Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-30-2001

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Special Double Cream Stout Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

APPEARANCE: Dark brown, nearly black. Very Clear with a noticeably taupe head.

AROMA: A noticeable malty smell with some heavy coffee tones and an ever so slight alcohol note present.

FLAVOR: Malty, roasted, coffee flavors. Extremely smooth & rich, with just a hint of sweetness. It filled my mouth with a rich, thick, but not cloying foam. Subtle hints of chocolate. A light, almost nonexistent bitterness of hops.

PALATE: Definitely a medium-bodied, extremely well balanced, very creamy mouth feel. Almost no heat (of alcohol) about it.

NOTES: I could easily make this a session beer. The beer was medium bodied, very enjoyable, and very rich. But, at 7.5% ABV I think as a session, I'd have to make it a very, very early night.

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

A - Pours pitch black with a tan head that fades quickly

S - Super roasty, malty goodness

T - Extremely roasted flavor. Creamy, with an almost dry finish that extremely rich and potent.

M - Low carbonation and medium-full in body

D - One of the best milk stouts I've had. Extremely good...I could drink a ton of these if I had them.

3.55/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This one was interesting for me. A complex enough beer, but one dominated by one flavor. For me, the nose was entirely dominated with an aroma of bread. Bread cooling after being removed from the oven. Lots of yeast and flour. Not what I was expecting. Taste is sweet, very sweet actually, with flavors of caramel and maple syrup. Good stuff. However, again, the huge yeasty flavor of bread dominated the taste. While not bad, the bread/yeast smell is nice, it really does dominate the entire beer. Just seemed a bit strange to me.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

Nice deep brown color, almost black but not quite. There is a slight coffee colored head and a light lacing.

The first thing that came to my head when I smelled it was German Chocolate Cake. The nose is a very sweet chocolatey smell. I can also smell a sweet cream. Sweetness dominates the smell.

The taste, while similar, is also quite different. The sweet chocolate is there, but tons of roasted malts is the predominant flavor. The taste goes back and forth between a rich sweetness and roasted malt.

The creamy mouthfeel is huge in this stout. There's a slightly dry finish.

For a stout, I would say drinkability is above average. Despite being so creamy, for some reason it doesn't feel as filling for me.

This is a very enjoyable stout from Bell's.

3.79/5  rDev -4.3%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic.

A- Black and opaque. Pours with 2+ fingers creamy light brown head, which fades very slowly into a thin cap. Sporadic spotty lacing.

S- Earthy, with roasty, acidic coffee.

T- Solid lactose sweetness, and dark coffee roastiness. Better than the nose was leading me to expect.

M- Moderately carbonated. Smooth and creamy. Fairly full feeling.

D- Very good..

Future outlook: Very good beer. The smell made me leery, but the taste and feel were better than expected. I'd be happy to have this again.

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

Black, with a khaki head, about 3/4 inch. Rocky and glimmery with some nice lacing remaining.

Smells like what chocolate covered raisons taste like. Good. And doesn't seem entirely unhealthy. Also good.

Malted milk ball, with an underlying roasted flavor. Lactose sweet, but a nice bittering. Whether from the hops or the roasted barley, I haven't the foggiest, but it's well rounded. No hop flavor, per se, but balanced and tasty. The raisons from the nose are more plum-like in the flavor. On further examination, some bright citrusy hop flavor comes through, albeit modestly. Scant lacing remains in the glass.

Mouthfeel is solid. Full, robust, silky smooth.

Overall, a good beer. Maybe not the big brother to the K'zoo stout, but more like it's cool cousin. The one who would buy you your first beer, and it would be this one. Maybe. Still, good solid choice for a tasty beverage.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

Carbonized wood with English Breakfast tea on the trims. The complexion appears chalky, in a tumbled marble kind of way, and the beer is uncompromisingly opaque. Good lighting reveals shades of browns near the surface but its body is impenetrable. There isn't much head but its surface is far from plain. Little marks of lacing dot the glass like rifle spray.

I'm not impressed by a brewery just putting on the label that they use 10 different malts in the recipe - I want to taste it for myself! In this case, I can smell it first. The aroma is so full of malted graininess it makes me believe I'm hovering over a propane burner and a keg full of boiling sweet homebrew wort. I don't have much experience with raw ingredients but in this I feel as though I can manage to distinctly pick out individual pale, crystal, roast and chocolate malts.

Whoa! I can taste them, too. With 10 malts in there it's easy to guess a few correctly; my palate indicates roast barley, chocolate, Munich, caramunich, a chewy English Marris Otter and likely, everything in between. Each sip is like the musical scale of malts that takes you from low octave to high, changing tones and pitch all along the way. In quick splitting seconds the taste changes from light, pale malts to dark, roasty to sweet and caramelized.

I like that the beer is left so plainly undecorated. Beers are rarely this straightforward and simple; pale ales and pilsners perhaps, but stouts rarely. I don't taste much coffee, nor chocolate, nor dark berries, nor licorice. (Actually, the most distinct impressions I get are of peat, soot, ashes and smokey wood.) I taste grains - and plenty of them. This isn't taking anything away from the flavour, on the contrary, I find this a refreshingly earnest offering.

Like good music, beer requires balance and harmony between its instruments. The use of such a profound malt bill has provided an orchestra of grainy, malty flavours that rotate positions like a game of musical chairs. It's too bad that with this being my last bottle I'm going to be the one left without a seat when the music stops. Thanks BuckeyeNation!

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Jet black with a nice head that is gone way too quickly. Moderate amount of roasted aroma with a touch of hops. Great roasted flavor. Has a fantastic grainy sort of flavor-against the roasted malt it is really good. Mild, lingering coffee taste to it. Good body, maybe a touch thin. Very enjoyable. Bell's stouts usually are!

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

A: pours black, with a 2 finger tan head.

S: dominating smell for me is coffee. there is some sweetness in the nose as well as toffee and caramel. hints of fruit, but could just be the sweetness i smell.

T: tastes of roast malt up front, with some coffee. hints of toffee and caramel in the finish. there is some sweetness.

M: very smooth with a medium body. some carbonation.

D: a good beer. could drink quite a few.

drank with whiterascal

4.19/5  rDev +5.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a normal pint glass. This beer pours dark black with a then espresso colored head. It smells of chocolate, some sort of dark fruit, and dark malts. The taste is very nice. There is a a nice chocolate bitter coffee taste up front that changes to a sweet creamy finish. The carbonation is fine and this beer is top notch. It is a little thin so those that prefer their stouts thick should tread lightly. This is a great beer.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

This is my 50th review!!

Pours completely black with one finger of tan head.

Smell is of roasted malt and chocolate with undertones of vanilla and coffee.

Taste is strongly roasted malts and coffee with a lot of heavy cream with a little vanilla. This stout is pretty well balanced. Sweet and dry at the same time. The finish has a nice bitterness to it that evens everything out.

This has a pretty light mouthfeel to it. Its creamy and almost frothy. very easy to drink and very smooth.

This is very drinkable. Overall i really like this stout. A lot of good flavors going on here.

3.72/5  rDev -6.1%

12 oz bottle decanted as instructed by Bells in an Imperial Pint.

A - Very dark amber - pretty much opaque - with a very small dark tan head that disappears pretty fast.

S - Roasted coffee and malts are bit on the nose. A slightly creamy vanilla is present too.

T - Bitter coffee is the main flavor with roasted malts, a creaminess, and a dry finish taking a back seat.

M - Creamy and smooth mouthfeel with very little amounts of bubbles are followed by a dry finish.

D - Its a rich beer that is demanding of attention. Not too drinkable after one. And its a sipper at that.

Allow to warm up to 55 degrees or higher after decanting. Much better at a warmer temp.

3.33/5  rDev -15.9%

Appearance: Pours a dark black with a thin tan head that disapates quickly. No light gets through this bad boy. Leaves some slight lacing on the glass with each sip.

Smell: Not what I was expecting, I smell soy sauce. Very salty smelling. Also a slight smokey peat smell like a good single malt scotch.

Taste: Good carbonation, smooth and salty tasting. A faint sweetness to it but I can't really call it chocolate tasting. There is definitly a creamy feel to it though. The saltiness is somewhat off putting.

Being a WMU grad I feel it my duty to get my hands on all the Bell's products I can. I have a love hate with Bells in that everyone I talk to loves it but I really cant say any of their beers have been life changing for me. I really want to love them but I haven't found anything that rocks my boat yet. This one is another "eh" beer, I could take it or leave it.

P.S. This beer is rated at 6.1% ABV on the bottle, not 7.5% like it states above.

3.8/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in pint glass from bottle. Deep black with a tan, fluffy head that quickly subsided.

Smells of roasted malt. Maybe a hint of coffee or chocolate.

Taste of roast malt. Some coffee in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium with little carbonation. Very creamy and smooth. Overall pretty good.

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%

I held this glass right up to a 65 watt floodlight and it only just brightened maybe the first quarter inch of this beer. Dark was this stout it its glass.

Smells like fresh cream, chocolate, coffee, brown sugar, and more chocolate.

Taste is bitter chocolate, coffee, bailey's?, and more creamy goodness.

Mouthfeel isn't quite as creamy as it is more like a watered down stout.

I like a lot of bell's stouts and this one is up there, not top 3 but top 5.

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle.

Pours opaque black, with a thin light brown head.

Nose is coffeeish, but smooth. Notes of baking chocolate, some roasty espresso. Light.

Flavor is licorice and coffee with a bit of cream, sweet but roasty finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, but light, with light but crisp carbonation.

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

poured from a bottle to a clear pint glass: forms a tan 1.5 finger head, which diminishes to a small ring of foam. Jet black body, no light getting through this one. small bubbles can be seen at the edge of the glass if you look hard.

smells a roasty malts to me. a touch of chocolate? yeah, maybe a bit of a sweet smell in there too.

mmmm.... a good milk stout is nice indeed. a nice job, as it's not overly sweet either. a good play of roast and bitterness to balance the sweet, so it's not a bottle of soda. some chocolate and maltiness in there add to the creamy taste of this guy.

a nice creamy mouthfeel, but not super thick. the carbonation level is nice for this style too, not overly carb'ed to the point it's tingling or stinging.

easy to drink and pleasant. if it wasn't hard for me to come by (ie, a trip out to PA to find it) i can see this being good for me and some friends before, during, and after dinner.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Pours dark, opaque black. About a half inch of tan head. As someone else said, it pretty much just looks like a stout.

S- Roasty with notes of coffee and chocolate. Some alcohol. Not the strongest I've ever smelled, but it's pleasant and definitely there.

T- Dark, roasty malt with coffee notes. Very slight chocolate. A little sweetness from the malt and cream. A little woody too. Hint of alcohol. I really like this beer... It's not extremely complex but it is solid.

M- Very creamy and pretty thick. Nice for a double cream stout.

D- Could definitely have more than one. 7.5% masked nicely, but could bite me in the ass if I had a bunch.

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Very dark - midnight black, with a lot of head that faded slowly to about 1/2 inch.

S - Mild and pleasant - not fruity smelling

T - Very creamy and mild, with burnt undertones

M - Smooth and creamy

D - The ABV is a little bit high to be really drinkable, but

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

A - Pouring aggressively resulted in a tiny head. It was almost midnight black after the pour.

S - It had a gentle aroma of burnt malts and caramel.

T - This was a complex taste but the malts and hints of caramel in the background we there at each drink. It was surprisingly smooth, despite it's think and dark appearance.

M - I found this to be lightly carbonated and lighter tasting then I anticipated.

D - I think this was pretty good for a stout but was expecting a bit more richness.

I enjoy most of the product's by Bell's and this is also very enjoyable.

A - very dark, almost black. Pours with a little dark head, leaves some light lacing. Pretty much opaque. Looks just like... a stout.

S - earthy, dense smell of roasted malts. I have a hard time picking out specific flavors except for faint chocolate and caramel.

T - Oh my! I'm first struck by the definite creamy flavor, followed closely by unmistakeable chocolate and a hint of vanilla. It's all backed wonderfully by a solid, semisweet, slightly burnt malt taste. I'm very impressed by the taste and each sip makes me want more. The finish is reminiscent of the earthly smell from a minute ago. Not at all unpleasant.

M - Pretty thick and well-carbonated.

D - could be more drinkable, but I wouldn't trade that for the taste. No way.

Bell's has impressed me a number of times, and this one is immediately one of my favorites. I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed a stout this much. This is a rare find.

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

Had this on-tap at bocktown

A- Body is a thick, deep, dark brown hue. Is served with a wonderful 1/2 finger cream colored head that eventually fades to a thin collar and leaves little lacing behind in the glass.

S- Roasted malt, vanilla, cream, coffee, and a hint of chocolate. The slightest presence of phenols as well.

T- The flavor is more typical imperial stout than imperial milk stout. Roasted coffee flavors come through first along with a smooth creamy sweetness. The finish is pretty much all roasted malt-but this doesn't get overpowering or intense in any way. A minimal roasted malt bitterness lingers on the palate.

M- Low to medium carbonation and a pretty smooth and creamy mouthfeel. The feel is great-but for the style it is a but hindered by a slight phenolic presence.

D- This is a good milk stout. Certainly a much better imperial cream stout than creme brulee. Its good-but not as good as sessionable beers of the same character. I still do like this one and will have it again.

4.12/5  rDev +4%

Pours all black with a nice brown head that reduces to an island of foam in my glass.

It smells really good: Chocolate, coffee, even soy sauce aromas are in there!

The taste is a little bit of a letdown after that great aroma. It's quite subdued. There are chocolate and coffee and other roasted malt flavors, but none of them really stand out.

The body is fantastic. It is -- just as the name says -- like cream: slick, glassy and wonderful.

This is a real easy-drinking beer. Perhaps that's why the flavors are dialed down. Though at 7.5%, I sure can't call this a session stout.

Worth trying, for sure.

4.55/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed in a pint glass
A: Aggressive pour yields 1 finger brown head that subsides to a thin layer and ring with okay retention. Slightly better retention please. Liquid is very dark brown, not quite opaque.
S: Chocolate, roastiness, red wine, fruiy, cream, bread and butter. Only negative is too much alcohol upon warming.
T: Tasty. Great roasted maltiness with bitterness keeping it under control. Tiny, enjoyable alcohol twinge grows to just too much to enjoy.
M: Smooth and creamy - Double creamy? ;-) Yeah, actually maybe it is! Ideal.
D: High quality. I like this beer a lot and would order another and buy a six pack of it.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured with a minimal head, nearly opaque with a faint reddish black tint. Had some yeast sediments floating about.

Smells like coffee with hints of chocolate.

Tastes a bit like coffee, not too overpowering though, with hints of dark chocolate.

Has a somewhat creamy mouthfeel, minimal carbonation, leaves a creamy, slightly oily feeling in my mouth.

This beer is fairly easy to drink, not too 'coffee-ee' (if that is a word..)

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.