Follow our progress ...

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Stout

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.

Added by Mitchster on 12-30-2001

Reviews: 1,417 | Ratings: 3,677
4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

It's beautiful, honestly, and it smells amazing just pouring from the bottle. A rich, espresso-like roastiness on the nose, though smokier on the palate. The mouthfeel is excellent, plush and silky. I think that's is the best part of this beer, though Walows thinks the taste is better. Dark, dark chocolate and not acidic in the least - and, you know, I agree with him. Well, ok, we'll split the difference. (And still, I can't get over this lovely mouthfeel; it feels GREAT on the palate.) This beer is seriously delicious and I want to keep drinking it but alas, my glass is empty.

Thanks, Urbancaver, for another great one, and thanks Walows for sharing it with me.

3.7/5  rDev -7%

a- Dark brown with a caremel like head to it that seemed to stay forever.

s- Smelled like straight coffee and chocolate. Almost like a mocha.

t- This beer had a little less taste than I would have liked. You can obviously taste the beer in the aftertaste, but while you are drinking it, it almost seems as if the beer tastes like water.

m- This beer has a pretty good mouthfeel to it. Not to highly carbonated and definately not to creamy.

o- Overall I think that this beer could definately use something else in the flavor. It is not that this beer is bad, but more like it is "lacking something".

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

The bottle says 6.1% ABV. I don't know why they wouldn't just call this ''Bell's special cream stout''.

Pours very very black. Big two and a half finger head. The light brown head dissipates rather quickly leaving a thin layer on top of a black ocean of goodness.

OK, here's the one thing that turns me off about this beer: it smells terrible. The odor is of wet flour or some god awful white bread dough.

Moving on...

Tastes great. Big roasted coffee flavor with subtle chocolate malts in the background. Smooth taste. Nice to drink when it's still fairly cold.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are very nice. The 6.1% alcohol is perfect for this brew, allowing you to fully enjoy the complex roasted and coffee malt flavors.

Now, if it only smelled better...

3.84/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a deep burgundy color, lighter than many stouts. Pours with a decent tan head. The aroma is relatively mild, roasted malt and maybe a hint of chocolate.

The flavor has more roasted malt than i would expect, definetely has a creamy smoothness to it. A bit bitter to start, but this is a really drinkable stout.

(I first drank a bells stout on tap when i was in college in ann arbor in 1985 or 86, that was a ridiculously sweet stout. time flies.)

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

A- 12 oz brown bottle poured into a mug. The beer is black, with a 2 finger brown head which fades slowly. Not the greatest head retention or lacing, but better than most.

S- Pretty nondescript, some sweetness, caramel, and coffee/roasted notes. Not very strong of an aroma.

T- A roasted malt flavor predominates, with some chocolate and coffee notes. Some flavor of toffee and sweet cream is noticeable. All good flavors that go together well. No hop or alcohol detectable.

M- Thick and creamy as it should be. No carbonation except for the head. This is really the strongest point of the beer.

D- Something about this beer really works for me. I can't stop drinking it. I think it just goes down way too smooth. Too bad it's $10 for a sixer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark, translucent brown with a hefty crown of rich beige color. Aroma is mostly earthy malt tones, coffee, and vanilla.

The taste follows suit, with coffee becoming dominant. The malt balance is awesome; The sweetness and roasty bitterness compliment each other well, with the sweetness in front. Solid hop presence merges with the slight malt bitterness on the finish. The creamy, silky mouthfeel and great balance contribute to the high drinkability score.

4.82/5  rDev +21.1%

One of my favorite cream stouts that keeps me coming back over and over again.

A- Pours a solid black body with a dark cream colored head that stays around for ages.

S- The aroma is wonderful and complex. Dark roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, hazelnut, toasted aromas, and a bit of smokiness.

T- Wonderful chocolate and coffee notes up front, quickly followed by the toasted and roasted flavors described in the aroma.

M- Near perfect. Creamy like no other. Goes down with such ease.

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

pours opaque, black color. minimal carbonation, little foamy head rises and falls fairly quickly. no lacing. this smells of heavy cream, roasted malt. this is a very creamy, sweet milk stout. balanced by abundant roasted malt, this medium-full bodied stout is very sessionable. great example of the style. odd, apparently theres no lactose in this-it tastes just like any milk stout should, i thought it was one of the best examples of the style i've tried-now i don't know what to think.

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%

Served in a pint glass @ 58 degrees F.

Poured a nice rich, opaque black with tan lacing that quickly dissipated.

First sniff tells me this beer has a malt aroma that I don't find particularly appealing. There is something about the grains used - I am guessing special roast and some flaked barley? I can only descibe this as being like vegetal matter that has slightly turned - compost? It never does blow off with time.
I have had this beer many times and from differnt batches and I get this stinky smell everytime.

However, I do love the characteristic Bells vinous notes that always accompany their stouts - fruity, dark stone fruits: cherries, plums, prunes, currants. This is pleasantly balanced with a nice smooth roast profile. Not too sharp. A well balanced stout.

This beer tastes very similar to the aroma profile above. I can taste the vegetal thing interwoven with all of that nice fruit and chocolatey roast. The bitterness is subdued and well integrated. If that vegetal thing was gone this beer would display superb balance and finese for such a robust concoction.

The mouthfeel is rather thin for a beer of this size. I will keep drinking K-Zoo stout, Expedition, 7000 and quit complaining!

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Dark chocolate color, almost black. Pours with a nice brown colored head and diminishes immediately into slight brown film.

Smell - Rich, nutty aroma with a hint of smoke and molasses.

Taste - Nice smokey flavor with a touch of residual bitterness. Rich spicy flavor with wood-like notes.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth and creamy on the palate, even thicker as it goes down.

Overall - Extremely enjoyable and balanced cream stout. Not too overpowering, but rustic smoke flavor is apparent. Pleasant mouthfeel and texture. Great winter beer.

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Poured into a pint glass. Head was 1 finger in height and mocha in color, and a good amount of lacing was left on the glass. Somewhat high in viscosity. A little less head and carbonation than I would like, but overall, not bad.

S: Sweet caramel and chocolate malts, roasted and toasted.

T: Typical stout tastes of the chocolate and caramel roasted malts. A little bit of coffee, and some hop bitterness, but more sweet.

M: I thought it was fairly creamy. I thought it had the viscous mouthfeel of certain imperials, but with a much sweeter taste.

D: Tasty and creamy, but filling. Mostly a dessert beer or one for sitting next to the fire on a cold day. Overall pleased. Not astounded, but happy.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

poured from a bottle to a clear pint glass: forms a tan 1.5 finger head, which diminishes to a small ring of foam. Jet black body, no light getting through this one. small bubbles can be seen at the edge of the glass if you look hard.

smells a roasty malts to me. a touch of chocolate? yeah, maybe a bit of a sweet smell in there too.

mmmm.... a good milk stout is nice indeed. a nice job, as it's not overly sweet either. a good play of roast and bitterness to balance the sweet, so it's not a bottle of soda. some chocolate and maltiness in there add to the creamy taste of this guy.

a nice creamy mouthfeel, but not super thick. the carbonation level is nice for this style too, not overly carb'ed to the point it's tingling or stinging.

easy to drink and pleasant. if it wasn't hard for me to come by (ie, a trip out to PA to find it) i can see this being good for me and some friends before, during, and after dinner.

1.95/5  rDev -51%

A - Opaque black with a finger of tan head.

S - Prunes, chocolate and roast malt. No hint of a problem so far...

T - I have to have a bad bottle. There's no flavor whatsoever besides a strong tartness and bitterness. I'm guessing it's the lactic acid that took over the whole thing.

M - Super thin bodied, probably as a result of whatever ruined the bottle.

D - Poured it out.

Didn't expect vinegar. I'm pretty disappointed because I was looking forward to this one, and I can't get it in my hometown. Oh well.

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Pours a deep black, with a thin tan head that doesn't stick around. There is noticeable carbonation bubbling up from the bottom of the glass.

S - Malty smell, with notes of vanilla and chocolate.

T - Sweet, creamy taste, well balanced hop profile. Roasted coffee flavor lingers throughout the glass.

M - Goes down very smooth. Light carbonation which fits perfectly.

D - Very drinkable. I enjoyed this one quite a bit, and will certainly reach for it again when I get the opportunity.

3.44/5  rDev -13.6%

I received this in a bottle from a Mix a Six pack at my local retailer.

It appeared with a dark brown color with a 1/4 inch head on top. It smelled very nice with hints of half & half cream (hence the name), malt, roasted barley, and coffee.

The taste was what one would expect from a decent midline priced stout from a microbrewery. Not underwhelming, not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel was creamy, cool and not real gritty. I was expecting a little bit more of a creamy texture but just received a typical stout taste.

Overall for price point, this one is a bit high. I've had better and far worse. This one is middle of the road for me. I wouldn't buy a whole pack but if offered to me, I wouldn't turn it down.

4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into a very large mug from the bottle. I would just like to say I really enjoy the presentation of this beer. Nice label design on it.

a- Pours dark opaqe brown that shows virtually nothing even when held up to a light. Two fingers of creamy rich tan head.

s- Upfront roasted malts and coffee chocolate. Heavy suggestions of chocolate milk, toffee, rich caramel. A definite sweetness in the smell. Very robust and pleasing.

t- I actually have to admit I feel kind of stumped in trying to analyze this one. Certainly not in a bad way, though, and there's nothing hindering my taste at the moment. Hmm.. The immediate sensation is a really delightful chocolate toffe and dark heavy bread with hints at coffee with cream, prunes and raisins and caramel. A mild roast coffee bitterness with subtle hops in the finish. Perhaps a bit too weak all around, but the flavors present are excellent and rich.

m- Wow, this is what I noticed immediately, rather than the taste. It goes down so delightfully smooth and creamy, it's easy to just sit back and feel this go down and not think about anything. Carbonation is so subtle but this just feels incredibly wonderful. Works perfectly with the sweet richness in the taste.

d- This is definitely a heavy beer in the stomach, and a very strong dessert beer. Consume after some lighter offerings and don't be disappointed at all.

I wasn't entirely sure how this was going to turn out. I've tried so many milk stouts and was curious about Bell's "double" take on the style, being that they like to try doing thier own thing. I was definitely not disappointed by this, and if you come across it ever, I highly reccomend a try.

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a nice beer!

Pours nearly black and opaque, puts up a creamed-coffee head, and offers scents of sweetness, chocolate, and the fine dark malts that gave us this beer. Taste is really big. Roasty n' toasty, sweet, savory, and chocolately flavors really treat my tastebuds well.

Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, and YUM!!!

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

Number code on the back label: 8273.

Poured into a 16 oz Imperial shaped pint glass. This stout has a creamy dark brown head. It's totally opaque; black as night. Head fades rather quickly.

Dark chocolate and roasted malt steals the show while a slight molasses aroma hides in the back.

Mild hop bitterness balances with the residual sweetness. Chocolate covered malt balls is what comes to mind. Not that its overly sweet, but that is what comes to mind.

Double Cream is very full bodied without being chewy. Its milky smooth.

Not sure exactly what constitutes a double cream stout, but I would expect a beer that is a bit more reminiscent of a big stout brewed with plenty of lactose that would contribute a lot more body and leave more sweetness in the finished product. Don't get me wrong, this beer drinks well and is enjoyable, but I think the name conjures up a presumption that it doesn't quite fill.

Music enjoyed whilst sampling: 3 the Hard Way by the Beastie Boys

4.27/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured a single ($1.35) into an English pint glass.

Nice dark stout, some ruby hues, with a good solid 2cm of tight tan head. Only loses points because some nasty yeasty junk came out even though I tried my best not to pour the ass of the bottle.

Wow! Smells like hops, like an IPA. Starnge smell actually, like mily hops with a yeast funk at the end. Toasted malts are only secondary here.

Taste follows smell. Probably the hoppiest stout I've had. Then there's that pleasant white russian flavor. I'm liking this. Real strong flavors at first, then tapering off. Hop burps ensue.

Heavy carbonation, but still smooth. Nice full body without being syrupy.

One of the better stouts I've had, but not as good as the Kalamazoo. I like the hops, but on the other hand it lacks the true-to-form stout qualities. I'd have no problems drinking this again, but it's not my favorite.

4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black. A slightly aggressive pour at the end produces a dark cream two finger head which dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: Dark chocolates and dark roasted coffee with cream. Very inviting and delicious smelling beer.

Taste: The roasted malt hits you up front with the dark coffee/chocolate and follows with bittersweet cream in the end. Every sip keeps you wanting more.

Mouthfeel: Bordering on medium to thick. The medium carbonation and creaminess is a killer combo.

Overall: Easily my favorite session stout. The low abv allows you to easily pound a few of these no problem. This beer is fantastic and I could easily drink it all night. If all American Stouts tasted this way the world would be a better place. Highly recommend!

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Jet black with a small dark brown head. Poured into a Perfect Pint so the head lasted.

S: Dark Chocolate.

T: Espresso, dark chocolate, dates.

M: Creamy.

D: Yum! The flavor is strong, so it's a sipper for me.

O: Buy again? Definitely. Recommend? Highly. Search out? Yes. Worth the price? For the alcohol and strength of flavor, yes (something like a dollar fifty a bottle).

4.73/5  rDev +18.8%

Appearance -- Pours a deep midnight black into my imperial pint glass. Nice foamy one finger khaki head. Very impressive to behold!

Smell -- Faint hoppy nose, bitter chocolate and a little bit of coffee. I really enjoy the complexity of this brew.

Taste -- Exceptional! Slightly bitter upfront, with a nice chocolate/coffee finish. I'd say the chocolate is more apparent than the coffee. The alcohol is masked quite nicely, but you can still enjoy the warming feeling as this stout goes down.

Mouthfeel -- Thick and creamy. . . almost chewy. Very nice.

Drinkability -- If I can find anymore of this I'll be buying it. Very drinkable, but one should probably limit it because this is my first one and I can already feel a hint of a buzz. This brewery really has its stuff together. Absolutely brilliant!

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

This poured a nice dark brown color from the bottle with a thin brown head that quickly dissipated to a thin rim around the top.

Smell consists of a good bit of chocolate and some dark maltiness.

Taste is a nice mix of coffee, chocolate and malt. It starts out semi-sweet and ends with a little bitterness, but not overwhelmingly so.

This stout has just the right amount of carbonation, and is not overly thick or syrupy. An very decent consistency overall.

I could definitely drink this over and over again. A solid stout all the way.

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Vintage: 2010

Serving Type: 12oz Bottle poured into a Tulip Glass.

A: Pitch black with no light being able to escape its darkness. A good amount of head and lacing.

S: Chocolately with hints of a sweet, creamy smooth aroma.

T: Light coffee, chocolate with no burnt malty flavor that I kind of expected. Just a hint of hops at the very end...a nice little touch.

M: Like smooth, creamy, silky stout! Am I drinking a beer?!

D: I must say for not being much of a fan of Bell's brews I really do love this one! Can I have another?!

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

This is a very good stout, the best I've had so far. I tried Bell's porter and Java stout and was not overly impressed so I only had moderate expectations for this brew. They were far exceeded.

It looks deep, dark black; as you'd think a rich stout would. The head was small but lingering. The taste was indeed exceptional (5). This has all the fullness and flavor of the Java stout but is toned down just a bit and isn't overpowered by roasty-coffee flavors. This is what I had hoped the Java stout would have been. Glad I found it. To quote the governator: "I'll be back".

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.