2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-30-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Special Double Cream Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,726 | Reviews: 1,327 | Show All Ratings:
Samichlaus

Rhode Island

1.5/5  rDev -62.2%

Received in trade from StormKing47. Thanks Josh!
12oz poured into Allagash flute. Batch # 9513.

A: Pours a thick syrupy black with a thin dark tan head. Minimal lacing.

S: Sour milk, chocolaty malt sweetness, slight spicy hoppiness.

T: Sour milk up front then a blast of bitter roasted barley. Piny and herbal hop bitterness throughout. Finishes sticky and dry. Chocolate and coffee notes build as I drink. Not a whole lot of sweetness to me, unlike what others have mentioned.

M: Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Sticky, thick and dry.

D: Not something I would want to have again.

This one really sounded like it would be good. I guess you can't judge a book by it's cover... or, hundreds of good reviews. I don't think there was anything wrong with the beer in the way of spoilage or oxidation, but I don't understand where some people are coming from in their reviews. If I ever come across it again I will have to try it and see.

04-24-2010 23:17:41 | More by Samichlaus
MrMcGibblets

1.55/5  rDev -61%

A: black with a nice persistent dark tan head and lacing.
S: dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, and dark sourish stone fruits.
T: wow...sourness dominates. Dark sour cherries overwhelm this beer. Sour, sour, sour. Dry and extremely puckering. Where is the creaminess? The rich malt sweetness? The rich roasty malt? Double cream stout my fucking ass. Heinz red wine vinegar is more like it.
M: nice level of carbonation but the sourness is killing this too.
D: this had to be an off batch, but I will review what I purchased. This was extremely disappointing with the dominating sourness. Hopefully this review doesn't get deleted like my review of thomas hardy's. This is just godawful, like drinking vinegar. I hate that this looks decent because it deserves a lower score. I would honestly rather have a bud light right now, but am masochistically punishing myself to finish it in order to have a legit review. I hate myself for opening this beer as my nightcap. The only beer I ever had which was more challenging to finish was the aforementioned thomas hardy's. Each sip is like acid eating away my entire digestive system.

01-24-2011 04:40:32 | More by MrMcGibblets
jpittman80

1.8/5  rDev -54.7%

A - Opaque black with a finger of tan head.

S - Prunes, chocolate and roast malt. No hint of a problem so far...

T - I have to have a bad bottle. There's no flavor whatsoever besides a strong tartness and bitterness. I'm guessing it's the lactic acid that took over the whole thing.

M - Super thin bodied, probably as a result of whatever ruined the bottle.

D - Poured it out.

Didn't expect vinegar. I'm pretty disappointed because I was looking forward to this one, and I can't get it in my hometown. Oh well.

06-01-2010 00:29:48 | More by jpittman80
SuperSpy

Georgia

2.13/5  rDev -46.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. No freshness date but "9566" is printed on the back label.

A - Black. Ruby edges when held to the light. A decent brown head that dies too quickly with no lacing left behind. Lots of apparent carbonation even though the head has died away.

S - Sweet dark malts and a hint of coffee and burnt sugar. Overall the aroma is fairly weak, but it does have some layers of complexity that I can appreciate.

T/M - I'm immediately taken aback by some intense acidic sourness that I was not expecting. It's sour like a geuze and the roasted malt that you would expect from a stout is more of a burnt flavor. There is also a metallic oxidation in the finish. I'm starting to wonder if this is infected. There is definitely something wrong with this beer. On the upside, the mouth feel is phenomenal. Definitely what a milk/cream stout should be! To bad it's infected and oxidized.

D - The acidity and oxidation make this undrinkable.

07-13-2010 01:57:36 | More by SuperSpy
deebo

2.2/5  rDev -44.6%

A-Very dark with thick tan head-Guinness like
S-Dark roasted malts with heavy smoky character
T-Upfront nice dark malt flavor that is overpowered with a heavy smoke note that also has a strong black pepper flavor that is too strong and makes this unpleasant
M-Medium to heavy bodied
D-Hard to drink a pint of this unless you like smoky/peppery style beers

01-09-2011 03:34:47 | More by deebo
hmbrewer336

2.2/5  rDev -44.6%

A: Deep brown if it were any darker it would be black. I actually had to lean it over to see the brown. Nice tan head that dissipates quickly.

S: Not at all what I expected. Very grassy. Also picked up corn. Subtle roast and a hint of black licorice. Very low hop aroma. I was looking for coffee and chocolate with a double cream.

T: Again not what I'm looking for. Roasty and a hint of coffee. No chocolate. Quite grassy again. Very noble hop flavor.

M: This is bad. Absolutely piss poor mouth feel. I had to re-read the label. I don't get much creamy feel. Not very oily. Not very big or impressive in the mouth.

O: Overall very disappointed with this beer. The label is deceiving. I wanted sweeter and this was light with subtle roast and lacking the creamy body to support it. I also felt it was over carbonated for the style.

04-06-2012 21:18:26 | More by hmbrewer336
FeDUBBELFIST

2.23/5  rDev -43.8%

Bottle to pint glass. Batch #9513.

A: Pours with a large medium dark 2 finger creamy head with large bubbles that create small pockets as they burst. Excellent retention becomes a sudsy film. The body is dark brown if not black and so opaque that light doesn't even penetrate the beer along the edge of the glass. No lacing.

S: This brew is harshly malted (apparently 10 different malts!), all roasted and dark: chocolate, grain, molasses and light coffee. The hops are light, herbal and piney. Earthy, musty and meaty yeast notes contribute to the aroma.

T: Flavors of burnt brown sugar, vanilla with light Sarsaparilla, anise and sour milk. While the lactic qualities are high, residual sugars remain low opening the gates for an unwanted bitterness and sourness. The flavors have a short duration. Lightly sweet and moderately bitter.

M: Medium body but, even so, much lighter than expected. Semi thin and gritty. The carbonation is fine and fizzy but maybe a little too lively for a milk stout. Effervescence is reminiscent of week old soda.

D: A rare miss by Bell's. With a 6.1% ABV, I'm not sure cellaring would have made any improvements, but I can't help but wonder if I drank this one a little too early.

05-08-2010 13:05:39 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
sjohansen

2.28/5  rDev -42.6%

Black as the inside of a closet with the door closed so you can't see your hand in front of your face. Cream one finger head, disappears quick, leaving a handful of floating brown bubbles on top. Great sticky lacing.

Smells of dark chocolate and dark coffee. Dry oats. The notes are very rich, and the smell is great.

It's got a nice dry character, tastes roasty in the middle of the palate, but... something is off in the aftertaste. And by off, I mean nasty. Not as sweet as Special Double Cream would entail. It has a sour quality that quickly destroys the enjoyable characteristics.

Mouthfeel is like cough syrup. The first couple sips coated my mouth and ruined the rest of the beer.

There are plenty of stouts in the universe, this one is not too high on my list.

02-28-2008 02:41:21 | More by sjohansen
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

2.28/5  rDev -42.6%

Poured in to Duvel tulip

A - Dark black with one finger of bubbly light brown head.

S - Roasted malts with a sweet molasses smell. I also detect somewhat sour licorice/anise smell, similar to that in Bell's Porter, which is not a welcome smell.

T - Roasted malts with a definite burst of brewers licorice up front, very similar to the Bell's porter. The licorice taste overpowers the beer and ruins it for me. Was really looking forward to this one.

M - Medium body, more carbonation that usual for a stout.

D - A below average beer. Disappointing.

06-10-2010 00:16:31 | More by TheSevenDuffs
semibaked

Kentucky

2.3/5  rDev -42.1%

Pours into a Tulip glass. Batch 9513

A - Pours jet black with a big 2 fingers of towering brown foam and stays around for a while.

S - Roasted Malts, coffee, sugary sweetness and perhaps some oxidation or maybe some lactose, hard for me to tell.

T - A sourness like spoiled milk hit me up front, then roasted malts, coffee, but really no sweetness. Pretty off putting.

M - Medium bodied and some chewiness, I also get tartness and some slickness.

D - This is not very good to me. I am pretty sure this is a fresh bottle given the batch number, but this is like carbonated slightly sour milks with coffee and carbonation. I think I will pass on this in the future.

04-02-2010 00:42:45 | More by semibaked
timn

Kentucky

2.31/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: Really dark brown to black, with a small amount of head. Looks thin on pouring. Pretty average appearance.

S: I struggled with this. Very muddled smell. For a beer that bills itself as a Double Cream Stout, I expected some kind of creamy, maybe semi-sweet, or vanilla aromas. This didn't give me any of that. It barely smelled like a stout to me, which was odd.

T: Like with the smell, I had a heck of a time getting anything related to "Cream," let alone "Double Cream" out of the taste. The hints of malt taste that are there at first got dominated by a strong sour aftertaste that lingered with every sip. Tried drinking a gulp of water in between sips -- maybe it was something I ate. But nope, it was the beer. I don't know if there was a lot there even without the sourness, but the sour taste really killed this for me. It dominated everything and, frankly, was sort of nasty.

M: Thin with medium carbonation. Again, very disappointing. I expected something at least moderately thick and creamy, but there was nothing substantial here at all.

O: I was hugely disappointed with this. It tasted, smelled and felt to me like a below-average stout with something wrong with it. I may check the batch number and see. I drank it a few days after I bought it, but maybe it was sitting on the shelf in the store for a while. I'll update my review when / if I can find out.

Update: Mine was bottled a little under 4 months ago (10/17/2012). Should be well within drinkable time, barring improper storage.

02-15-2013 03:26:56 | More by timn
jcalabre

2.35/5  rDev -40.8%

I originally sampled this beer on 6 November 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
Appearance: It is black as an imperial,
Taste: This has a lactic (duh, it's a double cream stout) flavor. it's sort of an inbetween stout, not sweet, not dry. it doesn't quite do it for me. This is one of those beers that many will like, but I happen not to.

08-21-2003 03:44:17 | More by jcalabre
rpstevens

New Hampshire

2.38/5  rDev -40.1%

Thanks to beerlovngrl for this extra, I had been wanting to try it for a while.

The appearance is a black fading to mocha brown around the edges. The pour yields an off-white-to-light-brown head that leaves minimal lacing as it fades.

The smell is all coffee and roasty malts, but it's not a very strong smell at all.

The taste is malty sweetness with a burnt coffee tone, some roasted malt shows through but has an acidic, metallic taste that is fairly unpleasant. There is a soda-pop sweetness to this beer that is out of place as well.

The mouthfeel is nice, the beer is more carbonated than expected and the beer is also pretty light and easy to drink for a stout of this magnitude. But the flavor is a bit off, not something that I will have more than one of, this is the first Bell's brew that I haven't liked.

06-19-2009 20:49:04 | More by rpstevens
russwbeck

2.38/5  rDev -40.1%

*Upon contacting Bells, I learned this bottle came from December 2009, making it far past the recommended date. I knew something was off!*

A: Black pour without any head at all.

S: Alcohol, dark fruits. Smells really sweet. Something honestly seems a bit off here. It smells a lot like the infected Black Albert I had a few weeks ago.

T: Taste is also not quite what I remember last time I had it. Alcohol and dark fruits up front. Followed by some chocolate and roastiness. The taste really drops off afterward, and isn't very good.

MF: Heavy body without a lot of carbonation.

O: I think I got a bad bottle. Had this on tap before and liked it. This seems just...bad.

05-31-2011 02:11:32 | More by russwbeck
pwoods

2.5/5  rDev -37%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into an imperial pint. Batch 8150 is invalid but it's pretty fresh.

A: Pours a motor oil black but not quite the same viscosity. 2 fingers of tan head with some retention before dieing to a large layer on top. Good lacing.

S: Very sweet. Cocoa powder, bananas, cookie dough, and whole cream. A little bit of hops add a fresh crispness.

T/M: Much too sweet. Very thick sweetness from a whole cream and vanilla icing backbone. Lightly burnt coffee and caramel malts. Bits of cocoa and doughy cookies. Body is medium with an oily feel.

D: Way too sweet. I'm had it on tap several times with the same conclusion.

12-16-2007 05:23:56 | More by pwoods
Dubber55

2.5/5  rDev -37%

Nice dark black pour, tan/mocha 1 cm head, good retention. Smells like sour milk, coffee, and chocolate. Initially tastes like sour milk. Then I am getting some hop bitterness followed by roasted malts. Tastes mostly like coffee. Has a slick mouthfeel. I might be wrong but I thought this was supposed to sweet?

05-03-2010 05:15:52 | More by Dubber55
Justin23060

2.53/5  rDev -36.3%

Wow that's dark... Black as a matter of fact. Head is brown stiff and sticky. First smell is yeasty roasty and slight metallic. There's something unpleasant in the smell that I can't place (barnyard, wet leather?) Taste has that same unpleasantness. It got a little better as it burned off during warming. Dispite this distration I do get some nice chocolate with a pretty nice dry finish that not to puckering. Mouthfeel is leaning toward creamy with a body surprisingly lighter than expected but not watery by any means. Still that being said I'll finish this one but probably won't seek it out again. Sorry Bell's.

03-13-2011 00:26:05 | More by Justin23060
Jekster

Indiana

2.63/5  rDev -33.8%

Appearance: This beer pours from the bottle oil slick deep black color. There is a thick dark down head that sits on top of the beer with a persistent staying power.

Smell: This beer has a definite oatmeal aroma which nearly overpowers all other present aromas. There is a slight sweet roast in the background along with some nutty and bready characters.

Taste: The oat also comes through distinctly upon taking a swig. There is almost roasted pecan flavor and a definite white burnt sugar sweetness to the beer. This beer's flavors are extremely unbalanced with the distinct, dominate, not pleasant oat character followed by awkward sweetness and a dry alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel: The beer does have a pleasant body that is thick and chewy without making it a sipper beer. There is a definitely slick feeling to the beer which I would guess is from copious amounts of oat in the grist.

Drinkability: The unbalanced flavors and armoa do not lend to making this beer drinkable. I wouldn't want to drink more than one in an evening.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Bell's makes some fantastic beers, but this is not one of them. It's disappointing because their Kalamazoo Stout is such a fantastic beer. Unless you are a big fan of massive oat character stay away from this beer. Instead, save yourself some cash and go pick up a sixer of Bell's Porter or traditional Kalamazoo Stout.

02-10-2009 01:40:52 | More by Jekster
GRG1313

2.68/5  rDev -32.5%

Reviewed again a year later 02/04/11 - almost to the day.

Pours Pours black with a dark tan/brown head.

Nose is pure simple black chocolate. Mouthfeel is thin and watery.

Flavors are weak and watered down bitter black chocolate and thin bodied black coffee.

Finish is actually a very nice chocolate coffee character with some appeal -finish isn't sufficiently appealing to try this on another time.

I like Bells but this one taste like a carbonated light cup of coffee; about it.

Original Review: Pours dark brown black with a nice firm tan head;

Nose is sweet black chocolate with undertones of sweet coffee; simple but very pleasant;

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lighter "fizzy" carbonation and while not thin, initially appears thin.

Flavors are all simple coffee and simple dark chocolate with a bit of a synthetic chocolate character/flavor.

Some hoppy bitterness in flavors and finish. All around pretty average.

02-07-2010 07:57:41 | More by GRG1313
NODAK

Tennessee

2.68/5  rDev -32.5%

Aroma has strong roasted dark chocolate malts on it...but there's also a hint of sweetness in there, separating it somewhat from a regular stout.

Mouthfeel seems pretty thin for a stout. Taste has a body of predominately roasted malts and bitter chocolate..the sweetness I was expecting doesn't seem to translate. There's a hint of coffee on the backend...as well as a pretty good bitterness for style. I wasn't expecting the hops to be as assertive as they were.

I'd love to say I'm more impressed, but I suppose I'm not. Just seems like another run of the mill stout to me. Not really sweet at all per style, and kind of thin.

11-17-2010 01:24:58 | More by NODAK
scottfrie

2.7/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I can't remember who sent these to me, or even if they came from the same person (I think both were extras), but I came across two bottles of these tucked away in my stash. The first one I opened tonight smelled strongly of burnt caramel and butterscotch (uh-oh). Upon tasting it I almost spit it out it was so gross. The sour-cherry taste coupled with the butterscotch smell screamed some kind of infection. The batch number printed on this bottle was 9566. Luckily my second bottle was from a different batch. Review is as follows:

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Batch number 9357.

A: Pours an extremely dark brown with a thin light brown head that quickly fizzed away into pretty much nothing. The infected bottle had a much more impressive head.
S: Very roasted smelling with slight notes of chocolate and caramel.
T: Extremely malty, in more of a brown ale type of way rather than a stout, with some roasted notes in the aftertaste and a hint of coffee in the finish. Pretty sweet overall.
M: Mouthfeel is decently creamy as promised, but the carbonation is pretty tingly and tad sharp at the end. Body is on the lighter side of full, but it's not bad.
D: There is almost too much malt to this brew. If that's your thing, then you may love it. To me, this didn't really taste like a stout, it tasted like a more 'brown' style of beer.

03-07-2011 01:41:37 | More by scottfrie
nlmartin

2.75/5  rDev -30.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: Midnight blackness with a finger width copper white head. The head quickly resolves itself into a copper white film. The foam clings to the side of the glass.

Smell: For me the smell was the best part of this beer. Very sweet malty smell. There is a spicy sweet combintation in play in this beer with a slight astringency about it.

Taste: This beer has a very thickly sweet buttery coffee and malty taste. It is frankly to sweet for my own taste. I not sure but this could possibly stand a bigger hop profile. In short I dont like it.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: Well frankly again, this one is just to dam sickeningly sweet. It has a hell of a full bodied buttery taste but way to sweet. Pass this one up and buy something else.

10-28-2005 08:34:47 | More by nlmartin
Overlord

2.75/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Wow. What a disappointment.

Looks nice enough. Burnt black with a light brown head of about an inch. Actually, looks great.

Smells faintly of roasted malt, largely of burnt coffee and ... not much, really. I'm serious, there is shockingly almost no aroma to this. Disappointment begins.

Taste is also strangely weak. Big charred roasted malts and ... not much. For a "milk/sweet" stout it's surprisingly low on any sweetness at all. Maybe a hint of sugar, but no real chocolate. Just burnt malt and coffee. And a bit of charcoal-iness to it.

Dull. Boring. Nice mouthfeel, but really a let down.

09-23-2007 06:13:39 | More by Overlord
Boppar

New Hampshire

2.78/5  rDev -30%

I really had high hopes for this one.

A: poured a gorgeous black with a sizeable head.

S: Mmm... interesting. Sweet, malty coffee goodness, with something I can't pin down.

T: the first sip or three were quite enjoyable. Malty sweetness, good coffee taste, and a milky, almost Bailey's-esque taste in the background. But then the aftertaste kicked in. This beer would've owned pretty hard if the aftertaste had not smacked of pennies.

M: gorgoeus mouthfeel: thick, fluffy, chewy. In short, everything one could want from a stout.

D: the pennies just killed it for me. I may try another bottle a ways down the road to see if this was a fluke/fault.

Sorry Bell's, not your best.

03-29-2007 19:41:36 | More by Boppar
azorie

2.78/5  rDev -30%

date code 8842. Not cheap for a 6 pack of 6% beer, but never had it so WTH. I just hope since it was already cold its not old beer.

A: Its Black of course with light creamy brown head. Lace is short lasting after hitting about 1.5 inches tall in a MUG.

S: roasted malt, some vanilla and coffee. oxidized burnt wood

T: Burnt dark roasted malt, coffee comes more of an aftertaste and the vanilla is still present as well. The beer is NOT as sweet as I think it should be to hit the style. it's very dry at the same time with a slightly hoppy finish. You get the milk in there but its very faint. it say on Bell web site its great with Chocolate, NOT, I mean where the FUCK is the chocolate in this beer?

M: medium body, but not as sweet as it should be Not as smooth as it should be.

D: too heavy for the style, not sweet enough.

I don't know if this is bad six pack or too old or what, but its a BIG disappointment to me. if I not bought it all the way in ORLANDO, I would take the rest back. i see its rank 3rd in milk stouts, i have to try again from somewhere else, but NOT in the same league at Young Double chocolate stout.

08-09-2009 19:10:01 | More by azorie
Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.