2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-30-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Special Double Cream Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,729 | Reviews: 1,327 | Show All Ratings:
WeezyBoPeep

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%

I'll admit I'm not a huge stout fan, but I'm working my way through as many Bell's beers as I can get my hands on and this was next in line.

Poured a 12oz bottle into a crystal mug.

A: Pitch black with a dark tan head of froth.

S: A sharp character with lots of roasted malt and ground coffee. Notes of scotch and tangy mashed grains.

T: Creamy, but not as milky as, say, Left Hand Milk Stout. Slightly bitter, malty and with a sour middle. Bitter malty finish. I'd like it to be a little sweeter.

D: Just a trial beer for me, I wouldn't get this in a sixer or anything.

01-22-2010 22:54:43 | More by WeezyBoPeep
Kkottonmouthkngz

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%

A: rich jet black and yields a generous fluffy mocha colored head. appears as a nice stout should, inviting and warm.
S: chocolate and roasted malt. little bit of coffee but really just plays background to the roast. mild overall but pleasing for sure.
T: the overload of roasted malts gives it plenty of solid flavor, and quite tasty. my initial response is that it is a milk stout because i
get some of those familiar lactose qualities, but alas ive been proven wrong.
M: pretty damn creamy and smooth. it actually gets a little light on the back end where the roastiness dissipates just a little bit, but overall quite nice. i had this with some lamb and spicy rice and it really made the meal a totally enjoyable experience.
D: close to room temp this really just goes down so easy and i could see a future with a few more. its a nice break from the huge viscous stouts ive been settling in with so far this winter.

02-23-2011 03:08:56 | More by Kkottonmouthkngz
JRed

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours black and bubbly in body with light tan head that sticks around. Hefty aroma of butterscotch, cream, light cocoa, and vague hop presence. Tastes of smooth milk chocolate, cream, light butter, cola, roast comes in towards the finish along with a hop bitterness and leaves a faint tobacco finish. Pretty heavy carbonation in the mouthfeel and medium bodied. The flavors are welcomed but the carbonation turns me off. Wish it wasn't as fizzy on the palate and thicker in body.

01-21-2012 06:47:56 | More by JRed
dwren89

3.41/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pitch black and opaque with dark tan head that disappeared quickly

Aroma: chocolately, a little bittersweet, not a very potent aroma

Taste: bittersweet chocolate, slightly silky with a little lactose character, smooth finish

Mouthfeel: silky but not overly so, medium-full body, great balance

Overall: a good but not great milk stout. Bittersweet chocolate with a silky mouthfeel make for a good cold weather sipper

11-30-2013 22:43:50 | More by dwren89
TurdFurgison

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Stone IPA glass. Nice dark appearance with thin beige foam.

Smell is nothing special in my opinion, mostly roasted malt aroma with a little sour smell mixed in. Unfortunately the flavor is about the same. Wasn't as thick or creamy as I hoped based on the name. Just a run-of-the-mill stout to me.

I won't seek it out again.

12-23-2005 16:21:13 | More by TurdFurgison
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a nice creamy head with better then average retention. Aroma of subtle chocolate and coffee. Taste is less pronounced then expected with some sweet chocolate malt and a very subtle coffee touch. No bitterness to speak of but a nice creamy well carbonated body. The finish is a bit too watery for my taste. Good but may be a bit overrated in my mind.

04-10-2006 17:33:00 | More by Phyl21ca
TheDoorman

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

Appearance: Pitch black, with a coffee colored head that disipates rather quickly, minimal lacing.

Smell: Nice roasty, sugary, malty nose.

Taste: Nothing stands out particularly strong on this stout after the nice aroma. Not particularly sweet, fairly bland overall.

Mouthfeel: Suprisingly light body for a double cream stout, a touch of carbonation. Not the silky-smoothness I'm looking for in a cream stout. Pretty dry finish.

Drinkability: Says 6.1 ABV on the bottle, not the 7.5 it says here. Its not a particularly heavy beer, and with the ABV at a reasonable level, you could certainly have many of these, but the beer just doesnt do that much for me. It will probably be my last.

11-30-2008 03:11:22 | More by TheDoorman
drpimento

Wisconsin

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Odd duck. Seems to vary a little in its characteristics. This time, I don't think I'm imagining it and don't know how it could be possible - but it seems to me like the "cream" qualities, i.e. the lactose, is spoiled. I pick up some sour milk aroma and flavor. Other than that part the flavor is spot on and ditto aroma. Body is creamy and is, for me, one of my favorite kinds of beer: milk/cream stout. So easy drinking. Don't pick up any alcohol in this at all, so it's a sneaky one. Carbonation is perfect. Head is tan, fine and medium size. Nice lace. I'd give it much better rating except for the sour thing. And, admittadly my sensory apparatus is defective, soooo... I leave it there.

02-11-2010 02:35:03 | More by drpimento
Stigs

12oz bottle, served in a DFH signature glass

A - pours about a finger worth of loose, bubbly and soapy dark khaki foam...falling and crackling slowly as it warms. the beer is quite dark, just a tinge of dark brown hue when held up to a bright light. spotty lacing throughout the drink.

S - adequate amounts of roasted malts, bitter chocolate, some fresh coffee...sweetness comes in as some vanilla, butterscotch. faint earthy hops round out at the end.

T - starts off a bit sweeter than the nose would indicate. bittering slightly watered down coffee kicks in after an initial kick of vanilla, lactose, brown sugar, cream. disappointingly kind of fades to nothing after the bitterness, just a slight bit of earthy hops.

M - drinks very thin, and carbonation is quite overdone and very distracting. adds an astringent prickly feel and not very pleasing (yet void?) aftertaste.

D - maybe i just dont enjoy this style very much, but this one just doesnt hold up very well for me. the flavors are there but fall off very quickly, succumbing to an unappealing mouthfeel. i was contemplating pouring this for a bit before i decided to suck it up...not an awful beer, just not for me.

03-05-2010 04:51:20 | More by Stigs
prdstmnky

Vermont

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a dark dark brown color, with 1 finger of creamy tan head, leaving some slight lacing. Not a whole lot in the smell, some hints of chocolate and roasted malts is about it. The taste is similar to the smell, but there is also some tartness to this stout - maybe some dark fruits? Not exactly what I was expecting, just cant get over the tartness of this sweet stout. This is my 2nd time giving this Bell's offering a chance, and I don't think I would seek it out again unfortunately (definitely prefer their other stouts)

10-25-2010 01:51:05 | More by prdstmnky
TheSupremeAJ

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

A- Smooth fluffy tan head. Dark stout appearance.

S- Sweet and boozey.

T- Very sweet, bitter, and creamy all at the same time.

M- Creamy and smooth

D- Easy drink, however it just doesn't taste good enough to earn a high drinkability rating.

Overall it has a very nice mouthfeel, however at this price point I expect it to be a lot more balanced.

02-27-2011 22:19:23 | More by TheSupremeAJ
rel

Hands: Bottle

Eyes: Pitch black with a very little tan head, no retention and decent lacing.

Nose: Lots of sweet malts, some roasted notes and vanilla.

Tongue: Little hops, lots of roasted malts, and a lingering sweetness accompanied by some coffee-like bitterness.

Mouth: Its quite creamy...maybe even double creamy. Appropriate carbonation.

Mind: A nice stout. Other than a slightly higher than normal creaminess out of a bottle, pretty standard, but well executed.

09-14-2011 03:31:54 | More by rel
phichifiji00

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Dark brown, subtle tan head, subtle lacing.

Smell: Chocolate, roasted malt, cream.

Taste: chocolate, malty, licorice.

Mouthfeel: full bodied, moderate carbonation, silky.

Overall: A tasty stout. well balanced. good drinkability.

01-09-2012 18:26:16 | More by phichifiji00
centurian62

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

I was very excited to try the Double Cream Stout from Bell's. That excitement, unfortunately, faded on my first sip. It pours nicely and looks great, but the first smell was a bit burnt to me and it didn't lend itself well to the taste. I found this one to be a bit more burnt and bitter than I would expect from a cream stout. I was truly disappointed in it. I had extra bottles left over from the sixer I bought so I offered some friends a try and got the same response from them. Unfortunately, this is not one of the beers that will be gracing my home any time soon.

02-28-2013 19:50:12 | More by centurian62
Bluesman2383

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

I received this in a bottle from a Mix a Six pack at my local retailer.

It appeared with a dark brown color with a 1/4 inch head on top. It smelled very nice with hints of half & half cream (hence the name), malt, roasted barley, and coffee.

The taste was what one would expect from a decent midline priced stout from a microbrewery. Not underwhelming, not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel was creamy, cool and not real gritty. I was expecting a little bit more of a creamy texture but just received a typical stout taste.

Overall for price point, this one is a bit high. I've had better and far worse. This one is middle of the road for me. I wouldn't buy a whole pack but if offered to me, I wouldn't turn it down.

12-25-2013 03:55:28 | More by Bluesman2383
mwilbur

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into pint glass.
A: Very dark brown. Little carbonation and almost no head.
S: Roast malt and subtle coffee and caramel notes. Fairly weak aroma.
T: Coffee, roast malts, and a hint of sweetness. There's also a bite that lingers thoughout. Not as robust a flavor as I was expecting, nor as smooth and sweet as is typical for a milk/cream stout.
M: Fairly smooth and light. Wish it was a little heavier.
D: Could have more than one, but I'd rather move onto a different milk/cream stout as there are several better representatives.
A decent brew, but not great.

02-17-2008 23:10:00 | More by mwilbur
kels

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%

Had this on-tap at Fries Cafe in Clifton during BeerFest 08.

Appearance: Pours dark to medium chocolate brown with a very short tan head. The head fades quickly, leaving light rings of sticky lacing behind.

Smell: Smells first and foremost of burned coffee beans - not toasty, but burned. It's followed by a strong sweet smell somewhat like whipped cream or cake icing with some vanilla.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very strong and direct burned coffee taste, like drinking black coffee that was scorched in the carafe after sitting on the hotplate too long. It is tempered only slightly by the sweet cream taste I was expecting from the scent - I wish it was a little stronger in the mix to balance out the burned note. The carbonation is good, adding lightness and maybe contributing to the distinct bright, almost tart flavor that this beer leaves as I swallow. I almost have to say something lemony, which seems not to make any sense in this style. I try another drink - same thing. It's very strange, adn my mouth puckers a little each time I swallow as it only hits me as it's going down.

Drinkability: moderate to low - too many competing strong tastes make it hard to get through very quickly.

10-05-2008 03:09:41 | More by kels
nhindian

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%

12oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.

A - Pours a pitch black with two-fingers of dark khaki head. Retention is decent, lasting for a few minutes. Lacing is fantastic as it leaves almost an entire curtain around the glass.

S - Smell is of slightly roasted malts, but not to the extent of other stouts out there. This seems a bit more balanced, carefully blending milk chocolate, espresso, and an edge of sweetness. Something smells a bit... off in the back-end of the nose but I can't place it...

T - Taste is a bit sweeter than many other stouts I've had and it lasts throughout the drink. Like in the nose, this beer doesn't lean too far toward too heavy in espresso or bittersweet chocolate, which is a nice compromise, but I feel it also leaves it in limbo. There's no defining taste here, but rather a mellow blend of malts. Some hop bitterness comes through in the finish.

M - Mouthfeel is creamy and silky smooth. Finish is long and, for a change, surprisingly sweet.

D - Drinkability is moderate. The flavors are nice and balanced, but as mentioned before, don't pop out at me. It's a solid drink, but nothing I would actively seek out again.

12-29-2010 06:37:24 | More by nhindian
gueuzedreg

Colorado

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pretty dark, pinky head with legs.

S- Kinda bland, not much going on here. Burnt toffee, caramels.

T- I was hoping for more of a creamy taste. Thin, and not much cream.

M- Thin. If you are a fan of Black Note, it appears that Expedition is carrying the load on that one.

O- I was really hoping for more with this beer considering that I like batch 1 750ml Black Note more than Batch 2 and the 12ozers.

11-02-2013 01:35:07 | More by gueuzedreg
falloutsnow

3.46/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From: Hyvee, Council Bluffs, IA
Date: Bottled 09/26/2012
Glass: New Belgium globe glass

I never thought I'd say "too much roasted malt" in a stout, but Bell's seems to have created a beer that pushes those elements to the limit I can tolerate. Perhaps it's the blend of malts used, too much black patent or black barley perhaps, but the acridness and ash that seem most prominent in the beer are not as appealing without some equally present sweetness, non-acrid roasted malt, and chocolate flavors to balance them out. One I would probably not seek out again.

Pours a 2cm head of dark tan foam, made up of small bubbles with above average retention, gradually fading to a thin ring around the glass' perimeter. Lacing is quite good, heavy foam sticks to all insides around the glass. The body of the beer is an opaque black color, with light bringing out only the slightest change in amber orange hues. Carbonation is not very active, a few struggling bubbles move upwards along the sides of the glass.

Aroma is of sharp, acrid roasted malts or black barley, with a bitter ester profile lingering in the background. I'm not detecting any coffee, and the only chocolate is burnt and somewhat ashen. There is not much apparent sweetness from malt contributions here. At times I'm reminded of the smell from a grocery store's imitation of an Oreo cookie - you know, the burnt chocolate with artificial sweetener-like aspect.

The overall flavor profile of the beer is heavy on the very roasted malts, such as black barley or highly roasted barley with its husks. While I enjoy roast and acrid quite a bit, there was something about the malt combination here that was not full enough for me, too heavy on char and ash and rather empty on the filling sweetness
Front of palate picks up raspberry-like fruit esters along with semi-sweet roasted-meets-base malt characters. Mid-palate has fairly intense charred malt flavor along with what comes across to me as extremely dense, sharp raspberries in equally sharp cacao nibs, and some black ash. That is to say, there is not much sweetness in the mid-palate. Back has dark cacao nibs, raspberry-like esters, and heavily charred (black) malts with moderate acridity; again, not much sweetness. Aftertaste is lingering char (black patent malt?), ash, roasted malt, mild roasted coffee bean, and cacao nibs.

Beer is medium-light in body, with medium-low carbonation. The resulting mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery, not particularly good for this style. Certainly smooth and creamy, but apparently at the expense of richness and fullness. Closes dry, with little residual stickiness across the palate.

04-12-2013 06:49:17 | More by falloutsnow
RaulMondesi

3.46/5  rDev -12.8%

Raul was lucky enough to acquire this random offering, so he'll do it like he does.

Like The Cheesecake Factory, you don't have to get dressed up to drink this thang. Throw on your $12 Tommy Polo from Tily's and call it a day. Simply aite, just aite. Raul is drinking it, and that's about it. No explosions, no oral fireworks...just aite down the line.

Peace!

05-04-2013 03:02:03 | More by RaulMondesi
HimerMan

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Served in a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock glass - as I am doing with all of my Bell's stouts (from a recent shipment). 12 oz bottle.

Minimal head, barely sticks to the glass. Not really much of a big smell - however, a sweet stout with low alcohol is clear from the smell and first sip.

Taste is good; but really not as stout-like as other - a little disapointing for what I was expecting.

Carbonation seems a bit high - alcohol is low, no question about it.

Very easy to drink, very smooth (the carbonation is short-lasting in the mouth) and flavor does linger a silky chocolate/cream.

Definitely worth a try, Top-notch brewery and easily drinkable.

Cheers.

05-02-2006 01:20:11 | More by HimerMan
wingman14

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours black with a dark tan head. Smell is sweet with some burnt characters, hints of chocolate and coffee. A moderately strong alcohol smell. Taste is similar, yet very weak for a stout. The taste was somewhat underwhelming. The aftertaste is subtle with the burnt flavor showing up most. The mouthfeel was not very smooth and had a good deal of carbonation. I really wanted to enjoy this beer, but didn't find much to rave about. A decent stout, worth checking out especially if you are a fan of bell's.

11-08-2006 05:04:28 | More by wingman14
kajerm

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours super-dark and opaque, with one-finger tan head with huge lacing-- looks like a foamy milkshake.

Bell's says there are something like ten billion different malts in here, but I smell two, and they smell like cream soda and coffee.

Opens up great, tastes just like it smells. There's one fault that really brings this beer down-- a coiny aftertaste that gets strong with each sip. I've heard this is a common issue in some Bell's beers; it's a shame.

It's still a solid brew, but it could be great.

03-29-2007 01:50:16 | More by kajerm
philberinghele

creamy pleasures await
the salivating husband
springtime chills will come

This beer started off promising but left a weird taste in my mouth. It is thick, creamy with a solid head but has a pretty unnecessary aftertaste. It starts out creamy only to end bitter. Overall, it still isn't that bad of a beer in small quantities but the aftertaste becomes more noticeable the more you get through your bottle.

04-04-2007 01:38:16 | More by philberinghele
Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.