Bell's Wheat Love - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Wheat LoveBell's Wheat Love

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Wheatwine |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: sopor on 12-09-2005

3.87/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Paid 3 bucks for the single. Into a pint glass

A - First thing I noticed was the sweet pillow like head well over an inch and sticking around for quite a while. Lacing all sticky and whatnot. The color reminds me of an unfiltered triple looking like peach juice.
S - Smells like a Belgium triple with no spice. Alcohol smells noticeable with a wheat base and a touch of fruity yeast.
T - Very nice wheat taste swoops in the finish. I appreciate this since the base of the beer seems heavy alcohol with a touch of bread and drying yeast. Guess on par with the style.
M - Medium to heavy it does go down rather stick and the wheat really does make it drink able.

Overall for my first Wheatwine it's quite an experience kind of like a wheat based triple. Worth picking up just for a fresh take on Bells awesome brews. (817 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I needed some wheat love after this past weekend's Detroit sports debacle.On tap at the Filling Station in GSO.Poured into a standard pint glass a dull hazed dark apricot color with a thinner slightly off white head atop.Aromas were very yeasty with some banana and clove-spice standing out,almost like a wheat bock.Flavors are spicy with some medicinal notes with a tinge of toasted wheat,the alcohol sweetness creeps up on you.Not bad but the yeast was a little big compared to alot of others of the style I have had. (519 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +1%

I picked up a bottle of Bell's Wheat Love around a week ago for $1.89 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've never had this beer before, but I'm always down to try a beer from Bell's that I haven't tried before, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 9/18/13. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's not the most eye catching, but I think it looks pretty nice. It poured a nice slightly hazy bright golden color that took on an orange hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of thick and creamy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left tons of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of malted wheat that impart a sweet malt and wheat like aroma with some nice citrus rind aromas coming through. Up next comes the yeast which imparts a nice banana and bubblegum like aroma aroma with the bubble gum really sticking out the most. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it reminds me a Hefeweizen if the intensity of the aroma was doubled.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a citrus rind flavor up front with lemon rind seeming to stick out a little more with some bready and wheat like flavors coming through. Up next comes a medium amount of yeast with banana and bubble gum seeming to show up equally with a pretty much no alcohol flavor coming through. On the finish there was a lighter amount of medium bitterness with a yeasty and wheat like aftertaste. This is a pretty good tasting beer, it has some good balance to it.

M- Pretty smooth, clean , a little crisp, on the full side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of the style, I know there's two kind of Wheatwines, the ones that are similar to a Barleywine and there is some like this one which is more like an imperial Hefeweizen, both are nice, but i still tend to prefer the ones that are similar to Barleywines, but this is pretty good for what they i intended it to be. This beer had great drinkability, it was smooth, clean, the alcohol was hidden well and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these but it may start to be a little filling after that. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the alcohol was hidden, it would be hard for me to guess that this is really 8%. What I liked the least about this beer is that it's released in the fall, it's not a bad thing, but I think this beer would fit in better if it was released in the middle of summer, I think it would be a great warm weather beer. I would buy this beer again, I might pick a couple more bottles up before it's all gone and if they released it a again I would at least get one. I would recommend this to any wheat beer fan. All in all I was happy with this beer, I thought it was a nice take on the style and it's fairly different from most Wheatwines. Good job Bell's, I like that you guys are bringing back some of your beer that haven't been made in a while and I would love to see batch 8000 or 9000 released again. Keep up the good work guys. (3,378 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. Rather bright gold pour, a little orange a little hazy. Finger of white that really retains well.

Aroma, Sharp yeast up front. Wet grain, wheat. Faint lemon zest.

Taste, Solid clove and yeast. Some caramelly malt, bannanas foster. A little more booze than should be present for 8%.

Nearly medium body, good level of carbonation. A little more warming than I would like. A double wheat, not a wheatwine. Worth trying once though. (438 characters)

-Light gold, with nice cloudy wheat appearance, with medium to high carbonation.

-Smells of banana and spice, which tells me they used a hefeweizen yeast. I did not expect that. I'm not complaining, but did not catch that from the description.

-Very tasty with little to no hop flavor, and some slight residual sweetness. The yeast profile tastes more of an Americanized hefe, with a slightly more mild flavor.

-Excellent wheaty mouthfeel.

I think this one should be categorized into another beer style. I would not call it a wheatwine. More of a hefeweizen. Actually, I don't know why they wouldn't market this as a Imperial hefeweizen. This was not what I was expecting, however I enjoyed very much and would buy again. As a matter of fact, I would dare say this was one of the better American hefe's I have tasted. (823 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: an orangish yellow. very hazy but no sediment and a off white head about a finger tall that leaves a little bit of a lacing.

Smell: good wheat character. citrusy.

Taste: starts off with a subtle lemony bread taste. followed by a good wheaty background, shifts towards a slight banana flavor and a bit of spicy alcohol. wonderful complexity

Mouthfeel: perfectly smooth with just a bit of a warming effect. nice and full body

Overall: another killer limited release by bell's. they really need to do more special releases like this because they come out with some of my favorite beers. Great wheatwine with very german weizenbock like character (660 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pale hazy gold with a 2-inch creamy white-to-off-white head that persists. The initial nose suggests clove, orange, and pear, with hints of yeast and hops. Nice complex bouquet. Moderately high carbonation. Sweet, approachable, and moreish palate with medium body and suggestions of sour-dough bread, banana and freshly ground Malabar pepper. Delicious. Belgian lace forms. Makes me think of Berliner Weisse, with subdued sour notes. A definite repurchase. (464 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a murky golden yellow with a frothy ivory head that slowly dissipates, leaving spotty lacing.

Wheat, lemon, and clementine dominate the aroma initially, with clove and light floral and earthy hop notes adding complexity. Banana surfaces as it warms.

Flavor reveals more wheat, with bubblegum esters surfacing mid palate. Lemon zest and orange underlie the wheat and grain backbone. The finish is fairly dry and clovey. Alcohol is evident in the aftertaste

Body is moderate, with fairly high carbonation and significant alcohol warmth.

Like a wheat beer on steroids. Not as estery add some, and very wheat dominant. It's a bit hot. Would like to see this with some age on it. (684 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date 09/18/2013 printed on the label. Snagged a single bottle of this from the local beer store for $2.50. An interesting sounding beer, and a new style for me; this is my first review of what BeerAdvocate classifies as a wheatwine.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Pours a slow-moving, almost viscous, light straw lemon color; hazed golden in the glass. One finger of soapy off-white head.

S - Smell is definitely unique. Wheat grains, corn, flour, burnt tortilla, lemongrass, some sour vinegar, yeast, and a bit of clove and bubblegum spice.

T - Taste definitely didn't do it for me as much as I'd hoped, based on the aroma. Lots of spicy clove and bubblegum, grainy wheat, corn, some crisp champagne-esque yeast presence, some crisp pilsner malt, and some mashed banana on the finish.

M - Feel is thick and full-bodied with bristly carbonation. Heavy and filling.

Overall, I was hoping for a more sour Berliner weisse type approach here,especially based on the aroma which reminds me of Bell's Oarsman Ale, but this is more akin to a Belgian tripel, or something. Not a bad brew, but it didn't quite do it for me. Definitely has me intrigued to try more of the style though. An interesting first attempt at drinking a wheatwine.

Bell's Wheat Love Ale ---3.5/5 (1,315 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Bell's tulip. Beautiful pour! The beer is light hold in color, very hazy, and sports two fingers of very fine, pristine white head. Very appetizing to look at. The nose has lots of fruity esters and spicy phenols very reminiscent of a hefeweizen. Hints of banana, clove, and a slight citrusy note all greet you.

The beer has a light body and a sweet, bready, fruity flavor that follows the nose. Fresh bread and honey flavors exist up front and a nice banana and orange-like fruitiness comes in at mid-palate. The alcohol never does show itself, but you can tell from the firmness of the mouthfeel that this is not a session beer. Refreshing and dangerously drinkable.

I'm not sure I would have categorized this as a wheatwine. It's more like a nice hefeweizen that's just beefed up a little in the ABV department. I had this beer on tap a week ago and enjoyed it immensely, but didn't realize how strong it was. I shall not make that mistake again. (979 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Bottled 9/18/13.

Pours hazy golden straw, with a thick foamy white head. Banana and clove are the dominate notes in the aroma. You also get some hints of sugary orange in the nose. As for the taste, you get tons of banana right up front. Middle of the mouth has some spices working in there, first with clove then a blast of black pepper. There is some sweetness at the back end but it's a muted lemon and orange.

The mouthfeel is a bit thicker than I expected, medium to slightly more than medium bodied. ABV is a very nice and drinkable 8%. Alcohol goes mostly in noticed til the very end. I am very satisfied with this offering from bells. I picked this up for $9.99 which is far less than I expected. To me this is a hefeweizen thru and thru, and is a pretty darn good one at that. (826 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Batch# 12351; Bottled on 9/8/13. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy honey tea color; huge chunky fluffy eggshell white head that sticks around and leaves amazing lacing and retention. The head and lacing alone makes the appearance awesome. The aromas are full of banana, bubblegum, cloves. Tons of yeast. There's some sweet malts in the mix. The flavors match the nose completely. Flavors are slightly earthy and have a subtle bitterness to it. Banana bomb right here. Some cherries in the mix. Some resin. There's no heat and the alcohol goes unnoticed. Mouthfeel is very nice. It's full-bodied and very creamy and fluffy; moderate carbonation. Nice brew. Everything is solid and straight forward. It's not overly complex or complicated. Just straight to the point.

This is a very crisp and refreshing beer. Not sure if this really reminds me of a wheatwine, but it's nice nonetheless. The craftsmanship is definitely there. (942 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +1%

A -straw, opaque. One finger white head. Light fluffy
S-bready, yeast, barnyard. Reminds me of Brauweisse. Dark fruits, sweet, honey, anise, clove. Banana.
T- right on point with the nose. ABV is concealed nicely.
M- medium, more carbonated than I expected.
O-glad I have 5 more of these and will try side by side with my Ayingers. (334 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Founders snifter. Bottled on date: 9/18/13.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy pale gold color with a huge fluffy off-white head.

Smell: Very hefeweizen-esque with big banana and clove esters up front. Some orange peel in there as well along with a hint of caramel malt. Smells very pleasant and hides the abv very well.

Taste: Mirrors the smell, with banana and clove flavors along with some lightly toasted biscuit and caramel malt. A touch of hop bitterness on the finish. There's essentially no alcohol heat, and honestly I could easily mistake this for a 5% abv hefeweizen

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with medium to high carbonation. Very crisp on the finish.

Overall: The bottle was pretty vague as to what this beer actually is, and admittedly it wasn't what I expected. Think of it as an imperial hefeweizen (and a pretty damn good one at that). (876 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +20.8%

Bottle (batch #12351 or date 09/18/13) poured into a Duvel tulip

A-2-finger, foamy, off-white head looks like homemade whipped cream. Hazy, golden-orange body is something of grapefruit juice. Hints of carbonation peek through the haze. Awesome webs of stick. Great retention.

S- Lots of sweet bananas. Over-ripe and candied. Hints of warm alcohol are mellow, not harsh. Some clove. Sweet, wort-like characteristics. Maybe banana bread. Some citrus. Black pepper later.

T- Lots of sweet banana, hints of clove-like spice, some rich, bready component. Coriander/black/white pepper/grains of paradise pek in late. Citrus finish is between orange and lemon.

M- Creamy, medium-full body. Moderate carbonation. A little peppery bite.

O- An old friend that I haven't had in years, since it was first brewed as part of the series (I miss the others, specifically wheat 8, and the other series Bell's used to do). I love wheat wines, and this hits the spot. Lighter on the ABV spectrum, yet flavorful. Glad I went with the sixer over a single. Will make an awesome nightcap come cooler weather. Still refreshing, and could be a good food pairing.

"Love" is right. Better than I even remember. Even my wife said "Wow" and suggested a case may be in order. (1,252 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Cloudy dark yellow with a big and thick eggshell white head. Nice lacing.

S: Fruity yeast, some banana, slight clove, a bit of bubblegum. Maybe some lemon as well.

T: Follows the nose pretty close. Tons of wheat. Lots of nice fruity yeast esters, banana and a bit of clove spice.

M: Medium to fuller body. Smooth carbonation

O: Pretty good drinkability. You can tell it is around 8% though. I wouldn't call it a wheat wine though, more of a imperial hefeweizen. Worth a try for sure, but not my favorite style. (517 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - This pours a very cloudy deep gold color with a huge fluffy white head that sticks all the way through. Nice thick rings of head stick around the glass.

S - Fruity, banana peel, coriander, some spices, smell like a white wine.

T - Heavy wheat flavor right off the bat, lots of yeast, bread, some warming alcohol in the back end.

O - This is my first review of a wheat wine so It is hard for me to judge the style. It tasted similar to a hefeweizen to me so I'm not sure if that is accurate or not.

I think it was a nice drink - take your time. I enjoyed the white wine aspect and enjoyed it. I don't really love the wheaty style so I'm not sure I will have it again, but I think it is worth a shot. I'm glad I tried a new style. (739 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours slightly hazy an deep golden in color with a nice 1.5 finger white head that has great retention.

Nose has some great aromas. Big notes of clove and bananas and a mild candy like sweetness. Mild wheat aromas follow along with a light spicy hop presence.

Lots of hefe flavors show up in the taste. Mild orange like fruity esters along with big banana and clove flavors. Wheat is near the end and adds a nice backbone.

Mouthfeel is slightly thicker then a hefe but carbonation is equally as high. Very drinkable and at 8% this is dangerous. (547 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Note: ABV listed on bottle is 8.0%

Poured 12oz bottle into a tulip glass

A- Pours a bright yellow pineapple with a high white head that slowly dissipates. Looks to have a medium-high body

S- Lots of bubblegum, pineapple, fruity yeast, and banana with slight clove

T- Very fruity and similar to nose. Lots of bubblegum, fruity esters and banana with slight clove. No real alcohol taste coming through, seems all the fruit is covering it up. Leaves a nice lemony taste in the mouth.

M- A medium viscosity pretty easy drinking considering the AVB

O- Really liking this one. Picked it up at Bell's General Store and glad I did. I did try this back in about 2010 when Bell's did their wheat series. From what I've read this was the stand out of all of them and I can see why. Reminds me very much of the great German Hefe-weizens with no off flavors that I've had in some other American versions of the style. Another great Bell's brew! (937 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a half-pint chalice.
2005 vintage

A: Slightly hazy, honey-golden color with a peripheral ring of loose white bubbles. Light lacing remains on the glass and a few bubbles rise in the column.

S: Rustic grain is detectable, but honey notes really dominate the smell. Very clean overall, not especially complex. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with concentrated wheat and a fine thread of dish soap early. Acidity is surprisingly strong and lively into the middle, where honey serves as an ensemble member rather than the lone attraction like the smell suggested. Husky grain is mild into the finish, slightly citric, with a whiff of diacetyl detected. No alcohol is detected.

M: Medium viscosity, acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: I'm told that it was better when it was young, and I'm inclined to believe it. Nevertheless, it is a great pleasure to get to taste this long-departed member of the Bell's family for the first time in 2012. Honey seems to be the defining feature here, although its presence in the flavor profile is found to be in balance with other qualities. Overall, it just struggles to be compelling, seeming more forgettable instead. Perhaps there is a reason Bell's treated this recipe as a one-and-done. (1,291 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -29.1%

Reviewed on 6/24/2010. On tap at Eccentric Cafe. Pours a cloudy orange with a small white head. Aroma of Belgian yeast and sweet wheat malt. Flavor is sweet upfront, almost sugary, with a wheaty finish. Plenty of melon rind, spices, and yeast. This was just too sugary and sweet and very difficult to drink. Not a fan. (318 characters)

Got to try this beer at the Eccentric Cafe on a recent beer tour of Michigan. The review is from notes taken on 6/19/2010 and poured from the tap to a tulip.

Appearance: Pour is an orange/apricot color and starts with a 1/2 finger white head that fades almost immediately to a faint thin skim on the surface; body is very cloudy and I'm unsure as to what the carbonation looks like at this point; no lacing is left behind at all.

Smell: Nice Belgian yeastiness and a sweet banana and clove-like scent emanate up from the glass that spices things up; a very faint hop bitterness is present lurks around in the back.

Taste: Really nice and matches the nose to a "T" -- a nice smooth and sweet yeastiness and a mellow fruit (banana?) presence that is tropical and a little citric in nature and then a peppery and clove like presence comes in; I feel the hops actually make an appearance at the end and leave a bit of a bitter aftertaste lingering with a slightly toasted wheatiness.

Mouthfeel: Body is of medium weight and the carbonation is prickly and a little sharp; a fairly dry and sticky coating is left behind; a nice smooth, yet lively drink -- great for the summer in this heat.

Drinkability: Not too bad of a sipper at 8.2%, but the flavors are nice with solid balance between the sweet and bitter at the end; body is nice and sits a tad heavy, but I could live with that for the solid nature of this beer. (1,419 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -13%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz Bottle- Rating taken from notes dated January 08- Deep amber/copper, slightly hazed with a half inch of off white froth. Leaves some lace as well. A fruit dominated nose with pear, peach, other tropical fruits, yeasty with hints of oak, caramel, some spicing. Tastes sweet, of apricots, some citrus, quite yeasty, some caramel and earthy malts. A bit heated on the finish, in what is an otherwise flavour attempt. I believe this is my first "wheat wine". I'm not sure, but Ibelieve I got this bottle from Styles, so thanks for the bottle Chris! (550 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

A 12 ounce bottle poured into my Maredsous chalice. Appears a cloudy particulate filled orange color with about a finger or so of off white head. Nose and flavors are of wheat, spicy yeast, coriander, lemons, mild sweet caramel, fruity, banana, and a touch of honey. Pretty tasty stuff. Nice medium body and ample carbonation for the style. Out of the handful of wheatwines I've had so far, this one is tops. (408 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Golden color with an orange hue to it. Wheat head that leaves bits of lacing. Smells of apricot, straw, bubble gum, and coriander. Taste has some lemon, clove, coriander, and honey. Carbonation is bordering high, with a medium body. This was an interesting beer, wish I had a little more of it. Good stuff. (306 characters)

Bell's Wheat Love from Bell's Brewery, Inc.