Bell's Cherry Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Cherry StoutBell's Cherry Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-09-2002

"A mysterious dance of tart Michigan cherries with the dark, roasted malts of a big and bold stout." and "Stout brewed with cherry juice."
3.33/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks to goryshkewych for the opportunity to try this one
Bottle from batch #8339 poured into my tulip glass produced a fingers worth of tan head that turned into a ring of lace around the glass .the body was jet black in color

Aromas of cherries and chocolate along with roasted malts fill your head

Flavors of sour cherries dark chocolate and coffee

Mouthfeel is not as thick as I like for a stout

Drinkability is a hard one on this, it's an interesting combination of flavors not one I would have thought went well together but it worked for me. I sipped my way through the glass and enjoyed it .I wouldn't want one every night but once an a while would work I would label it a must try at least one to pass judgment on yourself

4.22/5  rDev +19.9%

Bottle code on back of 7777 indicating a bottling date of Jan 2, 2007. The smell has a bit of sourness to it and when you get into the taste its slightly roasty but has a sour cherry syrup presence there the entire time. I actually like that quite a bit. I didn't find it overpowering but a nice compliment.

3.83/5  rDev +8.8%

12-oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A = Very dark brown bordering on black, small dark brown that dissipates just a little too quickly and resolves to light lacing on surface, none on glass.

S = Strong tart fruit at first, obvious cherry smells but also apricot and honeysuckle, right beneath the fruit is a good roasted coffee, smoked charcoal and dark chocolate.

T = The fruity, cherry tartness is unmistakeable from the first sip, but past mid-palate it simply adds to the long, bitter finish. The main backbone to this is not the tart fruit, but good strong stout tastes of coffee (almost a chicory coffee), unsweetened dark chocolate, and smokey roasted grains.

M = Medium bodied, good mouthcoating, carbonation sting my tongue just a little too much.

D = This is an enjoyable beer but I cannot imagine drinking too many of them too often. Very tart and a little strong on the tongue. Definitely worth a try if you haven't had it though. To get the full flavor of the stout ()as opposed to just tart cherry) should not drink too cold.

3.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Part of NEPA BC split #13.

Pours a deep, black color wiht a nice two fingers of creamy looking dark coffee colored head. Head retention isn't all that good, though, as it recedes pretty quickly and leaves a decent lace but no stick.

Smells of coffee, roasted and a little bit of chocolate. Cherry is in there, slightly tart but pleasant.

Taste starts out with some bitters dark chocolate and roasted flavor, and then comes the cherry. Cherry flavor is more tart and acidic than the nose indicated. Through the finish there is more roasted malt, almost a little bit charcoalish actually. The roasted and tart cherry flavors really dominate. It's ok, but I don't love it.

Mouthfeel is not as full as I would have thought for an 8.5% beer. It's a solid medium body but it feels a little thin, if that's not too paradoxical for ya. It's on the dry side, too.

Not bad. I don't think this is something I'd drink with any regularity. It's a good beer, though, and if you are looking for a fruit flavored stout I would imagine this is one of the better ones you'd find.

3.8/5  rDev +8%

Poured a opaque black with a thin mocha colored head that left a thin ring with heavy lacing. Smelled of roasted coffee and a hint of chocolate but was overpowered by the tart cherry. Tasted mostly of tart sour cherries with a slight roasted taste that really comes out in the finish and aftertaste. Hard to describe this as a stout. The mouthfeel doesn't feel like a stout but it is still creamy and smooth. The drinkability is a little low because of the tartness of the cherries. Still a good offering from Bell's as expected.

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

Purchased a bottle at Rozzi's Wine House in Lakewood, OH.

A: Jet black color with a tan head that rings the glass. Opaque. Legs. A nice looking beer.

S: From other reviews I was expecting a very strong cherry aroma but I did not find the cherry character overwhelming or particularly strong. Thought it was a nice combo of bitter chocolate and cherry.

T: An interesting taste. The typical stout flavors of sweet malt and chocolate/coffee stand up well to the sour cherry flavor from the cherry juice. Sour and tart - not overpowering though.

MF: Full body lightened by the cherry juice. Tart and dry - somewhat astringent. low carbonation.

D,notes: I wouldn't call this drinkable - too tart for sessionability. That being said an interesting and unique take on a stout.

3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

appearance - Black color, not much head here.

smell - Chocolate and cherries are present.

taste - Lots of cherries here with roasted chocolate.

mouthfeel - Medium body.

drinkability - At first I was like ahhh this is good, then half way I was like...am I done yet? The cherry taste was too much for me.

1.93/5  rDev -45.2%

Thanks to gregis for getting me this from my want list
Pour is black with small tan head. Smell is soy sauce and tart unsweetened cherry juice. I was making chinese food for dinner so I brought out the Kikkoman to do a side by side smelling, and it was verified. Taste is unsweetened sour cherry mostly. Not getting a lot of roastiness, except for in a slight soy sauce way. Not pleasant, and I really wanted to like this as it was one of the first beers I put on my want list after joining the site. Absolutely could not finish it.

4.65/5  rDev +32.1%

A "fruit beer"? C'mon...

Pours an incredibly dark color with a brown head that minimizes to a bubbly ring quickly.

Aroma reminds of a chocolate-pudding pie topped with curled chocolate shavings. The cherry comes out big and beautiful, mingling with the chocolate, and alcohol provides a dessert-liqueur kind of vibe. If only the alcohol didn't jut out so obviously, this would rate incredibly high for aroma alone.

This is my third try of this stuff in the past 10 days or so, and every time I'm astounded at how rich, flavorful and just plain delicious it is. While some might flinch at the warming nip it provides, I love it. The alcohol accents and heightens the sweet chocolate and tart cherry flavors. There's also a bit of graham cracker and espresso hiding in the background, adding depth and further character. Finishes sour, sweet and sticky, like a chocolate/cherry cheesecake.

If there's something better than the wallop of dessert-y flavor, it's the texture. It's sticky and chewy in a candy-like way, but also incredibly smooth, with just the right amount of carbonation to keep it lively. Buttery. Milky. Not at all cloyingly thick as you might imagine. Mmm...

If a stout is brewed with cherry juice, does that necessarily qualify it more as a fruit beer than a stout? That's crazy. This is simply one kick-ass stout that happens to have some cherry accents. People look at the Style listed and their prejudices take over. Anyone who steers away from fruit beers on principle is going to miss out on a great beer.

3.35/5  rDev -4.8%

This stout is dark as night with a head that quickly fades. The aroma of subtle fruit and coffee, and a bit of alcohol and smoke come off this black liquid. There is a juicy tart cherry flavor that dominates the profile of chocolate and bitterness. The flavors could be more balanced, as my palate becomes a bit confused and the warm alcohol astringency is more than I care for in this flavor pairing.

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Finally, a beer with cherry's that doesn't overdo the theme.

Without the cherry, this would be just an average stout. There's not a whole lot of those warm flavors in this one. Hints of chocolate are evident, but mostly it's about how the cherry interacts with those flavors.

The tart cherries and cocoa flavors work well together, especially since they didn't overload the cherries, as many beers do.
Feel was nice, creamy and frothy. It comes off a little sweet, but is certainly worth trying.

4.38/5  rDev +24.4%

10/16/07 On Draft at the Comet:
-Pours a very dark brown in color. Has a nice half inch thick head that is mocha in color. Very nice looking beer. Smell is subtle chocolate covered cherries. Taste is much the same. I was told this came from a keg that was about a year old. The cherries were much more subdued than fresh. Full on flavor and mouthfeel. This is a great beer at a year old.

10/16/07 Bottle of 2003(no neck or back label)
-Pours a very dark brown with no head. Smell is cherries and some port. Very smooth and delicious. Hardly any oxidation that I could detect. This is a very good reminder on why we age some beers. This is the perfect example.

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a very dark brown almost black with a thin reddish brown head. The head had some lacing, but dissipated pretty quickly.

The smell had a hint of cherry and other fruit flavors, but it wasn't overpowering. It didn't really smell like a stout, but it was a pleasant smell.

The taste like the smell, isn't what you expect in a stout, but the cherry flavor is understated. It taste almost like a chocolate cherry.

Pretty solid mouth feel, thick and creamy.

I enjoyed this brew and would drink it again. I could enjoy maybe two at one session.

So I just decided to throw this at the top after drinking it, if you think of it as a stout then your gonna be dissapointed because the cherry masks some of the good stout qualities, but if you think of it as a cherry flavor and exploring how the chocolates help it, it is quite good

A- poured a dark black where a little thin brown head slowly formed and then quickly dissipated on top,

S- i mostly smell chocolate and cherries, the sweetness of the cherries masks any roasted and maltiness that might be hidden underneath.

T- i think its pretty solid, theres the sweetness of the cherries which is a little off because it masks the other parts of the stout that i usually find very enjoyable. next the chocolate and bitterness come in which taste good, and then the cherries come back at the end and linger on the tonguefor awhile. some said that the cherries are pretty undertone, however i think that the cherries might be a little too strong, it hurts the beginning but ends up being a good finish. the cherry is much more enjoyable to follow.

M- pretty thick, light carbonation, sticky on the tongue

D- not bad the cherry juice stickyness hurts it again but still solid

1.78/5  rDev -49.4%

Worst beer I've ever had.

This is one of my favorite breweries and stout is my favorite beer but this looks liked dirty transmission fluid! It smells like someone already had drank it once and for the cost I could get a nice Russian Imperial.

****1st beer I've ever had to dump out before finishing!

4.22/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Deep dark brown to black in color. No head but a sparce line of bubbles barely formed a ring around my glass. No lacing.

S: Very malty, almost a light molasses or corn syrup on the nose with a trainling hint of tart cherry.

T: Interesting. Heavy malts are very much present but there is a tartness that I can only guess is from the cherries because there wasn't the bitterness that is normally present from hops. The malts tend to have hints of coffee and the finish tends to linger to the bitter side.

M&D: Very heavy mouthfeel from the malts. The carbonation is extremely light, to the point that it only exists as single points exploding on the tongue. Drinkability is very good but this is very heavy so I'm not sure how many I would put down in a sitting. Smooth. Nice.

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

Bell's Cherry Stout pours an almost black color with a thin tan head that hints at pink. The aroma is very stout like, coffee seems most obvious but there is a hint of fruit too. There is quite a thick mouthfeel. The flavor has your typical coffee and chocolate like flavors, but there is definitely a tart cherry flavor too. I like it, but I couldn't drink much of it. Worth a try if you like fruit in your beer.

3.7/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz bottle purchased from the Wine Seller. Poured into a champagne glass (Only thing available).

A - Pitch black brew, made a minimal amount of head that didn't sit around too long. Lacing was spotted. It looks rather nice in the glass though, so I upped the points here.

S - Chocolate and cherries! Surprised?

T - Initially it's a nice smooth chocolate malty flavor, almost as quickly as you taste that, however, you are hit with a blast of sour cherry, then a bittering wash, and a dry finish. The sour cherry taste doesn't dominate the profile and it mellows out very quickly. Let this one hit room temp and it's amazing.

M - Slightly harsh on the palate, full body, low carbonation level, and a slight oily residue that carries a sour aftertaste.

D - I'm very glad I tried this, unlike many other cherry brews, this tastes real and natural. It really tastes like cherries, and not artificial cherry syrup. A must try I believe. Reco here.

2.73/5  rDev -22.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into an unlabeled tulip. Pure black with virtually no head to speak of and only the thinnest lace.

Nose is strong chocolate-covered cherries. Quite a bit of coffee as well.

The flavor is overpowering. Bittersweet chocolate and bitter roasted coffee accompanied by cherries. The combination of tart/sweet from the cherry absolutely does not mix well with the chocolate and coffee-flavored malts.

Oily, thick mouthfeel. Definitely full-bodied. It took me a good 45 minutes or so to actually finish this beer, and I only did because I eventually forced myself to... it was very tempting to dump it out. Awful aftertaste. I'm not against cherry-flavored beers, but I can safely say it doesn't work well in a stout. I definitely wouldn't recommend this one.

3.48/5  rDev -1.1%

Very tough beer to review (thanks to artusory for the trade). I'm going to have to really downgrade it in the "drinkability" category, but it delivers what it promises.

Pours black with a thin, thin tan head. I was hoping for some ruby highlights, but no such luck. There's mayube a hint of amber/red in the foam.

Smells like sour cherries and malt. Tastes ... like sour cherries and roasted malt, with maybe a hint of chocolate and coffee. The cherry flavoring is much stronger than I expected. In fact, it may be a little too strong, even though I typically like strong flavored beers.

Good, but you definitely have to be in the mood.

1.65/5  rDev -53.1%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into a pint. Batch 8244.

A: Pours solid black with no visibility. 1ish finger of mocha head forms and makes a slow descent. Some decent lacing(from what I got through).

S: A weak cherry sweetness and cola mixture. Malts are a bit like cocoa powder but pretty weak.

T/M: Yack! The first second or so isn't terrible. Some plump fresh cherries like in the summertime with a bit of cocoa powder. Immediately rushing in is an extremely sweet cherry cough syrup taste. Three swigs and I'm done. Body is medium and very chalky.

D: Nope.

4.4/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a pitch black with 1 finger of creamy tan head. Good retention and soft, full lacing. Smells of roasted malt, cherries, and some slight alcohol in the nose as it warms. Tart cherry taste up front followed by dark chocolate, bitter coffee, and a smoke finish. Medium in body, smooth and creamy, and with a nice blending medley of sour and bitter. A really good stout, especially around Valentines Day if you like chocolate covered cherries.

4.05/5  rDev +15.1%

Maybe my imagination, or maybe a trick of the light, or whatever, but as I pour this, I thought it was dark red. In the glass it is dark, near black, with light brown foam that receded fast.

Aroma is roasty, and if you told me there was a touch of smoked malt in there, I'd tell you I could taste it. Or maybe that was my imagination too. The roastiness gives most of the flavor, including a little chocolate, but there is some cherry in the dry finish.

The mouth feel is creamy up front, and wine like at the end. The juxtapositioning of these textures is unique in my experience.

In my mind, I was expecting a dessert beer, but this might go better with mild cheeses. The cherry in it is subtle, so you might miss it with a mouth full of sweets.

4.38/5  rDev +24.4%

Poured into a pint glass pours a motor oil black with a fluffy head that doesn't hang around long and leaves minimal lace on the glass. Smell is awesome with roasted malt and barley dancing in my nostrils simply great smell stuff. Taste is a bit sour from the cherries which is nicely balanced, the sourness is balanced with the roasted malt and barley that is in there, this is a very yummy beer and one I highly suggest, I detect no alcohol in this as well. Simply awesome stuff from a awesome brewery.

4.33/5  rDev +23%

A-Black with ruby highlights. Nice thick tan head that retains nicely.

S-Alcohol warmth with malty sweetness and of course the bite of tart cherries.

T-Full frontal of tart, sour cherries supported nicely with chocolate malt. A wonderful blend.

M-Rich and full with a lovely tart astringency.

D-An excellent full bodied chocolatey stout with the addition of tartness of sour cherries. Very nicely done.

Bell's Cherry Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.