Bell's Cherry Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Cherry StoutBell's Cherry Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

"A mysterious dance of tart Michigan cherries with the dark, roasted malts of a big and bold stout." and "Stout brewed with cherry juice."

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-09-2002)
Reviews by Azumel:
Azumel

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Very nice and thick, I brought a few of these back to Florida from Michigan. While Expedition is still my favorite from Bell's, who knew that I would enjoy a cherry stout. The head drops down quickly, the smell is, well, very cherry. Taste wise it's a bit like chocholate covered cherry coffee with a bit of alcohol in it, perhaps a perfect breakfast beer. I can't say I'd really want more than two of these at a time, it's still a good 'fruity' stout, so I enjoy it for what it is. Worth a try.

07-10-2009 01:02:50 | More by Azumel
oberon

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to AKSmoked Porter for this bottle,pours a oily looking black with no head or no carbonation looked like a oil slick no trace of head here at all.Nice aroma though of tart cherries and bitter chocolate,big tart cherry flavor hits right away with some baking spices notes, with a taste of earthiness in the finish.Felt like a oil slick in the mouth as well Iam not sure what that feels like but this is it,a little cloying in sweet/sour dept as well.Probably the worst offering I have had from Bells but it was nice to try.

05-10-2004 23:34:24 | More by oberon

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

03-19-2014 12:00:37 | More by tectactoe
brewdogmrb

4.18/5  rDev +18.4%

Into a pint glass -- It poured a thick and dark black with a little bit of red. The head was super attractive and also reddish, and it smelled great as soon as it poured. Out of a limited selection of Bell's beers, I chose a fruit beer. Here's why: Michigan is where sour cherries are from, Sour Cherries are one of my favorite fruits, I love a good stout , and Bell's stouts are amongst their most well regarded beers. This 12oz bottle did not disappoint. A big stout with the traditional roasted flavors, big amounts of coffee and chocolate, balanced and countered with the sourness from the cherries. Not too much sweetness, and seriously, it smells just great. Not a beer I would drink several of in a row, but it definitely lives up to its reputation and I can't wait to get into more of the Bell's.

05-09-2008 17:57:00 | More by brewdogmrb

06-03-2012 03:33:45 | More by Zakk
brownbeer

Missouri

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

Oily black pour without much head.

The aromas are a bit restrained and a little difficult to coax out. Reminds me of cookies with cherry on top, a hint of smoke and black olive.

The flavors are muddled between deeply roasted malt (light smoke&coffee) and tart cherries. For me, not the smoothest transition of flavors.

I've had this on-tap and other bottles and it has shown better in the past. In this price range it's hard for me to not pick up their old ale instead.

01-09-2010 00:01:44 | More by brownbeer
ArrogantDeadGuy

4.8/5  rDev +36%

A: This brew poured into a pint glass was pitch
black with an almost devil's food colored
head. The dense head was brown and deep red
throughout. Gorgeous.

S: The aromas were faint but after some drink-
ing the typical stout aromas came through...
malty with a little coffee and a bittnerness
provided by the cherries, I imagine.

T: Typical quality stout at inception and when
the beer makes it to the back of your tongue
it turns your face into a knot. The bittner
ness is intense. It is quite a feat in that
such a strong flavor is imparted with a
delay and that the flavor is so fleeting.
The bitterness is not lingering on the
pallet and is not so overpowering that it
eclipses the other roasted malt characters.

M/D: I drank three and the last sip was as
impressive as the first. The creamy and
smoothness of this beer was fantastic. I
was very happy to see a fruit and porter
marriment that didn't go sweet but rather
allowed the bitterness of Michigan
cherries to compliment a brew style that
is often at its best when there are bitter
notes and flavors.

08-02-2009 16:34:40 | More by ArrogantDeadGuy
weatherdog

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%

12oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass

Batch 9367

Poured a dark brown but with a distinct redder hue than a 'standard' stout. The head was also much darker and redder most other beers I've drank. it was bordering on cherry wood.

The aroma was of medium roasty coffee notes with just a little bit of tart cherry on the end.

A kind of astringent roasty flavor dominates most of the flavors but finishes with a distinct tart cherry taste. To me the fruit taste is just a little too tart and doesn't compliment the stout to its full potential. I think a little less roasty coffee flavors from the stout and a little smoother cherry taste and it would have been pulled off better.

The upfront astringency is hampering the mouthfeel a little bit, otherwise it drinks fine. Drinkability is a hair above average for a stout of the ABV.

01-19-2010 03:55:31 | More by weatherdog
GameOfBeers

3.24/5  rDev -8.2%

08-18-2014 18:08:13 | More by GameOfBeers
ricksrealm

01-18-2012 21:45:22 | More by ricksrealm
sgoodship

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

OK, I have feared this brew for a few weeks now and yet, here I am reviewing it. I was terrified that I would hate the cherry flavor and pour it. A terrible fate for any beer! So, it has been sitting there, taunting me. Every time I opened the refrigerator door, it made me ashamed. Am I a real beer drinker?? Well, I decided tonight that this was the day that I would dominate that little Cherry Stout. Here goes... Oh, and BTW, my friend Brian donated this one. Thanks buddy!

A: I didn't pour vigorously enough, so I didn't get to see the full spectacle. Small, attractive reddish brown head. Dissipated very quickly. Carbonation visible through the fine dusting on the surface. Thin ring and dusting remained throughout. Black liquid but definitely has a reddishness to it. A hint of red on the edges against the light but barely. This is a dark brew for sure. No lacing to speak of.

S: Nice malt. Roasty, slight smokiness. A little coffee, a little licorice and plenty of dark chocolate. Dark cherry is there obviously but isn't as pronounced as I was expecting it to be. I did catch a whiff of stronger cherry when I popped the cap.

T: Wow. Not expecting that. Got me either side of my jaw bone. A zing and tartness. Very interesting. Upon further exploration, the sweetness is right up front. It is cherry but it is very light and mixed with the carbonation. It hits you right in the palette of your mouth. Almost a sweet red wine-like tannin aftertaste. The zing even gives you a little tingling on the lips. After letting it warm up a bit, the cherry seemed to take on a more blackberry flavor. It retained it's tartness to the last. That was to be expected.

M: Very light for a stout. The carbonation and tanginess makes it feel even lighter. I like my stouts heavier and rounder in the mouth. After warming and letting the carbonation run it's course, the mouthfeel felt fuller, thicker and more rewarding.

D: I was happy to drink it but I am not sure that I could have had more than one in a sitting.

I am not a fan of cherry, so this was never going to be a big win for me. I did find this brew to be a very interesting experience. Bells makes a fine brew and although this one is not for me, I can still appreciate the art that went into it. For those wanting to try a fruit beer, I would recommend giving this a try.

12-09-2008 04:51:01 | More by sgoodship
SIRIUS2

4.22/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Deep dark brown to black in color. No head but a sparce line of bubbles barely formed a ring around my glass. No lacing.

S: Very malty, almost a light molasses or corn syrup on the nose with a trainling hint of tart cherry.

T: Interesting. Heavy malts are very much present but there is a tartness that I can only guess is from the cherries because there wasn't the bitterness that is normally present from hops. The malts tend to have hints of coffee and the finish tends to linger to the bitter side.

M&D: Very heavy mouthfeel from the malts. The carbonation is extremely light, to the point that it only exists as single points exploding on the tongue. Drinkability is very good but this is very heavy so I'm not sure how many I would put down in a sitting. Smooth. Nice.

02-20-2008 03:26:11 | More by SIRIUS2
skybluewater

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours a pitch black color, with nary a hint of cherry. Smells like fresh squeezed cherry juice (if there is such a thing). Taste isn't all that great. The cherry flavor's way too tart for me, and there's not enough of the stout backing to it.

Overall, this is not a great brew. I wouldn't buy again, and I'm glad I only had this one (rather expensive, at $2.50) bottle, instead of three more kicking around my cellar that I don't care to drink.

12-20-2004 04:53:46 | More by skybluewater
orbitalr0x

4.13/5  rDev +17%

I've been excited to try this..it's my first Bell's stout! Deep charcoal black pour with a nice two finger tan head with slight hints of red. No light is getting through this one....nice lacing as well. Sour maraschino cherry syrup drizzled with dark chocolate...intoxicating.

Tart, sour cherry melds with a nice roasted, toasty chocolate...a bit mouth puckering. The cherry takes the center stage and puts on a good show. Quite a nice marriage of fruit and stout. I like this one.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, however I actually think this could use a bit more body...a bit more thickness. Overall, it's just a damn tasty brew and one that I would be more than happy to have a few of. Kudos to Bell's and I look forward to trying more of their stouts.

01-15-2005 04:23:18 | More by orbitalr0x

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

03-14-2014 18:24:36 | More by DaftPatrick
warnerry

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

From notes. Bottle ca. 3 months old.

A - Pours pitch black with two finger brown head. Not much head retention.

S - Smell is tart/sourness with some cherry coming through. Some earthy malt, though this is pretty muted.

T - Massively tart for a non-sour, and non-infected beer. The tartness mostly covers up all the earthy richness I like from a stout. Interesting, but less sour cherry would bring some much needed balance. The cherry is nice, just a bit much. Some chocolate on the finish.

M - Medium mouthfeel with a bit of puckering.

O - One is enough with the intensity of tart cherry.

07-31-2011 03:07:49 | More by warnerry
DWolf

02-08-2014 18:01:20 | More by DWolf
marvin213

2.83/5  rDev -19.8%

It's black and looks like syrup. Though the head is surprisingly lacking, the little bit of fizz tinges red. It makes the top of this malt-monger look like a Cheerwine. Were there more head, I'd rate its looks higher; nevertheless, it appears as described on the bottle, and it looks basically like a cherry stout should.

Malty alcohol meanders through nasal passages as it brings with it a fruity (definitive cherry) vibe. Similar to aftertaste, it's like an aftersmell. I know it's a stout, and I know it's a beer, but I'd like some more cherries. They're definitely secondary to more traditional beer flavors, at least in the waft.

Cherry is more pronounced in the taste, but it's got a sourness unsensed in the smell. It's not sour like bad milk, but like I'd expect from the concentrate at the bottom of maraschino cherry containers. It also tastes concentrated because, like the smell, the cherry comes thru most in the aftertaste. With each sip, the beer's malty body is stomach-bound while the cherry juice pools in your oral cavity. It makes me squint and tend to grimace. I'm not totally convinced it'd go that well even with a cherry dessert.

The malty appeal at the forefront of each sip is enjoyable, but the lingering sour negatively balances things for me. I yearn for a more natural cherry feel. It's a strong body overly juiced [insert Jose Canseco joke here]. The peculiar mouthfeel leaves this one tough to finish.

07-11-2009 01:30:10 | More by marvin213
Beaver13

Colorado

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

12 oz bottle, batch 8731 (9/15/08). Pours a dark black with a creamy dark brown head that diminishes to a thin film that laces the glass.

The aroma is roasted chocolate malts and coffee with a little DMS. Cherries come out as it warms.

The flavor is a quick touch of roasted chocolate malts that is quickly overwhelmed by tart mouth-puckering cherries. As it warms the flavors blend a little better - more chocolate covered cherries. The mouthfeel is medium to full with creamy carbonation.

Overall, a bit one dimensional with the cherries in the flavor, but fun nonetheless.

01-07-2009 05:14:28 | More by Beaver13
babyhobbes

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

This beer pours with very little head even when pouring straight into the glass. There is only a super small ring of foam. The color is dark mahogany.

A deep sniff reveals malt and some cherry scent. There isn't the typical coffee or chocolate scent often associated with stouts.

The taste is strongly cherries. Tart cherries dominate the taste buds. There is some maltiness and a little flavor of alcohol as an endnote. Really the flavor is huge cherries. This is what I imagine a cherry cider would taste like!

The mouthfeel is kind of syrupy, although this isn't a sweet beer.

If you like a sour cherries this is the beer for you! However, this isn't the beer for me. This is certainly something to try if you wonder how beer could be overpoweringly fruity and not sweet.

01-12-2004 20:24:43 | More by babyhobbes
shapudding

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Very dark, thick pour with no head to speak of. Scents of cherry and maybe slightly of coffee, but nice and not too overpowering. Nice sour cherry taste that fades to coffee. Little bit of a toffee flavoring that lingers. Nice stout body, nice smooth mouthfeel, not too thick and just the right amount of carbination. After a few more sips the coffee flavor seems to become more pronounced. Those who do not like the sour beers may be get a thrill, but being a fan of stouts, sours, and well, anything slightly different... I find this quite nice. Not a session beer by far, but a nice one to throw in the mix every once in a while.

05-19-2004 00:51:13 | More by shapudding
Bell's Cherry Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.