Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Special Double Cream Stout Alström Bros

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A- This is an opaque black color and looks very solid. The head looks very creamy, is a cappuccino color and has moderate retention in my opinion....settles down to a thin layer a little quicker than I'd like. The lacing, while decent, is less fulfilling than I was expecting, but nothing to really complain about. Overall, a fine....perhaps slightly underwhelming looking stout, but that is not what makes the beer....onward....

S- There is a medley of fine aromas happening here...I find a milky quality about the aroma first off....to me it has a soft chocolate milk smell initially, followed by mild aromas of roasted coffee, cream, and dare I even say a hint of canned black olive?!....yes I did! The finish has some smooth bitterness happening....very mild and very inviting!

T- Oh this is a delightfully creamy tasting beer! This is chalk full of mild, yet robust flavors of bitter chocolate, mild roast coffee, sweet caramelized molasses/golden brown sugar, and toasty malted barley. The finish has a bitterness, but not of the hop variety, but rather just the right amount of burnt grain kernels...reminds me slightly of an oat stout in this regard. My only qualm is right after the swallow, there is the slightest bit of an alcohol spice, which takes away from the smoothness, but again, nothing to really get excited over.

M- I am willing to bet that this is one of the creamiest stouts in the world! Full mouthfeel, and I really enjoy the rich softness of the beer....almost like some heavy cream was added to this but I fully realize that this is dairy free....it's just that smooth! The carbonation is soft and stays in the background where it belongs....just wonderful!

O- This is a deadly stout that is very highly drinkable!! Oh boy, if this was available in my area, I would have a new go to for the style! Rich flavors & aromas, superbly smooth and full, without being overbearing on the palate or stomach, I give this one very high marks and highly recommend this one to anyone who appreciates a super high quality stout!

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

3.43/5  rDev -13.4%

I was very excited to try the Double Cream Stout from Bell's. That excitement, unfortunately, faded on my first sip. It pours nicely and looks great, but the first smell was a bit burnt to me and it didn't lend itself well to the taste. I found this one to be a bit more burnt and bitter than I would expect from a cream stout. I was truly disappointed in it. I had extra bottles left over from the sixer I bought so I offered some friends a try and got the same response from them. Unfortunately, this is not one of the beers that will be gracing my home any time soon.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.