Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-30-2001

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Special Double Cream Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,382 | Hads: 3,493
3.28/5  rDev -17.6%

This stuff is black out of the gates with a chocolate milk like foamy head. Head sticks around for a hot minute or two. Some lacing produced. I like the darkness. I have hope.

The smell is of malt and souring milk with some coffee and baker's chocolate notes. Nothing that makes my mouth water. Not foul by any means, just not all that exciting. Quite a neutral aroma.

This is milk stout. Some milky taste that stirs up a feeling of coffee and cream. Low hops profile. The body is somewhat thick but in more of a dairy sense than an oily sense. Quite sweet and dairy like. I can't really perceive any carbonation on my tongue. This is not a repulsive brew by any stretch of the imagination, but I would most likely not try this again. This style seems to lack the things I love about stouts. The milk factor seems to really dull things out. Namely the bitterness and roasted feeling of stout brews. Bell's has much finer drinks available in my opinion.

3.27/5  rDev -17.8%

doesn't allow any light through. has a dark brown head that fades very fast.
the standard porter coffee and chocolate smell, but with a hind of tobacco maybe.
carries the coffee and chocolate into the flavor. the bitterness masked well by the cream, almostlike a latte.
very thick and creamy leaving the mouth feel coated.
very enjoyable.

3.26/5  rDev -18.1%

A: BLACK, with a small dirty head

S: Def. coffee, with a hint of sweet vanilla

T: Bitter roast, chocolate, almost burnt espresso taste

M: Very nice smooth finish but bitter taste was a bit overwhelming. The creamy texture is probably the best part of this beer.

3.26/5  rDev -18.1%

Bottle, batch 8273 (12/19/07). Pours black with no head. Aroma of raisin and sweet malt, light chocolate notes. Flavor is sweet and raisiny initially with a roasty finish. Unfortunately this is past it's prime, but I didn't realize how old it was when I purchased it. It's decent overall though.
6/4/7/3/14 (3.4/5)

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

Little lacing on this very dark beer.

It had some coffee flavor, but I would say it tasted more like a milk stout than expected. This is probably why the smell wasn't as good as expected either.

With the name, I expected a more creamier stout. So I was a little dissappointed.

I thought it had a little too much carbonation, and thought it had a medium body at best. Again, expectations were a full body creamy stout.

Obviously it didn't meet my expectations but it was still a good beer. I probably wouldn't spend a night drinking these..

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

Pour is nearly opaque with a bit of dark brown around the edges. a thin band of dark tan lacing.
The aroma is roasty formost and really dark cacao.
Flavor wise there is a roast that is very espresso like in many ways, smooth and creamy with a tight refined roast. Very chocolate like, and some lactose flavors.
The mouthfeel is full for a stout this size, middle of the road carbination.

A solid stout.

3.23/5  rDev -18.8%

Overall your traditional black color with tan halo around the rim. Leaves a touch of lacing as well. Not much of a nose honestly, maybe a touch of roasty malt and coffee. Taste is a slight dark fruitiness with coffee bitterness and a twinge of creaminess. Overll mouthfeel is light and airy for a stout. Not really all that wild about this. It doesn't seem to have the depth I thought it would. Just seems like another stout to me.

3.23/5  rDev -18.8%

This poured a deep, murky black with a minimal head, and small bubbles throughout. Nice lookin'. Aromas of roasty malt, burnt popcorn (in a good way), and coffee hints. Tasted malty, a bit sweet (do I detect lactose sugars?), some roasty flavors, altogether rather light. Mouthfeel was a bit light and watery, clean aftertaste. Well-made, but I am a fan of bigger, badder stouts... good for the style.

3.22/5  rDev -19.1%

The serving is black. A thin layer of black-tinged foam dissipates gradually. Big bubbles make way for a thin trim o' foam. It's really black--opaque. I mean solid black.

It's a sweet stout--buttermilk sweet. It's basically a freshly churned blob of cow butter-cream.

The taste is a sweet carbonation. I really notice the malts now. I determine quite quickly that the malts are directly responsible for the blackness of this beer. I taste the malty blackness. In contrast to its smell, I feel like I could even add more cream to this malty concoction--it's that malty. It's like a liquid malted milkball...with alcohol. I'm not totally feelin' that. It tastes more like it looks than smells.

The mputhfeel, especially for such a malty beverage, is diappointing. Believe it or not, it's too malty. It's overly warm for 6.1. The carbonation seems ample, but there's nothing for it to feed. Maybe it's too many different malts as opposed to too many malts in general, but it's relatively unimpressive. +0.5 for somewhat of a sweet sensation.

Not very drinkable. I used to think this beer's relative rarity around my parts meant it was especially good and exclusive. Now I wonder if it's relative obscurity relates more to its quality.

3.2/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured black, good head that lasted, looked like a milkshake, no light came through. Check. Smelled like burnt malts, coffee , with a winey note at the end. Check. Creamy mouth, mild bitterness, with heavy coffee aftertaste and dry. Check.

It went astray in the taste department. Yes, it was heavy on the coffee flavors and sweet like a milk stout, but seemed a little thin , with burnt malt flavor seeming to take away from rather than adding too. Still a good stout, but price/taste means I can get better/cheaper. This was 2.50 for 12oz-- Maybe $7 for a 6 would be better.

3.19/5  rDev -19.8%

Pitch black with 2 fingers of thick tan creamy head. It dissipates quite slowly, leaving thick layers of lacing.

Rich roasted malts, coffee, some earthiness and a metallic smell (oxidation?)

Roasted malts and some burnt flavor. Not very robust.

Medium bodied, low carbonation, fairly creamy. Quite smooth.

I wouldn't make this a go-to stout

3.18/5  rDev -20.1%

Looks: a pervasive, deep brown-black, with a one-finger head of dull copper. The bubbles are large yet sticky, and the head only collapses to half its size before setting up camp and going nowhere. Full sheets of lace decorate the walls as I drink.

Smells: like a cup of Folger's. The coffee aroma reminds of instant granules, but there's also loads of dark chocolate, toasty bread, sweet cream and a tiny bit of tangy sour grain in the back.

Tastes: transitory. The first flavor that hits is roastiness, coffee-laden and dark. Some tanginess then takes hold, with light notes of plums and a flavor akin to bitter dark chocolate that's been left in the cupboard too long. Like a boomerang, the toasty malts come flying back in at the finish, leaving lingering hints of charred bread and dark espresso. As I make my way through the glass, that expired-chocolate tanginess becomes the only thing I can notice. It's rather distracting.

Feels: moderately carbonated and medium-light-bodied, the beer foams up a bit as it moves through the mouth. For a beer called Double Cream stout, I'd expect much more creaminess. The bittersweet tang is building now, leaving an unpleasant sharpness on the back sides of my tongue.

Drinks: like confusion. Not creamy enough and a little too tangy, Double Cream Stout isn't one I'll be seeking out again.

3.16/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours a deep dark black abyss like you'd expect from a heavily malted stout. A nice head forms and sticks around for a while.

Aroma was a little off. The usual suspects were here but something wasn't quite right. I found it hard to pick out the tastes and smells on this one. I knew that I really didn't dig the harsh bitterness in this stout and I like hoppy beers. The harshness was more from a burnt wort or burnt grain taste than from hops.

3.15/5  rDev -20.9%

Tasting Bell's Ball - Double Cream Stout

Two finger head with very decent retention. The usual suspects were present. Chocolate, malt, hint of vanilla, dark sugar.
Taste was good. Just good. I expected...more. I also expected creamier.

This one was a let down for me.

3.15/5  rDev -20.9%

poured dark but clear with a 1 inch tan head that was foamy on top but tiny bubbles nearer the beer

it smelled of roasted malt mostly, but smells were very subdued.

As i am more of a malt head this brew was right up my alley. It has a big roasted malt profile with a smoothness to it. There are some dark, sweet fruity undertones which for me are hard to pick out, fig maybe? there is definitely some milk chocolate and coffee going on in there as well. The finish was smooth which was expected being a cream/sweet stout, sort of lactose sweet at the end. the finish was surprisingly dry as well.

the mouthfeel was good, not as heavy as a RIS, but certainly bigger than a porter and respectable for a sweet stout for sure.

3.14/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours black with a dark brown creamy head. Very nice beer to look at.

Aroma is of coffee, dark chocolate and roasted malts.

Taste is bitter. A burnt taste to it. Some grape in the background. Not really pleasant. Has an old sock sort of flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and dry. Not as creamy as I was expecting for the style.

Overall, a decent brew, but not one I will search out.

3.14/5  rDev -21.1%

Thanks to Awalk1227 for this trade.
Batch 9985: 09/14/2010

Poured to NB globe.

A: Dark ale with limited translucency and little head. Only a centralized light peanut cap evidencing the carbonation in the beer. No lacing.

S: Nice, roasty scent. Malts with hints of figs, plums, raisin. These scents are, however, quite faint. Really expect more assertiveness on the nose with this type of beer.

T: Dry stout. Little resonance of the nose into the taste of the beer. Okay beer, prefer their kalamazoo stout.

M: medium body with high carbonation. Nothing too special here.

D: Drinkable, but there are better cream stouts out there. Get the feeling this one is rated well because it's Bell's, not because it's great.

3.14/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from bottle to pint glass. Thick, black color with Light brown head, surprisingly not creamy and minimal retention. What was left however left some decent lace.

Smell leaves scets of caramel and roasted coffee, and a very sweet smelling milk scent. Very appetizing.

Initial taste is oddly very vacant as my palate struggles to get past the overcarbonation. Aftertaste thankfully has some style with a nice milky coffee flavor. The hints of flavor come out more with each sip but never manages to overcome the bubbles.

Mouthfeel is poor, I wanted thick and smooth but the carbonation created the opposite effect. Way too thin for something I expect to coat the mouth.

While this brew goes down way too easy, why even bother? I had high hopes for this one coming in but will likely not be purchasing it again.

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

Served this 12 oz. brown bottle in a Duvel glass. Batch 9961 packaged on Sept. 14, 2010. The body was deep brown and supported one finger of tan head which settled to a thin ring.

The smell was brown sugar and cottage cheese. Bready.

The taste was tangy. and malty. Not too sweet. Actually kind of bland.

The mouthfeel was a little thinner than expected. Moderate carbonation. Not one of my favorite Bell's beers.

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

A: It's a black colored beer with a very very tiny sliver of tan head forming a ring around the glass.

S: I get some burnt scents, like a dark coffee brewing.

T: I get a lot of the burnt charcoal, roasted grains. It has a very dark character to it. It's mildly sweet with malt. I don't get any cream-like flavor or sensation from this beer, despite the "double" implication. After tasting I visited the website and it mentions that the beer contains no dairy and the cream title refers to its texture. That's more for mouthfeel...

M: It does have a slightly slick mouthfeel. I wouldn't call it creamy. The carbonation is good, the body is a solid medium body with a good roasted bitterness.

O: Overall I think it's a good stout, but very average. I think the title led me to some expectations I didn't arrive at...so I am disappointed with that. It says "special" and the beer really tastes like a good stout but I don't see anything special. It says "double" but I didn't get much of anything to double...probably the 6%abv...then the "cream" which wasn't any more creamy than a normal stout. It tastes good but I don't think it's any better than the average stout.

I Had another bottle of this on 26 NOV 2012 and it left me with the same impressions. This time the beer actually finished drier than previously, which was a greater disappointment. While this is a wonderful stout, it does not feel creamy.

3.09/5  rDev -22.4%

Batch# 11540; bottled on 10/18/12. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours pitch black with a mocha head that eventually fades and leaves decent lacing and retention. The aromas are pretty subtle. Lots of sweet cream and cocoa powder. There's some chocolate malts in the mix as well. The flavors are pretty straight forward and not as interesting as I recall. There's a nice roastiness to this one with a touch of expresso and hints of vanilla. This is a pretty rich beer, but it's just not as intense as I once remembered. There's also some dark fruits in the mix. Finishes somewhat bitter. The mouthfeel is phenomenal. It's extremely creamy, fluffy, smooth, light, and has moderate carbonation. This is a very smooth, easy drinking beer. Alcohol goes unnoticed.

Of all Bell's stouts, this was always my least favorite, but I remember liking it alot more. Besides the mouthfeel, it's not too memorable. Maybe it's not Bell's best work, but it's still a well crafted beer.

3.07/5  rDev -22.9%

A- ours a brownish black with a thin layer of foam that quickly retreats

S- chocolaty odor

T - a light, smoky, chocolate flavor. seems a bit bland

M- light and watery on the palate. A little coarse on the way down.

O- not my favorite. Nothing really special about this one!

3.05/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours dark black with barely any head which clings to the glass only slightly.

OK aroma of roasted malt.

Mildly sweet when at first sip, some bitterness hiding in the background. A smoky malt flavor remains behind on the back of your tongue.

Fine to sip on a cold night, but not overly rememberable.

3.03/5  rDev -23.9%

Maybe it was due to this following the blacknote, but I found this to be thin and lacking. a mediocre stout that didn't seem to have much going on, other than the typical dark chocolate, coffee, and fig flavors found in stouts. OK, but nothing I'd revisit again. The mouthfeel was even mediocre.

Perhaps in the future if it is on tap I'll try a sample to see if it still is the same, but this experience left me wanting more.

3.03/5  rDev -23.9%

Mom and dad picked this one up in Michigan for me a while back. Cheers guys!

From a bottle into a snifter
Bottled 7 November 2013

APPEARANCE: A clear, dark brown pour yields a three finger, medium looking, creamy, light tan head with excellent retention. Clear black body with lots of active carbonation. Head fades to a full cap leaving sheets of lacing down the top of the glass. A splotchy wisp remains until the end with lots of lacing left on the glass as it empties. Nice looking head, though it’s a little too brown for the style.

SMELL: Cream, light cocoa powder and some roasted and burnt malts on the nose. Medium strength.

TASTE: Sweet cream and caramel up front. Sweet and roasted finish is bold and lingering, with flavors up light cocoa powder, caramel and vanilla sweetness, and some slightly burnt malts as well. A little lack luster, really. Not all that much character.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. A little prickly perhaps, goes down fine and finishes a bit mouth coating.

OVERALL: Okay, but not all that special. A bit burnt and a decent amount of sweet flavors, but this is a little one dimensional and not all that interesting. Besides black note, I hate to say that I haven’t found much to enjoy in Bells’ stout beer. This certainly is nothing worth writing home about.

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.