Hell Hath No Fury Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hell Hath No Fury AleHell Hath No Fury Ale

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 11-03-2004)
4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

12 oz bottle

It was not at all what i was expecting. Poured nearly black and was thick and oily coming out of the bottle, almost like a porter or stout. it looked impressive in the glass though, all black and stuff.

Smelled of roasted malt, some earthy hops. It had no "funky yeast flavor" that i would associate with a belgian beer. I had no idea this was classified that way when i was drinking it!

Taste was great. Sweet, malty, earthy hops to balance, some dark fruit, and maybe just a slight licorice on the finish.

It was thick and full, but fuller than i would expect from a BSDA.

I could session this one, i had no idea it was 7.7%. I guess i need to find more of this, no matter what the classification is.

tayner, Feb 14, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Dark Ale? Ha! Black? Black as the Ace of Spades, it were. Black as night. Even the white bits were black.

It poured with a stunningly deep brown head, really thick, and about a finger's worth. The liquid itself was like heavyweight motor oil - really thick, viscous and deep, dark black in color. I ran and got my blankie, stuck my thumb in my mouth and began to cry out for my mommy. After I finally uncurled myself from my fetal-ball status, I found the courage to pick up my glass again. The nose was amazing - obviously yeast-driven with notes of plum, raisin, anise, and chocolate. What hath Hell and Bell wrought? The mouthfeel was thick and full with a taste of licorice on the palate. The finish had a chocolate/licorice taste. Yow! I liked it, but it was too much even for the likes of me.

woodychandler, Jan 20, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz. bottle in a snifter glass.

A - This is so dark brown I would almost classify it as black. Nice tan head that stays for a while.

S - Defenite chocolate and coffee. Slight hints of fruit but i can't make out what type.

T - Very much like the smell it has a strong chocolate taste with a roasted coffee hint.

M - Full bodied with good carbonation.

D - Great beer, very depressing to hear they are no longer brewing this. I hope that was wrong but just in case, buy it and try it while you can, it's a great beer.

jeffmonarch, Dec 22, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance - pours black with a thin mocha head that disappears to zilch. A nice color but no support.

Aroma - vanilla, roasted grain along with a sort of stale cardboard something or other. As it settles, I smell..gunpowder? Strange but strangely interesting.

Taste - some smoky malts are responsible for that gunpowder bit I reckon, I can taste it a bit. Some moderate sweet chocolate with roasted quality. A funky bit too. Not ruinous but distracting. Given the style, it's not a knock, just a comment. Finishes roasty, a bit funky, some parts tasty, some parts not. A chocolate ending is rather nice and long lasting, making for a favorable overall impression.

Mouthfeel - creamy, good carbonation, and full-bodied.

Drinkability - a good example of a dark Belgian with a stout leaning. Not my favorite but tasty.

brewdlyhooked13, Oct 30, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Ah, what a kick in the ass I received when I first tried this over a year ago. Back then I figured that this was just another stout, but upon my first sip I realized that this was a Belgian Stout! There is way too much roasted malt character to classify this as a pure Belgian, and way too much yeast character to call it a stout.

I just finished off my last bottle a couple of weeks ago, before I found out that they will be no longer producing HHNF. That's too bad. When I jump back on the homebrewing horse, I am going to try to clone this baby. It was just way too good.

Upgrayedd, Oct 26, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bottle a damn-near black color with a rich reddish-brown head. Lacing was on the light side.

Smell of caramel, toffee, and dark chocolate.

Taste is very much like the smell. Roasted chocolate, toffee, and dark fruit pop in this one. Roasted flavor hangs on at the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium with little carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden.

This is a real nice beer though I would never have guessed it was a Belgian Strong Dark Ale.

Monkeyknife, Sep 18, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Ahhh Bell's, how I miss you here in Illinois. At least Wisconsin and Indiana aren't that far from me! The Hell Hath No Fury pours into my glass a deep dark brown that is for all intensive purposes nearly black. A small tan head rises and falls to a ring atop the brew. Aromas of dark roasted malt featuring burnt coffee grounds, figs and some dark fruits. Somewhat toasty with a touch of anise, caramel and some yeasty tones as well. Interesting, but it doesn't really grab me.

First sip a somewhat burnt dark malt character that flows into a mix of smoky coffee, licorice, caramel, dark fruits, figs and some spiciness. Flows down with some yeasty qualities and only a touch of hops. Finishes dry with a bit of sweetness as well. This one just doesn't do it for me unfortunately.

Mouthfeel is actually on the light to medium side with lots of fast moving carbonation that explodes on the palate.. Goes down pretty easily. Overall, I was unable to figure out where this brew was going. If I see it again I'll probably give it another shot...but at this point it doesn't make me want to run back.

orbitalr0x, Sep 05, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Thin mocha head with a black body.
S- A very nice complex blend of dark fruits, light belgian funk, chocolate, coffee, cloves, and hints of bananas.
T- Follows the aroma in the taste. Just a bit more coffee to it. The bananas and fruits still manage to make their way through the big malt body. Some grass hops that leave a light to medium bitterness on mid tongue. Alcohol warms up back of throat just a bit along with the lingering flavors of grass hops (maybe a hint of citrus hops too), coffee, and dark esters.
M- Thin/medium body with medium carbonation.
D- It is pretty tasty. I would get more of this but wouldn't do a trade for it. Nice complex flavors and kind of crisp for a Belgian Stout too. My biggest complaint about it is the lack of body.

BlindPig, Aug 22, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Its kind of unfair for me to be reviewing this beer after I’ve had so much draft exposure to it. I seem to prefer a lot of beers from the tap – generally a freshness issue – but both this beer and Hopslam seem bigger and more voluptuous from the tap. This review is from the bottle, alas.

Black as nite. Amazing layers of stacked, brown foam.

From the bottle, the nose is actually somewhat unpleasing. Porterish, tripel, Belgian stout. Familiar funky Bell’s yeast footprint. Chameleon-like.

The taste here is an interesting interplay of cacoa, smoke, Belgian yeast after-effects, dry. The world needs more Belgian stouts, even if it has to get them in hybridized forms such as this.

MF Carbonation rather slack, girth full. RIS-like. Clearly skull cracking.

GreenWBush, Aug 21, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz bottle. It pours a deep deep brown to black color with very little light working through it. A 3 finger pillowy deep tan colored head falls to a half an inch over top. This is a nice looker here. The aroma is nice and fruity. I find a good bit of deep and sweet figgy notes with an estery banana and a hint of candied sugar sweetness. I like what is going on here. The flavor brings an interesting dichotomy of flavors. On one hand, it is slightly roasty and even a bit phenolic smokey and on the other it is estery, fruity and slightly sugary sweet. I'm not sure the two are blending well together for my taste, as the deeper roast and smoke are dominant over the other flavors. I was hoping for more raisin in there. The mouthfeel is very silky and moderate in body with no carbonation to speak of. I think a little bubble would have made the feel a little nicer to me. Drinkability is okay for this one. Though the flavors are not quite what I expected given the aroma, I like it.

kmpitz2, Aug 15, 2007
3.45/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a very dark, opaque, amber...almost black...with a dark tan head that melts to some seriously sticky lacing.

Aromas are full of caramels, brown sugar, and molassis. Overall impression as it warms is very dark cookie dough.

Taste is a little disappointing after the promises made by the aroma.
Some toasted or roasted malt, burnt dark sugar lacking the sweetness I expected, a little dark fruit and then alcohol.

Aftertaste is sort of powdery like dough or flour...that and alcohol with the burnt malt. Mouthfeel is adequate for style.

IntriqKen, Aug 14, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured into a Westmalle goblet and the batch number is 7673.I enjoyed this while listening to the new Disavowed cd.This beer is to be savored!

This has to be the best looking belgian beer I have ever seen.Upon opening the bottle I thought I smelled some yeast.Thick brown head that sizzles away.Fades to a big patch of brown in the glass and a nice ring.I taste chocolate,dark fruits and malty goodness.I smell the dark fruits in the beer.This taste more like a RIS or a porter.The color of the beer is very dark red/black.The taste lingers in your mouth for a bit.This beer seems a bit sticky and Bells may have had a hell of a time cleaning out the fermentation tanks.I like this beer,I cant taste any hop flavor in it.I would for sure have this beer again if I can find it on tap or bottle.I cant taste the booze at all.It has a very creamy mouthful and goes down very easy.The beer poured out like sludge,when the beer warms up you can really smell the dark fruits.I cant get over the chocolate taste in here,it is very good.I want another one for my cellar to replace the one I just had.Very good beer from Bells and worth a try if you happen to see it in stores.Great job Bells.

MmmIPA, Jul 23, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured a deep reddish-brown color with moderate off-white head.
Smell is nicely malty with strong notes of ripe dark fruit (raisins, plums, dates)
Taste is extraordinary with strong dark fruity malt and a slight touch of hops at the finish.
Rich and full in the mouth with nice taste retention.
Way too easy to drink considering the alcohol content. Truly a superb beer.

tgbljb, Jul 22, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Sampled on 7-11-07
Batch 7673
Bottled on 10-11-06

Pours a deep red color with a bubbly, short-lasting tan head. No lacing.

Smell is subdued, meaty, with a hint of Belgian.

Taste is slightly sweet and fruity at the very beginning, followed by huge and long-lasting coffee/smokiness.

Mouthfeel is good, thinness keeps the sweetness from overpowering.

Drinkability is not so good, sticky flavors start to build up.

Overall, a very, very odd brew. Like a malty Belgian-porter hybrid. A bit unbalanced, but a good choice for something different.

Score Edited: 10-10-08
Batch 8739

BMoney575, Jul 12, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

The bottle seemed to recommend listening to country western music. I don't know about that. It also had no mention of what style the brewer was aiming for. I was partially through the glass and had some difficulty discerning what it was before reviewing.

Opaque dark brown, mahogany seems to be the word. Fine head with good froth and initial retention, but after the cap fades, there is merely a rim of foaming and little lacing. Not the bubbly personality of the bottle-conditioned Belgian ales, but great for a stout or schwarzbier.

A little tiny bit of sweetness, almost like a hint of cream, is barely discernible among dark malts. It's not bitter roast, although a hint of bitterness from light peppery hopping. The yeast character does okay, not the most potent or outstanding of smooth phenolics. The whole thing leans a different way than "Belgian strong dark" to me.

When i was drinking it before knowing the style, I was thinking that it was maybe a Belgian dark ale, but there was just enough brown rum and thick molasses, slight roast flavor to be a stout. To grab Belgian Strong Dark by the tail it should be more carbonated, lending that full-but-light characteristic. Plenty of complex flavor, great body overall, and I would have rated it higher as a drinkable dark ale, akin to a Chambly Noire and probably a bit better, but the marketing is a bit dramatic.

BretSikkink, Jul 10, 2007

Aroma: Huge esters, spicy, alcohol, light roast, slight horse blanket or barnyard.

Appearance: Black with a tan head that swirls the surface and rings the glass edge.

Flavor: Tons of complex flavors...Malt sweetness, chocolate, roasted, Huge Alcohol, Toffee, Caramel, biscuit. All mixed together with a bitterness at the end that doesn't linger too bad because of the malt sweetness that carries into the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-Full bodied Ale that's actually light on the CO2 but this was bottled conditioned and higher gravity beers are harder to get to carbonate well.

Overall Impression: A Belgian Ale? A barley wine? or maybe a Belgian Wine. =) ... I have no idea but for sure one of the more Eccentric side of Bell's Brewing. I watched this beer grow, if you will, at the Eccentric Cafe. It was on tap many, many times before it hit the bottle. For sure worth a try!

sullysbeer, Jul 10, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Acquired via trade from northertimber, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color with a thin tan head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is loaded with Belgian yeast, chocolate and dark fruit, with a touch of hops.

T: The taste is rich and very-well balanced with flavors of dark chocolate, Belgian yeast and a touch of dark fruit. The malt character is very hearty and the hops presence is mild. The after-taste is bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, light-to-medium carbonation, sticky finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, good representation of style, good kick to it, I could certainly drink quite a few of these. This is a good beer to stick with for an evening.

TheManiacalOne, May 17, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours dark brown, almost black, with a medium light tan head that dissipates to a compact leftover. Thin rings of lacing. Smoked aroma of coffee and roasted malt. Medium-bodied with a smoky character, and roasted malt, dark fruit and coffee flavors. Some figs as well. The finish is malty and fruity with a lingering roasty aftertaste. Very good overall.

Dogbrick, May 11, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured out a coffee-like, black color with a mocha, one-figner head. The head quickly dissapated.

S - It smelled of malt and dried fruits. Possibly some orange, too.

T - It has a caramel-like maltiness. Also, a spicy hop quality and some bittersweet chocolate.

M - It was smooth and slightly creamy. A heavy-bodied beer.

D - An oustanding Bell's product. It almost reminds me of an RIS or great porter.

zeff80, Apr 18, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

Hell Hath No Fury 12oz bottle at 45-50F from Goblet

A: Pitch Black, ink like brew with very thin almost faint tan/brown head. Very imposing like a woman scorned.

S: Almost everything dark is thrown in here. You could say bittersweet chocolate, burnt caramel, coffee, and some hop bitterness. Some fruit-like sweetness. Also an ash like bitter scent of roasted grain. This beer needs serious cellaring to allow these flavors to mellow and clean up the taste so it is more homogenous. I should have let it sit. Next year

T: very similar to the odor but more molasses like with less hops. Some esters necessary to call this a Belgian Strong. Finish is strong and astringent and tastes like old coffee. The goods are here but it needs more time and perhaps less roasted grain in the bill.

M: Surprisingly light and runny. The carbonation is good for a Belgian.

D: Tough to finish a whole one. I like what they are trying to do. I don't think that it was that successful, but I think it is well worth a try.

BWH3, Apr 09, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

Darkest mahogany with toasted pecan trim. I've seen plenty of stouts that weren't this dark. The wonderful looking cap is buttered wheat toast brown. Although it doesn't match the rocky majesty of a true BSDA, it's a looker in its own right. So far I'm impressed.

I like the nose as well. It's dark malty and is spicy enough to make me believe that an actual Belgian yeast strain was used. As long as the phenolic nature of the aroma stays in the background, the flavor and I will get along just fine.

Hell Hath No Fury doesn't quite get it done on the palate. I respect Bell's enough to judge this beer as I would a BSDA from Belgium. The sad truth is, it comes up considerably short. It's still a little on the cool side, so I'll be interested to see if I change my tune once it warms a little.

The first thing that strikes me is how much the beer feels like a double stout in the mouth. It's full and could even be considered borderline syrupy thanks to all the mouthcoating. That lush, sticky feeling is accentuated by a relative lack of carbonation (relative, at least, to a Belgian ale). Since I like this sort of mouthfeel, I think it's great.

The flavor seems a little dumbed down to me. Most of the usual style elements are present: ripe figs, dark candi sugar, dark rum, cocoa, molasses... even anise. Clove spice is present and accounted for as well. For some reason, though, they don't meld into the wonderfully complex whole that the world's best versions deliver. It's hard to put into words. I know a great BSDA when I drink one and I'm not drinking one right now.

I was interested to see how one of the best breweries in American would approach one of my favorite styles. While I can't say that I'm completely disappointed, I have no desire to buy another bottle if no changes are made. Hell Hath No Fury Ale hath a lot of potential, but it ain't there yet.

BuckeyeNation, Apr 05, 2007

12 oz. bottle that has to have the best or one the best Bell's label around. You could easily spot this beer at your local beer shop, because of its bright pink label and its sweet ass funny picture. On this bright pink label is a big ring of fire that has these cartoon characters of the devil and his very grumpy wife. These cartoon characters remind me of a cartoon that aired back in back in the 90's called "Rocko's Modern Life." They look very similar. I'm sure Bell's was going for the old saying "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorn" because this label depicts the devil's wife getting ready to verbally assault him. You can see that the devil knows what's coming to him because of how he is grinning and the way he's standing so un guilty like. The devil had to do something to upset her and I'm guessing he either sent his mother in law to the farthest region of hell or he was flirting with another younger and more attractive woman devil. I couldn't help but notice that these characters are about to argue on a green pasture. I thought hell was supposed to be all fire and brimstone. I guess they're in the nice part of hell. The back label has the same pink coloring, but with a little blurb about the beer, Government warning, and a batch # you input into their website to see when it was packaged. Mine was batch #7673, which means it was packaged on October 11, 2006. It's a label you need to see with your own eyes to believe. Served in a Lion Brewery tulip/goblet.

Appearance: What came out of the bottle was a beer that was the same color as the devil's hart, dark BLACK! Maybe it wasn't as black as the devil's heart because I could see a glimmer of ruby red highlights at the bottom of the beer. It had a small skim of foam that had a color that was a cross between a Cherry Coke red and a light mocha tan/brown. When it dissipated away, it left behind a trace of Cherry Coke/mocha rings and just a minimal amount of sticky lace. Not as nice as the appearance of the label, but very few things can claim that distinction.

Smell: It smells like the devil took all the flavors in the aroma put them on his pitchfork like skewer and then roasted them over one of the many open fiery pits in hell. That means you I could smell roasted malts, roasted dark chocolate, a dash of roasted dark fruits, and just a hint of roasted herbal hops at the end. When it warms up, the roasted flavors settle down quite a bit and an aroma of non-roasted fresh red raspberries emerges from out of nowhere and takes over. The red raspberries were an unexpected treat.

Taste: This is where you get to taste all those roasted over a fiery pit in hell flavors that you smelled. That means you get plenty of roasted and slightly burnt malts, dark fruits, bitter dark chocolate, mixed nuts, and herbal hops. Like the smell, the taste too had an unexpected treat. This time it wasn't raspberries, it was fresh grapes. When I first tasted the grapes, I thought where did this taste come from? I honestly don't care where they came from. Toward the bottom of the glass, the grapes are then replaced by a yeast flavor. I know where that came from. Every flavor in this beer was getting replaced by another flavor until it couldn't give any more.

Mouthfeel: I would have to say that the mouthfeel is medium bodied, not too dry, very little carbonation, and with an aftertaste of roasted malts, roasted dark chocolate, and a few herbal hops. Toward the bottom it does get really yeasty, but I knew that was coming. With all of these roasted and burnt flavors, I was expecting a taste of alcohol somewhere, but it just didn't come to me.

Drinkability: Hell Hath No Fury like a very unusual beer from Bell's Brewery. If given the chance, I would pick this beer up again. If you like to be surprised in a good way when it comes to a beer, then pick one up (you can't miss this label at the store) or trade for one. I don't care what category this beer falls into, it's just a really good beer that I enjoyed.

AltBock, Apr 05, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Almost pitch black liquid. When held to a light, some dark brown/ redness can be seen around the edges. A nice, thin creamy light brown head forms and settles to a sheet that covers the entire top and sticks around for awhile. No lacing.

S- This is very interesting. Some coffee, chocolate, black licorice, some burnt plastic? Dark fruit. Kind of sweet. There is a definite Belgian note to this, but it does seem much more subdued now that it has had some time to sit in the cellar.

T- Same as the aroma. The flavor really lingers well after the swallow. It has a smoky aspect to the flavor as well. Maybe a little beef jerky in there too.

M- A little on the dry side. The carbonation keeps things on the lighter side.

D- This beer really grew on me. I was really not a fan at first, but it ended up being a pleasant experience this time around.

david131, Apr 03, 2007
Photo of
3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle.

Black as night in color. When held up to a strong light, appears to be a clear, mahogany color at the edges. Modest, brown colored, head.

Aroma hit me with dark fruits, mainly raisins & figs. Roast/burnt toast. Molasses. Just a bit of soy sauce, particularly as it warmed.

Taste was, initially, roasted malt & burnt toast. As it warmed, it quickly became more sweet than bitter, with the raisins, figs and caramel/molasses flavors coming out. Coffee made an appearance, mainly in aftertaste. Touch of soy in taste as well.

Medium to heavy in body. Medium carbonation. Just a bit dry.

Overall, a nice beer, but didn't turn my world upside down. Not sure if it was expectation or palate, but I assumed this was a stout when I poured it (had no idea of the style), and after drinking it, it strikes me as quite stout like. Never would have guessed BSDA.

, Mar 19, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Dark, opague, almost black color with a moderate chocolate colored head that disipates pretty quickly, only traces of lace.

The aroma is coffe, raisins, cherries, cloves ans anise.

The taste starts sweet with plums, raisins and figs then a mild espresso coffee note followed by hint of chocolate.Overall there are clove, anise and allspice notes, particularly in the finish along with a definite alcohol warmth.

Medium/heavy bodied, almost chewy but fairly smooth and drinkable, although this is more for sipping after dinner than chugging for a session. It actually went well with corned beef and cabbage, although grilled steak would probably be even better.

whynot44, Mar 18, 2007
Hell Hath No Fury Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.