Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-30-2001

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Special Double Cream Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,382 | Hads: 3,491
3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

Raul was lucky enough to acquire this random offering, so he'll do it like he does.

Like The Cheesecake Factory, you don't have to get dressed up to drink this thang. Throw on your $12 Tommy Polo from Tily's and call it a day. Simply aite, just aite. Raul is drinking it, and that's about it. No explosions, no oral fireworks...just aite down the line.

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

shoutout to xxcarpxx for this extra

Poured a very thin black with brown edges with a finger and a half of khaki colored head.

The nose on this beer is chocolate, roasted malt and maybe a very slight touch of coffee. Definitely nothing special going on here...

Taste follows the nose. Chocolate up front, roasted malt, a hint of coffee and maybe a little bit of dark chocolate to finish it off. Just like the nose... pretty straight forward with not alot going on.

The mouthfeel had to be one of the most disappointing things about this beer. For a beer named Double Cream Stout I was expecting this luscious, full bodied, creamy stout. Instead I have this medium to light in body with a semi high amount of carbonation. Very thin, it does have a little bit of a creaminess to it but I would say that this is more like a smoothness than creamy mouthfeel.

Overall, this was just a very average beer. Decent nose on it, a good stout taste but nothing special. Dont get me started on the mouthfeel.... I would have loved to have the nose and flavor of this beer on a Double Cream Stout body and not such a thin body. Very easy drinking and if I were wanting to have multiple stouts, this would be one to go for. I know I'm hitting this one a little hard, but I'm still very appreciative of this extra. But outside of Hopslam, Bell's continues to underwhelm me.

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

Thanks to bobhits for sending me this one!

Pours an opaque black with a huge 3 inch khaki head that fades to a small cap. Nice rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, chocolate caramel, and aromas of dark fruit. Taste is of dark roasted malt and dark fruit with subdued coffee and cocoa flavors on the finish. Very mild bitterness on the palate quickly fades. This beer has a low almost flat level of carbonation making it thick and chewy in the mouth. Overall, this is a pretty good stout that apparently uses 10 different malts. I am glad I got to try this one but I wouldn't get it again most likely.

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Two-finger head, tan-chocolate foamy head. Brew is thin black color.

Tons of camp-fire smoke. Silky roasty nuts too. But, much too smoked.

Milky, smokey, nutty, and chocolatey. Dry, thin, slight dryness, and near brutal bitterness for a cream stout. Nice smooth carbonation.

Recommended brew, but there's nothing double or exciting about it, other then bitter-thiness. It was missing sweetness and depth and was over smoked thin nuttyness.

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a near black and I am having difficulty getting any light to pierce the beer. Dark brown head resting on top that never quite gave way. Nose was very subtle with some slight mocha notes.

Flavor is full of mocha and cocoa. Slight hints of coffee and licorice as well. Full mouthfeel that just thickens as it warms too. slihgtly dry but not quite. Aftertaste is full of candies--chcolate, licorice and caramel. Kind of a creamy flavor too.

3.47/5  rDev -12.8%

I was very excited to try the Double Cream Stout from Bell's. That excitement, unfortunately, faded on my first sip. It pours nicely and looks great, but the first smell was a bit burnt to me and it didn't lend itself well to the taste. I found this one to be a bit more burnt and bitter than I would expect from a cream stout. I was truly disappointed in it. I had extra bottles left over from the sixer I bought so I offered some friends a try and got the same response from them. Unfortunately, this is not one of the beers that will be gracing my home any time soon.

3.47/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance: Pitch black, with a coffee colored head that disipates rather quickly, minimal lacing.

Smell: Nice roasty, sugary, malty nose.

Taste: Nothing stands out particularly strong on this stout after the nice aroma. Not particularly sweet, fairly bland overall.

Mouthfeel: Suprisingly light body for a double cream stout, a touch of carbonation. Not the silky-smoothness I'm looking for in a cream stout. Pretty dry finish.

Drinkability: Says 6.1 ABV on the bottle, not the 7.5 it says here. Its not a particularly heavy beer, and with the ABV at a reasonable level, you could certainly have many of these, but the beer just doesnt do that much for me. It will probably be my last.

3.47/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Two finger, cappuccino colored head, foamy but not dense, dissipates to a thin ring with a little lacing on the glass. Dark, coffee colored liquid, not quite opaque.

Light aromas of coffee, dark chocolate and roasted malt.

Taste follows the smell with little additional flavor.

Very smooth and silky on the tongue, moderate carbonation.

Overall, good but underwhelming. Nothing stands out, either good or bad. It's not going to replace my Satin Solitude any time soon.

3.47/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From: Hyvee, Council Bluffs, IA
Date: Bottled 09/26/2012
Glass: New Belgium globe glass

I never thought I'd say "too much roasted malt" in a stout, but Bell's seems to have created a beer that pushes those elements to the limit I can tolerate. Perhaps it's the blend of malts used, too much black patent or black barley perhaps, but the acridness and ash that seem most prominent in the beer are not as appealing without some equally present sweetness, non-acrid roasted malt, and chocolate flavors to balance them out. One I would probably not seek out again.

Pours a 2cm head of dark tan foam, made up of small bubbles with above average retention, gradually fading to a thin ring around the glass' perimeter. Lacing is quite good, heavy foam sticks to all insides around the glass. The body of the beer is an opaque black color, with light bringing out only the slightest change in amber orange hues. Carbonation is not very active, a few struggling bubbles move upwards along the sides of the glass.

Aroma is of sharp, acrid roasted malts or black barley, with a bitter ester profile lingering in the background. I'm not detecting any coffee, and the only chocolate is burnt and somewhat ashen. There is not much apparent sweetness from malt contributions here. At times I'm reminded of the smell from a grocery store's imitation of an Oreo cookie - you know, the burnt chocolate with artificial sweetener-like aspect.

The overall flavor profile of the beer is heavy on the very roasted malts, such as black barley or highly roasted barley with its husks. While I enjoy roast and acrid quite a bit, there was something about the malt combination here that was not full enough for me, too heavy on char and ash and rather empty on the filling sweetness
Front of palate picks up raspberry-like fruit esters along with semi-sweet roasted-meets-base malt characters. Mid-palate has fairly intense charred malt flavor along with what comes across to me as extremely dense, sharp raspberries in equally sharp cacao nibs, and some black ash. That is to say, there is not much sweetness in the mid-palate. Back has dark cacao nibs, raspberry-like esters, and heavily charred (black) malts with moderate acridity; again, not much sweetness. Aftertaste is lingering char (black patent malt?), ash, roasted malt, mild roasted coffee bean, and cacao nibs.

Beer is medium-light in body, with medium-low carbonation. The resulting mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery, not particularly good for this style. Certainly smooth and creamy, but apparently at the expense of richness and fullness. Closes dry, with little residual stickiness across the palate.

3.46/5  rDev -13.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Thick black pour creates a nice finger of coffee colored head. Great lacing.

S - Coffee and Chocolate

T - Sweet cream and chocolate followed by roasted grains and coffee. A touch of hop bitterness and alcohol on the back end adds a subtle spiciness.

M - Heavy and creamy. This one stays on the tongue.

O - Not a bad cream stout, but not in elite territory.

3.46/5  rDev -13.1%

Served in a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock glass - as I am doing with all of my Bell's stouts (from a recent shipment). 12 oz bottle.

Minimal head, barely sticks to the glass. Not really much of a big smell - however, a sweet stout with low alcohol is clear from the smell and first sip.

Taste is good; but really not as stout-like as other - a little disapointing for what I was expecting.

Carbonation seems a bit high - alcohol is low, no question about it.

Very easy to drink, very smooth (the carbonation is short-lasting in the mouth) and flavor does linger a silky chocolate/cream.

Definitely worth a try, Top-notch brewery and easily drinkable.

3.46/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Stone IPA glass. Nice dark appearance with thin beige foam.

Smell is nothing special in my opinion, mostly roasted malt aroma with a little sour smell mixed in. Unfortunately the flavor is about the same. Wasn't as thick or creamy as I hoped based on the name. Just a run-of-the-mill stout to me.

I won't seek it out again.

12oz bottle, served in a DFH signature glass

A - pours about a finger worth of loose, bubbly and soapy dark khaki foam...falling and crackling slowly as it warms. the beer is quite dark, just a tinge of dark brown hue when held up to a bright light. spotty lacing throughout the drink.

S - adequate amounts of roasted malts, bitter chocolate, some fresh coffee...sweetness comes in as some vanilla, butterscotch. faint earthy hops round out at the end.

T - starts off a bit sweeter than the nose would indicate. bittering slightly watered down coffee kicks in after an initial kick of vanilla, lactose, brown sugar, cream. disappointingly kind of fades to nothing after the bitterness, just a slight bit of earthy hops.

M - drinks very thin, and carbonation is quite overdone and very distracting. adds an astringent prickly feel and not very pleasing (yet void?) aftertaste.

D - maybe i just dont enjoy this style very much, but this one just doesnt hold up very well for me. the flavors are there but fall off very quickly, succumbing to an unappealing mouthfeel. i was contemplating pouring this for a bit before i decided to suck it up...not an awful beer, just not for me.

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into pint glass.
A: Very dark brown. Little carbonation and almost no head.
S: Roast malt and subtle coffee and caramel notes. Fairly weak aroma.
T: Coffee, roast malts, and a hint of sweetness. There's also a bite that lingers thoughout. Not as robust a flavor as I was expecting, nor as smooth and sweet as is typical for a milk/cream stout.
M: Fairly smooth and light. Wish it was a little heavier.
D: Could have more than one, but I'd rather move onto a different milk/cream stout as there are several better representatives.
A decent brew, but not great.

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%

Had this on-tap at Fries Cafe in Clifton during BeerFest 08.

Appearance: Pours dark to medium chocolate brown with a very short tan head. The head fades quickly, leaving light rings of sticky lacing behind.

Smell: Smells first and foremost of burned coffee beans - not toasty, but burned. It's followed by a strong sweet smell somewhat like whipped cream or cake icing with some vanilla.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very strong and direct burned coffee taste, like drinking black coffee that was scorched in the carafe after sitting on the hotplate too long. It is tempered only slightly by the sweet cream taste I was expecting from the scent - I wish it was a little stronger in the mix to balance out the burned note. The carbonation is good, adding lightness and maybe contributing to the distinct bright, almost tart flavor that this beer leaves as I swallow. I almost have to say something lemony, which seems not to make any sense in this style. I try another drink - same thing. It's very strange, adn my mouth puckers a little each time I swallow as it only hits me as it's going down.

Drinkability: moderate to low - too many competing strong tastes make it hard to get through very quickly.

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%

12oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.

A - Pours a pitch black with two-fingers of dark khaki head. Retention is decent, lasting for a few minutes. Lacing is fantastic as it leaves almost an entire curtain around the glass.

S - Smell is of slightly roasted malts, but not to the extent of other stouts out there. This seems a bit more balanced, carefully blending milk chocolate, espresso, and an edge of sweetness. Something smells a bit... off in the back-end of the nose but I can't place it...

T - Taste is a bit sweeter than many other stouts I've had and it lasts throughout the drink. Like in the nose, this beer doesn't lean too far toward too heavy in espresso or bittersweet chocolate, which is a nice compromise, but I feel it also leaves it in limbo. There's no defining taste here, but rather a mellow blend of malts. Some hop bitterness comes through in the finish.

M - Mouthfeel is creamy and silky smooth. Finish is long and, for a change, surprisingly sweet.

D - Drinkability is moderate. The flavors are nice and balanced, but as mentioned before, don't pop out at me. It's a solid drink, but nothing I would actively seek out again.

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%

Thanks to Thorpe429 for this one as a bonus!

12oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Batch code equates to being packaged Dec 18, 2009. Bell's is my new favorite brewery for having a proprietary code but having the Batch Finder right on the top of every page of their website. Kudos!

Appearance: Pours a slick black with cappuccino-like head that fades in under a minute with no lacing.

Nose: Lots of roasty coffee notes and some creaminess too. Smells like a rich, full Irish nitro stout.

Palate: Big and full up front but snapping drastically sharp with some acidity. Coffee-like flavors and bitterness, some smoky cream. But man, there's some acid there. Weird. Like coffee left on the burner too long. No sweetness or body that other reviewers talked about.

Notes: After tasting and re-tasting this beer, I'm not so sure about it. The acidity level is way too high for what I would expect from a Double Cream Stout. Wonder if it isn't holding up well, or if this was an off bottle. Bummer. Should try again.

Edit: Tried a bottle of Batch 10151 (aka 01/25/11) on 8/27/11 and there's no acidity at all. Just smooth and creamy. Score for taste and mouthfeel reflect this bottle.

3.44/5  rDev -13.6%

A- Smooth fluffy tan head. Dark stout appearance.

S- Sweet and boozey.

T- Very sweet, bitter, and creamy all at the same time.

M- Creamy and smooth

D- Easy drink, however it just doesn't taste good enough to earn a high drinkability rating.

Overall it has a very nice mouthfeel, however at this price point I expect it to be a lot more balanced.

3.44/5  rDev -13.6%

I received this in a bottle from a Mix a Six pack at my local retailer.

It appeared with a dark brown color with a 1/4 inch head on top. It smelled very nice with hints of half & half cream (hence the name), malt, roasted barley, and coffee.

The taste was what one would expect from a decent midline priced stout from a microbrewery. Not underwhelming, not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel was creamy, cool and not real gritty. I was expecting a little bit more of a creamy texture but just received a typical stout taste.

Overall for price point, this one is a bit high. I've had better and far worse. This one is middle of the road for me. I wouldn't buy a whole pack but if offered to me, I wouldn't turn it down.

3.44/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pretty dark, pinky head with legs.

S- Kinda bland, not much going on here. Burnt toffee, caramels.

T- I was hoping for more of a creamy taste. Thin, and not much cream.

M- Thin. If you are a fan of Black Note, it appears that Expedition is carrying the load on that one.

O- I was really hoping for more with this beer considering that I like batch 1 750ml Black Note more than Batch 2 and the 12ozers.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I honestly don't get any creaminess, no velvety texture, no nothing from this stout. In fact, it's generically roasty, maybe some stale coffee notes or some such, and not much else. Thought it was a dated bottle issue, but I tried with a freshie, and it still just wasn't especially good. Kalamazoo beats the pants off this thing.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a nice creamy head with better then average retention. Aroma of subtle chocolate and coffee. Taste is less pronounced then expected with some sweet chocolate malt and a very subtle coffee touch. No bitterness to speak of but a nice creamy well carbonated body. The finish is a bit too watery for my taste. Good but may be a bit overrated in my mind.

3.43/5  rDev -13.8%

12oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a thick 1/2" light brown head above a dark, dark brown/black brew. Long-lasting head that laced excellently. Aroma is sweetly of dark malts, perhaps to a fault, with no balancing bitterness seemling present at all. Taste follows the nose, with sweetness dominant, to a fault, and ends up with a tinge of bitterness, but almost too little, too late. Mouthfeel is nowhere near as smooth as one would expect from a cream stout, kind of disappointing, and drinkability is a bit better, but one could certainly find a more desirable lot from Bell's stable.

3.43/5  rDev -13.8%

I'll admit I'm not a huge stout fan, but I'm working my way through as many Bell's beers as I can get my hands on and this was next in line.

Poured a 12oz bottle into a crystal mug.

A: Pitch black with a dark tan head of froth.

S: A sharp character with lots of roasted malt and ground coffee. Notes of scotch and tangy mashed grains.

T: Creamy, but not as milky as, say, Left Hand Milk Stout. Slightly bitter, malty and with a sour middle. Bitter malty finish. I'd like it to be a little sweeter.

D: Just a trial beer for me, I wouldn't get this in a sixer or anything.

3.43/5  rDev -13.8%

A: rich jet black and yields a generous fluffy mocha colored head. appears as a nice stout should, inviting and warm.
S: chocolate and roasted malt. little bit of coffee but really just plays background to the roast. mild overall but pleasing for sure.
T: the overload of roasted malts gives it plenty of solid flavor, and quite tasty. my initial response is that it is a milk stout because i
get some of those familiar lactose qualities, but alas ive been proven wrong.
M: pretty damn creamy and smooth. it actually gets a little light on the back end where the roastiness dissipates just a little bit, but overall quite nice. i had this with some lamb and spicy rice and it really made the meal a totally enjoyable experience.
D: close to room temp this really just goes down so easy and i could see a future with a few more. its a nice break from the huge viscous stouts ive been settling in with so far this winter.

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.