Bell's Cherry Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Cherry StoutBell's Cherry Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

"A mysterious dance of tart Michigan cherries with the dark, roasted malts of a big and bold stout." and "Stout brewed with cherry juice."

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-09-2002)
3.75/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.93/5  rDev +11.6%

3.31/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.16/5  rDev -10.2%

3.31/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.52/5  rDev 0%

I knows it's a tart cherry stout, but all I can taste is infection. Way too tart.

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

3.1/5  rDev -11.9%

3.2/5  rDev -9.1%

3.46/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.24/5  rDev -8%

Look: 12 oz bottle poured into a "frosty mug". Dark brown with reddish highlights or tint. Very little head that doesn't stay long.

Smell: Slight chocolate or mocha with a sweet lingering scent of cherries. I currently have a cold but the sweet cherry smell is very evident not much else is.

Taste: As it hit my lips I could taste the tart cherry and it was also the first and most powerful flavor once on my pallet. Immediately after swallowing I got a very powerful flavor of chocolate then right back to the tart cherries. Not a great flow between flavors at all, more of a stop and go effect.

Feel: The feel of this beer is not that of a normal stout. It feels much more like an ale to me. A easy to sip lightweight feel.

Overall: it's not a bad beer if you are ready for tartness. The first sip of this beer took me by surprise arena was not enjoyable but a renderer that me pallet adjusted and it wasn't too bad. I was able to sip through it and enjoy it. Personally I wouldn't order it at a bar at full price and I wouldn't buy it but as a special at the bar and considering it is 7% it's not bad to have one and switch it up.

3.05/5  rDev -13.4%

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

From a single into a Bells snifter
A: dark brown/black, with a thin crown of khaki foam
S: faint cherries, a little chocolate; mainly some roasty astringency. All in all, not a lot on the nose.
T: roasted almost smokey malts right away, then comes some tart cherry which carries into the finish, which also features a little coffee, a little chocolate but probably not enough. Not much in the way of hoppy bitterness.
M: pretty smooth, even though the cherries are tart/sour.
Overall: I love the tart Michigan cherries that Bell's is using in this, so I really want to like this beer. However... You do get the tart cherry notes... but it just isn't integrated in a way that comes together for me. Maybe if there was more chocolate? I don't know...this is my least favorite of Bell's stouts.

Bell's Cherry Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.