1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Bell's Wheat Six Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Wheat Six AleBell's Wheat Six Ale

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kmpitz2 on 11-12-2005)
2.35/5  rDev -35.6%

The third in the Wheat Lineup from Bell's. This one pours out to a very cloudy dark amber, much darker than Four. It forms a modest off-beige head with average retention and lacing. Carbonation appears moderate, but as it pours, it becomes evident that this brew was made with some copious malts. The aroma is rich and phenolic with lots of browned bananas, cloves, and bread. Amber malts peek through with a hint of rum and dark sugars. The mouthfeel is oily, smooth and medium-dense bodied. The taste is quite odd...it begins with burnt malt and intense roasted barley and chocolate malt bitterness and astringency, giving it a burnt cracker flavor. The bitterness is herbaceous and quite strong for the style. There is an odd taste of some wierd ingredients. There is no telling what went into this, but I taste tobacco, burnt rubber, chemistry lab, seared saplings, an odd chemical bitterness, and leather. Quite an odd combination.

This is a very wierd beer, and I can't really bring myself to enjoy it. I was hoping it was a dunkel-weizen on steroids, but there is something else funky going on here. The mouthfeel isn't quite as gluey as typical Bell's Hefe's, but I think it's simply because it's offset by the odd constellation of flavors. My least favorite of the batch so far.

Mitchster, Dec 07, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -26.6%

This brew pours a cloudy burgandy color. The head is only two inches in height after a vigorous pour, which leaves a bit to be disired in a wheat beer. The aroma is rich malts, cloves, bananas, dark fruits, and chocolate. I have never had a wheat beer smell anything like this before, but it is quite nice and very interesting. The taste is malty with a touch of cloves. The mouthfeel really dominates the taste, and explains why the head was so small. There is almost no carbonation in this bottle. A wheat beer with no carbonation? I hope this is a bad bottle. Overall, this brew is a real disappiontment. I love dark wheat beers, and I love Bell's, but this is a drain pourer.

Edit: Other bottles from this same six pack all had low carbonation, but none where as low as the first bottle I reviewed. It is not quite a drain pourer, but I woul buy it again.

KarlHungus, Dec 13, 2005
2.7/5  rDev -26%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams shaped glass. Packaged on: 11-2-05. Explosive foam when I poured this one. The body did settle clear after a few minutes. An intense bead of carbonation arose. Sludge remain in the bottom of the bottle. The body was a clear golden brown. The head remained throughout.

Smell was slightly sour. Grains. Detergent-like. Fermenting sour-tang. Wheat. Peppery.

Taste was sweet, pie-crust-like. A little cough syrup. Soggy wheat bread. Not altogether appealing. Interesting what age has done to this one.

Mouthfeel was thin to medium, the carbonation was spent on the intense head.

Cresant, Jul 09, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -25.2%

$7.99 for a mixed 6 pack
12 oz bottle
Good Time Party Store
Northville, MI

I first heard about this one on Craft Beer Radio and their mention of it having a toasty toffee finish excited me enough to try it. First off, if the Unibroue Maudite I tried gave off a mustache of foam this one gives off a ZZ Top beard which lingers in a tall and stout glass for several pours. Unfortunately the toasty-toffee-ness is overshadowed by the citrusy-hoplike bitterness although it isn't present in depth in every taste. It reminds me of a combination of two of their beers: Oberon and the Two Hearted Ale (aka Fishbine) in bitterness but also a malty finish mixed with the afforementioned affects to make it somewhat of a burnt hefe-weizen. Almost like strumming a Heath bar guitar doused in powdered milk with your teeth and tongue so that your tongue is a bit numb with a slight rememberance of something that might have once tasted rather good but no longer does.

thelagerheads, Nov 05, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -21.9%

Beer three of this series...thanks to AKSmokedPorter

Big hiss on cracking the cap. Head wasn't quite as explosive as the Four. Still big though but settled quickly and a lumpy, large bubbled white foam remained. Lots of carbonation rise up out of the murky caramel body. This one was pretty clear before I turned the bottle up.

Hint of banana again in the aroma. Some spiciness and straw come through as well. A touch of Belgian characteristics. Similar to the two, more inviting than the four. Still simple with not much too it.

Taste...I dont know. This really lacks the typical wheat characteristics outside of only a fleeting bit of yeast. Spiciness is evident to start (or is that the carbonation?) There is some nutiness and earthyness to it in the finish. Not really all that good actually, its just okay.

This is overly carbonated by a lot. It hurts my tongue it so sharp. The body is thin and nothing to it. It prevents the flavor from coming through. Drinkability really takes a huge hit with the carbonation. The flavor is uneventful and almost nonexistant. I dont know what else to say really.

blitz134, Apr 12, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

Gloomy and murky looking deep scarlet red. Not a lot of light passes through this beer. Head is soft and light and tan. Lace is spotty and sporadic. Aroma is yeasty and sweet and doughy and spicy. This beer has a touch of acidity to the taste. Or if not acidity, at least something that stings a little. This is one big jumbled mess of flavors and they're hard to dissect...for me at least. Nothing offensive here, but it just doesnt' seem to work real good for me. Some husky astingency is noted and a lingering bitterness as well. A little tart apple is noticed as well. Body is medium and mouthfeel is adequately carbonated. These wheat beers seem to be hit or miss and this one is a miss.

Bighuge, Dec 21, 2005
2.9/5  rDev -20.5%

Huge thanks to CRJMellor for this one, I thought I would miss out on the wheat series issued by Bell's. Scary huge hiss when opening, I thought it might gush. Chocolate and caramel smells issued forth. Pours a four finger yellow-light brown head over a cloudy brown rust liquid. Smells woody dry chocolate and spritely caramel. Earthy. Hops are oranges and oily. Clove edge is present, but mild. Tastes sweet chocolate than I was expecting. Some clove hits in the start but the malt sweet quickly rises atop. Wickedly over-carbonated and very distracting. My tongue is stinging from the large bubbles that formed. A bit of caramel has some burnt corners and the finish is dry woody with a hint of cherry sour. I get an aromatic character of a dark spice I can't quite place...perhaps nutmeg? Md body that leaves the mouth quick due to the carb and the dry finish. Not a very tasty wheat.

mentor, May 09, 2006

sampled as part of the 'horizontal' bell's wheat tasting. thanks mike!

red colored. orange peachy and cloudy outside. soapy lace chunx. spry, deep black molasses aroma with some overripe banana skins and dates figuring in. weizenbocky without too much smooth, starchy, sweet fruit. sweetness comes from a deep burnt sugar element. excessively waxy processed wheat finish. just eh. not much to say about this one but EH.

goodbyeohio, Feb 20, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -17%

Burnt. Almost dunkeweisish. Very carmelly. Very burnt. Rather acrid aftertaste. Medium cloudy brown, very nice thick white head. Gaseous. Dates and caramel dominate the flavor. Nuts come in to the aftertaste but they are as burnt as the burnt malts in the front. Muddled. I like it…better than the 4 at least. Not as good as the 8.

DaPeculierDane, Feb 07, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours to a brownish-bronze color with a creamy tan head. It leaves a nice amount of lacing when sipped down.

The aroma has a bit of caramel malts, yeasty and cloves...really searching here....not much going on.

The flavor is of wheat and caramel malts with a bit of clove spiciness.

It is easy drinking and light in body. I was expecting more from this one once I looked at it. I guess looks can be deceiving.

BeerBuilder, Apr 04, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a very cloudy dirty brown color with a thick creamy head with great lacing.

Smell is dominated by citrus and yeast odors.

Taste is dominated by a toasted wheat flavor, some chocolate hints. A bit of fruity belgian yeast flavor also detectable. Very unusual flavor thats for sure.

Mouthfeel is creamy and with a bone dry finish.

Drinkability is decent. The least favorite of the Bell's wheat series so far, but yet so different its worth a try.

bashiba, Dec 03, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

The beer pours a dark copper color, with a huge light tan foamy head. Lots of lacing with this beer. Wheat/yeast is the main smell I get from this beer, but I can also smell a bit of lemon and banana. Taste is wheat/bread, with some spicyness and banana taste too. There's also a slight bitter/sour aftertaste. The mouthfeel is thin, but the beer has too much carbonation that makes it less drinkable. It's similar to the Wheat Four Ale I drank last night, except this one isn't quite as carbonated.

bluejacket74, Aug 13, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

12 oz bottle poured into Heineken half-pint glass. Batch #7119.

A - Good god! I tried to carefully pour this one but out shot a half pint's worth of foamy head! As I let it mellow it becomes quite rocky. Head remains throughout the life of the beer, and it is a slightly beige color. Lacing is ridiculous. Color is darker than most pale wheat ales, as it has much more brown and orange tints than yellow. Body is mostly clear with lots of carbo bubbles.

S - Orange and other spicy citrus scents, coriander & strong yeast with lots of wheat malt flavorings.

T - The load of wheat malt is somewhat overpowering, and almost gives this beer a sour finish. Fruity scents fade to nonexistent in the taste, and there is just a hint of coriander.

M - Highly carbonated with a slightly puckering, dry finish.

D - Hmm, I've had better from Bell's, and I don't think I would drink another one of these unless it was a freebie (good thing I found a single rather than a sixer...)

gmcfarre, May 11, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -11%

szmnnl99, May 14, 2012
3.28/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

from the bottle. poured cloudy amber, with a beige head that left some lacing. aroma light caramel, chocolate, banana, citus leaning to the orange side. flavor, yeast, orange, chocolate. liked this one better than the 4 but the 2 so far is my favorite

walleye, Dec 13, 2005
3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy ice tea color with an overblown head (though not as bad as the Two) that leaves good lacing

Smell: Toffee/butterscotch aroma with some green apple tartness

Taste: Starts with a toffee apple flavor that is rather tart; after the swallow, the toffee flavor becomes more pronounced; the finish provides a rough grainy aspect that is not particularly enjoyable

Mouthfeel: Medium body with lots of carbonation

Drinkability: Much more enjoyable than the Four; but still doesn't do it all for me

brentk56, Nov 06, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -8.2%

The Bell's Wheat Six Ale pours into my Sierra Nevada tulip glass a deep dark reddish brown color with a huge bubbly, cragly three finger head of foam atop the brew. Ruby orange highlights as light passes through. Aromas of roasted wheat grains with a clove like spiciness as well as banana. Hints of caramel and a bit of an earthy character. It's not really pulling me in.

First sip brings somewhat roasted, toasty wheat grain character along with some cloves and spices. I get a sort of abrasive breadiness midway through each sip that's a bit off putting to me. A touch of caramel, banana and dark fruits with an earthy, Belgian-esque yeast flavor. Just doesn't seem to jive together as a whole, but it still ends up being a pretty good wheat beer.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit chalky with lots of carbonation. I'd like to see it be a bit smoother overall. Not a brew that I'd look to go back to, but I'm glad that I had the chance to try it. I'm looking forward to the Eight, and I wish more breweries would do experimental series like this..it's always fun.

orbitalr0x, Apr 13, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -8.2%

This beer pours hazy dark tea color with a very sparse head. Nose is very strong. I get chocolate covered caramelized banana splashed with faint orange citrus and spiceyness, with very doughy and yeasty undertones. Lots trying to go on here and I'm not sure I like what it is doing. Flavor is also interesting, but not drawing me in. I get a solid burnt malt with light creamy wheat, even a touch of banana. I also get some spiceyness hanging in there. Again, the complexity in flavors seem to be fighting against each other instead of melding well together. Aftertaste is very wheaty and slightly yeasty. Feel is moderate with a light to moderate carbonation. Overall, this brew is not bad, but its not great either. I'm having to take some time to let my tongue figure out what it really things about the flavors. An interesting interpretation. Reminds me a little of New Glarus Black Wheat in the roasted character, which must be from the choice of wheat (Toasted sprouts, Torrefied, Red, Caramel...I don't know) as its not in the wheat 2. I also think the spicey products from the Abbey yeast is what I'm not enjoying as much. I think there is a lot of yeast in the beer. It poured extra hazy, and I think the yeast are contributing to flavors I don't dig. Just okay.

kmpitz2, Nov 12, 2005
3.35/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a nice medium brown color with light head. I haven't seen the 'wheat 8' yet, but I was surprised how dark this brew is compared to 2 and 4.

Smell is sweet with aroma of bannana and nut.

Taste is reminiscent of a belgian. Yeast, with strong wheat flavor, hints of fruit and a surprisingly spicy finish.

All in all this is decent brew. Very easy to drink, and a full enough flavor to keep me interested. I'm ready to give the 8 a try.

Blakaeris, Dec 12, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -7.4%

Sedimented brownish amber color, like a muddyish tea, seems the Wheats of November are getting darker and thicker. Minimal head, laces in scant and widely separate vertical strings. Complex aroma, vaguely estery but in a vein that reminds me of simmering unsweetened cocoanut milk with ginger and orange. Medium mouthfeel and reserved carbonation. Flavors are wheaty, somewhat stuffy and pastey -- preserved fruit and decided yeast overtones. Sturdy almost toasted flavors later in the profile, a decent finish to a somewhat odd first impression. OK, different, doesn't strike me that well overall.

ADR, Nov 24, 2005
3.4/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours an amber color with a small head that falls fast and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma has some citrus and banana but also seems to have some darker malts in there as well. The flavor has some spice and fruit, but it also has a dark malt character that doesn't fit. The mouthfeel is moderate and the drinkability is ok. This is an interesting beer, but the flavor just don't seem to jive with each other.

clvand0, Nov 22, 2005
3.4/5  rDev -6.8%

This one pours out to an dark orange to an amberish color in the glass with a decent-sized head. The aroma is that of spice, almost clovelike with baking bread in the background. The taste was decent, but somewhat average. This starts off like a brown ale but finishes with the banana-like taste of a summer hefe. It confused my palate, but your mileage may vary. A good, solid offering in the wheat series, but a notch below the 2 and 4.

proc, Dec 03, 2005
3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lucent tawny with the merest hint of red. The initially lively carbonation settles down within minutes to a slow trinkle, although the toasted beige head remains at a steady two fingers. Thick, smeary streamers of lace decorate the glass and look like they'll hang around for a bit. It appears as if the hiccup that was Wheat 4, first noted in its appearance, has been righted in Wheat 6. Let's hope so.

This beer (just like 4 if I remember correctly) smells nothing like a pale wheat ale. It smells like a malty amber ale or even an Oktoberfest. It isn't wheaty at all and there's no trace of banana or clove. Could one of the (now 6!) yeast strains be responsible? I don't recall Wheat 2 smelling anything like the middle two in the series. Points off for style ignorance.

As I noted at the start of my Wheat 2 review, the only thing that varies in the Bell's Wheat Project 2005 series of beers is the number and varieties of wheat malt and the number and varieties of yeast. How is it possible that the beers themselves are so dissimilar? Or, more accurately, that 2 is good and 4 and 6 aren't. Gotta be a renegade strain of yeast. In addition to smelling like one, this beer also tastes like an Oktoberfest.

The flavor is of heavily toasted dark bread, earthy in the extreme, impressively bitter and not fruity in the least. There's no resemblance to a wheat ale of any sort, although I do appreciate a little clove on the finish. That's paltry compensation for what is a fairly muddled flavor profile.

There's also nary a shred of wheatiness when it comes to the mouthfeel. Just firm, steely, hard caramel-like barley malt. For some reason, I expect wheat to soften things up a tad, to smooth things out and to provide a little fluffiness. Some softness creeps in on the finish, helped by an active, fine-bubbled carbonation.

Wheat Six Ale (green) isn't the success that Wheat Two (blue) was, but it also isn't the disappointment that Wheat Four (orange) was. It's hard to know what the penultimate member of the series will taste like. I can't help feeling that this project was ambitious in scope, but has failed in the execution. So far, 'blue 2' is the only one that is worthy of a repeat purchase.

BuckeyeNation, Mar 06, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -6%

12 oz. brown bottle acquired through a great trade with xgrigorix.
Pours a cloudy caramel with a hefty tan head. Excellent retention and lacing. Very pretty beer.
Fruity and esthery on the nose, with loads of banana and orange peel.
The same flavors come through from the aroma, with hints of citrus, coriander and pepper.
Mouthfeel is creamy and puffy, as was expected. Pretty good and drinkable. Reminded me of something to enjoy while playing pool at a late night bar in the middle of summer. Had just before the wheat love. This one seemed slightly more complicated, with more citrus notes and a drier finish.

Dithyramb, Mar 03, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -6%

This beer was acquired in trade thanks to jpm30. This one isn't quite as bad as the Wheat 8, but it's not exactly good either.

Pours to a very interesting color. It is a hazy nut brown amber color with a thick and creamy white head that lasts for quite some time. Lacing is spotty, but decent.

The smell is almost non-existent. What little bit exists smells like sweet roasted wheat malt. Not exactly what I'm looking for in a wheat.

The taste was just the same. Lots of roasted wheat malt takes center stage while a hint of banana and clove fade into the background, which is the one thing that makes this better than the Wheat 8 [the fact that anything can be tasted other than roasted wheat].

The body is fairly light but creamy. Very crisp. Not very refreshing. If anything can be learned by the Bell's Wheat series it is complexity is not necessarily a good thing in a style in which subtety is boss. I think it would be cool to try this experiment (or a similar experiment) with different styles, but keep the wheat beers simple please; unless you're going for a Wheat Wine, then by all means give me something interesting.

neonbrown82, Feb 28, 2006
Bell's Wheat Six Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.