Bell's Wheat Love - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Wheat LoveBell's Wheat Love

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Wheatwine |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: sopor on 12-09-2005)

thickgirth, Oct 25, 2013
4.2/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is the 3rd bottle I have drank (separate occasions) and I must say this is a great beer.

Off white head. Great retention. Color is a hazy burnt yellow.

Flavors of wheat, bubblegum, cloves, and bananas. It is all real and dense. Lots of malt. Easy to drink for the abv. A wheat beer with a nice amount of body.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Creamy and smooth.

Overall, a well crafted wheatwine that brings out great flavors, has a pleasant kick, and drinks very easy. My 6 pack isn't lasting very long.

mothman, Oct 25, 2013
3.71/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a dense, lovely, autumn golden Belgian color…head is white and thin, with tiny bubbles forming a consistent layer across the top…when I look close, I can see some bubble action along the glass…an alright lookin’ brew, could give a bit more in head, but probably consistent for style…(3.5/5)

Smell: Tons of lively smell…I’m getting tons of wheat (as expected), mixed with yeast, a lemony astringent aroma, clove, honey and banana…very complex for a light brew…malts are light, grassy, a bit pale…there is a faint touch of piney/citrus hops bitterness that rounds out this fantastic smelling brew...(4/5)

Taste: Yum! A vibrant wheat brew with a Belgian yeast twist…wheat, lemon, yeast, mild grassy bitterness…it’s not a complex flavor, but lively and rich, with a nice lemon zesty bite…some astringent notes…banana, clove and a light pepperiness also present…very reminiscent of their infamous Oberon…strong hops presence is palpable, but doesn’t bring a ton of bitterness…very drinkable…(3.75/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body with tons of carbonation…very fluffy bringing lemon and yeast (banana) flavor to the palate…a chewy, creamy and slightly heavier feel as I swirl it around in my mouth…astringent yeast flavor lingers well into the after taste…(3.5/5)

Overall: Another solid brew from Bell’s…it’s very similar in taste to what I remember Oberon tasting like, I’d like to try them next to each other to really see what the differences are…definitely a Belgian inspired brew that brings tons of yeast flavor…it’s the kinda brew I picture going well with a backyard fire…if you’re into Belgian style brews or Bell’s in general, this is a worthy purchase…(3.5/5)

www.brewreport.blopspot.com

craftbrew502, Oct 24, 2013

jschott75, Oct 24, 2013

BtownIrish20, Oct 23, 2013
3.41/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottled poured into a Spiegelau glass. Packaged on 9/18. Consumed on 10/22.

A - Perfect description of color is peach juice. Completely translucent. Gentle pour yielded a 1/2 finger of nearly clear foam which quickly dissipated. Unable to tell carbonation due to translucency. Sediment in bottom of bottle.

S - Lemon and grass. Smelled like a lemony wheat beer. Slightly boozy.

T - Acidic sour lemon upfront. Paired with the apparent high level of carbonation, it's somewhat harsh. Lasting tartness plus typical wheat beer flavor.

M - Over carbonated. Masks whatever other flavor there may be other than lemon and wheat.

O - I bought this beer because of the fine quality of Bell's other products that I have tried. This beer is an absolute miss. It's borderline unpleasant.

Duane_Opfer, Oct 23, 2013
3.88/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Paid 3 bucks for the single. Into a pint glass

A - First thing I noticed was the sweet pillow like head well over an inch and sticking around for quite a while. Lacing all sticky and whatnot. The color reminds me of an unfiltered triple looking like peach juice.
S - Smells like a Belgium triple with no spice. Alcohol smells noticeable with a wheat base and a touch of fruity yeast.
T - Very nice wheat taste swoops in the finish. I appreciate this since the base of the beer seems heavy alcohol with a touch of bread and drying yeast. Guess on par with the style.
M - Medium to heavy it does go down rather stick and the wheat really does make it drink able.

Overall for my first Wheatwine it's quite an experience kind of like a wheat based triple. Worth picking up just for a fresh take on Bells awesome brews.

DrDemento456, Oct 22, 2013

dbc5, Oct 22, 2013
3.56/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I needed some wheat love after this past weekend's Detroit sports debacle.On tap at the Filling Station in GSO.Poured into a standard pint glass a dull hazed dark apricot color with a thinner slightly off white head atop.Aromas were very yeasty with some banana and clove-spice standing out,almost like a wheat bock.Flavors are spicy with some medicinal notes with a tinge of toasted wheat,the alcohol sweetness creeps up on you.Not bad but the yeast was a little big compared to alot of others of the style I have had.

oberon, Oct 21, 2013

pathman, Oct 20, 2013

jman005, Oct 20, 2013

meanmutt, Oct 19, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

I picked up a bottle of Bell's Wheat Love around a week ago for $1.89 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've never had this beer before, but I'm always down to try a beer from Bell's that I haven't tried before, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 9/18/13. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's not the most eye catching, but I think it looks pretty nice. It poured a nice slightly hazy bright golden color that took on an orange hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of thick and creamy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left tons of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of malted wheat that impart a sweet malt and wheat like aroma with some nice citrus rind aromas coming through. Up next comes the yeast which imparts a nice banana and bubblegum like aroma aroma with the bubble gum really sticking out the most. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it reminds me a Hefeweizen if the intensity of the aroma was doubled.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a citrus rind flavor up front with lemon rind seeming to stick out a little more with some bready and wheat like flavors coming through. Up next comes a medium amount of yeast with banana and bubble gum seeming to show up equally with a pretty much no alcohol flavor coming through. On the finish there was a lighter amount of medium bitterness with a yeasty and wheat like aftertaste. This is a pretty good tasting beer, it has some good balance to it.

M- Pretty smooth, clean , a little crisp, on the full side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of the style, I know there's two kind of Wheatwines, the ones that are similar to a Barleywine and there is some like this one which is more like an imperial Hefeweizen, both are nice, but i still tend to prefer the ones that are similar to Barleywines, but this is pretty good for what they i intended it to be. This beer had great drinkability, it was smooth, clean, the alcohol was hidden well and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these but it may start to be a little filling after that. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the alcohol was hidden, it would be hard for me to guess that this is really 8%. What I liked the least about this beer is that it's released in the fall, it's not a bad thing, but I think this beer would fit in better if it was released in the middle of summer, I think it would be a great warm weather beer. I would buy this beer again, I might pick a couple more bottles up before it's all gone and if they released it a again I would at least get one. I would recommend this to any wheat beer fan. All in all I was happy with this beer, I thought it was a nice take on the style and it's fairly different from most Wheatwines. Good job Bell's, I like that you guys are bringing back some of your beer that haven't been made in a while and I would love to see batch 8000 or 9000 released again. Keep up the good work guys.

StoutHunter, Oct 19, 2013

YogiBeer, Oct 19, 2013
3.69/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. Rather bright gold pour, a little orange a little hazy. Finger of white that really retains well.

Aroma, Sharp yeast up front. Wet grain, wheat. Faint lemon zest.

Taste, Solid clove and yeast. Some caramelly malt, bannanas foster. A little more booze than should be present for 8%.

Nearly medium body, good level of carbonation. A little more warming than I would like. A double wheat, not a wheatwine. Worth trying once though.

Bung, Oct 19, 2013

maximus_rebel, Oct 18, 2013

plinythederek, Oct 18, 2013

dalepryor, Oct 18, 2013
Bell's Wheat Love from Bell's Brewery, Inc.