Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-30-2001

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Special Double Cream Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,462 | Reviews: 1,405
3.8/5  rDev -4%

Number code on the back label: 8273.

Poured into a 16 oz Imperial shaped pint glass. This stout has a creamy dark brown head. It's totally opaque; black as night. Head fades rather quickly.

Dark chocolate and roasted malt steals the show while a slight molasses aroma hides in the back.

Mild hop bitterness balances with the residual sweetness. Chocolate covered malt balls is what comes to mind. Not that its overly sweet, but that is what comes to mind.

Double Cream is very full bodied without being chewy. Its milky smooth.

Not sure exactly what constitutes a double cream stout, but I would expect a beer that is a bit more reminiscent of a big stout brewed with plenty of lactose that would contribute a lot more body and leave more sweetness in the finished product. Don't get me wrong, this beer drinks well and is enjoyable, but I think the name conjures up a presumption that it doesn't quite fill.

Music enjoyed whilst sampling: 3 the Hard Way by the Beastie Boys

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured a single ($1.35) into an English pint glass.

Nice dark stout, some ruby hues, with a good solid 2cm of tight tan head. Only loses points because some nasty yeasty junk came out even though I tried my best not to pour the ass of the bottle.

Wow! Smells like hops, like an IPA. Starnge smell actually, like mily hops with a yeast funk at the end. Toasted malts are only secondary here.

Taste follows smell. Probably the hoppiest stout I've had. Then there's that pleasant white russian flavor. I'm liking this. Real strong flavors at first, then tapering off. Hop burps ensue.

Heavy carbonation, but still smooth. Nice full body without being syrupy.

One of the better stouts I've had, but not as good as the Kalamazoo. I like the hops, but on the other hand it lacks the true-to-form stout qualities. I'd have no problems drinking this again, but it's not my favorite.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black. A slightly aggressive pour at the end produces a dark cream two finger head which dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: Dark chocolates and dark roasted coffee with cream. Very inviting and delicious smelling beer.

Taste: The roasted malt hits you up front with the dark coffee/chocolate and follows with bittersweet cream in the end. Every sip keeps you wanting more.

Mouthfeel: Bordering on medium to thick. The medium carbonation and creaminess is a killer combo.

Overall: Easily my favorite session stout. The low abv allows you to easily pound a few of these no problem. This beer is fantastic and I could easily drink it all night. If all American Stouts tasted this way the world would be a better place. Highly recommend!

3.4/5  rDev -14.1%

Hands: Bottle

Eyes: Pitch black with a very little tan head, no retention and decent lacing.

Nose: Lots of sweet malts, some roasted notes and vanilla.

Tongue: Little hops, lots of roasted malts, and a lingering sweetness accompanied by some coffee-like bitterness.

Mouth: Its quite creamy...maybe even double creamy. Appropriate carbonation.

Mind: A nice stout. Other than a slightly higher than normal creaminess out of a bottle, pretty standard, but well executed.

4.73/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance -- Pours a deep midnight black into my imperial pint glass. Nice foamy one finger khaki head. Very impressive to behold!

Smell -- Faint hoppy nose, bitter chocolate and a little bit of coffee. I really enjoy the complexity of this brew.

Taste -- Exceptional! Slightly bitter upfront, with a nice chocolate/coffee finish. I'd say the chocolate is more apparent than the coffee. The alcohol is masked quite nicely, but you can still enjoy the warming feeling as this stout goes down.

Mouthfeel -- Thick and creamy. . . almost chewy. Very nice.

Drinkability -- If I can find anymore of this I'll be buying it. Very drinkable, but one should probably limit it because this is my first one and I can already feel a hint of a buzz. This brewery really has its stuff together. Absolutely brilliant!

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

This poured a nice dark brown color from the bottle with a thin brown head that quickly dissipated to a thin rim around the top.

Smell consists of a good bit of chocolate and some dark maltiness.

Taste is a nice mix of coffee, chocolate and malt. It starts out semi-sweet and ends with a little bitterness, but not overwhelmingly so.

This stout has just the right amount of carbonation, and is not overly thick or syrupy. An very decent consistency overall.

I could definitely drink this over and over again. A solid stout all the way.

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Vintage: 2010

Serving Type: 12oz Bottle poured into a Tulip Glass.

A: Pitch black with no light being able to escape its darkness. A good amount of head and lacing.

S: Chocolately with hints of a sweet, creamy smooth aroma.

T: Light coffee, chocolate with no burnt malty flavor that I kind of expected. Just a hint of hops at the very end...a nice little touch.

M: Like smooth, creamy, silky stout! Am I drinking a beer?!

D: I must say for not being much of a fan of Bell's brews I really do love this one! Can I have another?!

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

This is a very good stout, the best I've had so far. I tried Bell's porter and Java stout and was not overly impressed so I only had moderate expectations for this brew. They were far exceeded.

It looks deep, dark black; as you'd think a rich stout would. The head was small but lingering. The taste was indeed exceptional (5). This has all the fullness and flavor of the Java stout but is toned down just a bit and isn't overpowered by roasty-coffee flavors. This is what I had hoped the Java stout would have been. Glad I found it. To quote the governator: "I'll be back".

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

Oh my gosh...I am completely in love with this beer.

A - Opaque brown/black with tan, sticky lacing that lingers throughout the glass.

S - Malted chocolate is right off the bat with light coffee

T - Creamy, creamy maled chocolate, roasted coffee, marshmallows.

M - Light medium body, light carbonation, velvety feel

D - This is a beer you could get lost in and end up drinking 6 before you know it. It is very smooth, tasty, there are plenty of creamy flavors that blend perfectly to make this a very drinkable beer.

This beer is absolutely delicious...one of the best beers I have ever had. YUMMY!

3.84/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a deep burgundy color, lighter than many stouts. Pours with a decent tan head. The aroma is relatively mild, roasted malt and maybe a hint of chocolate.

The flavor has more roasted malt than i would expect, definetely has a creamy smoothness to it. A bit bitter to start, but this is a really drinkable stout.

(I first drank a bells stout on tap when i was in college in ann arbor in 1985 or 86, that was a ridiculously sweet stout. time flies.)

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a dark opaque brown with a one-finger tan head that leaves billowy lacing as it fades. The aroma is very sweet, slightly milky, with some espresso and chocolate notes. I find the taste to be exceptional with front-end sweetness that thins out slowly to slight sourness and roasted coffe notes. The mouthfeel is very nice -- carbonation accents the brew nicely. A very nice effort from Bell's.

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a black color with decent tan head.

Has a light, sweet aroma. A nice, mellow roasty malt aroma too.

This milk stout has a creamy, sweet and roasty taste. Has a smooth feel and taste. The sweet malts add much flavor.

The mouthful is is creamy and milky. It is a very smooth stout.

The sweetness makes it very drinkable. Double Cream is not too strong and quite easy to drink. Its been a while since I have had a Double Cream Stout.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

12 ounce bottle (batch 10106) poured into Duvel tulip. A 1 finger mocha head flees quickly leaving a skin of bubbles floating on top. As it's drunk, it leaves a few tiny spots of foam on the glass, and seems to have some long legs as the liquid gently crawls back down the glass. Inky black color with brown edges, though this was more brown-black pouring out of the bottle.

Aromas of mocha espresso, dark chocolate, toast, sweetish liquorice... a hint of plums and dates?

Initial taste is dominated by roast coffee bean with a hint of acidity, and then cola root flavors come through along with a taste of milk chocolate. Finishes sweet with almost a hint of grape juice and a smoky burnt toast note that is pleasant.

Bitterness is there and makes itself known but it nicely harmonizes with the other flavors and gives this stout just enough of an edge that's enjoyable.

Carbonation doesn't seem high but the bubbles make this feel a bit crisp on the tongue. Smooth creamy mouthfeel otherwise but not syrupy or overtly heavy. Nice long finish that is roasty and sweet -- very nice! Excellent brew, great drinking!

3.38/5  rDev -14.6%

The color is black, with only the slightest hint of transparency around the rims.

It poured a nice sustaining head which was slightly dirty . The aroma is great, lots of coffee and chocolate malt. The aroma also has a slight hint of a burnt popcorn like aroma.

The taste is definitely "Interesting". It has Its like a smooth and creamy coffee with chocolate undertone. The Burnt popcorn comes out in the finish. But there is an overwhelming bitterness and sourness to it that I notice as I drink it more and more.

The drink-ability is only moderate, as it is enjoyable but I do not know if I could drink these one after another all that easily, especially with the sour aspect to it.

Batch #9513

Acquired from a PA Store.

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout
Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Thank you drxandy, another quality brew from M!CH!GAN.

Appearance:
This stout is as black as it gets, opaque and impenetrable to light. A decent tan head with good retention emerges and slowly fades to a ring of foam around the outside with a few snowflakes inside. Spotty lacing clings to the glass and the beer departs.

Smell:
Roasty, toasty, sweet malty goodness comes in a rush to the nose. A very slight waft of espresso and a touch of marshmallow accompany a slight suggestion of alcohol. This brew has a nice, complex, and enjoyable aroma.

Taste:
Sweet and sour alcohol flavors tickle the tip of the tongue on first contact. This poignant flavor is followed by a rich and creamy malt flavor. Next, is a transitional finish containing the flavors of delightful coffee bitterness with a touch of alcohol. The aftertaste is the transition completed. It is a little on the dry side with great subtle flavors of coffee and dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel:
The mouthfeel can be described as nice and heavy, creamy and smooth. There isn't a whole lot of carbonation detectable, but it will foam up nicely with agitation.

Drinkability:
Bitter aftertaste and hefty body keep this brew in the ranks of an admirable sipper.

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%

Appears dark brown/black, almost opaque, with a light-brown head that was almost non-existent following a standard pour. Aroma was mainly chocolate, with noticeable roasted malt, and a hint of alcohol. Very inviting. As might be expected, taste was very sweet upfront with a light chocolate and mild roasted malt flavor. A light a sweet roasty flavor lingered into the aftertaste with a dry finish. Mouthfeel was smooth with little to no carbonation detectable. Body was light to medium. Lighter than I would have liked. This beer was enjoyable, but for me a bit too rich to have several.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

What a treat! Before this year, I've left this one go. It's a take on an overdone theme (cream stouts) and the label is bland so I guess it just never caught my eye. Well recently a friend had a tulip of this and I could smell the delicious aroma from where I was sitting. Once I found out what it was I got one for myself and just enjoyed it thoroughly. This stout is now part of my permanent lineup. I almost never give 5's but was close to doing just that on the drinkable of this stout. Most stouts are very heavy and very potent with low drinkability just due to sensory overload from the complexity and high ABVs. Don't misunderstand, I love the class. LOVE it. But the drinkability is fairly low on these.

I digress. This stout has a dark appearance with a nice mocha head. It's dark and looks like a stout in color but with perhaps a little more carbo then I've come to expect from world-class stouts. The aroma is creamy (duh) with chocolate, coffee, caramel. It's a great balance. Nothing overpowers - not any of the flavors or the alcohol, or the carbonation. Many might say boring. I say good job! The drinkability is the main factor as with all my beers. A beer has to be drinkable. This stout is heavily drinkable and came close to a 5 in this regard.

A pleasure to drink - and more than one. Great work!

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2012 Edition
A: Poured a dark color with a little head .
S: Roasted malt , smoke,dark chocolate and cream is present .
T: It is quite smooth and with nice bitter finish. Do like the big front dark start and stout finish.
M: A good medium mouthfeel , good finish and well balanced. This might make a great food pairing beer. Can you say a hearty stew.
O : Bell's does make great beer and this no exception . Make a winter choice for sure and share it with friends.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

2010 bottle served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours an inky black with a large tan head. Good lacing.

Smell: Lots of roasted malts, some chocolate, and a slight hint of fruitiness.

Taste: Heavy roasted malt flavor with hints of coffee and dark chocolate. The finish is sweet and ever so slightly fruity.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall: This is a tasty stout, but it isn't quite as creamy as I was hoping. All things considered I am still happy to have five more in my fridge, but I was just expecting something slightly different.

3.62/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Very opaque typical stout black (very dark brown). Outline is deep ruby. Thin light brown head that dissipates very quickly.

Smell: Chocolate. It evens has that tangy tinge that chocolate sometimes has. Also good amount of coffee. Also roasted malts.

Taste: Pretty generic roasted malt taste up front. Bit of creaminess and loads of bitterness on the back end, almost like it is burnt, which is unique but not very pleasant to me. Also a bit tangy.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin though creamy, especially upon the lips. Low to medium carbonation.

Overall: Average but nothing spectacular at all. Definitely expect more from Bell's but certainly not a bad beer by any measure.

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%

This was a good overall stout, the appearance was good, nice dark brown blackish color with a tan/white head. Had a nice sweet roasted smell with a slight hint in alcohol in the nose. I feel it had a nice taste overall, you can taste the sweetness from the cream and also the roasted coffee and chocalate, which a slight bitter coffee at the end. Mouth feel and drinkablility are good...maybe just a little too sweet but i would still bang a few back!!!

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

Batch 10144, poured into a pint glass

A: Black with hints of deep mahogany at the edges, with a half inch tan head that provides little to no lacing.

S: Has that characteristic milk/cream stout smell of lactose, roasted malt, vanilla, and hints of cocoa. Inviting, but not outstanding or remarkable.

T: Predominant tastes of roasted malt and cocoa, with a cream sweetness to it, and subtle tones of dark fruit as it warms.

M: Feels appropriately viscous for the style, but perhaps *just* a bit overcarbonated.

O: This is an extremely tasty beer that I feel falls just short of my favorites of the style (Left Hand Milk Stout and Terrapin Moo-Hoo) which is less a knock on this excellent offering by Bells than it is a testament to the quality of those other two brews. Given that Terrapin doesn't distribute this far north, I would easily buy this if Left Hand pulled out of Wisconsin.

4.08/5  rDev +3%

I found this bottle at a local store and jumped at the chance to try it. So far I haven't found a Bell's beer that I haven't enjoyed.

12oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Beer is a nice ruby-brown and leaves a 1 inch mocha colored head which dissipates to a thin layer very quickly. There is a very nice ring left around the edges, still having that mocha color. I'm surprised by the lack of malt smell. Instead I'm greeted with a recognizable lactose smell, probably common in milk stouts! Go figure! There are plenty of chocolate and coffee notes as well. The taste to this is actually just the reverse of the smell. Immediately I am punched in the face by a barrage of coffee, dark chocolate, and burnt malt flavors. It tastes pretty similar to what I drank for breakfast, only much much colder. I've had a few milk stouts before and I'm expecting a lactose taste, but it never seems to shine through as prominently as I expect. Once I let it warm up I can pick up on more of a milky taste, but it's very subtle. With each sip this beer gets silkier and silkier. This is absolutely delicious! I've drank about half of the bottle and I can start to fell some of the effects of the 7.5%. I'm definitely picking this up as soon as I can!

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Jet black with a small dark brown head. Poured into a Perfect Pint so the head lasted.

S: Dark Chocolate.

T: Espresso, dark chocolate, dates.

M: Creamy.

D: Yum! The flavor is strong, so it's a sipper for me.

O: Buy again? Definitely. Recommend? Highly. Search out? Yes. Worth the price? For the alcohol and strength of flavor, yes (something like a dollar fifty a bottle).

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured a black color with a frothy tan head. Left nice lacing on the glass.

Nose was chocolate, roasted coffee, and I believe I may have picked up a hint of molasses.

Taste is coffee up front with a little bit of chocolate. Smoky, roasted malts are in there with a finish that is not very bitter. It actually had a sweeter finish as it warmed up.

Has a creamy, full mouthfeel. Just was I was hoping to find in a cream stout. Just excellent.

Overall, this is a excellent representation of the style and one of the better stouts I have had. I would suggest this to any stout drinker out there who has yet to have the pleasure of enjoying this one.

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.