Bell's Special Double Cream Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-30-2001

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Special Double Cream Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,462 | Reviews: 1,405
4.08/5  rDev +3%

This one poured dark as night with a dense creamy head of foam which built to about an inch and subsided to nothing but a creamy ring and light coating. Lacing was light and sticky.

Smell was smokey with roasted malts and a bit of smoke.

Taste was more smokey than anything but also had a lot of coffee and some chocolate with almost no alcohol.

Mouthfeel was very smooth and creamy. Moderately thick but very easy on the mouth. I can't get over how much I enjoy this one, every time I try it.

Drinkability is good and overall, I'd say it's about as drinkable as any milk/sweet stout I've had.

D

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

A - This is a jet black beer with a little brown head.

S - There is a lot of chocolate, vanilla, and dark fruit coming off this beer. Everything tends to be on the sweeter side. More milk chocolate than dark chocolate.

T - Initially I get hit with roasted malts followed up by sweet chocolate and vanilla. There is a tad hint of coffee but not much.

M - Medium/Heavy body. This feels like milk in your mouth and beckons me to eat it with ice cream. A bowl of vanilla and a pint of this make a great pair. I really enjoy one of these, but I can't see myself drinking more than 1 in a night. Its just a little too sweet for me.

3.19/5  rDev -19.4%

Pitch black with 2 fingers of thick tan creamy head. It dissipates quite slowly, leaving thick layers of lacing.

Rich roasted malts, coffee, some earthiness and a metallic smell (oxidation?)

Roasted malts and some burnt flavor. Not very robust.

Medium bodied, low carbonation, fairly creamy. Quite smooth.

I wouldn't make this a go-to stout

3.87/5  rDev -2.3%

appearance: 1 finger head that dissipates almost immediately. dark brown/black

Smell: for lack of better words, it kinda smells like a hot, sweet, malty fart. not very enjoyable at all.

Taste: the taste redeems the smell. burnt coffee taste with hints of bitter chocolate. a little powerful on the coffee but extremely enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: pretty good. not overpowering at all compared to the expedition stout due to its lower alcohol content (only! 6.1%)

Drinkability: also pretty good. would be tough to have more than 3 of these at one sitting, but would be an excellent dessert beer

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%

Served on tap, poured into a snifter.

When the server brought this to me there was easily two fingers worth of head on this beer. The head was a dark caramel color that stayed around for two minutes or so before subsiding. Then after the head subsided it left a prolific amount of lacing on the glass. For the pure aesthetics of appearance, this easily earned a five, just wow. It looks just like a stout should and the head was prevalent and pleasing to look at. The smell was faint, it was there but subtle. I was able to make out hints of vanilla and coffee notes. The taste was really something else. My first impression was that it was a bit watery, but as I continued to drink and as it continued to warm, Bell's Special Double Cream Stout became something truly wonderful. The cream was definitely present, but not overpowering, there was some roasted malts and I think I picked up hazelnut, not sure if that's in there but it had that impression on my tongue. The coffee notes and vanilla balanced so well together that it created a truly unique taste and mouthfeel, that I've at least never had before - it was like drinking a licorice yogurt. For real. The mouthfeel was thick enough and the balance of the ingredients created a yogurt like texture. This became more prevalent as it continued to warm, but I was enamored. I ordered another beer before I finished this one and I didn't want to stop drinking the Special Double Cream Stout! Pick this up, buy it on tap, whatever, just try this beer.

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured almost opaque black with one finger tan head. Nose of a good stout: malty, chocolatey, coffee. Taste is medium carbonation and sweet malt start, coffeelike bitterness at the back, bittersweet chocolate and smoke in the aftertaste. Leans toward the taste of an imperial stout. Medium heavy mouthfeel. Decent drinkability.

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Pours viscous black/dark brown, with a creamy, light brown head.

Aroma: Smooth, gentle roasted coffee, dark chocolate

Taste: Starts with the taste of sweet cream, balanced with some roasted bitter, finishing with a bit stronger bitter roast. Dark chocolate bitter lingers

Mouthfeel: Wet, sweet, very light carbonation. Very nice and smooth. Creamy.

Overall: Really great winter beer. Fantastic mouthfeel, nice, full-bodied and rich sweetness, all packed into fairly low ABV.

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

Had it at the world record Bell's tapping. Took notes in the kick ass notebook they gave us.

A - Deep dark brown with a slight mocha head that fades pretty fast.

S - Sweet creamy dark malt. Hints of toffee and caramel.

T - Almost the same as the smell but with some roasty goodness. Then the malty finish.

M - Medium body. Good feel.

D - Very drinkable. One tasty beer.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

It's beautiful, honestly, and it smells amazing just pouring from the bottle. A rich, espresso-like roastiness on the nose, though smokier on the palate. The mouthfeel is excellent, plush and silky. I think that's is the best part of this beer, though Walows thinks the taste is better. Dark, dark chocolate and not acidic in the least - and, you know, I agree with him. Well, ok, we'll split the difference. (And still, I can't get over this lovely mouthfeel; it feels GREAT on the palate.) This beer is seriously delicious and I want to keep drinking it but alas, my glass is empty.

Thanks, Urbancaver, for another great one, and thanks Walows for sharing it with me.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

a- Dark brown with a caremel like head to it that seemed to stay forever.

s- Smelled like straight coffee and chocolate. Almost like a mocha.

t- This beer had a little less taste than I would have liked. You can obviously taste the beer in the aftertaste, but while you are drinking it, it almost seems as if the beer tastes like water.

m- This beer has a pretty good mouthfeel to it. Not to highly carbonated and definately not to creamy.

o- Overall I think that this beer could definately use something else in the flavor. It is not that this beer is bad, but more like it is "lacking something".

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

The bottle says 6.1% ABV. I don't know why they wouldn't just call this ''Bell's special cream stout''.

Pours very very black. Big two and a half finger head. The light brown head dissipates rather quickly leaving a thin layer on top of a black ocean of goodness.

OK, here's the one thing that turns me off about this beer: it smells terrible. The odor is of wet flour or some god awful white bread dough.

Moving on...

Tastes great. Big roasted coffee flavor with subtle chocolate malts in the background. Smooth taste. Nice to drink when it's still fairly cold.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are very nice. The 6.1% alcohol is perfect for this brew, allowing you to fully enjoy the complex roasted and coffee malt flavors.

Now, if it only smelled better...

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

A- 12 oz brown bottle poured into a mug. The beer is black, with a 2 finger brown head which fades slowly. Not the greatest head retention or lacing, but better than most.

S- Pretty nondescript, some sweetness, caramel, and coffee/roasted notes. Not very strong of an aroma.

T- A roasted malt flavor predominates, with some chocolate and coffee notes. Some flavor of toffee and sweet cream is noticeable. All good flavors that go together well. No hop or alcohol detectable.

M- Thick and creamy as it should be. No carbonation except for the head. This is really the strongest point of the beer.

D- Something about this beer really works for me. I can't stop drinking it. I think it just goes down way too smooth. Too bad it's $10 for a sixer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark, translucent brown with a hefty crown of rich beige color. Aroma is mostly earthy malt tones, coffee, and vanilla.

The taste follows suit, with coffee becoming dominant. The malt balance is awesome; The sweetness and roasty bitterness compliment each other well, with the sweetness in front. Solid hop presence merges with the slight malt bitterness on the finish. The creamy, silky mouthfeel and great balance contribute to the high drinkability score.

4.82/5  rDev +21.7%

One of my favorite cream stouts that keeps me coming back over and over again.

A- Pours a solid black body with a dark cream colored head that stays around for ages.

S- The aroma is wonderful and complex. Dark roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, hazelnut, toasted aromas, and a bit of smokiness.

T- Wonderful chocolate and coffee notes up front, quickly followed by the toasted and roasted flavors described in the aroma.

M- Near perfect. Creamy like no other. Goes down with such ease.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

Served in a pint glass @ 58 degrees F.

Poured a nice rich, opaque black with tan lacing that quickly dissipated.

First sniff tells me this beer has a malt aroma that I don't find particularly appealing. There is something about the grains used - I am guessing special roast and some flaked barley? I can only descibe this as being like vegetal matter that has slightly turned - compost? It never does blow off with time.
I have had this beer many times and from differnt batches and I get this stinky smell everytime.

However, I do love the characteristic Bells vinous notes that always accompany their stouts - fruity, dark stone fruits: cherries, plums, prunes, currants. This is pleasantly balanced with a nice smooth roast profile. Not too sharp. A well balanced stout.

This beer tastes very similar to the aroma profile above. I can taste the vegetal thing interwoven with all of that nice fruit and chocolatey roast. The bitterness is subdued and well integrated. If that vegetal thing was gone this beer would display superb balance and finese for such a robust concoction.

The mouthfeel is rather thin for a beer of this size. I will keep drinking K-Zoo stout, Expedition, 7000 and quit complaining!

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Dark chocolate color, almost black. Pours with a nice brown colored head and diminishes immediately into slight brown film.

Smell - Rich, nutty aroma with a hint of smoke and molasses.

Taste - Nice smokey flavor with a touch of residual bitterness. Rich spicy flavor with wood-like notes.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth and creamy on the palate, even thicker as it goes down.

Overall - Extremely enjoyable and balanced cream stout. Not too overpowering, but rustic smoke flavor is apparent. Pleasant mouthfeel and texture. Great winter beer.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Poured into a pint glass. Head was 1 finger in height and mocha in color, and a good amount of lacing was left on the glass. Somewhat high in viscosity. A little less head and carbonation than I would like, but overall, not bad.

S: Sweet caramel and chocolate malts, roasted and toasted.

T: Typical stout tastes of the chocolate and caramel roasted malts. A little bit of coffee, and some hop bitterness, but more sweet.

M: I thought it was fairly creamy. I thought it had the viscous mouthfeel of certain imperials, but with a much sweeter taste.

D: Tasty and creamy, but filling. Mostly a dessert beer or one for sitting next to the fire on a cold day. Overall pleased. Not astounded, but happy.

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

poured from a bottle to a clear pint glass: forms a tan 1.5 finger head, which diminishes to a small ring of foam. Jet black body, no light getting through this one. small bubbles can be seen at the edge of the glass if you look hard.

smells a roasty malts to me. a touch of chocolate? yeah, maybe a bit of a sweet smell in there too.

mmmm.... a good milk stout is nice indeed. a nice job, as it's not overly sweet either. a good play of roast and bitterness to balance the sweet, so it's not a bottle of soda. some chocolate and maltiness in there add to the creamy taste of this guy.

a nice creamy mouthfeel, but not super thick. the carbonation level is nice for this style too, not overly carb'ed to the point it's tingling or stinging.

easy to drink and pleasant. if it wasn't hard for me to come by (ie, a trip out to PA to find it) i can see this being good for me and some friends before, during, and after dinner.

1.95/5  rDev -50.8%

A - Opaque black with a finger of tan head.

S - Prunes, chocolate and roast malt. No hint of a problem so far...

T - I have to have a bad bottle. There's no flavor whatsoever besides a strong tartness and bitterness. I'm guessing it's the lactic acid that took over the whole thing.

M - Super thin bodied, probably as a result of whatever ruined the bottle.

D - Poured it out.

Didn't expect vinegar. I'm pretty disappointed because I was looking forward to this one, and I can't get it in my hometown. Oh well.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

pours opaque, black color. minimal carbonation, little foamy head rises and falls fairly quickly. no lacing. this smells of heavy cream, roasted malt. this is a very creamy, sweet milk stout. balanced by abundant roasted malt, this medium-full bodied stout is very sessionable. great example of the style. odd, apparently theres no lactose in this-it tastes just like any milk stout should, i thought it was one of the best examples of the style i've tried-now i don't know what to think.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Pours a deep black, with a thin tan head that doesn't stick around. There is noticeable carbonation bubbling up from the bottom of the glass.

S - Malty smell, with notes of vanilla and chocolate.

T - Sweet, creamy taste, well balanced hop profile. Roasted coffee flavor lingers throughout the glass.

M - Goes down very smooth. Light carbonation which fits perfectly.

D - Very drinkable. I enjoyed this one quite a bit, and will certainly reach for it again when I get the opportunity.

3.44/5  rDev -13.1%

I received this in a bottle from a Mix a Six pack at my local retailer.

It appeared with a dark brown color with a 1/4 inch head on top. It smelled very nice with hints of half & half cream (hence the name), malt, roasted barley, and coffee.

The taste was what one would expect from a decent midline priced stout from a microbrewery. Not underwhelming, not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel was creamy, cool and not real gritty. I was expecting a little bit more of a creamy texture but just received a typical stout taste.

Overall for price point, this one is a bit high. I've had better and far worse. This one is middle of the road for me. I wouldn't buy a whole pack but if offered to me, I wouldn't turn it down.

Pretty enjoyable.. Drier than I usually like with a stout but one of the better cream stouts I've had.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into a very large mug from the bottle. I would just like to say I really enjoy the presentation of this beer. Nice label design on it.

a- Pours dark opaqe brown that shows virtually nothing even when held up to a light. Two fingers of creamy rich tan head.

s- Upfront roasted malts and coffee chocolate. Heavy suggestions of chocolate milk, toffee, rich caramel. A definite sweetness in the smell. Very robust and pleasing.

t- I actually have to admit I feel kind of stumped in trying to analyze this one. Certainly not in a bad way, though, and there's nothing hindering my taste at the moment. Hmm.. The immediate sensation is a really delightful chocolate toffe and dark heavy bread with hints at coffee with cream, prunes and raisins and caramel. A mild roast coffee bitterness with subtle hops in the finish. Perhaps a bit too weak all around, but the flavors present are excellent and rich.

m- Wow, this is what I noticed immediately, rather than the taste. It goes down so delightfully smooth and creamy, it's easy to just sit back and feel this go down and not think about anything. Carbonation is so subtle but this just feels incredibly wonderful. Works perfectly with the sweet richness in the taste.

d- This is definitely a heavy beer in the stomach, and a very strong dessert beer. Consume after some lighter offerings and don't be disappointed at all.

I wasn't entirely sure how this was going to turn out. I've tried so many milk stouts and was curious about Bell's "double" take on the style, being that they like to try doing thier own thing. I was definitely not disappointed by this, and if you come across it ever, I highly reccomend a try.

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a nice beer!

Pours nearly black and opaque, puts up a creamed-coffee head, and offers scents of sweetness, chocolate, and the fine dark malts that gave us this beer. Taste is really big. Roasty n' toasty, sweet, savory, and chocolately flavors really treat my tastebuds well.

Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, and YUM!!!

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.