Bell's Cherry Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Cherry StoutBell's Cherry Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

"A mysterious dance of tart Michigan cherries with the dark, roasted malts of a big and bold stout." and "Stout brewed with cherry juice."

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-09-2002)

Ash, Apr 25, 2012

gashmoney, Oct 28, 2013

Nutwood, Jul 31, 2012

RWNewhouse, Jan 20, 2012
1.53/5  rDev -56.7%

The beer poured a nice black with ruby red highlights when held up to light and there are some noticeable particles floating throughout the beer. The beer produces a nice 1-finger head, also with some subtle hints of red. The head is not well retained, but does leave a bit of lacing.

The aroma is dominated by the cherries. Some faint hints of the roasted malts. I expected less cherry, more malted barley aroma.

The taste...drain pour. Way to much cherry. Excessive amounts of cherry. I was expecting a nice stout with a hint of cherry, but it was not a hint.

Medium body feel to the beer, defiantly light on the carbonation. Obviously the beer's drinkability suffers from the overwhelming cherry taste. This one was really disappointing for me as Bell's is one of my favorite breweries.

PhillyStyle, Feb 10, 2011
1.58/5  rDev -55.2%

12 oz. bottle

A: Dark black cherry color - no head and hardly carbonated.

S: Smells like wine and tart cherries.

T: Strong overpowering cherry with chocolate late in the finish. This tastes more like cheap wine than beer.

M/D: Pretty poor and not very drinkable

jt31914, Oct 08, 2009
1.6/5  rDev -54.7%

I really like Bells beer, this was the first time that I ever did not like one, I looked a little flat when I poured it, and the taste was bad, cherry and dark beers should go well together, and this one did not. I know I will never drink this one again.

Pignuts, May 31, 2008
1.65/5  rDev -53.3%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into a pint. Batch 8244.

A: Pours solid black with no visibility. 1ish finger of mocha head forms and makes a slow descent. Some decent lacing(from what I got through).

S: A weak cherry sweetness and cola mixture. Malts are a bit like cocoa powder but pretty weak.

T/M: Yack! The first second or so isn't terrible. Some plump fresh cherries like in the summertime with a bit of cocoa powder. Immediately rushing in is an extremely sweet cherry cough syrup taste. Three swigs and I'm done. Body is medium and very chalky.

D: Nope.

pwoods, Feb 06, 2008
1.68/5  rDev -52.4%

12 oz. bottle, batch 8730. Poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a very, very, dark rotten cherry red. Not a bad thing. A big one and a half inch tan head appears and retains well. The beer left next to no lace.

A: I get nice roasty malts, and just enormous amounts sweet, syrupy, cherry. Some earthiness from the hops come through, but it is hard to get by the huge cherry smell.

T: No thank you. I think this is just a mess. The combination of sweet and tart cherries just don't do it for me here. Way too sour. Way too sweet. Way too much cherry. Not pleasing at all.

M: Heavy body, good amount of carbonation. Just too syurpy.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is very low, due to the sweet, sour combination of the cherries. Overall, I really enjoy Bell's offerings, but this one, I'm afraid, will be a drain pour for me. Will not buy again. Skal.

Gtreid, Aug 07, 2009
1.69/5  rDev -52.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

While I usually enjoy beers from Bell's, I was very disappointed with the Cherry Stout. I like both cherries and stout, but the BCS was, in my opinion, difficult to drink, as each sip left a lingering bad aftertaste on the palate. In addition, it was hard to taste the cherry juice. The beer tasted "artificial"

Aprice34, Mar 08, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -50.4%

Pours pitch black. Black hole black. Absolutely no light penetration at all. Extremely little head. dissipates quickly and leaves no lace.
Very little smell at all. What there is, is roasted malt, toasted oak & smoke.
Taste is very sour cherry, almost acidic, malt with vinegar-like overtones.
Medium body, light effervescence.
I've enjoyed every other Bell's beer I've had but this was so bad, I gave it away to the bartender (who enjoyed it and confrimed that it was not skunked).

PorterLambic, Nov 04, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -50.4%

Apparently, someone likes this beer, but I cannot count myself among the crowd. This was one of the strangest and least appealing beers I have ever had.

Pours hazy cloudy black with an enormous purplish head. The smell is slight and roasted. But, Oh, the Flavor - the Flavor is overwhelmingly sour cherry, it simply blasts everything else away. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth, but that intense, overwhelming cherry flavor makes this beer nearly undrinkable

Seanibus, Apr 21, 2009

thegerm87, Mar 09, 2012

MatthewBair, Oct 02, 2012
1.78/5  rDev -49.6%

Long-time reader and first-time poster here, inspired to write my first review solely by my pure hatred for this beer.

I was inclined to buy it after enjoying a small-batch Two Brothers brew at their taphouse which was Northwind Imperial Stout brewed with Door County cherries, and reading somewhere that it was created using the same cherries as Bell's Cherry Stout. For a $15 6-pack from an otherwise impressive brewery, it was an absolute drain pour. (I actually gave the rest to friends I don't like, and mixed the remaining portion of mine with Northwind in an attempt to salvage the drink.)

I checked the batch number and it was definitely fresh, despite the overwhelming tartness and imbalance. The appearance in a tulip glass was at first rather pleasant, with some nice ruby color showing around the edges, a reasonable finger of head, and the aroma had noticeable if a bit understated notes of dried cherry. Then, tragedy at first taste.

There's a passing flash of toasty malt flavor initially, followed by a crescendo of abrasive tartness which even seemed to affect the mouthfeel of the beer (going from nearly chewy to thin and filmy). The astringent aftertaste of off-cherry juice mixes poorly with the slight bitter hop profile, and lingers unpleasantly until I wash it out with a more palatable stout. If you value your taste buds, leave this one on the shelf.

gigaknight, Jan 27, 2011
Bell's Cherry Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.