Bell's Cherry Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Cherry StoutBell's Cherry Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

"A mysterious dance of tart Michigan cherries with the dark, roasted malts of a big and bold stout." and "Stout brewed with cherry juice."

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-09-2002)
Reviews by SportsandJorts:
3.1/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Appearance: deep brown almost black. opaque. almost no head when poured strongly, but some tan foam that fades at a slower pace

Smell: weak. way too weak for a stout. some sweet juicy smell. some roasted malts.

Taste: they cherry juice is very distinct and in a bad way. tastes way to much like a juice. some roasty malts come in behind. chocolate/espresso play smaller roles

Mouthfeel: overly sweet. but a decent feel

Overall: a poor showing from bell's. I expected a lot from this one especially after the year hiatus last year. but the strong juice taste takes away from what this beer could be.

3.35/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours seal brown with good opacity and a minimal cap of mocha foam. Aroma smells of molasses and toffee--no cherry to speak of.

The tartness of the cherry juice is definitely noticeable in the taste, however. There’s also an aggressive prickliness on the palate that I can’t place. It would have to be terribly poorly concealed alcohol for this ABV, yet it doesn’t taste quite like spicy hops either. Whatever it is, it’s definitely there, and it’s dominant. The malt flavor is mostly molasses with a bit of roast, but it’s not very pronounced. Some peat comes through in the finish once it’s warm enough. The body is a little thin for the style, but not aggregious, with a slick mouthfeel.

Overall, this is more of a novelty beer than anything. The cherry taste is contrived and achieves no synergy with the rest of the flavor profile. The harsh prickliness is offputting, and there’s just not enough else there to overcome its flaws. If you want cherry, find yourself some New Glarus or a good sour ale.

3.43/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to AKSmoked Porter for this bottle,pours a oily looking black with no head or no carbonation looked like a oil slick no trace of head here at all.Nice aroma though of tart cherries and bitter chocolate,big tart cherry flavor hits right away with some baking spices notes, with a taste of earthiness in the finish.Felt like a oil slick in the mouth as well Iam not sure what that feels like but this is it,a little cloying in sweet/sour dept as well.Probably the worst offering I have had from Bells but it was nice to try.

4.18/5  rDev +18.8%

Into a pint glass -- It poured a thick and dark black with a little bit of red. The head was super attractive and also reddish, and it smelled great as soon as it poured. Out of a limited selection of Bell's beers, I chose a fruit beer. Here's why: Michigan is where sour cherries are from, Sour Cherries are one of my favorite fruits, I love a good stout , and Bell's stouts are amongst their most well regarded beers. This 12oz bottle did not disappoint. A big stout with the traditional roasted flavors, big amounts of coffee and chocolate, balanced and countered with the sourness from the cherries. Not too much sweetness, and seriously, it smells just great. Not a beer I would drink several of in a row, but it definitely lives up to its reputation and I can't wait to get into more of the Bell's.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

3.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Oily black pour without much head.

The aromas are a bit restrained and a little difficult to coax out. Reminds me of cookies with cherry on top, a hint of smoke and black olive.

The flavors are muddled between deeply roasted malt (light smoke&coffee) and tart cherries. For me, not the smoothest transition of flavors.

I've had this on-tap and other bottles and it has shown better in the past. In this price range it's hard for me to not pick up their old ale instead.

4.8/5  rDev +36.4%

A: This brew poured into a pint glass was pitch
black with an almost devil's food colored
head. The dense head was brown and deep red
throughout. Gorgeous.

S: The aromas were faint but after some drink-
ing the typical stout aromas came through...
malty with a little coffee and a bittnerness
provided by the cherries, I imagine.

T: Typical quality stout at inception and when
the beer makes it to the back of your tongue
it turns your face into a knot. The bittner
ness is intense. It is quite a feat in that
such a strong flavor is imparted with a
delay and that the flavor is so fleeting.
The bitterness is not lingering on the
pallet and is not so overpowering that it
eclipses the other roasted malt characters.

M/D: I drank three and the last sip was as
impressive as the first. The creamy and
smoothness of this beer was fantastic. I
was very happy to see a fruit and porter
marriment that didn't go sweet but rather
allowed the bitterness of Michigan
cherries to compliment a brew style that
is often at its best when there are bitter
notes and flavors.

3.3/5  rDev -6.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass

Batch 9367

Poured a dark brown but with a distinct redder hue than a 'standard' stout. The head was also much darker and redder most other beers I've drank. it was bordering on cherry wood.

The aroma was of medium roasty coffee notes with just a little bit of tart cherry on the end.

A kind of astringent roasty flavor dominates most of the flavors but finishes with a distinct tart cherry taste. To me the fruit taste is just a little too tart and doesn't compliment the stout to its full potential. I think a little less roasty coffee flavors from the stout and a little smoother cherry taste and it would have been pulled off better.

The upfront astringency is hampering the mouthfeel a little bit, otherwise it drinks fine. Drinkability is a hair above average for a stout of the ABV.

3.24/5  rDev -8%

Look: 12 oz bottle poured into a "frosty mug". Dark brown with reddish highlights or tint. Very little head that doesn't stay long.

Smell: Slight chocolate or mocha with a sweet lingering scent of cherries. I currently have a cold but the sweet cherry smell is very evident not much else is.

Taste: As it hit my lips I could taste the tart cherry and it was also the first and most powerful flavor once on my pallet. Immediately after swallowing I got a very powerful flavor of chocolate then right back to the tart cherries. Not a great flow between flavors at all, more of a stop and go effect.

Feel: The feel of this beer is not that of a normal stout. It feels much more like an ale to me. A easy to sip lightweight feel.

Overall: it's not a bad beer if you are ready for tartness. The first sip of this beer took me by surprise arena was not enjoyable but a renderer that me pallet adjusted and it wasn't too bad. I was able to sip through it and enjoy it. Personally I wouldn't order it at a bar at full price and I wouldn't buy it but as a special at the bar and considering it is 7% it's not bad to have one and switch it up.

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

OK, I have feared this brew for a few weeks now and yet, here I am reviewing it. I was terrified that I would hate the cherry flavor and pour it. A terrible fate for any beer! So, it has been sitting there, taunting me. Every time I opened the refrigerator door, it made me ashamed. Am I a real beer drinker?? Well, I decided tonight that this was the day that I would dominate that little Cherry Stout. Here goes... Oh, and BTW, my friend Brian donated this one. Thanks buddy!

A: I didn't pour vigorously enough, so I didn't get to see the full spectacle. Small, attractive reddish brown head. Dissipated very quickly. Carbonation visible through the fine dusting on the surface. Thin ring and dusting remained throughout. Black liquid but definitely has a reddishness to it. A hint of red on the edges against the light but barely. This is a dark brew for sure. No lacing to speak of.

S: Nice malt. Roasty, slight smokiness. A little coffee, a little licorice and plenty of dark chocolate. Dark cherry is there obviously but isn't as pronounced as I was expecting it to be. I did catch a whiff of stronger cherry when I popped the cap.

T: Wow. Not expecting that. Got me either side of my jaw bone. A zing and tartness. Very interesting. Upon further exploration, the sweetness is right up front. It is cherry but it is very light and mixed with the carbonation. It hits you right in the palette of your mouth. Almost a sweet red wine-like tannin aftertaste. The zing even gives you a little tingling on the lips. After letting it warm up a bit, the cherry seemed to take on a more blackberry flavor. It retained it's tartness to the last. That was to be expected.

M: Very light for a stout. The carbonation and tanginess makes it feel even lighter. I like my stouts heavier and rounder in the mouth. After warming and letting the carbonation run it's course, the mouthfeel felt fuller, thicker and more rewarding.

D: I was happy to drink it but I am not sure that I could have had more than one in a sitting.

I am not a fan of cherry, so this was never going to be a big win for me. I did find this brew to be a very interesting experience. Bells makes a fine brew and although this one is not for me, I can still appreciate the art that went into it. For those wanting to try a fruit beer, I would recommend giving this a try.

4.22/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Deep dark brown to black in color. No head but a sparce line of bubbles barely formed a ring around my glass. No lacing.

S: Very malty, almost a light molasses or corn syrup on the nose with a trainling hint of tart cherry.

T: Interesting. Heavy malts are very much present but there is a tartness that I can only guess is from the cherries because there wasn't the bitterness that is normally present from hops. The malts tend to have hints of coffee and the finish tends to linger to the bitter side.

M&D: Very heavy mouthfeel from the malts. The carbonation is extremely light, to the point that it only exists as single points exploding on the tongue. Drinkability is very good but this is very heavy so I'm not sure how many I would put down in a sitting. Smooth. Nice.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

3.03/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a pitch black color, with nary a hint of cherry. Smells like fresh squeezed cherry juice (if there is such a thing). Taste isn't all that great. The cherry flavor's way too tart for me, and there's not enough of the stout backing to it.

Overall, this is not a great brew. I wouldn't buy again, and I'm glad I only had this one (rather expensive, at $2.50) bottle, instead of three more kicking around my cellar that I don't care to drink.

4.13/5  rDev +17.3%

I've been excited to try this..it's my first Bell's stout! Deep charcoal black pour with a nice two finger tan head with slight hints of red. No light is getting through this one....nice lacing as well. Sour maraschino cherry syrup drizzled with dark chocolate...intoxicating.

Tart, sour cherry melds with a nice roasted, toasty chocolate...a bit mouth puckering. The cherry takes the center stage and puts on a good show. Quite a nice marriage of fruit and stout. I like this one.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, however I actually think this could use a bit more body...a bit more thickness. Overall, it's just a damn tasty brew and one that I would be more than happy to have a few of. Kudos to Bell's and I look forward to trying more of their stouts.

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%

Bell's Cherry Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.