Bell's Cherry Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Cherry StoutBell's Cherry Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-09-2002

"A mysterious dance of tart Michigan cherries with the dark, roasted malts of a big and bold stout." and "Stout brewed with cherry juice."
Reviews: 979 | Hads: 2,341
1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

The Tart Cherry is just to overwhelming for my tastes, I could no even finish the bottle. I would have preferred a more subtle cherry. I'm sure there are those who will love this it's just not for me (199 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -56.5%

12 oz. bottle

A: Dark black cherry color - no head and hardly carbonated.

S: Smells like wine and tart cherries.

T: Strong overpowering cherry with chocolate late in the finish. This tastes more like cheap wine than beer.

M/D: Pretty poor and not very drinkable (265 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -54.8%

The beer poured a nice black with ruby red highlights when held up to light and there are some noticeable particles floating throughout the beer. The beer produces a nice 1-finger head, also with some subtle hints of red. The head is not well retained, but does leave a bit of lacing.

The aroma is dominated by the cherries. Some faint hints of the roasted malts. I expected less cherry, more malted barley aroma.

The taste...drain pour. Way to much cherry. Excessive amounts of cherry. I was expecting a nice stout with a hint of cherry, but it was not a hint.

Medium body feel to the beer, defiantly light on the carbonation. Obviously the beer's drinkability suffers from the overwhelming cherry taste. This one was really disappointing for me as Bell's is one of my favorite breweries. (792 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -52.2%

I really like Bells beer, this was the first time that I ever did not like one, I looked a little flat when I poured it, and the taste was bad, cherry and dark beers should go well together, and this one did not. I know I will never drink this one again. (254 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -51.7%

12 oz. bottle, batch 8730. Poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a very, very, dark rotten cherry red. Not a bad thing. A big one and a half inch tan head appears and retains well. The beer left next to no lace.

A: I get nice roasty malts, and just enormous amounts sweet, syrupy, cherry. Some earthiness from the hops come through, but it is hard to get by the huge cherry smell.

T: No thank you. I think this is just a mess. The combination of sweet and tart cherries just don't do it for me here. Way too sour. Way too sweet. Way too much cherry. Not pleasing at all.

M: Heavy body, good amount of carbonation. Just too syurpy.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is very low, due to the sweet, sour combination of the cherries. Overall, I really enjoy Bell's offerings, but this one, I'm afraid, will be a drain pour for me. Will not buy again. Skal. (854 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -50.8%

Worst beer I've ever had.

This is one of my favorite breweries and stout is my favorite beer but this looks liked dirty transmission fluid! It smells like someone already had drank it once and for the cost I could get a nice Russian Imperial.

****1st beer I've ever had to dump out before finishing! (301 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -50.6%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into a pint. Batch 8244.

A: Pours solid black with no visibility. 1ish finger of mocha head forms and makes a slow descent. Some decent lacing(from what I got through).

S: A weak cherry sweetness and cola mixture. Malts are a bit like cocoa powder but pretty weak.

T/M: Yack! The first second or so isn't terrible. Some plump fresh cherries like in the summertime with a bit of cocoa powder. Immediately rushing in is an extremely sweet cherry cough syrup taste. Three swigs and I'm done. Body is medium and very chalky.

D: Nope. (587 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -50.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

While I usually enjoy beers from Bell's, I was very disappointed with the Cherry Stout. I like both cherries and stout, but the BCS was, in my opinion, difficult to drink, as each sip left a lingering bad aftertaste on the palate. In addition, it was hard to taste the cherry juice. The beer tasted "artificial" (311 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -50%

Apparently, someone likes this beer, but I cannot count myself among the crowd. This was one of the strangest and least appealing beers I have ever had.

Pours hazy cloudy black with an enormous purplish head. The smell is slight and roasted. But, Oh, the Flavor - the Flavor is overwhelmingly sour cherry, it simply blasts everything else away. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth, but that intense, overwhelming cherry flavor makes this beer nearly undrinkable (457 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -49.7%

Pours pitch black. Black hole black. Absolutely no light penetration at all. Extremely little head. dissipates quickly and leaves no lace.
Very little smell at all. What there is, is roasted malt, toasted oak & smoke.
Taste is very sour cherry, almost acidic, malt with vinegar-like overtones.
Medium body, light effervescence.
I've enjoyed every other Bell's beer I've had but this was so bad, I gave it away to the bartender (who enjoyed it and confrimed that it was not skunked). (482 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -48.9%

Long-time reader and first-time poster here, inspired to write my first review solely by my pure hatred for this beer.

I was inclined to buy it after enjoying a small-batch Two Brothers brew at their taphouse which was Northwind Imperial Stout brewed with Door County cherries, and reading somewhere that it was created using the same cherries as Bell's Cherry Stout. For a $15 6-pack from an otherwise impressive brewery, it was an absolute drain pour. (I actually gave the rest to friends I don't like, and mixed the remaining portion of mine with Northwind in an attempt to salvage the drink.)

I checked the batch number and it was definitely fresh, despite the overwhelming tartness and imbalance. The appearance in a tulip glass was at first rather pleasant, with some nice ruby color showing around the edges, a reasonable finger of head, and the aroma had noticeable if a bit understated notes of dried cherry. Then, tragedy at first taste.

There's a passing flash of toasty malt flavor initially, followed by a crescendo of abrasive tartness which even seemed to affect the mouthfeel of the beer (going from nearly chewy to thin and filmy). The astringent aftertaste of off-cherry juice mixes poorly with the slight bitter hop profile, and lingers unpleasantly until I wash it out with a more palatable stout. If you value your taste buds, leave this one on the shelf. (1,380 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -46.9%

A: It pours a maple-syrup brown-black color with a nice tan head that quickly fades to a thin foamy ring with islands on the top of the beer. There is some lacing.

S: My first whiff is a metallic scent, like a rusty iron can. Unfortunately I get nothing else from the scent. I have to give it a 2.0 because it doesn't have any real smell other than metal, but it's not bad enough to call it awful.

T: The taste is very interesting...it's a bit hard to describe. When I first sip it tastes like it's going to be a normal stout, then this sour flavor pops out. It has a kind of sickly spoiled flavor to it. It kinda tastes like somebody mixed prison hooch with beer. It does have a prominent sweetness and sourness to it.

M: The mouthfeel is a bit syrupy and unpleasant. This beer is not easy to drink at all. It's a sipper, but it's rough going down as it leaves some awkward flavor in the aftertaste.

O: Overall I think a person could get some enjoyment out of the malt sweetness, but the fruit flavor has an alarmingly pungent flavor that is off-putting. Not really the same as what I get from Lambics, but just...off. I don't recommend the beer. (1,151 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -46.6%

Rec'd in a long-ago trade. Have high hopes for this, maybe the base is Expedition Stout, one of my favorite stouts, ever.

Smells weird & looks black. Tastes...terrible. First Bell's brew I've had that was just off. The cherry taste is rather sickening, not even rising to the pleasantry of cough syrup. The malt interacts with the cherry yuckily. Blech. Thankfully my wife is around to finish it, she likes it quite a bit. Away it goes. (438 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -46.3%

Got this in a BIF, been looking forward to trying it. 12oz into scotch glass.

A- Dark, minimal head but decent retention on a rusty brown body. Head is off-white and settles to 1/2 a finger quickly.

S- Cherries, coffee beans, a hint of smoke.

T- Ugh. The stout hits your first, and it's good. Then the cherries come in. They too are good, for a fleeting moment. Then the cherry juice makes its presence known and the tart, pungent, and gross tanginess kicks in. Almost like overripe/borderline rotting cherries. Really out of place.

M- Again, no. The tartness of the cherries combine with a slick, syrupy, cloyingly sweet mouthfeel that just weirds me out. Not really good at all.

D- Drain pour. And I *never* drainpour beers. Just not my cup-of-tea I guess. I like Bell's IPAs, this stout left a bad taste in my mouth. I cannot recommend this beer, too much of an acrid tangy fruity mess. (896 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -45.8%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Jet black with very thin tan head and almost no lacing.

Smell: Chocolate, cherry and sweet roasted malts. Subdued aroma overall; I certainly expected more cherry.

Taste: Very tart biting cherry with some chocolate roasted malts. Strange combination, and I find the tart cherry to be ridiculously overwhelming. Why are the cherry beers I try either way too tart (like this) or way too artificially sweet (like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat)? Where is a cherry beer with a happy middle ground?

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body, finish is very tart and leaves a lingering feel which I can't stand.

Drinkability: Hard for me to tell if this is well crafted or not, as I can't finish it. (759 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I can't believe Bell's put this out...... Maybe if this were going to be a sour stout, it might have been better, but this beer tastes unfinished. The sourness of the cherry juice overpowers the rest of the stout. I'm a huge sours fan, but this basically taste like a stout that was infected, and not in a good way. I can smell the cherries and the roast, but that doesn't come through in the taste. (403 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -44.4%

Maybe this isn't my cup of tea but the cherry tasted so artificial it made me gag. I am a huge stout lover but this was a bad representation of the style. (154 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -44.4%

Poured very dark, and a darker than usual head that was very thin. Initial smell was of Cherry Coke and sweet malts including molasses. Initial baker's cherry blast, very tart. That in itself is ok, but the rest of the flavors made this practically undrinkable. This is the second beer I've dumped in the last 10 years..the first being the Bell's Porter. Both of these are just kinda gross. Sorry (396 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -44.1%

A - Nice looking brown beer with a small khaki head that left some splotches and chunks on the side.

S - This beer smells pretty bad, like cherry cough syrup on top of malts mostly.

T - Wow, taste is horrible. A fruit beer is one you can generally give to non-beer drinkers and they will like it. Everyone hated this, medicinal-cough syrup like flavor accounts for the "cherry" in the Cherry Stout. The "stout" would be a mess of burnt malts. Whole thing is a disaster.

M - Creamy, medium bodied, lower carbonation.

O - Train-wreck of a beer. Must be better in bottles because that B rating is much too high. (613 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -43.5%

Thanks to gregis for getting me this from my want list
Pour is black with small tan head. Smell is soy sauce and tart unsweetened cherry juice. I was making chinese food for dinner so I brought out the Kikkoman to do a side by side smelling, and it was verified. Taste is unsweetened sour cherry mostly. Not getting a lot of roastiness, except for in a slight soy sauce way. Not pleasant, and I really wanted to like this as it was one of the first beers I put on my want list after joining the site. Absolutely could not finish it. (532 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -43.3%

With a nice ABV of 8.50%, the Cherry Stout is classified as being a nice winter offering and should you enjoy this style of beer I would imagine that this particular beer could serve as a nice session beer. The alcohol level of this beer is nicely muted by the complexity of the stout and the overwhelming cherry nature at work in the beer.

When poured, the stout reveals a very dark black complexity with almost no mixed hues at all. There is very little head on the pour and what is there is a thin layer of off-white foam. What is most interesting about this pour is the amount of carbonation that dances up and down the pint glass. For a stout, by visualization alone the beer seems to be remarkably over-carbonated. The mouthfeel will be the real test for this.

The smell does not bring out any sense of roasting or darkness for the stout, rather what is clearly noticed is the cherry. The smell of the cherries immediately seems to highlight a sort of fakeness to the cherry taste that is to come as it is almost too much to really take in. The smell has a bit of chocolate that mixes in with the tartness of the cherry smell.

The carbonation that was so apparent in the pour came through just as explosively in the mouthfeel as it did in the pour. Perhaps a bit strange to have such a highly carbonated stout, when tasted the carbonation highlights that this offering is a rather thin and smooth stout, as well.

Unfortunately what disappoints the most with this offering is the taste of the beer. The taste is sour and fake tasting and unfortunately there is not much that impresses with Bell's Cherry Stout. The cherry taste within the stout is reminiscent of a cough syrup fake cherry flavor and unfortunately because the cherry is so overpowering it takes away from anything else in the stout taste. Though there is a mild roasted nature to the stout, it is muted by the fact that the cherry nature of the beer is so overly highlighted in the taste. Had the cherry been a bit more subtle and a bit less sour, perhaps this offering could have panned out alright. (2,075 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -42.7%

Bell's is one of my favorite breweries, if not my favorite. Having said that, not all beers are to my liking from any one brewery. The dark appearance is wonderful, but the cherry taste seems to overpower the stout. Sweet and tangy. Sweet Stout lovers will like this one. I'll take the regular Bell's Stout thank you. (322 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Aged bottle; dated 9/18/2014 so it is 6 1/2 months old when I'm trying it. Served at cellar temps in a pint glass. Here we go...

Appearance: Poured a fairly thick brown with a slight red hue. There was initially no head but there is a small rim of brown foam on the edges. No sediment and the beer appears to be opaque.

Nose: Roasted malt acidity, sour cherries, cheap chocolate bars, slight vanilla from some oak (is this barrel aged or something???), no alcohols at all

Taste: sour cherries, thin mouthfeel, really dried out, the cherries are really overpowering, there is a little roasted character in there but I just can't get past the cherries. It's not like a good cherry either. Kind of a thin cough syrup like flavor. Good cherries=kriek; bad cherries=this beer (and Liney's Big Eddy Cherry Doppleschwartz for that matter). No alcohol presence at this age (don't know if they were there when this one was younger.

Overall: Fail, at least with some age on it. I really needed to try this one fresh to get the true flavor but I can guarantee you that it should not be aged. The mouthfeel dries out too fast and there isn't enough body to sustain it in the cellar. The cherries should have stayed on the trees or gone into some nice preserves or something. Keep your cherries out of my beer please. Skip this one in the future and pay the extra money for the Bell's Expedition Stout; totally worth it. (1,411 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -41.3%

I'll start off by saying that I was let down by this beer. I was hoping my experience would be better than the majority of the reviews here. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

A - Pours quite black with a reddish tint against the light.
S - Faint cherry aroma mixed with an ever so slight hint of malt.
So far so good... Here's where it goes downhill
T - Tart cherry flavor is overpowring and does not mix well with the roasted malt. Tastes of dark chocolate and bitter coffee linger on the palate.
M - This beer seems a bit thin for a "stout". Carbonation is definitely in there but hidden by the bite of the cherries.
D - This may fit the bill for some people but I am just trying to finish this bottle.

I really like a lot of the other Bell's beers and I will likely try this again just to make sure this wasn't a fluke of some sort. (842 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -39.3%

Served into a conical glass from a 12oz. brown long neck bottle with a crimped-on cap

Opaque,predominantly black hue with a hint of deep red/brown, very thin mocha brown head, no lace.

Light aromas - mostly roast and faint cherry notes

Limited cherry taste - not as much malt flavor as a typical stout - definite smokey finish.

Thin, weak mouthfeel - probably the thinnest stout I've ever had.

I was intrigued by this beer, but after the first bottle, it's a disappointment.

I am a big Bell's fan (love Two-Hearted), but the Cherry Stout is not what I was expecting or hoping for. (600 characters)

Bell's Cherry Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.