Bell's Cherry Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Cherry StoutBell's Cherry Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

"A mysterious dance of tart Michigan cherries with the dark, roasted malts of a big and bold stout." and "Stout brewed with cherry juice."

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-09-2002)
3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Dark brown, no head, no lacing.

Smell: bready, subtle cherry aroma.

Taste: sour cherries, malty, subtle tartness.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation, crisp.

Overall: A tasty cherry stout. The cerry is very prevalent in the taste, but subtle in the aroma. Drinkability is good.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a dark brown, almost black with red hues; not much head and lacing to speak of. Nice aromas, lots of roasted chocolate and malts. There's a hint of fresh cherries. Now once you start sipping, the cherries come to life. Very tart, almost sour at some points. It's a very interesting contrast between the roastiness and the cherries. Very unique. Mouthfeel is pretty good, light but smooth. Nice carbonation. Interesting beer. Props for keeping everything in balance.

I love cherries, and I'd say this is a okay use, but this isn't something I could drink alot of due to the tart sourness. It's not really something I'm used to identifying with a stout.

3.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

It pours a smooth, dark brown with hints of dark red when held up to light. It's a strangely pretty beer, with its tan head and a thin cap that sticks around for a short while. Leaves behind a thin, but nice lacing.

It smells strongly of toasty chocolates and malts, with a definite hint of its promised dark cherry as well.

The first taste is somewhat strange. The head is sharp, sweet coffee which fades rather quickly into a tart, distinct cherry flavor and a hint of chocolate. There's quite a lot of sweetness, but it's not syrupy--in fact it's very smooth, with a good deal of carbonation that never oversteps its bounds or blocks out any of the strong flavors.

It's not a very strong drink, which is a bit surprising, and the mouthfeel altogether is pretty light (the whole drink at large barely feels like any sort of typical stout), but it will fill you up nevertheless. It's one of the sweeter beers I've had, which I chalk up to the inclusion of cherries, especially since it's not a sugary or syrupy sweetness really at all, it takes more like natural, fruity sugars. While pleasant at first, by the end of the drink the heavy, sweet and tarty flavors start to wear. More than anything the drink makes me crave a creamier stout, but one could potentially chalk that up to my only mild enjoyment of cherries.

Still, overall it's very solid, though not a stout I think I'd return to except for on occasion. The cherries definitely shine through, but they never dominate the craft of the drink, though it might wear a bit thin by the end of the drink if you're not into cherries or tart flavors overall.

4.35/5  rDev +23.6%

This was my first beer of the New Year. And, as a bit of retrospective shoegazing, one of the first craft beers I ever tried. (Of course, at that point in my life I hadn’t developed the palate to fully appreciate it. Loved the Solsun at the time, though, so I was on the right path!) Certainly now I’ve reached a point in my life where I can enjoy the Bell’s Cherry Stout—although I’m still awaiting the stage where I’ll be able to afford a case of it.

This pours a creamy dark-cherry black with a healthy layer of cocoa colored foam. There’s a roasty dark chocolate aroma that’s braced by a slight, nuanced dark cherry note.
There’s a strong roasted malt flavor that would be welcome in any stout but what sets this apart is the added complexity that comes from the dark cherry. It’s understated but appreciated as it lends this beer a lot of character and depth. For a stout the beer isn’t heavy, and there’s some cherry tartness on the finish.

This beer isn’t a ‘cherry-bomb,’ it’s not a sweet, syrupy fruit beer, and (in my experience) it’s not going to be the ‘gateway’ kind of beer for non-beer drinkers. I had this at a party and was careful to share sips with others curious about it who were expecting something lighter, fruiter and sweeter by suggesting they smell it, think of dark cherries, and let it warm. This is a real treat of a brew and I’m glad I can enjoy it to the extent that I do.

3.7/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Dark, deep brown with a hint of ruby in the otherwise tan head.

S - Chocolate, a distinct cherry aroma, thick malts, some subdued alcohol. Not as roasty as I'd expect.

T - A bright cherry floats on top of roasty chocolate malts. The alcohol from the aroma is noticeably absent, to the betterment of the beer.

M - Very silky, and slick on the palate.

O - The cherry dominates the stout a bit much, and the stout component itself is rather unimpressive, but it's a unique and moderately tasty beer overall.

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Pours a dark brown with hints of red in the tan head.

S: Sweet roasted malts with faint tang of cherry acidity.

T: Quite sweet to start with chocolate and cherry notes with a slight tartness that fades to a roasted coffee note.

M: Slightly syrupy, but not terribly cloying.

O: An ok dessert beer, but the cherry flavor doesn't taste as if it's fully integrated with the base beer giving two flavors that just seem to lie on top of one another.

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

3.93/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours with a small head, dark brown in color. Aromas of darkly roasted barley, sour fruits, very slight alcohol.

Mouth puckering dark cherry juice flavor, mingled with toast and char from the roasted barley. Sour plums, prunes etc. Slight hop note at the end. Alcohol is hidden well. Smooth.

Mouthfeel is a bit puckering from the tannins. Cherry skin and barley husk come to mind, although the overall effect is nice. This beer drinks smoothly and I enjoyed it.

3.73/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

a-Nice black color with a dark brown head that dissipates fairly quickly.

s- Definitely smell the cherries in the nose of the beer with the dark malt in the background

t- The cherry flavor is out of balance in my opinion. I do get the chocolate notes at the end of the sip but it's all cherry to me. I like the tartness of the cherries but I was left wanting for more balance.

m- To me this was a little light for a stout, not terribly but a bit light nonetheless. Carbonation was light to medium and appropriate for a stout.

o- I like this beer but I think it'd be even better with a better balance of the cherries and other flavors.

I poured this beer into a pint glass, it has a nice black body with a little brown head that goes away quickly to a thin lace. The smell is of cherries and a hint of chocloate. The taste upfront is tart of the cherries, then the roasted malts come next and then at the end on the back of the tonuge is a hint of chocolate. The mouth feel is really good, rolls off the tongue nice. Overall this is a really good stoudt.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

Bell's Cherry Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.