Hell Hath No Fury Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hell Hath No Fury AleHell Hath No Fury Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 11-03-2004)
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz bottle. It pours a deep deep brown to black color with very little light working through it. A 3 finger pillowy deep tan colored head falls to a half an inch over top. This is a nice looker here. The aroma is nice and fruity. I find a good bit of deep and sweet figgy notes with an estery banana and a hint of candied sugar sweetness. I like what is going on here. The flavor brings an interesting dichotomy of flavors. On one hand, it is slightly roasty and even a bit phenolic smokey and on the other it is estery, fruity and slightly sugary sweet. I'm not sure the two are blending well together for my taste, as the deeper roast and smoke are dominant over the other flavors. I was hoping for more raisin in there. The mouthfeel is very silky and moderate in body with no carbonation to speak of. I think a little bubble would have made the feel a little nicer to me. Drinkability is okay for this one. Though the flavors are not quite what I expected given the aroma, I like it.

08-15-2007 02:05:39 | More by kmpitz2
IntriqKen

3.45/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a very dark, opaque, amber...almost black...with a dark tan head that melts to some seriously sticky lacing.

Aromas are full of caramels, brown sugar, and molassis. Overall impression as it warms is very dark cookie dough.

Taste is a little disappointing after the promises made by the aroma.
Some toasted or roasted malt, burnt dark sugar lacking the sweetness I expected, a little dark fruit and then alcohol.

Aftertaste is sort of powdery like dough or flour...that and alcohol with the burnt malt. Mouthfeel is adequate for style.

08-14-2007 03:01:01 | More by IntriqKen
MmmIPA

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured into a Westmalle goblet and the batch number is 7673.I enjoyed this while listening to the new Disavowed cd.This beer is to be savored!

This has to be the best looking belgian beer I have ever seen.Upon opening the bottle I thought I smelled some yeast.Thick brown head that sizzles away.Fades to a big patch of brown in the glass and a nice ring.I taste chocolate,dark fruits and malty goodness.I smell the dark fruits in the beer.This taste more like a RIS or a porter.The color of the beer is very dark red/black.The taste lingers in your mouth for a bit.This beer seems a bit sticky and Bells may have had a hell of a time cleaning out the fermentation tanks.I like this beer,I cant taste any hop flavor in it.I would for sure have this beer again if I can find it on tap or bottle.I cant taste the booze at all.It has a very creamy mouthful and goes down very easy.The beer poured out like sludge,when the beer warms up you can really smell the dark fruits.I cant get over the chocolate taste in here,it is very good.I want another one for my cellar to replace the one I just had.Very good beer from Bells and worth a try if you happen to see it in stores.Great job Bells.

07-23-2007 14:59:35 | More by MmmIPA
tgbljb

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured a deep reddish-brown color with moderate off-white head.
Smell is nicely malty with strong notes of ripe dark fruit (raisins, plums, dates)
Taste is extraordinary with strong dark fruity malt and a slight touch of hops at the finish.
Rich and full in the mouth with nice taste retention.
Way too easy to drink considering the alcohol content. Truly a superb beer.

07-22-2007 01:25:16 | More by tgbljb
BMoney575

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Sampled on 7-11-07
Batch 7673
Bottled on 10-11-06

Pours a deep red color with a bubbly, short-lasting tan head. No lacing.

Smell is subdued, meaty, with a hint of Belgian.

Taste is slightly sweet and fruity at the very beginning, followed by huge and long-lasting coffee/smokiness.

Mouthfeel is good, thinness keeps the sweetness from overpowering.

Drinkability is not so good, sticky flavors start to build up.

Overall, a very, very odd brew. Like a malty Belgian-porter hybrid. A bit unbalanced, but a good choice for something different.

Score Edited: 10-10-08
Batch 8739

07-12-2007 00:36:00 | More by BMoney575
BretSikkink

Mexico

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

The bottle seemed to recommend listening to country western music. I don't know about that. It also had no mention of what style the brewer was aiming for. I was partially through the glass and had some difficulty discerning what it was before reviewing.

Opaque dark brown, mahogany seems to be the word. Fine head with good froth and initial retention, but after the cap fades, there is merely a rim of foaming and little lacing. Not the bubbly personality of the bottle-conditioned Belgian ales, but great for a stout or schwarzbier.

A little tiny bit of sweetness, almost like a hint of cream, is barely discernible among dark malts. It's not bitter roast, although a hint of bitterness from light peppery hopping. The yeast character does okay, not the most potent or outstanding of smooth phenolics. The whole thing leans a different way than "Belgian strong dark" to me.

When i was drinking it before knowing the style, I was thinking that it was maybe a Belgian dark ale, but there was just enough brown rum and thick molasses, slight roast flavor to be a stout. To grab Belgian Strong Dark by the tail it should be more carbonated, lending that full-but-light characteristic. Plenty of complex flavor, great body overall, and I would have rated it higher as a drinkable dark ale, akin to a Chambly Noire and probably a bit better, but the marketing is a bit dramatic.

07-10-2007 05:05:33 | More by BretSikkink
sullysbeer

Aroma: Huge esters, spicy, alcohol, light roast, slight horse blanket or barnyard.

Appearance: Black with a tan head that swirls the surface and rings the glass edge.

Flavor: Tons of complex flavors...Malt sweetness, chocolate, roasted, Huge Alcohol, Toffee, Caramel, biscuit. All mixed together with a bitterness at the end that doesn't linger too bad because of the malt sweetness that carries into the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-Full bodied Ale that's actually light on the CO2 but this was bottled conditioned and higher gravity beers are harder to get to carbonate well.

Overall Impression: A Belgian Ale? A barley wine? or maybe a Belgian Wine. =) ... I have no idea but for sure one of the more Eccentric side of Bell's Brewing. I watched this beer grow, if you will, at the Eccentric Cafe. It was on tap many, many times before it hit the bottle. For sure worth a try!

07-10-2007 00:55:12 | More by sullysbeer
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Acquired via trade from northertimber, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color with a thin tan head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is loaded with Belgian yeast, chocolate and dark fruit, with a touch of hops.

T: The taste is rich and very-well balanced with flavors of dark chocolate, Belgian yeast and a touch of dark fruit. The malt character is very hearty and the hops presence is mild. The after-taste is bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, light-to-medium carbonation, sticky finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, good representation of style, good kick to it, I could certainly drink quite a few of these. This is a good beer to stick with for an evening.

05-17-2007 02:23:21 | More by TheManiacalOne
Dogbrick

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours dark brown, almost black, with a medium light tan head that dissipates to a compact leftover. Thin rings of lacing. Smoked aroma of coffee and roasted malt. Medium-bodied with a smoky character, and roasted malt, dark fruit and coffee flavors. Some figs as well. The finish is malty and fruity with a lingering roasty aftertaste. Very good overall.

05-11-2007 18:16:31 | More by Dogbrick
zeff80

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

A - Poured out a coffee-like, black color with a mocha, one-figner head. The head quickly dissapated.

S - It smelled of malt and dried fruits. Possibly some orange, too.

T - It has a caramel-like maltiness. Also, a spicy hop quality and some bittersweet chocolate.

M - It was smooth and slightly creamy. A heavy-bodied beer.

D - An oustanding Bell's product. It almost reminds me of an RIS or great porter.

04-18-2007 04:09:10 | More by zeff80
BWH3

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

Hell Hath No Fury 12oz bottle at 45-50F from Goblet

A: Pitch Black, ink like brew with very thin almost faint tan/brown head. Very imposing like a woman scorned.

S: Almost everything dark is thrown in here. You could say bittersweet chocolate, burnt caramel, coffee, and some hop bitterness. Some fruit-like sweetness. Also an ash like bitter scent of roasted grain. This beer needs serious cellaring to allow these flavors to mellow and clean up the taste so it is more homogenous. I should have let it sit. Next year

T: very similar to the odor but more molasses like with less hops. Some esters necessary to call this a Belgian Strong. Finish is strong and astringent and tastes like old coffee. The goods are here but it needs more time and perhaps less roasted grain in the bill.

M: Surprisingly light and runny. The carbonation is good for a Belgian.

D: Tough to finish a whole one. I like what they are trying to do. I don't think that it was that successful, but I think it is well worth a try.

04-09-2007 20:01:40 | More by BWH3
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

Darkest mahogany with toasted pecan trim. I've seen plenty of stouts that weren't this dark. The wonderful looking cap is buttered wheat toast brown. Although it doesn't match the rocky majesty of a true BSDA, it's a looker in its own right. So far I'm impressed.

I like the nose as well. It's dark malty and is spicy enough to make me believe that an actual Belgian yeast strain was used. As long as the phenolic nature of the aroma stays in the background, the flavor and I will get along just fine.

Hell Hath No Fury doesn't quite get it done on the palate. I respect Bell's enough to judge this beer as I would a BSDA from Belgium. The sad truth is, it comes up considerably short. It's still a little on the cool side, so I'll be interested to see if I change my tune once it warms a little.

The first thing that strikes me is how much the beer feels like a double stout in the mouth. It's full and could even be considered borderline syrupy thanks to all the mouthcoating. That lush, sticky feeling is accentuated by a relative lack of carbonation (relative, at least, to a Belgian ale). Since I like this sort of mouthfeel, I think it's great.

The flavor seems a little dumbed down to me. Most of the usual style elements are present: ripe figs, dark candi sugar, dark rum, cocoa, molasses... even anise. Clove spice is present and accounted for as well. For some reason, though, they don't meld into the wonderfully complex whole that the world's best versions deliver. It's hard to put into words. I know a great BSDA when I drink one and I'm not drinking one right now.

I was interested to see how one of the best breweries in American would approach one of my favorite styles. While I can't say that I'm completely disappointed, I have no desire to buy another bottle if no changes are made. Hell Hath No Fury Ale hath a lot of potential, but it ain't there yet.

04-05-2007 13:42:59 | More by BuckeyeNation
AltBock

12 oz. bottle that has to have the best or one the best Bell's label around. You could easily spot this beer at your local beer shop, because of its bright pink label and its sweet ass funny picture. On this bright pink label is a big ring of fire that has these cartoon characters of the devil and his very grumpy wife. These cartoon characters remind me of a cartoon that aired back in back in the 90's called "Rocko's Modern Life." They look very similar. I'm sure Bell's was going for the old saying "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorn" because this label depicts the devil's wife getting ready to verbally assault him. You can see that the devil knows what's coming to him because of how he is grinning and the way he's standing so un guilty like. The devil had to do something to upset her and I'm guessing he either sent his mother in law to the farthest region of hell or he was flirting with another younger and more attractive woman devil. I couldn't help but notice that these characters are about to argue on a green pasture. I thought hell was supposed to be all fire and brimstone. I guess they're in the nice part of hell. The back label has the same pink coloring, but with a little blurb about the beer, Government warning, and a batch # you input into their website to see when it was packaged. Mine was batch #7673, which means it was packaged on October 11, 2006. It's a label you need to see with your own eyes to believe. Served in a Lion Brewery tulip/goblet.

Appearance: What came out of the bottle was a beer that was the same color as the devil's hart, dark BLACK! Maybe it wasn't as black as the devil's heart because I could see a glimmer of ruby red highlights at the bottom of the beer. It had a small skim of foam that had a color that was a cross between a Cherry Coke red and a light mocha tan/brown. When it dissipated away, it left behind a trace of Cherry Coke/mocha rings and just a minimal amount of sticky lace. Not as nice as the appearance of the label, but very few things can claim that distinction.

Smell: It smells like the devil took all the flavors in the aroma put them on his pitchfork like skewer and then roasted them over one of the many open fiery pits in hell. That means you I could smell roasted malts, roasted dark chocolate, a dash of roasted dark fruits, and just a hint of roasted herbal hops at the end. When it warms up, the roasted flavors settle down quite a bit and an aroma of non-roasted fresh red raspberries emerges from out of nowhere and takes over. The red raspberries were an unexpected treat.

Taste: This is where you get to taste all those roasted over a fiery pit in hell flavors that you smelled. That means you get plenty of roasted and slightly burnt malts, dark fruits, bitter dark chocolate, mixed nuts, and herbal hops. Like the smell, the taste too had an unexpected treat. This time it wasn't raspberries, it was fresh grapes. When I first tasted the grapes, I thought where did this taste come from? I honestly don't care where they came from. Toward the bottom of the glass, the grapes are then replaced by a yeast flavor. I know where that came from. Every flavor in this beer was getting replaced by another flavor until it couldn't give any more.

Mouthfeel: I would have to say that the mouthfeel is medium bodied, not too dry, very little carbonation, and with an aftertaste of roasted malts, roasted dark chocolate, and a few herbal hops. Toward the bottom it does get really yeasty, but I knew that was coming. With all of these roasted and burnt flavors, I was expecting a taste of alcohol somewhere, but it just didn't come to me.

Drinkability: Hell Hath No Fury like a very unusual beer from Bell's Brewery. If given the chance, I would pick this beer up again. If you like to be surprised in a good way when it comes to a beer, then pick one up (you can't miss this label at the store) or trade for one. I don't care what category this beer falls into, it's just a really good beer that I enjoyed.

04-05-2007 04:17:50 | More by AltBock
david131

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

A- Almost pitch black liquid. When held to a light, some dark brown/ redness can be seen around the edges. A nice, thin creamy light brown head forms and settles to a sheet that covers the entire top and sticks around for awhile. No lacing.

S- This is very interesting. Some coffee, chocolate, black licorice, some burnt plastic? Dark fruit. Kind of sweet. There is a definite Belgian note to this, but it does seem much more subdued now that it has had some time to sit in the cellar.

T- Same as the aroma. The flavor really lingers well after the swallow. It has a smoky aspect to the flavor as well. Maybe a little beef jerky in there too.

M- A little on the dry side. The carbonation keeps things on the lighter side.

D- This beer really grew on me. I was really not a fan at first, but it ended up being a pleasant experience this time around.

04-03-2007 00:44:23 | More by david131
Photo of

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

12oz bottle.

Black as night in color. When held up to a strong light, appears to be a clear, mahogany color at the edges. Modest, brown colored, head.

Aroma hit me with dark fruits, mainly raisins & figs. Roast/burnt toast. Molasses. Just a bit of soy sauce, particularly as it warmed.

Taste was, initially, roasted malt & burnt toast. As it warmed, it quickly became more sweet than bitter, with the raisins, figs and caramel/molasses flavors coming out. Coffee made an appearance, mainly in aftertaste. Touch of soy in taste as well.

Medium to heavy in body. Medium carbonation. Just a bit dry.

Overall, a nice beer, but didn't turn my world upside down. Not sure if it was expectation or palate, but I assumed this was a stout when I poured it (had no idea of the style), and after drinking it, it strikes me as quite stout like. Never would have guessed BSDA.

03-19-2007 13:43:41 | More by
whynot44

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Dark, opague, almost black color with a moderate chocolate colored head that disipates pretty quickly, only traces of lace.

The aroma is coffe, raisins, cherries, cloves ans anise.

The taste starts sweet with plums, raisins and figs then a mild espresso coffee note followed by hint of chocolate.Overall there are clove, anise and allspice notes, particularly in the finish along with a definite alcohol warmth.

Medium/heavy bodied, almost chewy but fairly smooth and drinkable, although this is more for sipping after dinner than chugging for a session. It actually went well with corned beef and cabbage, although grilled steak would probably be even better.

03-18-2007 04:48:31 | More by whynot44
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Sampled February 2007
Pours with a three finger thick, light brown cooled head that sits atop a perfectly porter colored beer. That is the beer is quite dark, really almost a perfect black color, that showed a dark brown, clear hue as I was pouring it. The aroma has fruity notes of plum to it up front, plus some roasted / burnt notes to it. Some faint earthy spice notes round things out; a sort of damp earth and clove amalgam of aromatic notes.

The beer is quite sweet and thick, in fact it is very chewy. Way too thick for a Belgian Dubbel, but hey this was already a beer outside any stylistic guides from the get go. The flavor is finished off by a burnt fig / raisin note, as well as notes of blackened caramel. While this is fairly sweet, I would not describe it in any way as saccharinely sweet. Instead the sweetness is from a plethora of complex malt sugars, which also serve to make this beer quite chewy. Light notes of clove, a touch of allspice, some hints of white pepper all fight to be noticed as they are buried underneath all of the malt. The malt character is at times toasty, definitely caramel like, with touches of toffee and burnt bread crust, really it reminds me in some ways of a traditional, black, German, holiday sweet bread.

If I had not been forewarned, I would have been sorely disappointed in this beer as it is so far from a traditional Belgian Ale, much less a Dubbel. Having said that though, I actually enjoyed this brew. Its biggest flaw is that it is too thick, it is almost a meal and even calling it chewy underestimates it.

03-17-2007 21:25:58 | More by Gueuzedude
blitz134

3.28/5  rDev -13%

Interesting looking brew. This is definately the darkest "Belgian Dark" I've had. Half inch of medium tan head on the pour, reduced to a skim layer with a ring around the glass.

An interesting mix of toasted malts with a touch of chocolate and some vinuous fruits underneath. Has a musty straw overtone as well. Also a bit of that belgian twang and this strange spicing that seems a lot like anise or sassafras...unique. Lots going on here, a bit out of the style...it gets bonus points for being unique.

Flavor isn't nearly as complicated. Initially it is fairly light flavored on the tongue and has some unripened vinuous aspects. Then there is a transition to a bit of a toasted flavor that isn't nearly as predominant as the nose hinted. Finishing flavor is Belgian sugar and yeast and that anise flavor again. Alcohol become evident after the swallow. This is just a bit strange overall, tastes kind of spiced.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium, maybe a bit more medium. A bit overcarbonated making it a bit too crisp on the tongue. Flavor lingers after the swallow.

Just average drinkability. Not necessarily hard to drink at the moment but this one is enough for me now and probably forever. Just a bit odd...unique sounds less derogatory though...

03-15-2007 03:03:49 | More by blitz134
brentk56

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: Arrives at the table with a root beer brown color and a ringlet of a head that leaves no lace

Smell: Vinous red wine and vinegar arome with a horse blanket element to it

Taste: Woody vinous flavor with a tobacco and horse blanket finish

Mouthfeel: Thick body with very little carbonation

Drinkability: Intriguing, but not my cup of tea

03-10-2007 20:13:14 | More by brentk56
NJpadreFan

3.4/5  rDev -9.8%

Bell's- Hell Hath No Fury Ale

Appearance- Murky brown with no head.
Smell- Light fruit aroma. Detected raisins, cherry, and prune.
Taste- Light dried fruit flavors came through, raisin, prune, and cherry with a mix of licorice.
Mouthfeel- Slight alcohol presence. Smooth and warming on the tongue.
Overall- A bit on the mild side, but tasty and a good choice.

03-10-2007 13:30:15 | More by NJpadreFan
Vancer

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

The almost black pour surprised me, thought it would have been lighter. Nice tan head caps this frothy brew.

Another surprise, almost no aroma here, just some lite pops of chocolate coffee malt. Very sharp and cutting taste of plums, raisons and figs. Hot alcohol presence, almost with a medicine touch. A Belgium yeasty peaks his head up from the corner.

Nice drinkin brew, kinda on the expensive side to really be a session brew, for me.

02-25-2007 20:08:16 | More by Vancer
foureyedgeek

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights around the edges, a dark tan head that rises quickly and falls to only the slightest ring of foam.

Smells of spices, anise and a little smoky, along with some sweet fruitiness. Big whiffs of alcohol as well.

Taste is much the same, the sweetness of the malts at the forefront but boy does that smokiness prevail in the finish. I've had this beer a few times and this is the first time I've got such a strong burnt flavor. Perhaps this beer's spent some time in hell, itself? The sweetness of the malts and sugars are nicely balanced by the roasty bitterness.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, though I was expecting something a little thicker or fuller in body.

Drinkability is pretty good, a session with this beer though and pretty soon you may be scorning your woman, and well you know the rest...

02-25-2007 02:54:16 | More by foureyedgeek
OStrungT

2.8/5  rDev -25.7%

This beer pours a very dark brown color. It is almost black. I can not see through it at all. It boasts a thin brown head that fades slowly leaving many laces.

This beer has a spicy aroma. It smells of cloves. It also has a slightly metallic aroma. Too bad. Some cherry is present. It has a slight bittersweet chocolate aroma as well.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Metalic flavor up front. Some spicyness. Chocolate covered cherries are also present. Unfortunately, the metalic flavor is dominate.

This beer leaves a metalic aftertaste. It is carbonated well.

I doubt this beer would make the best session beer. I am not sure if I got a bad bottle, or if this beer is just not very good.

Overall: I am sorry that I didnt like this one a bit more. I love Bells, and I love the style. Something just wasnt right this time. Thanks anyways ggaughan for giving me the chance to try this one.

02-20-2007 02:46:20 | More by OStrungT
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%

Thanks to rsyberg01 for the bottle

Let me start by saying I read nothing about this beer before I tried it, boy was I shocked!! Was expecting maybe a DIPA, or a brown ale...

Poured a deep dark brown, big thick brown creamy head faded quickly leaving a thin 1/2 inch clingy lacey gooey head that stuck till the bottom of the glass. The smell was classic belgian, sweet, dark cherries, but hints of caramel, even maybe chocolate, very full and nice bouguet. Maybe even a sherry or bourbon smell as well. Taste was wonderful, dark fruity flavors right up front, apricots, bananas, cherry, a bit of a bready taste and a nice dry finish. The feel was so much lighter tehn I though basedd on appearence, and that is a good thing in this case. Not thick at all, very nice light and lively consistency, nice carboination, dances around in the mouth, beautiful. This one really shocked me, mostly because I did not know it was a belgian strong dark, I thik I may do more blind reviews as it was a welcome suprise to say the least!

02-18-2007 14:35:57 | More by mikesgroove
bort11

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to nflmvp for this one.

12 os bottle poured into a tulip glass. Large 2-3 finger dark tan head head. Recedes to a filmy lace. Color is dark, dark brown/black.
Smell is malty with a chocolate presence. Slight floral hops noted. Taste is very floral compared to the smell.
Mouthfeel is is very full bodied and velvety smooth.
I don't know why this Bell's beer isn't readily available in my area as other Bell's. Go figure.

02-12-2007 04:29:15 | More by bort11
Hell Hath No Fury Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.