Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-30-2001

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Special Double Cream Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,459 | Reviews: 1,405
4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have had this multiple times at two different locations- on tap. It was labelled at both places as Bells Cream Stout. I looked at Bells website and did not find a Cream Stout, except Bells Double Cream Stout, so I am assuming they are the same.
I found the flavor was not that exceptional, good but not great, at one place. I believe it was due to it being served ice cold, and this needs to be drunk at a more moderate temperature.
I have had it multiple times since, and found it exceptionally flavorful, with all sorts of malt flavors, a touch of hoppiness, and definite coffee and chocolate flavors. The flavors are well balanced, so that if you are thinking "coffee" that seems predominant. If you are thinking "malts galore" you will really notice all the malt flavors.
I wonder if some of the other reviewers had a serving that was too cold, because this is one of the most flavorful dark beers I have had. Or it was a different beer. It did seem to have more of a kick than the Double Cream stout's advertised 6.1% alcohols.

4.19/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A very good pour. Tasty, creamy. A good option for those new to stouts.

A: Nice looking head, giving way to clusters of lacing and sandy striations. As it settles, looks like last glimpse of Maine sunset -- black but with notable orange/crimson ring on the edges. Suds stick to side of glass.

S: Sweet. Butterscotch. Java chip ice cream.

T: Smooth. Cocoa, espresso. Very mild bitterness. Roasted malts.

M: Soft, watery. Not necessarily a bad thing; but it's pretty flimsy.

O: Very easy to drink. Again, a good "starter stout." Not bitter, very smooth. Not necessarily a Hall of Fame beer, but truly is TOPS in look and aroma. But for weak body, an otherwise great blend of taste, look and smell that is enjoyable to drink.

Repeat? Sure. Although I don't yearn for another, I certainly would have it stocked on-hand for friends (particularly those new to stouts), and would happily imbibe with them.

Random Notes: Unlike many stouts, this one tastes better COLD

Two Words? Satisfying Sampler

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Had a couple of these at a local restaurant on tap. Definitely a heavy stout for a winter day. Outstanding flavor. Actually prefer this over Guinness. Next to a great burger, forget about it...

4.95/5  rDev +25%

a: Lacy, head is solid, looks like a nice tan color and I love the way the head settles, if poured a little violently. Awsome

s: chocolate and alcohol with a bit of smoke taste to it at the end. Very smooth

t: oh greatness. Leaves a thick chocolaty and bitter as it goes down, initially starts off a little weaker but very smooth at the end.

m: the biggest problem with this beer is the amount of carbonation present in it I had this on tap and when you tap a pint you get a half of a glass of head.

d: The first time I had this is on tap at my house. This was my first stout on tap and I think I picked a good one to start off with. This is a stout that hits the spot after a long day. I love the smooth full silky moth feel of this stout. But it’s a stout that can make you full after a few.

conclusion: This was my first stout on tap at home and I am really happy with my choice. I wish this was made year long but its only seasonal. I liked this stout and plan on having my distributor get me a keg next fall.

WAY TO GO BELL’S BREWING

4.12/5  rDev +4%

A: Typical stoutish look - dark brown in color, with thinner than expected head for double cream.

S: Nice carmelly roasty smell. Almost a hint of bourbon scent to it.

T: Smooth all the way through, can definitely taste the roasty sweetness, and it is consistent from start to finish.

M: A little more carbonated and watery than expected, but not unappealing at all.

D: Quite drinkable do to it's smoothness, not as filling as one might expect from a double cream either.

2.39/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: Really dark brown to black, with a small amount of head. Looks thin on pouring. Pretty average appearance.

S: I struggled with this. Very muddled smell. For a beer that bills itself as a Double Cream Stout, I expected some kind of creamy, maybe semi-sweet, or vanilla aromas. This didn't give me any of that. It barely smelled like a stout to me, which was odd.

T: Like with the smell, I had a heck of a time getting anything related to "Cream," let alone "Double Cream" out of the taste. The hints of malt taste that are there at first got dominated by a strong sour aftertaste that lingered with every sip. Tried drinking a gulp of water in between sips -- maybe it was something I ate. But nope, it was the beer. I don't know if there was a lot there even without the sourness, but the sour taste really killed this for me. It dominated everything and, frankly, was sort of nasty.

M: Thin with medium carbonation. Again, very disappointing. I expected something at least moderately thick and creamy, but there was nothing substantial here at all.

O: I was hugely disappointed with this. It tasted, smelled and felt to me like a below-average stout with something wrong with it. I may check the batch number and see. I drank it a few days after I bought it, but maybe it was sitting on the shelf in the store for a while. I'll update my review when / if I can find out.

Update: Mine was bottled a little under 4 months ago (10/17/2012). Should be well within drinkable time, barring improper storage.

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Poured in to a 12oz mug. Poured a black with a little of a dark brown tint.

S- Coffee, chocolate, dark roasted malts.

T- Taste match the smell of the beer with coffee, chocolate, dark roasted malt, with some bitterness at the end.

M- Good medium carbonation pretty good body with a good after taste.

O- Overall this is a pretty decent stout not overly creamy which is what I was expecting.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

12oz pry-off brown bottle with a batch number on the back in place of a freshness date.

Pours and looks like many stouts; black with some dark brown along the edges when held up against light. A nice tan head that fades into some very nice lacing that sticks around for a while. Looks like it has a nice amount of carbonation.

Smells of dark malts, some roasted notes detectable, some sweetness in the aroma, hints of coffee. More aromatic than what I would have expected, which is great, but it's nothing special.

Taste sweet at first, crisp, creamy, then you taste the roasted malts, hints of coffee, and some slight bitterness from the hops. You'll feel a slight warming from the alcohol as it goes down, but it doesn't distract you from the other flavors. Feels creamy on the palate, smooth, which is nice.

I wouldn't want to drink more than one of these if I had just eaten, or during a meal, due to the brews ability to fill you up fast. But away from a meal I could drink a couple of these. I'm sure after a couple you'd start to realize the higher ABV. But for this style of beer you couldn't expect anything else.

Notes: An overall good sweet stout that's readily available in most areas, which gives it points in my book.

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

Paid twelve dollars for a sixer of this at the local grocery store. What's noteable about this is that all of the other Bell's sixers (including the Kalamazoo Stout) were only eight dollars.

The appearance of this brew, when poured into a glass is jet black (like most stouts) with an off-white, almost-bronzish head. Not as much head or "shade-morphing" as is typical with Young's, Guinness, or Samuel Smith Stouts. An attractive beer but not quite as pretty as many of the English Cream Stouts.

smelled most notably of roasted nuts, chocolate, coffee, and heavy cream. In other words, it was a party to my nostrils.

It tasted how one would expect a medium-priced cream stout to taste. Extremely sweet, malty, and delicious. To compliment my brew, I ate a couple of butter cookies with chocolate sprinkles. It was simply exquisite.

The thing that stuck out must about this brew was its mouthfeel. DOUBLE cream is right!!! A creamy, almost buttery texture to this beer left me in awe; especially as a complement to the cookies I was eating with it. There are few stouts known to man with as wonderful of a texture.

This is a beer that I would definetely NOT drink to get drunk. I coulnd't imagine downing more than three of them without getting full to the point of wanting to lie down. More so than anything, this one (like most cream stouts) is designed to be a treat for the palate.

3.53/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Expected more out of this one. Especially with Bell's on the label. Didn't have the depth I was expecting. Was more tart than I thought a cream stout should be. Color was dark, little lacing left on the glass. Thinner than I thought it should be. Run of the mill stout. Good, but not worth searching all over for.

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Almost pure black but not quite. Dark cream colored head, looks to be medium to high carbonation.

S-Coffee, Dark roasted malts, a little chocolate. Somewhat smokey.

T- Heavy on the roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, very smokey, a little sweet. A sort of sour smokey finish. Very good.

M- I expected a thicker body but it was slightly above average. Medium carbonation.

D- Good drinkability for a heavier stout.

3.64/5  rDev -8.1%

Pour: Opaque chestnut brown-black, nice tanned head but it fell fast.

Smell: Very bready; cream notes; roasted. Grainy/spicy. A little odd, or musty-ish; something in the scent makes me think of an old carpet, a slight turn-off. Maybe a slight note of alcohol heat, too, like you might expect of a Russian Imperial, which surprises me as it's not very high ABV.

Taste: Warm, cola-like sweetness up front, followed by a buttery mouthfeel and a drier-than-anticipated finish. The creaminess here is more in the body and mouthfeel, and only one of many aspects of the taste. There are some low, dark fruit notes in the background of this one, and the dry finish has a grainy, coffee-like feel. I'm not sure all the elements here add up as ideally as desired, for me, though at least it's interesting. The cola-feel contrasts a little strangely with the buttery cream notes, and the fruit notes a little strangely against the coffee finish. It's a decent enough sipper, not one I'd turn away by any means; but it's not an absolute home run either. Unlike the Bros., I noticed zero lacing and poor head retention in my glass.

3.61/5  rDev -8.8%

I am hosting a beer dinner this week, our theme this month is sweet, cream and Imperial stouts. I have imperial and sweet stouts covered, in desperate need of a cream stout. With spring upon us, even locating a seasonal is becoming more difficult.
I attended a beer and wine tent sale this weekend, low and behold I found the Bell's Double Cream stout. The store I purchased from allows you to buy from a six pack and taste in store before purchasing the full six pack. I didn't have a glass to pour in so I am really guessing on the appearance.
It tastes like a Cream soda! Very creamy but not chokingly creamy.There are strong hints of toffee. I coudn't pick out what exactly this one flavor was but it reminded me of apricots or some other dried fruit, maybe fig.
I didn't find it to be too sweet, something I was concerned with. In fact, I know it is supposed to go well with chocolate but I have a different idea. I am serving it with a flat bread pizza, with gorgonzola, pear and figs.

7.5% ABV.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into heavy glass mug

A: Oil black with a half-finger of cocoa colored head, leaving small spotted lace. There are a few small bubbles streaming up. Maybe I poured it too cold.

S: Deep dark smores-like hint. Creamy, roasted malt.

T: Creamy, dark chocolate with slightest hint of coffee.

M: Velvet smooth too start, but surprisingly dry in the back of the throat. Not as dry as a Guinness, but I didn't think this would have this dry of a finish. Still, creamy smoothness in front.

D: Two or three of these wouldn't be unheard of, but your liver will hurt in the morning, there is a lot of density to deal with.

Recommended for the super stout lover.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

On tap @ CAH. Served in a small (12-14oz) tumbler.

A: Black/opaque. Big tan head, faded to a thin layer.

S: Cream, coffee, chocolate.

T: Sweet, creamy/frothy, chocolate milk, roasted finish.

M: Creamy (again), lighter, nice finish.

D: Very drinkable. Having a few would not be a problem, until sweetness overload and a full belly set in. Alcohol was not evident. A nice way to warm up with some creamy goodness.

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

A: Very dark, minimal head that quickly dissipated.

S: Coffee. This thing really smelled like coffee. It also had hints of vanilla, chocolate, and roasted malts. If there was one thing that jumped out though, it would be the coffee.

T: Very smooth. Had some hop bitterness for balance, but much less pronounced than a dry stout. Lots of coffee flavor. Great sweet stout taste.

M: Silky smooth. Great feel.

D: Although I have never been a fan of something as thick as a stout to be a session beer, I think I could find myself easily downing a handful of these. A great beer.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

pour from bottle to snifter. light brown head that laces ok. aroma is of chocolatey roasty malts very delicious notes. very mellow espresso like aftertaste with a creamy finishs. good stout from a good brewer who never dissapoints. could definitely pound a few.

3.53/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It had a very creamy smell with a most unique taste. The only taste that I could relate it to is going to come across as very negative. Not the initial taste or even on the swallow, but on the lips afterward, you are left with a sour cream taste. It is very peculiar to have a beer tart and creamy, and this beer definitely did it.
It is not my favorite beer, and I can recommend many more before this one. However, in no way is it a bad beer with its dark color and hearty stout taste.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

From my weekend notes: Roasty, so roasty, with a chocolate-cream heart and a dry soul, this bottle makes for quite the tasty pint. The nose makes for no big hoopla, as does the pour; not the best opening, no, but the flavor makes up for lost ground. Full of bitter cocoa and roasted malt, but with a modestly hoppy finish that accentuates the blackened fade. The feel is bubbly yet with a decadent smoothness that makes this brew disappear much too quickly. Nice stout.

4.12/5  rDev +4%

One of my favorite stouts by Bell's. I am fortunate enough to live in Kalamazoo and frequent Bell's Eccentric Cafe regularly. I have had this on tap at bells and in bottles. This review will be from the bottle I had last night with my Bacon Wrapped Pork Chops

A - Poured from 120z bottle into a pint glass. Poured a deep brown to black color with about 1 finger width of head, that dissolved after a few minutes. Very opaque against the light.

S - was fantastic. could smell the rosted malts with hints of coffee and chocolate

T - exceedd the smell. A rich creamy flavor of the malts, coffe and chocolate

M - very smooth with just a touch of bitterness in the aftertaste

O - I love almost all of Bell's beers and especially their stout. Cant wait until All Stouts Day again next year

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Black with a decent sized tan/khaki head. Fairly nice to look at but nothing spectacular

S- faint smell, not overpowering. mostly pick up malts..hint of dark fruit

T- Burnt/Roasted Malt is prominent. Nice finish is laced with the dark fruit i mentioned. Some chocolate in the middle. there's a lot of going on with the taste. Very complex, i enjoy the transition on the tongue. Taste some toffee in there too. Little bit of bitterness there as well.

M- I disagree with some other reviewers that the mouthfeel is watery. The Left Hand Milk stout to me is more of a watery stout mouthfeel, but this is pretty smooth..not overly thick but not thin. Moderate carbonation. very drinkable

O- As of right now this is considered an "exceptional" beer. I think it's a good stout...not a session stout because of it's complex flavors, but probably something i'd buy again just to pick up on the different flavors.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

A- Very nice black color, little lacing on top.

S- hints of coffee , expresso like, roasted malts and chocolate.

T- Cream , coffee, dark chocolate and hints of dark fruits.

M- Smooth, creamy. great finish.

D- exelent, can go for many of this gems !

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

This beer pours a dark dark black, smell is good but not the best of any stout. Mouthfeel is impressive and you can taste a multitude of flavors in each sip. Overall not the best stout i have had but it is well above average. I really enjoy bells brews in general and this one didn't disappoint.

2.19/5  rDev -44.7%

A: Deep brown if it were any darker it would be black. I actually had to lean it over to see the brown. Nice tan head that dissipates quickly.

S: Not at all what I expected. Very grassy. Also picked up corn. Subtle roast and a hint of black licorice. Very low hop aroma. I was looking for coffee and chocolate with a double cream.

T: Again not what I'm looking for. Roasty and a hint of coffee. No chocolate. Quite grassy again. Very noble hop flavor.

M: This is bad. Absolutely piss poor mouth feel. I had to re-read the label. I don't get much creamy feel. Not very oily. Not very big or impressive in the mouth.

O: Overall very disappointed with this beer. The label is deceiving. I wanted sweeter and this was light with subtle roast and lacking the creamy body to support it. I also felt it was over carbonated for the style.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours with a tan head that thins out while leaving a mild lace on the glass. The color is dark opaque almost black. The aroma is reminiscent of cocoa. Initial flavor is very much cream, almost like chocolate milk. As the beer warms a little, the 10 malts advertised begin to give a more complex flavor profile in addition to the traditional cream stout flavor. Low hop flavor doesn't get in the way of all the malts. Very drinkable beer. While the complex malt profile teases the tongue, it still in some ways is just another cream stout, just a more expensive cream stout. Worth a try, but wouldn't want to spend too much on what could be more affordable in other brands.

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.