Bell's Consecrator Doppelbock - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Consecrator DoppelbockBell's Consecrator Doppelbock

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-15-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Consecrator Doppelbock Alström Bros

ploobs, Mar 11, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -60.6%

Zanico, May 27, 2013
1.53/5  rDev -59.8%

Piss poor example of the style. Twice tasted from two barrels and twice disregarded as a cloying mess.

Appearance is an alright, if a tad light, hazed copper. Carbonation is light but lasting. No head. Aroma is sweet rancid vegetables and sweaty gym socks. Taste is fruit syrup and alcohol. Mouthfeel is way to sweet and entirely syrupy. Light body (although the syrup makes it feel heavy). No caramel, no roastedness, hardly a touch of malt or hops, just filth. Considering Bell’s consistency problems, I’ll try this again in a year and hope for improvement but for now this beer is a drain pour. The worst dopplebock I’ve tasted to date.

DaPeculierDane, Jun 12, 2006
1.65/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The beer was purchased at Jungle Jims. The beer is from batch # 7209. This beer was served in a wide mouthed wine goblet.

Appearance: The beer has a cloudy coppery coloration. The head is off white. There is positively no retention of the head and no lacing of the glass.

Smell: The beer has a slightly sweet boiled vegetable water smell.

Taste: The beer has the same flavor as the taste. The beer taste like water was used from a veggie boil and used to make the beer. There is a little bit of sweetness. There is no trace of hops or spicyness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is way thin on mouthfeel. The taste and smell are major let downs. I drank about half of the beer. The beer was allowed to warm closer to room temperature before being poured out. Bells makes some very good beers. This is not a good beer. Perhaps this one should be placed back on the drawing board. Dam I bought a sixer of this beer.

nlmartin, May 08, 2006
1.93/5  rDev -49.3%

Pours a dark amber with a very thin off white head and no lacing.

Scent is of sweet malts, raisins. Ok, I can't even work up enough head to get an honest smell of this beer. I'm getting frustrated.

Taste follows the nose? Sweet malts and dark fruits without the slightest hint of bitterness until long after I have swallowed each sip, and then its just sour.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. I think this beer is too thin for a dopplebock. Appropriate carbination, though.

Drinkability is low. I have to say this is one of the worst dopplebocks I have ever had.

Another sub-par offering from Bells. When will they get it right?
I have never had a bad beer from Rogue, Stone, or from Founders for that matter. Bells still has issues with consistant brewing across the board. This beer is terrible, and I wouldn't recomend it to anyone. I poured the rest down the drain.

trumick, Mar 14, 2005

RandyJ, Nov 15, 2011

SourNotes, Nov 14, 2011

Achilles811, Apr 05, 2013

jophish17, Nov 20, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -46.7%

Consumed a few months back and documented.

A - Ruby amber hue. Poor sized head and little lacing.

S - Light roasted malts, but I really felt as if something were just "off" at bit.

T - Dark and heavy malts hit initially and seems pleasing until the finish arrives. To me. this is just unbearable. I cannot compose any diction that would encompass what I felt this taste was, but I just could not bear another sip. I have never purchased a beer that I found had such a horrid aftertaste I would refuse to finish the bottle.

M - Creamy and malt filled body. Still just offended by the finish.

O - Bar none the worst beer I have ever had from Bell's. I cannot seem to figure out why others covet this brew, but for me I will just avoid it from now on.

mscudder, Apr 28, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -43.6%

A disappointment from Kalamazoo.
This one pours out a nice amber-brown body. Tan head lasts a while. It looks the part.
Very little to speak of on the nose. Some malt sweetness, leaning toward prunes or raisins. But not very much.
Taste is similar. Pretty faint for a doppelbock. In fact, I get more off-flavors than anything else. Malt sweetness leans toward prune. Then comes a parade of truly odd flavors. Celery, radish and some other veggies. The veggie flavors do not ruin this beer, but the yeasty sour aftertaste does. Bitter and disgusting with hints of bile. It lingers oppressively. The more you drink, the more pronounced it becomes.
Fluffy and airy body. Neither robust nor thick...especially given the ABV.
The aftertaste of this is truly horrifying. The longer it sits in my mouth, the more I drop the taste rating. Not recommended at all.
A huge letdown.

cokes, Sep 18, 2002
2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

jlibby10, Jan 08, 2014
2.28/5  rDev -40.2%

Mostly clear reddish copper. Fine tight 3/4" beige head quickly settles to a thin rim of foam.

Nose is very malty with some current and chalky mineral notes. A not inappropriate whiff of alcohol is there as well.

Tart in the mouth, with a slight dried currant fruitiness riding on the surprisingly small malt base. An odd, almost rotten, fruitiness quickly develops and overwhelms the palate (not that it takes much of this element to overwhelm . . .). Astringent and slightly metallic finish. The bottle-conditioned carbonation is nice, and mercifully scrapes the flavors off my tongue.

Certainly an odd duck, but nothing screamed bad bottle to me. I just think its not a very good beer. Thanks to MJR for the experience (he had the decency to warn me).

Realale, Jun 17, 2003
2.33/5  rDev -38.8%

A: reddish/amber hues with a thin white head that disappeared quick

S: darker munich malt and alcohol. No real bread crust or toasted notes... pretty one dimensional

T: Im gettin a lot of hot alcohol; its overpowering and masking the other flavors. 8% isn't unheard of and I've had stronger beers that give no alcohol flavor. Bell's just did a really poor job creating a complex malt bill to be complemented by alcohol. The only other flavors Im picking up are really dark fruits, there is a lot of plum.

M: medium body, very slick mouthfeel. finishes almost cloyingly sweet; it seems to linger forever

D: Not impressed. A lot of people talk Bell's up but I cannot think of a single beer of theirs that I love. I have to put them at the top of my list of most overrated craft breweries.

LyonsHead, Apr 03, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -38.8%

Not too excited about this one. I have finally decided that I am going to give up on Bell's. I keep finding myself disappointed with them (except their Porter).

The beer pours out with a maple syrup color with red undertones at the bottom of the glass. The little head that started filtered down to nothing after about a minute. There was litterally nothing in the glass. It looked like I was drinking a snifter of cognac.

The aroma was sweet and malty but it had a strong salty, vinegar-like smell; almost like a jar of green olives. The taste is sweet up front and loaded with malt, but there is an odd balance of flavors that run around my mouth. There is sweetness mixed with a sour-off taste and salty finish.

Overall, not too excited to see the rest of the six-pack taking up precious space in my beer fridge.

ALESwhatCURESya, May 12, 2005
2.38/5  rDev -37.5%

12oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity to revisit...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1/2" beige head over the reddish amber brew. Head settles, but stays with the party for the most part, and lacing is okay for the style. Aroma is very fruity, with an undercurrent of malt and alcohol. Taste is just as strongly friuty as I remember it, overpoweringly so, just shouting everything down except for maybe some alcohol warming at the end. Mouthfeel probably would be good if the flavor wasn't kicking my butt, and drinkability from same. Guess I really just don't like this one. Your milage may vary.

ppoitras, Aug 20, 2005
2.42/5  rDev -36.5%

I tried this on tap at Bells Brewery in Kalamazoo Mi along with 5 other stellar Bells beers. I was vastly disappointed in the consecrator doppelbock. I rarely meet a beer I don't like, or at least wont drink. However Consecrator doppelbock takes the cake. It tastes like burnt sugar mixed into more sugar and then mixed with a bunch of sparingly carbonated toilet water.

The sweetness is overpowering as is the caramel maltiness. Only very slight bitterness and hop presence. Mouth feel is very watery and under carbonated.

I was not impressed

Spacemonkey6945, May 07, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -35.7%

Consecrator pours a hazy orange/brown with a light tan head that hangs around and leaves dome lacing. The aroma is sweet like dried figs and dates but there is also a sour note in there that starts to over power the sweet aromas. The taste starts with a burst of carbonation and then moves to flavors of vienna and caramel malt. This is suddenly overpowered by sour flavors that overpower all other flavors. The finish is sour fruit and grain flavors. The aftertaste is grainy and sour flavors lingering until you sip some water or eat some bread. The mouthfeel is medium sour.
Overall this has to be an infected beer. This is the second Kalamazoo product that I have tried that was sour. I have also had two that were excellent. No way they can be proud of this product. I will give them another try in six to nine months.

purplehops, Feb 16, 2003
2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

Bloodbuzz99, Mar 15, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

jheiss, Dec 18, 2011

batch #9433

pours golden light brown with a 1 finger tanish off white head

smells of sickly sweet carmel malts brown sugar

taste - much of the same way too sweet and the booze is very strong - maybe age will make this beer better

mouthfeel is good for the style - medium to heavy body low carbonation but just enough to make it very creamy and smooth

drinkability - this beer was hard to get down - a sipper that should have been a drain pour but @ $16 a sixer manned my way through

jsh420, Feb 20, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Ruddy chestnut hue and brilliantly clear when decanted. Prodigious, stiff persistent taupe head leaves jagged, dense lace. Honeyish sweetness and toasted malt hit the nose at first, then are contrasted by a tartness akin to unripe plum. Richness in aroma is provided by a lightly buttery, toffeish melanoidin / dark caramel malt combination. Caramelized fruit sweetness hits and coats the palate initially, then is bathed by a detracting sourness reminescent of sour sop. Sourness tapers slightly, allowing sweetness to reemerge in a toasty, bready fashion, only to be offset by light, yet mildly astringent hop bitterness. Becomes thin, oddly vinous and sherrylike late. Over attenuated, but passably smooth. Finishes with diminished lactic tartness fading quickly and token residual sweetness fleeting. Hmm. A beer that had potential, but is perhaps a victim of a fledgling Lactobacillus infection. Not outright bad (yet), but easily far substandard for Bells.

marc77, Apr 24, 2003
2.65/5  rDev -30.4%

A: Beautiful translucent red-brown. Small, slightly tanned head that resides very quickly. No lacing at all.

S: Sweet, malts. Caramel, I can smell the lager yeast. Crisp. Earthy.

T: Really sweet and fruity, but artificial sweetener taste, like aspartame. I get a touch of raisin. Definitely rough around the edges. Noticeable alcohol. Harsh, sickly sweet, fortified wine-like finish, yuck.

M: Thin. Medium-high carbonation.

Sorry Bells, but you let me down on this one. This is my first doppelbock, and I think I just don't like this style of beer. I was never a fan of lagers, especially higher alcohol lagers, so take my review with a grain of salt. Tastes a bit like Baltika 9 cut with Steel Reserve, bleh!

iDrinknewglarus, Aug 24, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

Drk93TT, Mar 16, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

WKole81, May 25, 2013
Bell's Consecrator Doppelbock from Bell's Brewery, Inc.