1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-30-2001)
Ratings: 2,718 | Reviews: 1,327 | Show All Ratings:

Taste 37/40
Feel 8/10
Drinkability 18/20

Overall 90/100

Very nice rich, yet sweet Stout... Smooth enough to session on. Also full enough to enjoy only one or two. Very creamy and balanced. Worth seeking out but won't blow you away~

01-18-2014 04:24:30 | More by BrewUSA
Emnmarko

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark as all hell. Small creamy head. Lacing remains after head quickly dissipates.

S- chocolate covered hop.

T- Dark roasted malts and chocolate first. Moderate bitter middle mixes nicely with the sweet and produces a rich complex and creamy flavor. Even more in the end with some creamy coffee and light smoke. Always creamy.

M- Double cream is no joke. Starts and ends smooth without being heavy. It's a double double.

O- This is one rich and creamy stout. It has great balance with the sweetness of the chocolate roasted malt and bitter hop back. Fits like peanut butter and jelly. Good job Bells.

01-14-2014 02:50:29 | More by Emnmarko
ChrisL24481

New Hampshire

4.16/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance - Half inch, light brown head. Dark brown, close to black.

Aroma - Great smells come off of this one; roasted coffee, milk chocolate, toasted bread, caramel, and brown sugar.

Taste - Milk chocolate and roasted coffee up front, followed by burnt toast in th end.

Mouthfeel - Medium to full bodied, smooth on the way down. Bitter on the finish. Modest carbonation.

Overall - A tasty stout, another solid offering from Bell's.

01-09-2014 17:11:46 | More by ChrisL24481
Jamey61

3.85/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into glass.

Appearance. Black with light cream head. Head disappeared quickly.

Smell. Smells like most stouts with nothing significant to seep rate it from the others.

Taste. This beer is good. Slightly bitter, strong stout taste without being offensive. Not really getting the cream taste or feel though. A bit more chalky than I expected. I drank one with a soupie. For those that don't know what a soupie is, it is a cured greasy meat I believe also know as sopresatta. Not sure if that is spelled right. They really complemented each other well so it would be worth trying with other cured meats or pepperoni.

Overall a little disappointed due to it being hyped to highly by someone I know with similar beer taste as me. Good but not great.

01-05-2014 17:33:44 | More by Jamey61
Hoagie1973

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours black with brown edges and a small brown cap of foam. Both aroma and flavor lack the roastiness of some other cream stouts I've had that don't claim to be "double".
Mouthfeel is also quite thin for what the label claims; lacks both creaminess and stoutness. Has more of a porter-like twang.
Still quite enjoyable. Nothing bad about this beer, just a bit thin and light for a double cream stout.

01-01-2014 23:33:54 | More by Hoagie1973
Bluesman2383

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

I received this in a bottle from a Mix a Six pack at my local retailer.

It appeared with a dark brown color with a 1/4 inch head on top. It smelled very nice with hints of half & half cream (hence the name), malt, roasted barley, and coffee.

The taste was what one would expect from a decent midline priced stout from a microbrewery. Not underwhelming, not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel was creamy, cool and not real gritty. I was expecting a little bit more of a creamy texture but just received a typical stout taste.

Overall for price point, this one is a bit high. I've had better and far worse. This one is middle of the road for me. I wouldn't buy a whole pack but if offered to me, I wouldn't turn it down.

12-25-2013 03:55:28 | More by Bluesman2383
Franziskaner

Missouri

4.04/5  rDev +1.8%

Jet black in color and I don't see any light getting through this brew. I see a wisp of light brown foam on the top of this beer. I smell rich dark malt,roasted barley, and black licorice. The mouthfeel is silky smooth and is a nice contrast to the bitterness from the roasted barley that fades into a light sweetness at the back of the palate.

12-21-2013 04:18:08 | More by Franziskaner
Chiefy770

4.19/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 fl. ounce bottle. Packed on October 16th, 2013. Poured into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: A rich dark brown body, nearly black, sits below a fluffy sand colored head. The body has an amber glow on the sides when it is exposed to light. The head collapses and leaves a great layer of froth throughout. Sticky lacing lingers around for much of the brew. Nearly a picture perfect example of the way this style should be presented.

Smell: Notes of chocolate and toasted malts really stand out. Very faint floral notes break through.

Taste: Toasted malts. Creamy and smooth chocolate. The hops kick in and give this a semi-dry finish. Very smooth medium, coming up a bit shy of a full body. The carbonation is just a pinch too much for my liking.

Overall: I am not disappointed by this brew. Great take on the style. I would like a little more from this one though. If this had the fullness of their Kalamazoo Stout then we would be in serious business here.

12-18-2013 23:25:43 | More by Chiefy770
JackMcAwesome

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass

Look: Poured directly down the middle of the glass produced a 2 finger, tan head. It shrank within a couple of minutes to a nice film covering the top. Lacing is pretty good. The brew itself is very dark. Little light passes through.

Smell: Cocoa notes are most prominent. There is also a bit of a walnut to it as well. The nose falls off quite a bit as the beer sits, never something I'm a fan of, but the upfront notes are pleasant enough for me to not dock it too much.

Taste: Cocoa and a bit of a roasted nuts flavor. There is a bunch of malty-goodness that will have me digging around the internet to find out what they used, but other than that, it's pretty simple, in a good way.

Feel: Medium bodied. I was expecting it to be a bit heavier because of the name "double cream", but alas, it's just medium to me. The alcohol is completely hidden, and it only offers a slight bit of warmth. Not something I usually look for in a stout, but it's not necessarily bad either.

Overall: A very good stout. I'm more of an "in your face" type guy when it comes to stouts, but this is a very pleasant, mild stout that I could have a good day grilling in the cool weather with. My first foray into Bell's isn't a bad one. I'll be checking out their other brews soon.

12-17-2013 21:28:58 | More by JackMcAwesome
usechopstix4soup

3.79/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured straight into pint glass, pours very dark caramel color with a thin head.

Smell isn't too obvious, subtle creamy note, reminds me of a marshmallowy scent. Also roasted malts. Besides that, pretty much a normal cream stout.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, it really is like gulping down a glass of whole milk. This feel tastes throughout until the very last moments before it goes down the hatch. Then it finishes with an alcoholic, roasted coffee bean taste.

Like the name suggests, this beer's main selling point is the creamy texture and mouthfeel that nicely contrasts with the roasted flavors that come from the malts. Not a bad beer.

12-12-2013 17:58:14 | More by usechopstix4soup
kemoarps

Missouri

3.91/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours like a deep cola, but with a lattes head: tan and creamy. Dissipates fairly quickly, but leaves a nice little dusting of bubbles.

This has a much more enticing aroma than I remembered. I'm getting strong dark charry notes: molasses and dark chocolate. Oily and creamy.

The taste follows along, bringing out cacao and espresso beans, before melting into that oily creamy goodness of sweeter chocolates and roastier coziness. The biggest thing holding this back for me is some overly mineral characteristic I'm getting.

Decent body, appropriate carbonation level, sticky/oily/smoothe. I like this beer, and it's perfect for a snowy night in the teens and twenties. Definitely worth picking up, but I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way.

12-09-2013 04:12:00 | More by kemoarps
jawlessbody

4.05/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a nonic glass.

Appearance: Looks exactly how a good stout should: pitch black with a 1.5 finger mocha colored head. The only problem is that the head dissipated very quickly.

Smell: Dark, roasted notes on the forefront, with sweeter more acidic notes to finish it off. Quite pleasant.

Taste: There's a definite acidic sweetness to this beer, with a darker roasted coffee flavor in the background. I'm also getting hints of tangy-ness. Not quite what I was expecting, but overall very good.

Mouthfeel: This was probably the most disappointing part of the beer. While it isn't exactly watery, it's not as thick as you would think from a name like "double cream". Pretty average mouthfeel; medium body with a cleanliness on the wash.

Overall: Definitely a good brew, and more complex than some other stouts that I have had. However, I was quite disappointed that I wasn't blown away by this beer, considering Bell's is one of my favorite breweries and makes my favorite IPA and my favorite wheat beer.

12-02-2013 02:40:28 | More by jawlessbody
dwren89

3.41/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pitch black and opaque with dark tan head that disappeared quickly

Aroma: chocolately, a little bittersweet, not a very potent aroma

Taste: bittersweet chocolate, slightly silky with a little lactose character, smooth finish

Mouthfeel: silky but not overly so, medium-full body, great balance

Overall: a good but not great milk stout. Bittersweet chocolate with a silky mouthfeel make for a good cold weather sipper

11-30-2013 22:43:50 | More by dwren89
Ivegotmule

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A Bell's Special Double Cream Stout. Poured relatively hard into my Stone Smoked Porter pint glass. Bottled 8/22/13 and denoted "a" which mean best within 3 months of that date. Strange for a stout as Expedition is a "c"o, or 12+ month shelf life. So this is being consumed on the very last day to still be within best but date. I paid 2.39 for a single at Stella Brew in Winston-Salem.

A 3.75. Looks like an American stout should, but the head was a tad light and vanished before I even got a picture.
S 3.25. Roasted malts, dark chocolate, and coffee. Nice, but nothing special.
T 3.75. Best part of the beer (which is most inportant). Coffee leads for me with layers of sophisticated malts. Roasty and chocolate aftertaste. I swear I am getting mint in my nose and roof of my mouth as I breathe out. (Don't know if that makes sense).
M. 3. Just too thin and the carbonation slightly off for me.

Overall. 3.5. In the grand picture, this is a really good beer. But an establishment that can put out Expedition, Black Note, Two Hearted, Hopslam (my #1 overall beer), the Oracle, and then a great second tier; java, Oberon, oarsman, etc. This beer just doesn't hold up to Bell's usual standards. IMO, obviously. They are still a top 5 brewery for me.

11-23-2013 04:05:13 | More by Ivegotmule
a0lbudman

Alabama

3.78/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-black with a tan head
S-heavy roasted malt smell with hint of chocolate
T-roasted malt with a black coffee aftertaste that hangs in there before fading
M-high carbonation with some creamy feeling
O- high black coffee taste with very little chocolate flavor to it. If you enjoy black coffee this would be a beer you would enjoy.

11-15-2013 02:27:44 | More by a0lbudman
rievelx6

4.11/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Poured in to a 12oz mug. Poured a black with a little of a dark brown tint.

S- Coffee, chocolate, dark roasted malts.

T- Taste match the smell of the beer with coffee, chocolate, dark roasted malt, with some bitterness at the end.

M- Good medium carbonation pretty good body with a good after taste.

O- Overall this is a pretty decent stout not overly creamy which is what I was expecting.

11-13-2013 01:25:31 | More by rievelx6
mdhobbs

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Nice head on the pour with a deep dark appearance. It has a great smell with hints of chocolate and coffee. The mouth feel is fantastic. Overall, this is a very nice stout that I'll try again without hesitation. It also paths the way to try other beers produce by Bell Brewery.

11-12-2013 22:46:03 | More by mdhobbs
offthelevel_bytheplumb

4.05/5  rDev +2%

Poured into my Leinenkugel's pint glass. Pours black with a two finger tan head that dissipates slowly into a cap and leaves good lacing. Dark and milk chocolate dominates the nose, and vanilla and roasty notes are detectable. Taste is roasty and sweet with mild bitterness rounding the whole thing up. Dark chocolate and vanilla aftertaste lingers a short while afterward. The name itself describes the mouthfeel very well, but it is possible to have a second one.

Overall: This is my dad's favorite beer, but I can not say that myself. With that said, this beer is excellent. An excellent choice for all stout lovers.

11-11-2013 23:12:06 | More by offthelevel_bytheplumb
yuenglingfan101

4.93/5  rDev +24.2%

Another solid beer from Bell's . Very dark and creamy. I love a creamy stout with average head and dark color. Too bad i couldn't find this in six pack at the place i work at (Gay's Hops-N-Schnapps, Auburn Indiana). This is a stout i could drink day after day after day as creamy and addicting the flavor is. so smooth

11-11-2013 16:25:03 | More by yuenglingfan101
DrewskiWhit

3.79/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This thing was all over the place for me. The aroma was excellent but unfortunately the taste did not follow the nose. The mouth feel was thin and not at all what I would expect from a stout and particularly a "cream" stout. This beer had some potential but honestly I was disappointed especially after smelling it.

11-10-2013 03:28:52 | More by DrewskiWhit
smptenor

4.11/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a great stout! my favorite stout is still the milk stout nitro by left hand brewing company but this is still very good. It is very smooth with a great Burnt coffee Finish. The smell is great, very Malty with vanilla and coffee and hints of chocolate. I like the texture but I love stouts. Stouts are my favorite type of beer and I feel that they should have a creamy texture. This beer could be a bit more creamy. It's a bit watery like Guinness but not too bad. I'm a stout man so I could easily session this beer but for someone who doesn't drink stouts this is not a session beer. I feel that I would drink this after a steak dinner or with a hamburger. Great stout better than the reviews on here had me thinking it would taste.

11-10-2013 01:41:19 | More by smptenor
tmm313

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Beautiful in the glass. Black with slight red hue. Poured a nice, creamy tan 1 finger head that dissipated down to a sticky ring around the glass. Good lacing.

Smell: Dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, dark fruits, roasted malts, faint biscuit breadiness with just a touch of booze.

Tatse: Roasted malts and bitter dark chocolate up front. A more milk chocolately flavor becomes present mid-palette along with some dark plum. Finish is a nice lightly creamed coffee and just a touch of piney hop bitterness. Lingers slightly.

Mouthfeel: Not overly creamy. Reminds a bit more of a Porter than a stout. Finish is dry with lingering bitterness.

Overall: This was pretty good. Nicely balanced and flavorful. I may buy from time to time.

11-07-2013 13:29:17 | More by tmm313
austin_page

South Carolina

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a short stem wine glass (this is all i had at the time)

Appearance- Very dark just the way I like it, looks like motor oil, a very very deep black hue and a tan-ish low retention head.

Smell- The smell is amazing, definitely shines the light on roasted malty characteristics, the smell is misleading to how it tastes though, this is definitely a unique stout.

Taste- Very smooth as it first glides onto your tongue, then an immediate, almost carbonated taste, I would compare this to the Steel Head stout or Fish Tale organic stouts, I noticed that it was named by the ingredients and not the taste, however, it saying "double cream", I expected it to be creamy like a milk stout, more creamy flavor would balance out the hoppy taste in this beer, its good but I feel like I'm drinking a Sierra Nevada stout.

Mouthfeel- Slightly carbonated and hoppy, coffee/ malty like after taste, best served really cold! Perfect beer for these cold nights.

11-06-2013 04:13:15 | More by austin_page
Stevedore

Wisconsin

3.93/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle which was bottled 10/15/2013, poured into a Bell's snifter today, 10/5/2013.

Review #278.

Pours a beautiful pitch black body, very opaque with a substantial tan head that retains extremely well, leaving thick lacing on the sides of the snifter. Looks quite well carbonated.

Smells delicious. Heavy roast malts reminding me of espresso, bitter dark chocolate and a bit of char, perhaps smokiness. Very hefty nose, very appealing.

Very roasty flavour profile. Coffee, dark chocolates, charred malts. Heavy on the char actually, may be a bit much that takes away from the drinkability of this beer. A fair bit of black coffee bitterness on the back end.. this goes away somewhat as it warms, becoming a bit more well-rounded.

Full bodied, creamy. Sticky. Outstanding mouthfeel aside from a bit too much bitterness and char on the back end.

Bittersweet, full-bodied stout. Interesting, not my favorite but definitely has a great mouthfeel. If it wasn't as bitter or charred up, this beer would do better in my estimation. Worth trying at least once.

11-05-2013 23:51:31 | More by Stevedore
gueuzedreg

Colorado

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pretty dark, pinky head with legs.

S- Kinda bland, not much going on here. Burnt toffee, caramels.

T- I was hoping for more of a creamy taste. Thin, and not much cream.

M- Thin. If you are a fan of Black Note, it appears that Expedition is carrying the load on that one.

O- I was really hoping for more with this beer considering that I like batch 1 750ml Black Note more than Batch 2 and the 12ozers.

11-02-2013 01:35:07 | More by gueuzedreg
Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.