Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Special Double Cream Stout Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottled December 2009.

Pours a dark, dark brown with about a finger of tan head. Leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

A touch of coffee bean and roasted malt on the nose, but the aroma is mostly dominated by a slightly sour lactose smell. Almost dairy like. Normally I wouldn't enjoy this kind of smell, but this is a cream stout, so it's pretty likely that lactose was used. Bits of vanilla linger as well.

Smooth, roasty malts on the tongue followed by a lactic tang. Bits of chocolate and coffee come through as well. A very milky stout. Lactose adds a sweet and slightly sour touch to the beer.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and almost velvety, but the body is light enough to notice the small, prickly carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good. I like the well roasted malts and the touch of dark chocolate, but the lactic sourness cuts down on the drinkability for me.

Overall, this is a very interesting brew. Big roasty malts, a smooth body and tangy milkiness. I like sour beers, but I'm not sure if this pairing is really my thing. I think Bell's has done a good job with the style and if I had a fresher bottle maybe I wouldn't notice the lactic sourness as much. All in all though, this is still a tasty beer and one that I'd like to try again.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

One of my favorite styles and one of my favorite Bells products. Dark brown without too much head. Not overpowering in alcohol. Very smooth flavor with roasted malts, creaminess, and french pressed coffee. A delicious milk stout. A little more bitterness than some other milk stouts I've had. Drier, a little less sweet, and a little less carbonation. Body is a little fuller than the other milk stouts I've had too. I could drink these all night.

Bells, expand your distribution to California, I beg you.

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

a: pours a nice deep dark brown balck color with about a half inch of head that doesnt dissapear leaving a good amount of lace that sticks to the side of the glass as well on top of the brew
s: deep chocolate malts with cream aroma as well, dark fruits are also present
t: chocolate malts cream dark fruits very complex
m: medium to full bodied beer with good carbonatoin

overall, wow this is truly a good brew

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%

pours a rich black with twinges of brown. a vigorous pour yields an unexpected three-finger mocha-colored head that has impressive retention, fading leaving a good bit of lacing.

aroma of roasted malt up front. burnt caramel, burnt coffee beans, and a hint of cocoa. Very roasty on the whole.

Taste is roasted malt all the way, with some coffee, vanilla, and toffee notes hidden nicely. deliciously smooth, although not quite as sweet or lactosey as I was hoping. Definitely roasted character-forward... not a bad thing. Twinges of strong chocolate, bittersweet cocoa, and even a touch of hops show up as it warms. never really screams milk or sweet stout.

Mouthfeel falls somewhere between slightly thin for the style, and slightly overcarbonated for the style, although it blends together to create a decently creamy and more than palatable mouth. a touch drying.

All in all, not a bad brew. It was milder both in aroma and flavor than I'd expected, which makes it ever so drinkable, although it doesn't really fit the bill of you're looking for a strong sweet stout. An excellent brew none-the-less, and if it was available locally, it may be one of my go-to brews.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle at 45 degrees into a snifter.

A: It pours pitch black with a half-finger of tan head that quickly recedes to the collar, leaving behind very little lacing.

S: Roasty coffee, plums, chocolate, and licorice (an apparent staple in the Bell's stout lineup).

T: It starts sweet with mild coffee notes, bittersweet chocolate, and caramel and finishes bitter with raisins and licorice.

M: It has a medium-thick body that is quite creamy and somewhat sticky.

D: It isn't too strong or thick but it isn't very drinkable. The flavors get a bit annoying like the rest of Bells's stouts. I don't get it.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - nearly black with a small lingering off-white head.

S - like coffee with creamer

T - a little more bitter than the smell but delicious. Malty, rich.

M - definitely a cream stout. I can feel the creaminess on the tongue. Thick.

D - yeah. I'll have another.

3.81/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Note: this was bottles 6 months prior to my trying it.

Pours black with a light brown head that had very good retention, no lacing to speak of but this one pours and looks great.

Smells of roasty burnt malts, a slight sweet scent, hints of coffee, vanilla and cocoa

Sweet roasted malts, bitter with a hint of coffee, no vanilla as the nose suggested and a slight chocolate note. A mildly bitter finish.

Slighly creamy but notably light when compared with other milk/sweet stouts I've had.

Overall this was not a bad beer, not an exceptional example of this type of stout either. Creamy mouthfeel was not as creamy as "double cream" would suggest but creamy none the less. I wish I would've been able to try this one fresher as it was a month from Bell's suggested shelf life but I will give it another shot fresh next year.

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours an opaque black into my glass, and boasts two fingers of nut brown head that drop to nothing within a few moments, leaving nothing behind.
Aroma is of burnt grain, along with some stale coffee. I may be crazy, but I swear I can smell some sweet cream. Overall, though, the nose is very faint and you have to strain to get much besides a husky roast character.
Not what I have come to expect in a sweet stout, but still fits the guidelines quite well. The roastiness is dominant, with all sorts of burnt toast and roasted barley notes coming out. Almost all of the bitterness seems to come from the grain, and there is very little hop bitterness/flavor/aroma in the beer. The roasted grain is balanced by quite evident lactose sugar... it tastes as if someone dumped whipping cream in this beer. The finish is more husky notes, more lactose, and that canned coffee that I smelled... the finish is certainly the weakest link.
Mouthfeel department is quite adequate, with medium carbonation and immense milky creaminess. the finish is smooth in the center from the cream, and dry around the edges from the grain.
This is pretty much a two-dimensional beer: grain and cream. I prefer Sam Adams' cream stout, but I certainly wouldn't turn one of these down. If cream stouts are your mug of beer, you should certainly give this one a taste.

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

12oz bottle poured into a stange. No date.

Appearance - Big brtown head with medium-high retention. Black body.

Smell - Coffee. Chocolate. Soy sauce.

Taste - Strong coffee and chocolate. Unfortunately some more soy sauce. Creamer.

Mouthfeel - Creamy head. Medium bodied.

Overall Drinkability - Enjoyable. Some of the soy sauce charater dissipates over time and with each sip, which is great because it's a big flaw otherwise.4

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

The look couldn't have appetized me more - black with a big creamed-coffee head. The head was extra creamy with super retention.

Aroma was decent, but I expected more from a big flavorful beer. subdued coffee, chocolate, alcohol, yeast phenolics.

Bittersweet chocolate is big in the flavor. Its like you have to chew your way through the coffee-icecream head to get to the more chocolaty beer. The Bell's yeast character is big in this beer just like all of the other Bell's I have had, and it gets a tad tiring for me to be honest. I never thought I would say this, but I might like this beer better if it were filtered. It would be more drinkable that way. But a great beer nonetheless.

3.15/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured black, good head that lasted, looked like a milkshake, no light came through. Check. Smelled like burnt malts, coffee , with a winey note at the end. Check. Creamy mouth, mild bitterness, with heavy coffee aftertaste and dry. Check.

It went astray in the taste department. Yes, it was heavy on the coffee flavors and sweet like a milk stout, but seemed a little thin , with burnt malt flavor seeming to take away from rather than adding too. Still a good stout, but price/taste means I can get better/cheaper. This was 2.50 for 12oz-- Maybe $7 for a 6 would be better.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Deep black color with a tan head. Chocolate, cocoa scent with a hint of malt. This is one smooth creamy beer. I love the creaminess of this beer but it could be too milky for some. Sweet malt taste with chocolate. Love the feel in my mouth. It is has a the perfect mix of sweetness, creaminess with just a hint of hops to balance it out. Highly recommend this beer.

I am editing my rating on this beer. I still love the flavor of this beer, but I recently purchace a six pack of this beer and found that after a couple of beers that the sweetness of this beer was a little overwhelming. Changing my drinkability from 5 to 4

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.