1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Special Double Cream Stout Alström Bros

4.06/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Deep black with limited head and some lacing.

S - Roasted malts.

T - Semi-sweet, with roasted malts and a hint of vanilla. Very mild bitterness.

M - Smooth initially, but really falls apart. Double cream had me expecting a velvety texture, but instead you are left with a very thin body...almost watery.

O - It's tasty, though not as complicated as the bottle description would suggest. It's a very drinkable beer, but don't expect to be blown away.

2.31/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: Really dark brown to black, with a small amount of head. Looks thin on pouring. Pretty average appearance.

S: I struggled with this. Very muddled smell. For a beer that bills itself as a Double Cream Stout, I expected some kind of creamy, maybe semi-sweet, or vanilla aromas. This didn't give me any of that. It barely smelled like a stout to me, which was odd.

T: Like with the smell, I had a heck of a time getting anything related to "Cream," let alone "Double Cream" out of the taste. The hints of malt taste that are there at first got dominated by a strong sour aftertaste that lingered with every sip. Tried drinking a gulp of water in between sips -- maybe it was something I ate. But nope, it was the beer. I don't know if there was a lot there even without the sourness, but the sour taste really killed this for me. It dominated everything and, frankly, was sort of nasty.

M: Thin with medium carbonation. Again, very disappointing. I expected something at least moderately thick and creamy, but there was nothing substantial here at all.

O: I was hugely disappointed with this. It tasted, smelled and felt to me like a below-average stout with something wrong with it. I may check the batch number and see. I drank it a few days after I bought it, but maybe it was sitting on the shelf in the store for a while. I'll update my review when / if I can find out.

Update: Mine was bottled a little under 4 months ago (10/17/2012). Should be well within drinkable time, barring improper storage.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Serving: Bottle

Appearance: Very Dark, with minimal cream colored head. Very nice lacing.

Smell: Dark and Chocolatey

Taste: Very Smooth and dark. Chocolate and cream highlights.

Mouthfeel: Thick with a smooth finish. Definitely a stout but leaves your mouth with a clean feeling.

Overall: Definitely a great Stout. I would gladly try this again.

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Served from a 12 oz. Bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pitch black with a ¼ inch tan head. Leaves a moderate to high amount of lacing behind. Overall not a huge fan of the appearance. Could have had more lacing and quite a bit bigger head.

S - Sweet roasted malts with hints of vanilla, chocolate and perhaps some dried fruits.

T - Very sweet. Hints of the roasted malts come at first and is followed by a strong vanilla taste that stays with you.chocolate aftertaste.

M - Very smooth. Quite the easy drinker with the very mild amount of carbonation. Leaves behind a bit of a sticky after taste to the top of your mouth afterwards probably from the chocolate flavors.

O - Very impressed. I’m not a huge fan of stouts as I feel they tend to be very heavy on the roasted malts. This one gets it just right for me. Very glad I tried this.

Photo of
4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.