Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Bell's Consecrator Doppelbock | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-15-2002

Reviews: 648 | Ratings: 1,389
4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

10/12/2008 UPDATED REVIEW
Wow-- amazing reading my original review from 8/5/2005, it must have been a really bad batch or something that we got at Bell's. This stuff is amazingly good.

A= cloudy gravy-amber, fair head which dissipates after a short while, little lacing.

S= dreamy whiffs of nice hops, prunes, apricots, something in that venue.

T= delicious, not overly done on the hops bite, nice rich full blend of the darker fruits (prune, apricot et al), sweet malts.

M= very clean, no residual bite or any unpleasantness

D= extremely-- in fact an absolute requirement for beer fanatics

===
WAS ORIGINALLY 4.5 / 3.5 / 3.5 / 2.5 / 2.5
We happened to be in Kalamazoo for a few days, and Bell's was recommended, so we tracked down the brew-pup and brewery-store - WHAT A HASSLE! After an hour of driving in circles, stopping and asking people on the streets (EVERYONE seemed to know where it was but were useless in giving helpful directions), we finally succeeded. There wasn't enough time to stay for the pub, but we hit the store and bought a few cases-- including a case of Consecrator Doppelbock.

Yeeow... we all ran for cover... Consecrator Doppelbock should be renamed, "Crucifier" because it is so hop-over-the-top! I was afraid to spill it on anything, for fear that it would strip finishes or eat through the structure.

Basically, we gave it 5 thumbs down. Admittedly, one is a Bud-Lite fan, but... then again, I "ain't no beer-soda swiller," read my review on Bell's Expedition Stout, which is truly as superb as its reputation, or my review on Bell's Two-Hearted Ale.

If you're hip on hop, then you'll probably think I'm giving this stuff a bad rap, you'll love it. Just let me know what to do with the remaining 3 six-packs here, heh...

2.45/5  rDev -35.2%

12oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity to revisit...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1/2" beige head over the reddish amber brew. Head settles, but stays with the party for the most part, and lacing is okay for the style. Aroma is very fruity, with an undercurrent of malt and alcohol. Taste is just as strongly friuty as I remember it, overpoweringly so, just shouting everything down except for maybe some alcohol warming at the end. Mouthfeel probably would be good if the flavor wasn't kicking my butt, and drinkability from same. Guess I really just don't like this one. Your milage may vary.

4.39/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

One of Bell's rarest beers and certainly one of its best. The aroma is what first grabs you---slightly sweet and malty, rich and interesting. This dopplebock pours very smoothly, and the aroma continues to get richer. The first taste is a malty bite, and then the smooth sweetness kicks in, leaving a slightly carbonated tingle at the back of the tongue. As you reach the bottom of the glass, there is a bit of sediment present.

A must try, pleasing and satisfying even in hot summer months!

I finally found a solid brew from Bell's, though I am still not a huge fan of Doppelbock.

The beer pours to a clear nutty brown with ruby highlights and a thin fizzy foam that recedes to a film. I had to be careful on the pour due to sediment, which seems to have stayed in the bottle quite well. The carbonation is quite active.

The smell is very malty and uber sweet. The ethanol is apparent in the nose. The taste is very similar. It tastes like a slightly better version of Michelob Amber Bock, though that is not saying much for it. I detect a bit of corn in the aftertaste, but I somehow doubt it has been used in a doppelbock (at least I hope not).

The mouthfeel is crisp and light with a residual sugar aftertaste. The caramel is hidden under all the sweetness. Not bad, but if this is the best Bell's has to offer (based on my opinion of the brews I've had), it's not really worth trying again.

3.69/5  rDev -2.4%

A solid American Micro attempt. Similar to most German Dopplebocks, but is a little more 'yeasty' looking when poured. Smells more chocolatey and the fruit aromas are more defines. Tastes sweet, maybe too sweet. Dark fruits of prunes, figs, dates, and a bit nutty. Solid flavors from caramel, molassas, and brown sugar with a bit of toasty-ness. Lightly detected hop presence in flavor, bitter, and aroma. A little musky smelling and earthy tasting. I would go so far as to say grainy or astringent. Nice alcohol warming and sweetness in the finish. Nice firm body, just a bit too sweet. I'll lay one down for a year or so, then see what's happening.

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours an amber brown crystal clear body with a thin off-white head. Lots of tiny little bubbles and particles float in the glass.

S- Sweet caramel maltyness with an otherwise very clean smell to this beer. A light fruity smell is faint but noticeable.

T-This beer has a light toasted malt taste with strong sweetness and some apple cider notes. No darker flavors are present. Very light finish with possible a hint of grape juice.

M- Medium body with no alcohol warmth or carbonation noted.

D- This has a strange light fruit taste without any malty backbone. The alcohol is very light for 8% and so is the malt. Not quite the oomph to call it a doppelbock.

4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

Clear red/brown with ruby highlights topped by a light tan head. Looks pretty nice. Complex aroma, malty sweet, lots of fruit, raisins, and alcohol. Low bitterness with a malty, fruity plum flavour and some hop presence. Finishes malty with some alcohol flavour. Full body blends well with alcohol warmth and creamy, slightly syrupy mouthfeel. Medium/low carbonation. Quite enjoyable and drinkable, even with the higher abv.

3.57/5  rDev -5.6%

Another sampling courtesy of Feloniousmonk and BIF 20! I am sampling a slightly chilled bottle in a pint glass.

The beer pours a slightly cloudy mahogany with some ruby highlights. A small fizzy beige head foams up easily and fades to a thin surface layer quickly. Aroma is mostly malty with some toffee and caramel mixing with a bit of brown sugar and also some lite alcohol hints.
First sip reveals an average bodied beer with medium carbonation. The body is silky smooth and goes down very easy.
Flavor is similar to nose with some malty sweetness of brown sugar and caramel up front, rolling to a clean finish and a hit of warming alcohol from the back of my throat to my belly.
The beer is very drinkable for 8% even with the warming. I wish it had a little bit of chocolate malt flavors and possibly some hops somewhere to balance a little, but overall it is a decent beer.

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

This bottle pours nice and thick and rich, it is a hazy mahogany color in the glass, and leaves a carmel color foam haze on the surface, with a nice ring around the edge.

Smells very sweet and malty, with noticable alcohol.

Tastes like it smells, malt and alcohol are instantly noticable - it is a bit tawny and molassis like, though, maybe a little too thick.

The mouthfeel is rich and creamy, though. Syrupey, too, a bit too syrupey for my tastes.

I think instead of a "double bock", it should maybe be a 2.5x bock, or at least a 2 1/3 bock. If you are into thick beers, give this a try.

3.67/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a reddish-amber hue with a nice beige colored head that dissapated quickly. Smell is mostly fruity esters with smells of raspberry and a light sweetness. Taste is big on malt of course with flavors of rock candy, a tart raspberry taste, and a grassy hops background. The alcohol shows it's head and it's pretty noticeable which detracts from the drinkability. This is a descent dopplebock, but the alcohol is too apparent and the flavors are too raw and overwhelming. This is a descent attempt at the style but not something i would seek out again.

2.3/5  rDev -39.2%

Not too excited about this one. I have finally decided that I am going to give up on Bell's. I keep finding myself disappointed with them (except their Porter).

The beer pours out with a maple syrup color with red undertones at the bottom of the glass. The little head that started filtered down to nothing after about a minute. There was litterally nothing in the glass. It looked like I was drinking a snifter of cognac.

The aroma was sweet and malty but it had a strong salty, vinegar-like smell; almost like a jar of green olives. The taste is sweet up front and loaded with malt, but there is an odd balance of flavors that run around my mouth. There is sweetness mixed with a sour-off taste and salty finish.

Overall, not too excited to see the rest of the six-pack taking up precious space in my beer fridge.

3.19/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a hazy chestnut color. Off white foamy head disappeared immediately, leaving no lace at all on the glass. Huge amount of streaming bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Smells of toffee, slight roasty and buttery. Caramle flavor, slightly buttery, dark fruit. No deep robust malt profile here. Over carbonated, watery. This one falls short in my book. This got a little better as it warmed, but not that great.

I like this beer a lot. Too bad its so seasonal. This pours a reddish brown color. It smells of dark fruit and malt. The taste follows the nose. It is sweet and malty with some dark fruit flavors such as plum and raisin. It has a good mouthfeel with medium carbonation. I think its a very drinkable beer. This one is one of my favorites from Bells. I highly recommend trying it.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Crystal clear ruby color with a quickly dissapating tand head. Carbonation cascades through the body and pops at the top.

Smell: Kind of boozy and musty. Iced tea, dark fruits, and wheat bread notes fill the nose.

Taste: Alcohol up front...barleywine-like in character. Kind of interesting...honey, dried pears, cinnamon, and wheaty notes all blend together to make this an interesting beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and crisp with a dry, alcohol finish.

Drinkability: Suffers some just b/c of the alcohol presence. This would be great as a night cap or an apertif. Another solid offering from Bells. Strongly recommended.

3.78/5  rDev 0%

Out of a bottle with a goat on it, the Consecrator pours out a dark reddish brown. What little head there is dissipates quite quickly, with hardly a bubble remaining on the surface after a few minutes of drinking.

Smells sweet and malty, and tastes much the same. Not very thick in the mouth, with the caramel sweetness by far the dominant taste. I guess I could find the maple flavor in it, too. Detectable presence of alcohol. Goes down quite well, being a doppelbock and all - I don't think this would offend my wife the way Sam Adams Double Bock did. Relative easy to drink, finishing smooth.

Overall, a pleasing experience, but not exceptional.

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured up a deep caramel color with a nice foamy head that faded fast. Lots of activity continues in the glass. The nose is very subtle but my sense of smeel is not the best. It has a nice fresh flavor that is slightly fruity and sweet. The mouthfeel is thinner than I expected it to be. I'm also getting a maple flavor. This is a nice beer that warms you as drink it. Another solid brew from Kalamazoo! I'd reccomend it to the right person.

3.93/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: Dark, reddish-brown. Off-white head that quickly dissipated. Very hazy.

Nose: Sweetness and alcohol. Faint hints of fruits, but very subtle. The alcohol definately dominates the nose.

Taste: Dark, sweet caramel taste. Lots of maltyness. Some light fig tastes.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin overall but still very thick and coating. Strong carbonation mouthfeel.

I find Consecrator very drinkable, perhaps even a good session beer. But, I don't think it holds up well to other dopplebocks (Celebrator immediately comes to mind) for taste. The taste is very simple and up-front. It's good, just not much too it. I always buy a few 6 packs though when it is in season.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

I'm really glad I let one of these warm a bit from refrigerator temperature because if I rated it while cooler it would easily be a full point lower.

Pours a dark reddish-brown in color with an off-white head that lacked retention, a bit of lacing throughout the pint. Nose is quite alcoholic and sweet, quite strong, a bit one dimensional though, simplistic. Taste is quite estery, apple peel, citrus, pear, fig, stewed fruit, hints of biscuit. There is a strong and clear alcohol and carbonation bite. Quite a thick mouthfeel for a dopplebock, quite welcome, almost sticky I would say. Finish is a little dry. This one is quite warming, quite nice.

I liked this one quite a bit, I had the '04 and it was nowhere near this one as far as I'm concerned. Very easy drinking.

Slàinte!

3.67/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a nice caramelly amber red with a nice tan head on top. Nose has a lot of fruitiness with hints of sweet caramel toffee and yeast. Quite nice....I enjoy it.

First sip has a big caramel sweetness along with hints of earthy yeastiness. There's some hints of light fruit and quite a bit of sweetness as well. This seems fairly light for a doppelbock and the huge sweetness takes away from it a bit. Not bad overall.

Medium bodied and a little thin overall. Fairly smooth...flows over the mouth nicely. This was nice to try but I don't see myself coming back to it all too often. Thanks to my buddy kmpitz2 for sharing this one with me on my trip to KY.

3.93/5  rDev +4%

This is the first beer shared between me and orbitalr0x on his trip down to visit. The warm up for the Liberator. This beer pours a nice amber color with a finger of head that sticks around very well. The nose is really sweet, with a sweet strawberry fruityness. Interesting. The flavor is a little weak, not as full and robust as I would exect. Its malty, with a somewhat nutty character. I like it. The feel is moderate to thick, with a slight syrupyness. Overall, this is a really easy drinking beer for 8% Smooth and very nice.

1.93/5  rDev -48.9%

Pours a dark amber with a very thin off white head and no lacing.

Scent is of sweet malts, raisins. Ok, I can't even work up enough head to get an honest smell of this beer. I'm getting frustrated.

Taste follows the nose? Sweet malts and dark fruits without the slightest hint of bitterness until long after I have swallowed each sip, and then its just sour.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. I think this beer is too thin for a dopplebock. Appropriate carbination, though.

Drinkability is low. I have to say this is one of the worst dopplebocks I have ever had.

Another sub-par offering from Bells. When will they get it right?
I have never had a bad beer from Rogue, Stone, or from Founders for that matter. Bells still has issues with consistant brewing across the board. This beer is terrible, and I wouldn't recomend it to anyone. I poured the rest down the drain.

3.11/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a cloudy bright amber-copper color with a nice foamy lasting white head with some lacing. Has a sweet fruity and nutty aroma. Sweet and malty roasty caramel flavors very sweet in the finish, medium body with a slick and smooth mouthfeel, burning alcohol finish.

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%

pours nicely the colour of iced tea. nearly nonexistent head.

aroma is faint and of malts mostly, a little breadiness.

taste is malty goodness, with a decent alcohol presence.

mouthfeel is a bit watery for my liking

decent beer. seems to be better than last year's version, which i didn't care for at all. still not spectacular, i expect better from bell's. i'll probably get this again though, it's good and all, it just doesn't "wow" me all that much.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a light, murky cherry-rust color. Smells pretty weak, with that "special" Bell's aroma I've come to know and not like very much. Taste on the other hand is very good. It has that hearty doppelbock flavor, with a nice sweet maltiness and some chocolate as well. Only a slight alcohol burn mars the flavor. Mouthfeel is a touch weak, which (oddly) adds to the drinkability.

Overall, this is a pretty good doppelbock. Would, however, I buy again? Not likely (maybe a single once in a while). Nevertheless, if you like doppelbocks, this is one to try.

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. longneck - no expiration date.

A murky glowing ruby-copper color with a nice beige head that diminished quickly, carbonation was very audible as the head crackled and faded.

Scent while the head was 2 inches = massive vanilla & buttery malt. When the head died, scent of fruity alcohol & brown sugar.

Taste was much more toned-down compared to it's scent. Still, there is a good burnt sugar, roasted maltiness flavor going on. A warming alcohol flavor is right there 'til the end.

Mouthfeel was a little watered down but the fine, active carbonation kept it from being boring. Medium bodied at best, even thought the lable says it's 'full bodied'.

Drinkability was good, seeing this would be a good dopplebock for beginners to get acquainted with this style.

Overall a fair-good offering from a legendary Michigan microbrewery. Bell's strong suite is still their stouts and porters - by far. A tag line they use (that I'm quite fond of) is...'If God had wanted us to filter our beers, he wouldn't have given us a liver'. If you are ever in Mid-SW Michigan, you need to treat yourself to Bell's 'Eccentric Cafe' - where Bell's beer is the freshest!

Bell's Consecrator Doppelbock from Bell's Brewery, Inc.