Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Special Double Cream Stout Alström Bros

gafferjohn, Jan 16, 2012

QuantumPint, Dec 07, 2011

Walkerjgt, Jun 30, 2014

Filabee, Apr 04, 2014

heytomcat, Nov 02, 2013

SteelCityHops89, Dec 22, 2011

kscaldef, Mar 03, 2012

jkball01, May 13, 2013

Feb 2011: Ordinary. I'm sure the brewery put forth a great deal of effort to make it ... quality ingredients, careful process control, etc ... and compared to a lackluster stout it would stand out. But when the competition, and perhaps even Bell's, is brewing much more flavorful and interesting beer this particular label doesn't get a prize.
Nov 2011: Forgot I previously reviewed this one. Looking back on my old review I still feel the same. Style is along the lines of beer I favor, but overall it's quite an ordinary brew. There are roasted flavors throughout, and a slight hop bitterness, but fairly blah.

Vierenner, Feb 22, 2011

Maltus, Apr 22, 2012

Trevormcraig, Dec 20, 2012

halo3one, Jun 28, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -23.7%

Maybe it was due to this following the blacknote, but I found this to be thin and lacking. a mediocre stout that didn't seem to have much going on, other than the typical dark chocolate, coffee, and fig flavors found in stouts. OK, but nothing I'd revisit again. The mouthfeel was even mediocre.

Perhaps in the future if it is on tap I'll try a sample to see if it still is the same, but this experience left me wanting more.

taylor714914, Oct 24, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours dark black with barely any head which clings to the glass only slightly.

OK aroma of roasted malt.

Mildly sweet when at first sip, some bitterness hiding in the background. A smoky malt flavor remains behind on the back of your tongue.

Fine to sip on a cold night, but not overly rememberable.

FourBetter, Nov 27, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -23.2%

A- ours a brownish black with a thin layer of foam that quickly retreats

S- chocolaty odor

T - a light, smoky, chocolate flavor. seems a bit bland

M- light and watery on the palate. A little coarse on the way down.

O- not my favorite. Nothing really special about this one!

Jammies, Jan 28, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours black with a dark brown creamy head. Very nice beer to look at.

Aroma is of coffee, dark chocolate and roasted malts.

Taste is bitter. A burnt taste to it. Some grape in the background. Not really pleasant. Has an old sock sort of flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and dry. Not as creamy as I was expecting for the style.

Overall, a decent brew, but not one I will search out.

atigerlife, Jun 23, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -21.9%

Served this 12 oz. brown bottle in a Duvel glass. Batch 9961 packaged on Sept. 14, 2010. The body was deep brown and supported one finger of tan head which settled to a thin ring.

The smell was brown sugar and cottage cheese. Bready.

The taste was tangy. and malty. Not too sweet. Actually kind of bland.

The mouthfeel was a little thinner than expected. Moderate carbonation. Not one of my favorite Bell's beers.

Cresant, Jan 21, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -21.9%

Batch# 11540; bottled on 10/18/12. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours pitch black with a mocha head that eventually fades and leaves decent lacing and retention. The aromas are pretty subtle. Lots of sweet cream and cocoa powder. There's some chocolate malts in the mix as well. The flavors are pretty straight forward and not as interesting as I recall. There's a nice roastiness to this one with a touch of expresso and hints of vanilla. This is a pretty rich beer, but it's just not as intense as I once remembered. There's also some dark fruits in the mix. Finishes somewhat bitter. The mouthfeel is phenomenal. It's extremely creamy, fluffy, smooth, light, and has moderate carbonation. This is a very smooth, easy drinking beer. Alcohol goes unnoticed.

Of all Bell's stouts, this was always my least favorite, but I remember liking it alot more. Besides the mouthfeel, it's not too memorable. Maybe it's not Bell's best work, but it's still a well crafted beer.

BB1313, Dec 02, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -21.9%

A: It's a black colored beer with a very very tiny sliver of tan head forming a ring around the glass.

S: I get some burnt scents, like a dark coffee brewing.

T: I get a lot of the burnt charcoal, roasted grains. It has a very dark character to it. It's mildly sweet with malt. I don't get any cream-like flavor or sensation from this beer, despite the "double" implication. After tasting I visited the website and it mentions that the beer contains no dairy and the cream title refers to its texture. That's more for mouthfeel...

M: It does have a slightly slick mouthfeel. I wouldn't call it creamy. The carbonation is good, the body is a solid medium body with a good roasted bitterness.

O: Overall I think it's a good stout, but very average. I think the title led me to some expectations I didn't arrive at...so I am disappointed with that. It says "special" and the beer really tastes like a good stout but I don't see anything special. It says "double" but I didn't get much of anything to double...probably the 6%abv...then the "cream" which wasn't any more creamy than a normal stout. It tastes good but I don't think it's any better than the average stout.

I Had another bottle of this on 26 NOV 2012 and it left me with the same impressions. This time the beer actually finished drier than previously, which was a greater disappointment. While this is a wonderful stout, it does not feel creamy.

teromous, Jan 20, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured from bottle to pint glass. Thick, black color with Light brown head, surprisingly not creamy and minimal retention. What was left however left some decent lace.

Smell leaves scets of caramel and roasted coffee, and a very sweet smelling milk scent. Very appetizing.

Initial taste is oddly very vacant as my palate struggles to get past the overcarbonation. Aftertaste thankfully has some style with a nice milky coffee flavor. The hints of flavor come out more with each sip but never manages to overcome the bubbles.

Mouthfeel is poor, I wanted thick and smooth but the carbonation created the opposite effect. Way too thin for something I expect to coat the mouth.

While this brew goes down way too easy, why even bother? I had high hopes for this one coming in but will likely not be purchasing it again.

sonicdescent, Dec 21, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

Tasting Bell's Ball - Double Cream Stout

Two finger head with very decent retention. The usual suspects were present. Chocolate, malt, hint of vanilla, dark sugar.
Taste was good. Just good. I expected...more. I also expected creamier.

This one was a let down for me.

LittleBreeze, Dec 21, 2007
Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.