Join our email list →

Bell's Batch 7000 - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Batch 7000Bell's Batch 7000

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 12.00% ABV

Beer added by: Wildman on 10-07-2005

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Portsmouth tulip. It poured thick and pitch black, with a moderate tan head to it. The head retreated to the edges of the glass, where it left a bit of lacing as I drank it.

The aroma has a rich, dark chocolate and dark fruit presence to it. I get a bit of a booze soaked, chocolate covered cherry flavor to it which I really like. Some molasses and vanilla come out of it as well. It gives off a little of a barrel aged character to it as well.

The taste starts off with some bitter-sweet, dark chocolate and roasty flavors. Midway I start to get a lot of the dark fruit, cherry like flavors to it. Again I get a bit of a very nice boozy, chocolate covered cherry flavor. A little cocoa comes through in the finish as well as a little barrel age character. Excellent flavors overall.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side with carbonation being low. Drinkability is very good, I loved the flavors. I'm not sure if it was aged on any oak or in a barrel, but I got a little of that type of flavor to it. Really liked the chocolate and the cherry flavors it seemed to have to it as well. Excellent beer overall.

4.29/5  rDev +0.5%

From 11/05/10 notes. Had at a small tasting thanks to ygtbsm9; thanks Brad.

a - Pours a dark brown color with one inch of tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sweet dark fruit, molasses, vanilla, licorice, roasted malts, and chocolate. Still very complex, I thought it smelled great.

t - Tastes of chocolate, dark fruits, bitter hops, and alcohol. Not quite as complex as the smell, but still very good.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and easy to drink. Great feel to it.

d - I thought this one has held up great. I thought the smell was outstanding and quite complex. Would love to drink again.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

What a tasting we just had! Brad (aka. ygtbsm94) pulled this out of his bag of brews to surprise us yet again!

A: Pours black as night, with a slight almond-colored head. I would need night vision goggles to detect any carbonation.

S: This smells uncannily like Dark Lord. That same chocolate cherry-cordial quality is evident as well as a slight hop bitterness. These qualities take over the nose and doesn't let it go.

T: Very sweet, but it melts into the mouth nicely. I really dig the mild salty aftertaste (ala. "Payday" bar), which has a quality very reminiscent of celery seed.

M: Milky texture, sweetness is there but remarkably well executed, and the mild bitterness adds to its charm.

D: I wish I could get this all the time. The finish on this one makes it (for me) a particularly memorable brew.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad!

A: Opaque. Black with a thick beige head that leaves a healthy amount of lacing.

S: Bountiful rich, roasted malt. Alcohol presence is very muted. Smells promising.

T: Fabulous! One of the best imperial stouts I have tasted. Age has worked wonders on this beer. Incredibly smooth with a subtle bitterness, this is a delicious brew to sip slowly.

M: Silky smooth with alcohol extremely well hidden. Again, the aging process has greatly enhanced this beer.

D: A really delicious brew. Highly recommended.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

A-pours a jet black color with a creamy dark tan colored creamy head.

S-the nose has lots of roasty malts, notes of wood, hints of alcohol, dark chocolate, residual sugars and dark plums and hints of black cherries.

T-lots of roasty malts up front, light notes of wood, loads of sweetness in the back. this has dark chocolate and some rum cake like flavors behind the roasted malts, the wood presence is faint, the sweetness is fairly assertive with dark plums and black cherries.

M-full bodied, thick and syrupy, somewhat sticky in the back, strong carbonation to balance the huge chewy body, creamy with hints of a dry finish.

D-this is balanced very well, lots of sweetness but not overly sweet at all. if this was barrel aged the wood presence is light, the booze is still there with notes of heat, tasty stuff and holding up extremely well!

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

found in my parents basement in an assorted 6-pk of miller high life and corona

A: thick midnight pour that holds a thin ring of foam with little lacing.

S: lots of warm chocolate/licorice fumes astound the senses.

T: EPIC. subtleness of all flavors makes this aged batch play a symphony for your senses.

MF/D: simply dissolves in your mouth, very little lingering heat. sadly i only was able to find a single bottle. best tout i have EVER tasted.

3.87/5  rDev -9.4%

12 oz bottle split and poured into a taster glass. Batch 7000 (naturally). Packaged Sept. 13, 2005!

Thanks Bill (blackearth)! This was an awesome beer to try!

A - Batch 7k pours completely black with almost no head. Very viscous and syrup-like.

S - Lots of molasses and licorice with warm barrel wood and a warming alcohol nose. Cocoa and chocolate also come out but are secondary.

T - It's rich like molasses in texture and flavor. Syrupy with chocolate and roasted biscuit. No hops.

M - Super rich, viscous - thick and warm on the finish. I like a thick stout but this may be a little bit too much.

D - Splitting the bottle was awesome cause a full 12 oz bottle would be overkill for one person. It held up very well though! Nice and smooth.

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Another epic beer pulled from the deepest depth of the cellar by blackearth. Thanks Bill.

Poured from a bottle poured into my glass.

A: pitch black with chocolate brown edges, No head no lace

S: super sweet chocolate syrup, hints of black coffee and molasses,

T: very similar to the nose, Super sweet and thick chocolate, coffee, molasses with a hint of soy sauce.

M: thick hershey's syrup like body, zero carbonation

D: overall I'm very happy I got to try this one. Although I'm glad it wasn't an entire bottle. I would have had serious trouble finishing it.

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

TICKING LIKE IT'S 999! Review #999 that is. Big thanks to ArthurPendragon for sharing a 12oz bottle of this rarity.

Pours just about black in color with a small tan head.

The aroma is roast, chocolate, perfume (crazily), and even a little soy sauce.

Flavor also has the soy, which reminds me of SA Triple Bock, although that's a bit unfair I guess. Roast, chocolate, caramel, and coffee also.

Full-bodied with low carbonation and a fairly slick mouthfeel.

Good stuff overall. Seems to have aged decently well.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a snifter.

Pours little head. Color is a dark carmel brown, not as dark as I was expecting.

Aroma: rich and malty. Chocolate, raisins, molasses, plums, and some booze in a good way.

Taste: Very rich and sweet. Cherries, raisins, dark fruits, booze, and chocolate. I get some roasted flavors as well.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Medium to full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry and malty.

Overall, this was a solid stout. Fairly easy drinking. Roasted and dry with some nice flavors. Very happy with this one,

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Just did a side by side with 7000 and 9000. I feel like 7000 is the same beer, just with some age on it. Both were really hot still, and could easily be cellared for another few years. Reviewed from my Bells Tasting Notes.

It pops with a good sound of carbonation, which makes me happy. It pours really dark and still has visible signs of crisp carbonation. It is an oily brew that leaves a leg on the glass that is worth noting.

The smell is of heat, dark fruits, candied sugar, woody bark.

The taste is still hot with a strong indication that its been aging well. It has that great dark sweet fruit flavor that comes with age, and its noticeable that it is just maturing like a champ. Some malt and candy sugars with the heat make it a simple brew. Not very complex, but then again this really isn't an imperial stout, more of a strong ale. This actually reminds me a bit of Old Viscosity in the terms of taste profile.

The mouthfeel is still hot and the crisp carbonation is a bit much. Oily and sweet, this thing is a unique brew. Since it has some time left on it, maybe three or four years from now its going to be awesome. Still in its awkward 'teenager' years though.
J

4.44/5  rDev +4%

poured with a tan head and a little lace; head dint last too long. opaque black brown. not a huge aroma tho, some chocolate, hints of anise, flavor is waY more bold than the aroma. HUGE bitter roasty dark fruit hoppy barley wine characteristics; fine carbonation thick silky body.boozy. lots of flavor but still balanced. not a session beer tho at all

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Was able to try a good portion of this at DLD 2009. Finally getting around to inputting some notes.

Poured a very thick black with a good-sized mocha head and some nice residual head as it makes its way down. The smell is of plenty of rich dark chocolate, bits of coffee, roasted malt, and a few dark fruits. The taste is quite similar, with some darker sugars coming into play as well. Mouthfeel is very thick, and the years of aging have introduced a few nice port-like flavors and taken away some of the heat. Nice drinkability. Thanks to jerk44, who I believe is the one who poured this for me.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Review from notes on 1/30/10. Thanks to Jeff for this rare treat!

A - poured black with maroon highlights, rich tan head. 4.0

S - Touch of bourbon, chocolate, and expresso. Sweet. 4.5

T - Like the aroma, but has a much more pronounced roastiness to it. Almost like a bit of coffee. 4.5

M - Thick, rich, and well carbonated. 4.0

D - Very. Too good. 4.5

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Bottle from Styles- Thank you very much sir! This is some black shznit! Blacker than the ace of spades with a nice tim horton's iced cap froth. The aroma is a blast of authority. Lots of anise and dark ritter sport chocolate, black coffee with some tobacco and freshly laid tar. Tastes like I threw dark chocolate, tobacco, charred malts, coffee beans, dark rum, and molasses all in a blender, and am now drinking it. Word to yo' momma. Long dry bitter coffee/chocolate-esqueness. Very full and heavy. Feels more like 20% ABV. I'll talk it any day! Word, thanks Chris!

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

One I have always wanted to try, matta pulled it out of his crazy ass cellar to share.

A: Pours very bold, very thick, and very black. Nice thick tall two finger mocha head, good retention with solid chunks of lace.

S: Wonderful aromas. Lots of rich roasted malt, dark fruit, bakers chocolate, and smokey char.

T: Yumba. So deep and rich. Tons of roast with dashes of char. Light smoke and tons of bitter chocolate. Hints of sweet caramel and dark fruit to add a bit of sweet balance. Well crafted, well aged, well crafted beer!

M: On the fuller side of body, rich, smooth, good.

D: Just wish I had a few in my cellar.

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%

I've received some of these over the years from great BA's.. yet I can't find my trading notebook tonight to give props to these great BA's. I will rectify this situation soon.

Pulled this out of the cellar as soon as I saw buckeyeboy brought a 9000 to the weekend cellar clearing tasting.. badass and sampled side by side.

short lasting dark tan head came up as a reverse cascade .. but descent lacing and no real cap.

very rich dark chocolate.. bunches of deep dark fruits.. mild coffee.. some nice enveloping sweetness that holds the nose together very well.

dark grain bitterness is a bit high out of the gate.. pretty burnt really.. the malt sweetness pulls some chocolate out ... cocoa and rich coffee mid palate is multiplied by the growing maltiness.. finishes fairly quickly and astringent for my palate.. Very complex with significant warmth.. not overwhelming sweetness.. instead a well place maltiness that is tying things together.

I don't know how much longer this brew is going to stay this good, but it is certainly peaking for me.

Thanks again to the homies that sent these my way.. I am glad I got to try this again and next to the 9000.

3.5/4.5/5/4.5/4

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

I lucked out in going to Merchant's in Dearborn right when they released a few bottles of this that been stashed for a few years.

Poured into a large snifter, this is dark black with some creamy white lacing.

Smell is intensely sweet with loads of molasses, raisins, and dark sweet fruit.

Taste is very mellow and deceptive; it is not as intensely sweet as the smell. Finishes on the bitter end with coffee and dark chocolate flavors and a slight alcoholic twang, but has awesome drinkability for the high-end ABV.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Reviewed on 10/11/09.

A: pours thick, very little head, no light on edges
S: mostly warm alcohol, a little bit of roasted coffee at the end, also a little plum, very subtle
T: intense roasty coffee and chocolate all throughout, warm alcohol to back it up
M: thick, strong, but not crazy

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Wow, decided to crack this beer on a sleepless snowy winter night. Excited to try this, thanks a lot for this one Brady, I'll get you back...I promise.

A: Poured this one into my Uptown Tattoo Surly pint glass. A body as black as my necrotic liver 20 years from now? The head looks like luscious caramel foam that cascades with the soundtrack of boiling water. Looks the part.

S: I drank a 110k from CCB earlier today and remember being overwhelmed with roasted malts. This beer has a good amount of roasted malt in it, but there is a layer of sweetness that is nudging me to drink it. The hops in this beer have faded and what's left is fantastic: Dark fruits, bittersweet chocolate, and licorice.

T: Lovely. Up front there is bittersweet chocolate/cocoa that gets hit with dark fruits + raisins before a coffee-like bitterness sets in. The finish of this beer is a tad astringent and is where the alcohol becomes evident. In this case I welcome the alcohol, it has an analgesic effect on the tongue without a lot of heat on the throat. The sweetness of this beer really saturates the tongue, but the finish is dry and leaves one craving more. Maybe I should try Expedition stout again, this beer makes me think Bell's knows their stouts.

M: A fabulous thick and creamy beer that has just the right amount of carbonation.

D: Perhaps part of it could have been my expectations before drinking this beer? Either way this was an excellent beer that I don't remember having years ago when it was released. It's a beautiful beer that is big and still bold with several years on it. The high ABV is a small price to pay for this one.

If Batch 9,000 is anything like this I will seek it!

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to the awesome Andy at Whole Foods St.Louis for the hook up on this one.

Appearance-Awww, I am peeing my pants right now just looking at it. Black as night with a very dark tan head. Lacing is very nice indeed.

On the nose, very dark chocolate and blueberries and blackberries. I did get a whiff of smoke as well. I could just sit and smell this baby for an hour!

The taste after almost five years is still really creamy, definitely reminds me of a fine Ruby Port. A little raspberry, burnt toast, a touch of chocolate, and there it is, the smoke on the finish. Nice dark roasted malt. Even after five years I still feel the 12% abv.

Oh, the mouthfeel. It has some serious weight to it. I don't think that I could drink another one if you put it in front of me. I disagree with other posts that it is lacking in the mouthfeel dept.

Drinkability-If you dig rich stouts, this is almost the Holy Grail. Trade anything for one of these!!! I just keep closing my eyes in satisfaction from the complexity and richness.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Got via trade, extremely excited to try! Been looking to make this trade for a loooong time.
Poured into my Val-Dieu challice. Pours super thick and black, with a reddish tinge. At first, absolutely no head...just solid thick and dark. Then at the very end of the pour, a brownish tan head rises and lasts for a few minutes settling to a surface ring. Leaves frothy dark tan lacing too. Aroma is super sweet, raisins, booze(close to wine), heavy sweet malts.
Taste is strong of coffee, chocolate, licorice maybe...? Very thick and creamy. Slight bitter on the back side...but excelent! Reminds me of a Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Very good Stout!

7000 on backside of label, packaged on 9/13/05. Espresso colored head, quarter inch. Nice milky way in form, bubbly leaving a nice film. Blacker than hell in my Duvel steml, beautiful yet wicked.

Dense aroma of tiramusu, to sum it up best. Coffee liquor and quite luxurious.

Espresso bitterness picked up right away. Cocoa nibs, and surprisingly hoppy. Velvet on the tongue, bitter cocoa nibs and venemous in the back. Dry mouthfeel with a tad of the astringent. It's actually quite welcomed, to counter the bitter cocoa and espresso. Strange to type this, but very refreshing leaving a nice bitterness cocoa oil slick.

For 12% and some years on, this is incredibly drinkable. This is why we cellar.

I don't give out 5s often, but there aren't many more deserving. This beer cannot get any better.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

12oz. brown bottle poured into a snifter. Notes.

A: Pours pitch black, thick, motor oil. Carbonation seems low but eventually erupts into a huge head. Great retention.

S: Deep robust malts. Molasses. A strong alcohol throughout, very compolex. Some definite licorice.

T/M: Aged wonderfully. Massive complex flavor. Very rich malts, lots of molasses and some licorice. Rich chocolate and roasted malts. Great alcohol complexity and aged, rounded out hops. Loads of dark fruity goodness. Body is full as hell with very smooth, velvety carbonation.

D: A huge beer that you don't want to stop sipping.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

I just pulled this out of my cellar. It has been there for two years and 11 months. Poured into my 20oz Tigers mug with the old school '84 Tigers' logo.

A: Just pitch black like dirty motor oil. In fact, it looks just like dirty motor oil. Zero light comes though. Huge aggressive looking head. Thick, dark brownish/black, and heavy. Normal pour, with a three and a half inch head. Truly a sight to see.

S: Dark molasses, dark bitter chocolate, dark fruits like raisins, and alcohol. It's real heavy smelling, like its bitter and dare I say, hoppy? Real nice aroma.

T: Dark and heavy are probably the best two words to describe my initial taste. Dark fruit and molasses. Very earthy and natural tasting. Mainly bitterness, heavy taste, and burnt sugars. Pleasant to say the least.

M: Heavy mouthfeel with decent carbonation. Being bitter and full flavored makes the mouthfeel that much heavier.

D: Well, you wouldn't want to drink a six pack. Well obviously, it's 12 percent but seriously. This is an intense brew, it's very drinkable and could sneak up on some people. Watch out...

Overall, I drank one of these three years ago when it first came out and I think the three years have done wonders. It smoothed it out a bit but don't be fooled, It's still just as intense. One outstanding Anniversary Batch from Mr. Bell.

Bell's Batch 7000 from Bell's Brewery, Inc.