Bell's Consecrator Doppelbock - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Consecrator DoppelbockBell's Consecrator Doppelbock

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-15-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Consecrator Doppelbock Alström Bros

12oz bottle served in a glass beer mug, Sweet!

Mostly clear red/amber color with a beige head that thinned to a ring and left a few streaks of lacing, Sweet!
Molases sweet aroma, Sweet!
Sweetness and then some more sweetness, Sweet!
Medium bodied with a smooth feel, Sweet!
Sweet!

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

I thought I actually reviewed this beer already, so I'm thinking that I wrote it in my notebook which I have since misplaced during my move and have not yet located it yet. However, the nice thing about that problem is that I now get to drink another one and it's well worth it. Poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a caramel color with some hints of ruby in it (a very pretty color, actually) and a fairly minimal head - approximately 1/2 finger that is the lightest tan; there is solid carbonation bubbling up from beneath and it makes the surface skim look like it's got dozens of little geysers bursting at the surface; body is largely clear.

Smell: Deep sweet caramel/slightly burnt sugar and warmly roasted malts that aren't quite toasty; hints of alcohol in the nose. A very sweet smelling beer that's making me thirsty just smelling it.

Taste: Wonderfully sweet and malty; strong hints of caramel and slight hints of butterscotch; a very slight and miniscule hop bitterness is hidden way in the back; fairly strong vapor of alcohol clings to the breath.

Mouthfeel: Body is a little thick and chewy; carbonation is quite strong and causes a lot of tingling in on the palate, especially on the insides of the lips; a slight stickiness is present, yet the alcohol brings about a certain dryness when it's said and done; mouth, chest and stomach are warmed from the alcohol.

Drinkability: It's a great beer that's got a lot going on -- I really dig the sweetness and I especially like the chewy body. It goes great with food and compliments the strong German cuisine that I was fortunate enough to get to eat with it. The ABV is a bit high, but hey, when you're eating it with food it sits a little easier. I think if I was just drinking it at the end of the day or at a bar, I would definitely have to go easy and be sure to drink some water with it (unless I wasn't driving, then I wouldn't really care).

3.79/5  rDev -0.5%

Tried a sescond bottle (from infextation) 12-04-09, bumped up taste score got more breadyness this time, still not as goood as I had hoped, this had a better mouth feel too

Got this from beertracker, Thanks Jeff!

Pours a ruby hued caramel with a finger of tan head. A bit of viscosity to this with a touch of lacing & less head retention

S: Jammyness & leafy hops

T: Jammeyness & leafy hops, followed by dry brown bread up front. Apricot jam & a touch of honey as this warms, plus more leafy hops& dryness, plus a whisper of booze; this one is a bit too off style for me....Finishes dry with some sticky caramel& more apricot. almost bails itself out at the end

MF: Medium bodied, low carbonation & a touch watery, thickens as it warms

Drinks pretty easy for the abv, but reminds me more of a strong English Ale or a wee heavy than a bock, not near as good as I hoped...

3.64/5  rDev -4.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint bottle.

A-Pristine red-copper beer. Light tan head rises off the pour, reduced quickly.

S-Malty goodness is prominent, with a slight toastiness mixed with a melanoidin character and moderate crisp spiciness.

T-Rich, deep, luxurious... what other words could describe this full-flavored beer... immense... epic... ok, too much. Sweet malts of caramel and sweet bread stand tall here, with a bit of balancing bitterness keeping them in line, perhaps a bit more than just in line. Finishes crisp with a bready malt aftertaste.

M-Medium-full body. Carbonation is medium level and smooth, melding nicely into the big bodied beer.

D-Good, but not the greatest dopplebock. It's refreshing on one hand, complex and interesting on the other, fuller hand.

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

This is my first taste of the Bells Brewery.

Batch #8881

A- Poured into a pint glass, a deep copperish amber with a chunky tan head about an inch thick that faded quickly.

S- Sweetly malty and caramel.

T- Very sweet thick bread.

M- Very smooth, kinda chewy, low carbination.

D- The achohol is hidden very well, wouldnt have more than 2 in a row though.

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%

Purchased from Ray's Liquor in Wauwatosa, WI. Pours a medium amber color with a thin white head. Bready aroma, medium bodied with a very sweet carmel flavor. Cloying finish with some warm alcohol feel. Nice to try one bottle but I don't need another until next Spring.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance - pours a clear reddish amber. A thin layer of manila bubbles is already breaking up on the surface yet manages to lay down a few nice patches of lace.

Aroma - good roasty character, some doughy malts.

Taste - good toasty malt opening, slightly sweet but with a slight nip of hoppiness on the swallow. That segues a good malty fullness of flavor, enhanced slightly by some warming alcohol. Great balance to this beer.

Mouthfeel - a light smoothness to the above average body. Leaves the palate a little prickly after the swallow.

Drinkability - dangerously drinkable, goes down very easily.

4.14/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a reddish caramel. No carbonation, tiny co2 lacing ... hmmm. I can swirl up some carb, it is in there.

Sweet rum rasin. Port-ish. No Abv present, impressive for 8%. Medium malt. Some sugar that I cant quite place. Date?

Yummy delicious caramel malt. Minimal hops, awesome malt bill. Well rounded, lots of flavors I cant quite place.

Sits will for the expty carb pour. Maybe a tiny bit sweet, preference as I cant fault style.

Yummy. Very drinkable beer. Would love to have more. This might do well with some age, not too long I think.

4.39/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep reddish amber, there was some very nice orangish tan head, but it had dissipated by the time I sat down.

S:Sweet, ripe bananas. Figs, yeast, Grape juice and a slight bit of alcohol. Very nice, you could just keep dissecting the smell of this for hours.

T: Sweet, malty. A good bit of fruit in there. Like raisons, or coffee cake of some kind. Ripe fruit and Brown sugar.

M: Lots of carbonation, nice consistency...

D: Fruity and delicious. The alcohol is well hidden, and the flavor is subtle and complex.. Definitely a Winner.

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

This is a weird one, for me. Thanks to Loki for this in trade. Pours a rustic, reddish/pinkish. Almost rusty, from what little brown there is. Quick swirl of carbonation that quickly fades down. Smells like... caramel? Like a Werther's, almost. Weird. A bit of grassiness and malt, but overall the smell is pretty subdued. A boozey blast from the smell, too. Taste is very syrupy, especially going down. Some more caramel and some sweet toasty malts. Just a bit of the hop kick, but by this point the syrupyness has re-asserted itself. Not that big in body, thin for a doppelbock. It's definitely coating, but in the wrong way. Also tastes boozey at first, but it turns out to be very drinkable. I don't know what the cost runs for this, but I suspect there are better options out there.

3.35/5  rDev -12.1%

GLASS: Seidel
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
BATCH #8881 (February 5, 2009)
Thanks to slater1313 for knocking this 'want' off of my list!

Pours a slightly darker copper-ish color. Two fingers of loose, light tan colored, foam form the head and quickly dissipate, to my chagrin. Lacing is non-existant.

Good presence of sweet maltiness. Light hint of grains. Caramelized brown sugars.
The nose is very subdued, especially for the style. So, far, this isn't looking good for my level of anticipation.

Nice, clean tasting, sweet toasted maltiness. Light hints of caramel toffees. Slight hop notes to balance it out, but not bitter, at all.

Lower end of the scale medium body. Almost thin. Smooth, but lacks any creaminess to keep me interested. Low to medium level of carbonation.

Drinkability is way too easy. The 8%ABV is not detectable at all, by me, anyway. Very well hidden. Smooth and sweet. I could drink these all night....or at least until the alcohol catches up with me and I pass out.
Not my favorite Doppelbock, but one that I wouldn't mind drinking, from time to time.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks goes out to beveritt for this one.

Pours a nice clean/clear dark golden brown color, some carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, with some minimal sticky lacing. The nose is malty, with some caramel. The taste is sweet, malty, with lots of caramel. Medium body. drinkable, this is a tasty brew, glad to have had a chance to try it.

4.24/5  rDev +11.3%

I have to say I was surprised this only got a B overall. I definitely found it to be one of the best dopplebocks I've had this spring. Poured from the bottle into my Bell's pint:

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous shade of amber-brown with a well-retained 1 1/2 finger thick, full, tan head. Clear with moderate carbonation running throughout.

Smell: Very subtle. Would have expected a little more. Light, grainy malts and a very gentle, slight floral hop presence.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mmm...really nice! Toasted malts come across chewy and crunchy all at once and aren't overly sweet or caramelly. Light hop presence repeats in the taste, unfolding slightly floral in the swallow and aftertaste. Feel is creamy and moderate with a very refreshing finish thanks to the carbonation.

Drinakability: Very high - this is a great example of the style, and very accessible for people who like dopplebocks or those who are just getting into them. Solid!

4.23/5  rDev +11%

first sip, this beer is AWESOME!!

Nice huge malty beast that surprisingly pushed me from Pales for a while.

Extravagantly carmel, super big flavor, big malts. Extremely smooth. Not a session beer. I can have 1, maybe 2 in an evening.

Poured from a bottle to a wine tulip. Nice vigorous spin of the bottle before opening the top. Super malty and the yeast is so flavorful. This may be my new favorite Bell's product...but Oberon is still my summer session beer.

Medium body for mouthfeel. Huge body for flavor. I'm ready for it to come out next season.

Poured slightly chilled into pils glass (all I had that was clean)...a nice, clear, dark copper over rocky head that lasted a short time, with some carmel-colored lacing that faded quickly. Smell of malt, sweet, hint of grain but very light. Taste was again malt sweetness, good balance of hops though no bitterness detected, nor was there much of an alcohol taste despite 8% ABV. Mouthfeel was smooth and fairly drinkable again despite it's 8 percent. A good beer!

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Beautiful clear dark amber. Smallish head but lasting lace. Smells like a maple syrup jelly bean (would I kid you?). Awesome. Tastes like one too :) Oh. Just kidding, I guess. It tastes exactly like it smells but it's hard to qualify that smell. There's tiny carbonation bite - which is fine and in style. There's a little residual bitterness. Also fine. It's sweet. I get brown sugar (the nice organic kind - not just cheap no-brand crap). There is a little musty malt to the aroma. And, yeah, you get malts in the mouth, too. Melanoidin. Well, that or decoction :) I suppose that's the dominant flavor - a Munich/decoction thing. Very good for the style - pretty much right on everywhere. Kudos!

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

My first doppelbock(ever) so I don't know how to really rate it. All I can say is that it was great with some ice cream w/ choclate sauce. A sweet complement to any dessert. Hides the 8+% in a good fashion. Really reminds me of the Cruisn' w/ vinnie and the jets from lagunitas. Not my style but nice to try.

Thanks for the extra abbddull!

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%

12oz poured into a Pilsner Glass. Batch number on back of label.

A - Consecrator poured a deep amber/ copper color with a light tan, loose, frothy head that was huge. It went down slow and stuck to the glass.

S - Sweet, malty, caramel and vanilla aromas with a wet wheat undertone and toasted malts.

T - Overly sweet malts with caramel. Toasted malts too. Honey flavors in the sweetness. Very malty with very little to balance it out.

M - Smooth, creamy, and mellow, this Dopplebock goes down well.

D - For a Dopplebock I enjoy the sweet malt but I think the sweetness goes too far on this one. Its borderline too much in the drinkability department. Not enough balance.

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Dark copper brown with a nice head after an aggressive pour. Smell is very sweet. Lots of honey, brown sugar, raisins and . Taste is of bread and bananas with some yeast. Mouthfeel is nice but the beer is just too sweet. It seems to be big for no real reason. I would prefer a little more subtle and drinkable beer for the style. Pretty decent, but there are other better, and for me, more accessible examples of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Presentation: 12oz bottle into a glass mug.

A- Clear copper/amber. ~2 fingers of tan head. Head dwindles slowly to a thin, incomplete cap. Minimal lacing

S- Bit of raisins/dark fruit with a hint of caramel/brown sugar.

T- Sweet, sweet, sweet caramel maltiness. Did I mention that this was sweet? Bit of bitterness and a tiny alcohol kick on the finish. Interesting, but too sweet for my preference. Imbued with that "distinctly bock" flavor that I can never quite adequately parse out and put into words...

M- Moderately low carbonation. Full feeling, and syrupy.

D- OK. Reasonably easy drinking, especially considering the solid 8% ABV....but the big sweetness would keep this at one and done for me.

Future outlook: Bocks like this are interesting changes of pace for me, but certainly outside of my preferences. Hard for me to knock any aspect too much, though nothing about it really wowed me. Would be worth a revisit specifically as a change of pace, but not something I'm likely to seek out any time soon.

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz bottle at 55 degrees.

Pours dark caramel with a ruby hue and a barely a trace of head. Zero lacework and a placid surface on the brew within seconds.

Aromatics lead off with sweet malt, caramel, raisins, and toffee. Sugary and malty.

Medium bodied with a sticky, syrupy mouthfeel.

Juicy malt drizzeled with caramel and raisins start the palate. More sweet malt follows through along with a hint of warmth.

Finishes with lingering, sweet malt and hints of cherries with burnt sugar.

Too sweet for my taste, it kills the drinkability.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A. Pours a reddish-brown with a small head and minimal lacing.

S. Malt and citrus are the the most dominate in the smell for me. Also a slight hint of hops. It isn't as hoppy as many of Bells other offerings though.

T. Caramel dominates the flavor. Has a sweet flavor to it, but not as good as some other bocks.

M. Not a whole lot of carbonation. Slightly thick. Has more of a syrup texture to it.

D. Has a sweet flavor that hides the alchohol, which makes it very easy and enjoyable to drink.

3.56/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a clear glass mug. No freshness date. Single purchased from Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $1.95.

A: Dark chestnut-amber with tangerine, 1-2 finger head with average retention and minimal lacing.

S: Light nose with a bit of malt butterscotch and a dash of herbal hops.

T: Sweet but nowhere near the flavor profile of the top-tier doppelbocks. Sweet maltiness with plenty of buttery caramel flavor and a light herbal, earthy hops note.

M: Medium bodied with relatively low carbonation for the style and sweet, brown sugar aftertaste.

D: A good, solid doppelbock but a far cry from the best in the style.

3.82/5  rDev +0.3%

I actually had this one a while ago but I just found some notes. Bell's is actually the first doppelbock I ever had.

The color is a dark brown with reddish hues. The head pours pretty compactly and retention is average. Lacing is minimal to light.
The smell is sweet toasty malts with a hint of some tart fruits. Nice buttery biscuit hints as well.
The taste is sweet malt right up front decently balanced with fruit notes and a toasty biscuit note. The alcohol taste is more of an afterthought considering the high ABV. Nicely done.
Mouthfeel is thick, maybe a little syrupy, with a medium body. Not too slick, but a bit. Carbonation is moderate but not overdone.
This is a very nice beer and worth a try. It did well to make me want to look into doppelbocks more as a style.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz bottle from batch 8251, packaged on January 21st 2008, served at warmer than fridge temperature.

Pours with a dark red, clear body, razor thin head still manages to cover the surface completely but has poor retention.

Smells sweet and figgy. Malts smell nuttily toasted, not roasted, and it works. Slightly tangy, like a cranberry scone. Yum.

Sweet throughout with a light dusting of noble hops. Thick. Manages to be intensely malty without being too sweet, and the finish is actually pretty dry. A little gingerbread-like, hints of caramelized sugar. Sweet fragrant pipe tobacco... no obvious flavors, this is pretty complex. Took me most of the glass to catch on to the alcohol taste, it hides well. When warm, the flavor swings over toward brandy... no need to let it get there.

Mouthfeel is great, heavy but not excessively viscous. Carbonation is like being tickled with a feather. Well-done.

Enjoyable and complex. Didn't rock my world, but above average.

Bell's Consecrator Doppelbock from Bell's Brewery, Inc.