2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-30-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Special Double Cream Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,730 | Reviews: 1,327 | Show All Ratings:
Khazadum

4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks go out majorly to Prufrock! He has made my first BIF the greatest time of my craft beer life.

12 ounce bottle poured into my favorite brandy snifter.

Vision
The first thing I notice is how temperamental this beer is going to be with me tonight. From the moment I popped the top and started this pour, it hurries away to stash away the secrets. The off-mocha head barely rises to half a finger before it scurries down the glass. I don't even think a minute passed before every bubble of foam was gone. Not a single bubble remains to cap the body.

The previous two nights were jet black in color, but I can't say that for this beer. Granted, light cannot pass through this, and it is incredibly dark. However, I see something different here. When the light catches it in different positions it is not just black but milk chocolate... violet... deep within it you can find an interesting palate to pick from. When staring for different shades I also noticed that this brew has very little in carbonation. The edges have a few bubbles that cause the faintest of rings to perk up from the glass, but not like most beers I've seen.

Bouquet
There is a powerful aroma wafting off this glass. I can detect a charred nature, but what really slaps me in the face is dark fruits. Grapes long dried in the sun... stewed blackberries... faintly blueberry... even a faint raspberry nature all tickle my nostrils. It is amazingly sweet but not nauseating. In the beginning the fruits were paired with an astringent medicinal smell that must have been the first waves of alcohol leaving the snifter. These have by now vanished and leave me with fantastic odors. Behind the fruity nature is the bitterness of dark chocolates. If I never opened my eyes I would think there was a cornucopia in front of me.

Flavor Profile
The first tentative sip leaves me speechless. What is this? The nose is so strong, but the flavors are tender... soft. The flavors as well as feel of it is absolutely velvety. There is no charred or burnt notes that may have been in the bouquet, but there is those great grape-like flavors just barely allowing categorization. It reminds me of drinking grape juice. Having too much causes a puckering of my lips and cheeks, which for me is pleasurable. Having not enough keeps me pleasantly satisfied. No matter what type of sip I take, it is a great brew.

The finish is very clean. The flavors come and go with the liquid, but on my lips there is a residue. I can't say that it is grape, but it reminds me of bitter fruit flavors. Perhaps this is those dark chocolate notes finally coming through. It really depends on how you taste it. The quick and dirty sip if I want to enjoy a basket of berries, the long embrace if I want to bite into a bar of dark chocolate.

I'm coming back after long drinking this beer to note that the finish metamorphosized. If I take sip after sip I find that my tongue gets lathered in the bitter nature of dark chocolate that refuses to leave. It reminds me of gorging on a dark chocolate orange ( minus the citrus ) of Christmas. I'm loving the dual nature of this beer!

Oral Sensations
Very smooth... unbelievably smooth. In fact, I will say it again, this beer is velvet on the tongue. It is the perfect thickness while maintaining a creamy nature. The carbonation can't even be found if I swish this around like mouthwash and I wouldn't have it any other way. As I noticed before, the more than acceptable body allows its flavors to sometimes linger on my lips for later enjoyment.

Conclusions
Welcome to the embodification ( is that even a word? ) of Two-Face. This dark and edgy beer seems to have a dual nature in many ways. The finish is both clean and dirty. The flavors are both bitter and sweet. The nose mirrors its flavors as both bitter and sweet. It is not like these two are one and the same either. It is not bittersweet, but two unique personas. I would drink this beer every night of the week. It has so little of an alcohol punch that I couldn't even note it anywhere minus the very beginning. I loved it.

07-28-2010 02:37:52 | More by Khazadum
timherremans

Indiana

4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

A - Poured a very deep black with slightly frothy creme colored head. CO2 action is sparse. Appearance is fairly thick. Average pint glass.

S - Aroma is of heavy use of malts. Roasty. There are scents of dark cocoa . And a light scent of coffee. Could be more pronounced perhaps but it's about the taste and finish.

T - Wow. I love this stout. Very malty. Definitely heavy use of malts. Great flavor and balance. A hint of cocoa and coffee are there but not pronounced. The roasty malt is the standout and slightly smokey. The finish is really smooth and roasty.

M - A good balance of CO2 at work here. Not to much, but a nice low amount for a stout, leaving the mouthfeel slightly thick & heavy and not watery. It has a good creamy & smooth finish that gives the beer it's name.

D - 5/5. Easy to drink because of the great malt flavors and smooth creamy finish. This is a good stout. I could easy drink quite a few of these in one night. It only grows on me. This is not the first time I have bought Double Cream Stout.

Highly regarded and recommended.

03-15-2011 23:07:48 | More by timherremans
iDrinknewglarus

4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

A: Pours black with a nice and large, frothy, khaki head. Leaves superb lacing. Beautiful.

S: Smells roasty, milk chocolaty, sweet, slight bit of coffee on the back end. It smells creamy.

T: Just like the smell, I get all the components of a good stout. It has equal portions of sweet and roasted malt goodness. It does carry an appropriate bitterness to help balance it out.

M: I understand why they call this one double cream stout, because it does, in fact, carry a beautifully creamy mouthfeel that is achieved amazingly without the addition of flaked oats or lactose (and it is "only" 6.1% alcohol to boot). It is velvety smooth and it has a full body. Perfect (low) carbonation.

I can't believe it took me so long to get this beer. This is an exceptional example of a near perfect stout. I can point out no faults and can give only praise to this glorious stout.

11-16-2011 03:09:47 | More by iDrinknewglarus
rudolphjacksonm

4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

A - Opaque black with a creamy tan head that sloooowly dissipates. Heavy lacing too. Definitely a good looking beer. 5.0

S - Strong scent of espresso, cocoa, vanilla, and malt. Very slight hint of charcoal and smoke, which adds a nice edge. 4.5

T - Very creamy and smooth flavor. Malty sweetness is nicely counterbalanced by the smokey aftertaste. In fact, the aftertaste is exactly like a REALLY dark roasted coffee. How did they combine creaminess and smokiness so well??? Craziness. Just craziness. There's a slight sharpness in the middle of the taste that I hadn't noticed the last few times I've had it. 4.5

M - Creamy and smooth. Not too thick and syrupy, but not watery and bland. 5.0

O - Man, this is an amazing stout. This might even be better than the BBC's Bourbon Barrel Stout. The flavor isn't quite as evolved and complex as I remember it, which might just be from this particular bottle (maybe light struck?) or batch. Either way, it's still a great beer. 4.5

12-22-2011 00:57:53 | More by rudolphjacksonm
AudioGilz

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Being a new fan of Kalamazoo stout, I looked forward to this Double Cream Stout. It's very similar in appearance to the Kalamazoo. Double cream means just that, extra creamy. And that's how the mouthfeel is. It's very smooth chocolate, coffee, slight hops, and sweetness. I'm strongly impressed. It has amazing drinkability and a perfect roasty flavor. I was surprised to see that the ABV is 7.5%.....no hint of that whatsoever, just smooth roasty greatness.

02-12-2003 17:53:18 | More by AudioGilz
kwalters

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

This is a very good stout, the best I've had so far. I tried Bell's porter and Java stout and was not overly impressed so I only had moderate expectations for this brew. They were far exceeded.

It looks deep, dark black; as you'd think a rich stout would. The head was small but lingering. The taste was indeed exceptional (5). This has all the fullness and flavor of the Java stout but is toned down just a bit and isn't overpowered by roasty-coffee flavors. This is what I had hoped the Java stout would have been. Glad I found it. To quote the governator: "I'll be back".

01-22-2004 16:04:38 | More by kwalters
grynder33

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Mocha aroma, distinct but not heavy, small head, strong but mellow cream coffee taste, almost like a cappacino, like a fine malted Starbucks concoction, and just as expensive as one. Wonderful brew. One of my favorite new beers and the third Bell's brew I've had in the last month, that I'm very impressed with..

04-03-2004 20:41:32 | More by grynder33
clabaugh

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: Black as night body with a bubbly, ruminating head colored like clay and earth. Beautiful coloring on a head of a solid two fingers that retains acceptably. Lacing doesn't stick, but coats the glass with a swirl.

Smell: Chocolate, coffee bean, and floury malt. Caramel and sticky sweetness in the nose as well. A flowery hop character that wafts in a gentle bitterness into the nostrils.

Taste: Chocolate, warming liquer flavors, and coffee. Wine-like properties emerge, or at least a distinct taste of grape or raisin. Floral hops with a slight bitterness. Pronounced alcohol presence. Sweet fruit flavors tempered well by just the right amount of hops.

Mouthfeel: Seductively creamy. Wonderfully caressing on the tongue. Full bodied, with faint carbonation. Almost a melting sensation as one partakes.

Drinkability: Exceedingly so. A lot going on, but everything is very compatible. ABV not too overwhelming, but pleasingly warming. Pleasurable experience.

03-31-2006 01:58:02 | More by clabaugh
hwwty4

Missouri

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Wow...Great beer. I feel like I should put that upfront. Pours a dark brown, lets just a few rays of light through to alter its color. Has a slight head that leaves a mild lacing around the beer. Aroma is of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, and sweet cream. Taste is basically the same, but the sweet cream comes out in the finish of the beer to leave a sweet tang in the back of your throat. This is the first beer I’ve rated a beer with a perfect 5 in Mouthfeel. Its amazing. After the first it just wants to make me drink another.

11-21-2007 05:47:56 | More by hwwty4
Mudpuppet

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

Thanks to GrizzlyAdams for this brew.

A- Poured from a 12oz bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Pours a pitch black with about 1/2 of tan head.

S- Not a strong nose with notes of coffee and currants. Of course I am used to drinking these out of a sniffer so it may have a strong nose in that.

T- Sublime! Coffee, chocolate, dark dried fruits. Very roasty but not overpowering with flavor like the Exp. Stout. I like this beer a lot.

M- Another 5 from me. This is a very smooth beer and very creamy. Lowish cabonation but that is how you want it. I have got to try more Bell's brews.

D- Bring it on bartender! I could drink this until I was full. Because I think I would get full before drunk on this beer. Very good over all. Top 10 stouts for me!

01-08-2008 22:28:59 | More by Mudpuppet
Strix

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I'm quite impressed with this.

Pours thick out of the bottle, with a dark head. Nearly opaque with reddish-brown edges.

Smells delicious, roasted and burnt notes, with coffee, vanilla, and ashy wood

Burnt notes on dark malts, with dark chocolate, coffee, woody notes, a hint of vanilla, and a slow fading slighly hoppy bitterness. Not overly bitter or roasty though, and comes off as quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel smooth as silk, with a nice substantial consitency.

This was a pleasure to drink. I'm truly sad I only had one.

03-30-2008 01:36:55 | More by Strix
Bung

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

Real dark brown pour, cream colored head. Roasty coffee, malt and mocha. Not extreamly "creamy", but it has the best of milk stout flavor with the edge of a double. More roasty malt and coffee than a normal sweet, but has the chocolate, mocha and slight lactic tones. More hoping than usual creates this balance I would guess. Drinkable and dangerously sessionable with it's slightly lower abv that beers with similar characteristics, ie imperial or double stouts. This is somewhere between a sweet stout and a double, which is what makes it a standout and unique to me. Nothing out there is quite like this one.

11-15-2008 05:38:40 | More by Bung
Drewcifer

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

I've got to thank Matt at Capone's for recommending this one... it did not disappoint.

Pours a nice, dark brown/black, no real head to speak of, a small collar of tan around the top.

Aroma is very sweet, rich chocolate, a little milk. A little bit of a grainy note, but overwhelmingly sweet malt.

Taste is roasted malt, mild chocolate, coffee. A good blend of the three in to something altogether different, surprisingly not as sweet as I was expecting. They've done a good job of keeping it from going to far to the sweet side. An aftertaste like you get a few minutes after you finish a milk chocolate bar - it's still there, reminding you, but not holding your tastebuds hostage.

Great mouthfeel. Creamy, smooth. Thick.

Overall, a good drinkable cream stout. And not just a stout for stout lovers, but one that would go over well with many beer drinkers, regardless of their favorites. This could definitely work its way into a reserved spot in my fridge. Quality.

12-04-2008 22:04:18 | More by Drewcifer
samccoy

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Poured from a bottle, it appears as a nice dark-chocolate color with more of a milk-chocolate head.

S: It smells of marshmellows and cream. Absolutely amazing.

T: It tastes as good as it smells. There are hints of dark and chocolate malts as well as the cream flavor and marshmellow overtones. It is extremely sweet, best paired with some sort of meal to balance the sweetness.

M: The mouthfeel is extremely silky and smooth. It feels just and good and smooth as it tastes.

D: Due to the sweetness of this beer, it is very difficult to drink more than a beer or two at a time. It should be paired with a hearty meal in order to fully enjoy every aspect of this awesome brew.

12-31-2008 03:30:49 | More by samccoy
dfillius

Enjoyed in a pint glass
A: Aggressive pour yields 1 finger brown head that subsides to a thin layer and ring with okay retention. Slightly better retention please. Liquid is very dark brown, not quite opaque.
S: Chocolate, roastiness, red wine, fruiy, cream, bread and butter. Only negative is too much alcohol upon warming.
T: Tasty. Great roasted maltiness with bitterness keeping it under control. Tiny, enjoyable alcohol twinge grows to just too much to enjoy.
M: Smooth and creamy - Double creamy? ;-) Yeah, actually maybe it is! Ideal.
D: High quality. I like this beer a lot and would order another and buy a six pack of it.

03-16-2009 02:13:05 | More by dfillius
Martin2D

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

A - Pours pitch black with a tan head that fades quickly

S - Super roasty, malty goodness

T - Extremely roasted flavor. Creamy, with an almost dry finish that extremely rich and potent.

M - Low carbonation and medium-full in body

D - One of the best milk stouts I've had. Extremely good...I could drink a ton of these if I had them.

04-15-2009 02:20:19 | More by Martin2D
chickenflea

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

Absolutely opaque black in color. A simple dark tan head holds for several minutes and then drops to a thin surface covering and very nice collar. The aroma reveals licorice, sweet milk chocolate, creamy coffee, mild buttery biscuit, and a touch of raisin. Roasty. An interesting fruity tasty up front becoming quickly mildly sweet and creamy like a rich sour cream. The bitterness deepens as the beer warms and breathes on the palate. There is a touch of alcohol but it burns off quickly leaving a dry finish that's loaded with lingering bitterness, dry coffee-like roastiness, and a light touch of mildy tart dark fruitiness. The body is medium. The texture is softly fluffy as the beer seems to expand on the palate. Oily on the finish. Drinkability is high, because this beer invites you back with the promise of another intriguing sip. One of the best I've had. A very nice stout.

11-20-2010 00:14:25 | More by chickenflea
pocwolf

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

A - Black in color with a large tan head that faded pretty quickly to a thin ring. Lacing all down the glass

S - Malt, coffee and cream

T - Like drinking a coffee with cream. I find it hard to believe there is no lactose in there. Super creamy and slightly sweet. Wish there was a touch more roasty but other than that perfect.

M - Thick and creamy

O - One of my favorite stouts. I have a hard time keeping it in my fridge.

04-01-2011 05:34:13 | More by pocwolf
psuKinger

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

New slim 1/4 barrel keg tapped last weekend. Draft poured into my Stone RIS tulip.

A: Pours a murky dark shade of brown with a big beautiful frothy tan head (2 fingers worth) on top of it.

S: Roasted malts with a touch of vanilla, all done at a moderate volume. I pick up on some cocoa as well. To style.

T: Wow. Thick, rich, velvety, creamy. These are some of the words that first pop into my mind. Vanilla and cream first appear, followed closely by notes of luscious cocoa. A dry, semi-sweet finish, full of "roasted malt flavors", really rounds the experience out for me and make this an excellent, highly drinkable, thoroughly enjoyable Stout.

M: Elite. It's thick, full, luscious, and creamy. Simultaneous "full" and yet "light". Frothy and creamy, with a great moderately dry finish.

D/O: Highly drinkable. Thoroughly enjoyable. Strongly recommend. This keg purchase was not a mistake.

11-16-2011 00:35:32 | More by psuKinger
MJR

Missouri

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle

Dark brown body bordering on black. Clarity is irrelevant. Big and dense tan head with great staying power. Lots of soapy lacing. Aroma has roasted malt, bitter chocolate, subtle fruitiness, and hints of sesame seed oil and metallics. Flavor is rich and full, with some roasted malts, dark and bitter chocolate, sesame seed oil, and toasted malts. Barely a hint of lactose, but more of a well controlled sweetness. Passing suggestion of smoke shows up here and there. The metallic hint in the aroma shows up on the dry and bitter finish. Full bodied, with a creamy and oily mouthfeel. Absolutely stellar stout from the stout king.

12-03-2002 15:23:33 | More by MJR
Gusler

Arizona

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a midnight black color with a monstrous light chocolate head that creamy in its consistency and the left over lace a fine satiny sheet to meld with the glass. Rich chocolate malt sweet nose, coffee, roasted grain and just a treasure to sniff, front is ambrosial, full and rich as is the full bodied top. Finish is bittersweet, mildly acidic, bone dry and a real pleasing beer.

10-26-2003 16:43:28 | More by Gusler
daliandragon

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

This one has been sitting in the fridge for the last few weeks waiting for the weather to turn cold and I've had to warm the Buick up early in the morning before going to work (at the ungodly hour of 6:35 each day I might add).

Maybe not enough of a vigorous pour as the head is almost nonexistent on top of the nearly jet black and completely opaque body. The nose, however makes up for it with deep, delicious malty milk chocolate and plenty of it. It's not overly sweet, and stills like beer, but it's really good.

Absolute velvet in my mouth. The chocolate and coffee tones are powerful but still manage to be elegant. A late kick of oats and roasted nuts. A little more carbonation than I need in a milk stout, or any stout for that matter. All together it's pretty close to a symphony and an excellent choice for first stout of the season.

10-22-2008 03:28:07 | More by daliandragon
gdfan47

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

A- is a nice dark brown with a little white head
S- milk , cream, malt, sugar, a little sweet
T- cream, malt, corn, not overly sweet, finishes with a touch of hops
M- this one was pretty cold, but it was cold out so it worked. Good carbonation, alot less sweet then the smell dictates
D- wow i thought this was like 5 or so, very well hidden abv

a very solid beer, im not usually a stout guy. This one really works, and the bar i was at was selling it for $3!!!!

cant wait to try it on draft

02-21-2009 07:34:37 | More by gdfan47
jsanford

Georgia

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

Reviewed from notes taken on 6/15/10. Poured into my Stone IRS tulip.

A - Deep, dark brown (almost black) with a thick mocha colored head that eventually dissipates to a thin ring. Nice lacing.

S - Coffee, milk chocolate and sweet cream. I really love the smell of this beer, just so warming, like chocolate chip cookies and milk.

T - Roast coffee, vanilla and cream. Tastes like an alcoholic dark roasted latte from a coffee shop. Delicious!

M - Very creamy, with a medium body and sharp, prickly carbonation.

D - Quite drinkable, I could easily have 2-3 of these in a sitting. I really love this beer, definitely my favorite milk stout. Oh, and the label is cool, too!

09-22-2010 03:25:53 | More by jsanford
drewba

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

A - jet black, very little head. A millimeter head ring hangs around for awhile.

S - Dark chocolate, coffee and tons of roasty malt.

T - The usual suspects are here - dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee grounds, smoke and dark/roasty malts. The cocoa and coffee are adding a nice level of bitter, but the milky - lactoseyness of this beer is keeping it sweet and creating an amazing balance. The back of the bottle says that 10 malts were used, and I'm glad because these malts are unbelievable - dark, roasty, nutty, bready. I detect a tiny, unusual cherry (or something similar) is hanging around at the end of the flavor. It isn't predominant in any way, but it's there.

M - Perfect mouthfeel. Reminds me a KBS - rich and thick mouthfeel that has just enough carbonation to keep it crisp, yet smooth and creamy.

D - The bitter and sweet balance make this a drinkability winner.

10-23-2010 03:22:04 | More by drewba
Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.