1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Black Note Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Black Note StoutBell's Black Note Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.80% ABV

One of the most sought-after stouts in Bell's history, Black Note Stout blends the complex aromatics of Expedition Stout with the velvety smooth texture of Double Cream Stout and ages the combination in freshly retired oak bourbon barrels for months. The resulting harmony of flavors captures the finest features of all three components: malty notes of dark chocolate, espresso & dried fruits, all buoyed by the warmth and fragrance of the bourbon barrel. Aimed squarely at the stout and bourbon aficionados, Black Note makes a grand statement about the art of the dark.

(Beer added by: mcallister on 06-16-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,204 | Reviews: 434 | Show All Ratings:
cbutova

4.45/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes taken on a growler pour. Opened with a pop and plenty of carbonation in the beer, pressure-filled.

A- Poured from the growler into an 8oz snifter. Small mocha tan head forms but quickly dissipates falling to almost nothing and lace is out of the question.

S- A balance is found immediately between then bourbon and stout. Rich as it gets with high quality Bourbon aromas, deep chocolatey fudge and strong oak barrel. Feels as if there is some age but not in a negative way.

T- Reminds me of Damon in a way but maybe a bit less pronounced in the stout category, just really smoothed out. Bourbon whiskey, vanilla, dark roast coffee, fudge, caramel and deep roast grains.

MF- Lower end carbonation and pretty heated from the almost 12% alcohol. Thick oily body with a somewhat creamy feel.

In the same realm as Damon goes for Bourbon stouts but a bit more of the whiskey shows and more alcohol heat noticed, still super balanced and smooth. Big oak and chocolate fudge comes to mind.

12-01-2013 03:55:11 | More by cbutova
BierJager89

4.83/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Holy shit. Poured from a growler?! into a snifter in California?! From a complete stranger?! Thank you to every single person and thing and event that allowed black note to cross the threshold of my mouth. Especially the stranger at the bar and my friend with whom I tried this.

A: Solid black with a faint brown ring of head that is all but completely absent. Little carbonation as this was poured into a growler at the brewery and transported all the way to california before being poured into a snifter.

S: Old yeast and dark bittersweet chocolate, very reminiscent of Older Viscosity, as well as vanilla, roasted malt, oak and alcohol in the nose.

T: Anise, oak, vanilla, dark bittersweet chocolate, medium roast coffee, alcohol. Absolutely delicious. A near paragon of the bourbon barrel aged imperial stout style. Lacks the strong vanilla character I love about the style, as well as caramel and is a bit more faint in oak than I'd prefer.

M: Literally perfect for an imperial stout, to my taste. The fullest of silky, creamy smooth bodies coats the mouth.

O: Rich, hearty, delicious, and impossible to find. Just barely overrated (it isn't really a 100, but then again they inflate ratings on this website, which is unnecessary and stupid). Recommended? If you can find it. I feel my luck may have reached the apex of it's potential given that such an odd way of coming upon a taste of this beer was the result of layer upon layer of sheer happenstance. But enough about me. This beer is amazing.

02-11-2013 07:49:33 | More by BierJager89
AgentMunky

4.58/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a small snifter from a growler of unknown provenance. Thanks stranger at the bar.

A: Completely dark. No head. Some clinging lace.

S: Rich, deep, dark bourbon, flat malt and stale yeast. A little like an old ale. The barrel aging seems to have mellowed all aspects but heightened the sweetness. Slightly pungent alcohol.

T/M: Absolutely fucking luxurious. It envelops the mouth the way silk sheets might cradle an emperor. The Double Cream Stout sweetness shines and is accentuated by the bourbon barrels, but the darker, bitterer anise and dark chocolate and hints of creamy coffee from Expedition Stout are also noticeable. I don't even miss the carbonation because this beer is so full and sexy and caressing. The aftertaste is dry and more bitter than the rest of the beer.

O: This is truly magnificent and I cannot overstate how thrilled I am to finally try it. Definitely recommended. Best bourbon barrel aged beer I've had.

02-11-2013 05:02:41 | More by AgentMunky
codysjb

4.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Bells Black Note
Poured from a growler into my CCB sniffer.
A: Black as motor oil, low viscosity unlike BCBS. Very good lacing, small head when poured.
S: Chocolate, molasses and coffee notes with an overall bourbon smell.
T:Thick, lots of coffee up front that leaves a nice bourbon flavor on the end.
M: An overall bourbon flavor that coats the mouth.
O: An excellent beer. I think I prefer BCBS (especially when its been aged out a bit and its much easier to get than Bells BN), but pretty amazing.

01-08-2013 05:13:44 | More by codysjb
ehammond1

Growler

Acquired via trade
Thanks, Shilt!

Black throughout and thick in body. A very small hint of a head consisting of very smell dark brown bubbles. Very little visible carbonation, but still a menacingly appropriate, beautiful, thick barrel-aged stout. It just looks right.

The aroma is incredible. Big, layered notes of chocolate abound, along with rich, expressive, espresso and subdued bourbon. There's a hint of an alcohol kick but it's tame considering this beer's ABV. There's some mellowed bourbon notes as well, but the chocolate and coffee are quite dominant.

The flavor is boldly expressive; it's an incredible combination of chocolates, espresso, cream, vanilla, and integrated bourbon. The alcohol is present but not distracting. Remarkably drinkable.

Full in body. Creamy. Decadent. Rich.

I had 2 10 oz. pours and was regretting not drinking more. But, hey, sharing is caring. Amazing stuff, and very generous of Shilt to get it out my way. Thanks, again!

12-14-2012 23:54:04 | More by ehammond1
mgp2675

4.25/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks to Mscarpen for this growler, great trader, can't say enough about him. Drank this side to side with the base beers that make up Black Note: Expedition Stout and Special Double Cream Stout.

A- Black as night. Not much of a head on it, fades away pretty quickly.

S- When I took the cap off the growler I smelled it just for the heck of it and even the cap smelled like straight vanilla. No surprise the aroma had lots of vanilla in it, with the bourbon characteristic that's so typical of a good BA stout. Has a hint of oatmeal in the aroma as well.

T- Great bourbon presence, the bourbon and vanilla stand out as the two main flavors. It's a little sweet but not overpowering at all...just right. It has a little bit of a bitter dark chocolate taste to it, and definitely some coffee and burnt notes in the aftertaste. Bell's says you should pick up some dark fruits in here but I'm not getting any. It has a little bit of that lactic taste to it from the cream stout base but not a lot. That adds to it nicely. The alcohol is extremely well hidden. This might be the most vanilla I've ever had in a beer.

M- Creamy, like I said it gets some of that lactic taste/feel from the cream stout. It's nice and think, low carbonation.

O- When Black Note bottles came out earlier this year I swore I wouldn't give my cellar away for it cause some of the reviews I was reading weren't too great. Maybe this beer is a lot different on tap or maybe I just disagree with those reviews but this is a very good BA stout. It's got that chewy feel to it that I always look for, very smooth, good flavors from the barrel aging, balanced, and gets better as it warms up. There's nothing distinct about this that blows me away but it's really good, and definitely worth a try if this is your thing.

09-29-2012 04:33:30 | More by mgp2675
smokeypeat

Maryland

4.53/5  rDev -0.4%

Once again the power of the central PA/SEPA beer market comes through and I finally get to try Black Note.

Pours a jet black into the goblet with a light coffee tan head that quickly disappeared leaving just the slightest head. Some alcohol legs on the glass.

The smell on this one is up there. Rich vanilla bourbon with some great hints of toasted coconut. Fainter hints of toffee and light tobacco.

Taste is as good as I hoped for. The base beer here really holds up well to the bourbon treatment. Plenty of roasted coffee notes, bakers dark chocolate, and a dash of anise. The bourbon adds a great interplay of vanilla, caramel, toffee, and woody oak. No one aspect of the beer dominates but there is a great mixture of a lot of my favorite flavors.

Mouthfeel on this beer really worked for me. I don't know if it's because it was on tap or not, but I found the carbonation level to be perfect. The beer was extremely creamy and really easy to drink, and the alcohol was perfectly masked.

All in all, Black Note lived up to the hype for me. I was fortunate to get a whole growler, and frankly it seems like an embarrassment of riches. Everyone who got a pour of this agreed that it was top notch. I would definitely go out of my way to get this beer again.

09-10-2012 20:44:23 | More by smokeypeat
Tucquan

4.15/5  rDev -8.8%

Had this on 2012-09-08 in Columbia, PA

A - India ink black with a tan-brown short head with light lacing and lots of alcohol legs.

S - Bourbon, dark fruit, oak tannin, roasted malt. Very big aroma that's heavily on the bourbon side.

T - Bourbon, medium roasted malt, dark cherry, plum, prune, coconut and a touch of umami, and black licorice (not my favorite flavor). Fairly sweet but balanced with some astringent and hop bitterness. I definitely get the influence of the Expedition Stout. Alcohol is quite noticeable but generally blends in and supports the sweetness.

M - Medium-heavy body and light carbonation.

O - Big, big flavors for sure. Didn't quite float my boat as some other Imperial Stouts. For example, I prefer Founders KBS over this for a bourbon-influenced brew. I had this a few hours after having it on-tap. The only difference is there was no head at all from the growler but there was a bit of head on-tap. It wasn't that much of a difference to take points off for the appearance since you don't expect much of a head at this high ABV level.

09-08-2012 18:43:08 | More by Tucquan
FosterJM

4.3/5  rDev -5.5%

1023rd Review on BA
Growler to Snifter

Thanks to MrHirschybar for this tick!

App- A very inky black pour out of the growler with only a few bubbles but no color to them. Sadly I feel that this was the end of the line for this grolwer but Steve was gracious enough to save me enough to make a go of it. No cling or lace but very creamy and dense in my snifter.

Smell- Across the board it was a bit thin from sitting but thats okay. It was nicely aromatic with notes from the bourbon and a bit of creamy chocolate but didnt smell overly grainy or small. A little bit of creeping vanilla on a big pull with a slight roast note.

Taste- Still very bourbon forward out of the growler that was on its final leg. Much more smooth than I would have thought as expedition was a bit grainy for me. The double cream blend makes this really nice. A lot of cream comes on the final flavors with a bit more vanilla which was a welcome suprise.

Mouth- As the growler is closing this did lose a little bit on the feel. I felt it was a bit thin to me with a good low/medium carbonation with just touches of airiness to it. A little bit of bourbon, booze and vanilla remain on the palate.

Drink- A very good stout that was treated well and blended very well. I think this one would do well being on tap for me or a fresher bottle. STILL, I will capitalize that one. I cant thank MrHirschybar enough for being a great BA and friend to make this one last for me. I recommend him as a trader and this beer to all.

01-03-2012 01:13:11 | More by FosterJM
normyk

4.72/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to urbancaver for bringing this to a tasting - long time want of mine.

It pours black with light head - oily looking as expected. The nose has a lot of expedition in it tempered with a nice smooth bourbon backing. The bourbon comes through nicely in the taste as well smoothing out the rough edges of the expo and not bringing too much butter to the party. There is some nice chocolate and coffee as well and it all comes together nicely. Balanced and tasty. Smooth in the mouth, just right on the carbonation with just a hint of heat. Expo is one of my standby beers so I've been dying to try this and it did not disappoint. Very damn good.

10-08-2011 15:07:23 | More by normyk
BeerAndBourbon

4.3/5  rDev -5.5%

A. Pours black with a small creamy tan head that leaves small bits of residual lacing.

S. dark chocolate, vanilla, oak, bourbon,

T. tons of espresso, dark chocolate, bourbon

M. Big creamy thick body with nice carbonation, a touch harsh

D. quite bitter with lots of dark chocolate and espresso notes. Very good, but a bit disappointing from what I was expecting.

10-08-2011 14:55:25 | More by BeerAndBourbon
Urbancaver

4.53/5  rDev -0.4%

Thank you thank you to my special friend for this one...

Pours a pitch black wih some nice white head. Looks pretty. Well carbonated. Smells rich and chocolatey. Buttery bourbon and a nice roastiness. The aroma is top notch. Tastes Roasty. Lots of expo not so much double special cream. The taste is a bit bitter from the roast. Good solid mouthfeel. Well carbonated. Overall solid but a bit to roug around the edges.

10-08-2011 14:46:23 | More by Urbancaver
brew3crew

Tasting at Jackie O's. Out of a hand bottle

A-black body with tan head that sticks around for a while

S-sweet bourbon vanilla. Absolutely incredible

T-great blend of smoothness vanilla and bourbon. Definetly worth the buzz

M-medium body and smooth

O-absolutely brilliant. I know know what the buzz is about

10-08-2011 14:41:39 | More by brew3crew
Arbitrator

3.5/5  rDev -23.1%

Growler supplied by eyebrews and generously shared at the Pliny the Younger release. Sampled from a tasting glass. From notes.

A: Pours motor oil black, opaque in the center but lightly translucent at the edges. I have no idea about the history of this growler, but it was taped well, opened with a hiss, and there were clearly bubbles (dark mocha) on the brew. Retention was short. Promising.

S: Pretty bourbon-forward. Dark chocolate, vanilla, molasses. Anise and some booze.

T: Bourbon and chocolate are pretty evident. Anise, vanilla, molasses. The finish was hot and slightly harsh. I kept expecting more from the flavor; I picked up a lot of the barrel character, but not much of the Expedition or Cream Stout.

M: Silky, rich. Hard to criticize Bell's beers on mouthfeel, most of the time, but their barrel aging here leaves a lot to be desired: the beer is fairly hot and tannic.

D: I liked the beer, but I'm not convinced this is one of the top examples of the barrel-aged imperial stout "style." It's above-average, but nothing to give up the cellar for.

02-21-2010 07:56:24 | More by Arbitrator
HopHead84

3.78/5  rDev -16.9%

Shared by largadeer on 11/06/2009 and poured into a snifter. Thanks Chris! The beer is black with a wispy light brown head. Retention is decent and lacing is scattered.

The nose is of dark chocolate, vanilla, and prominent molasses. The chocolate has a fudge-like quality and licorice presence is strong. Booze and anise are evident. Nice rich nose.

The flavor is licorice, molasses, fudge, and dark chocolate. As the beer warms, the licorice becomes increasingly powerful. The finish is alcoholic and somewhat harsh. Molasses and licorice eventually overwhelm the other flavors. The beer is full bodied with a thick and slightly syrupy mouthfeel. I enjoyed the nose, but the taste had too much licorice and molasses for me. I was enamored for the first couple ounces, but I quickly became disenchanted

11-13-2009 02:41:55 | More by HopHead84
DefenCorps

Oregon

Thanks, Chris!

Jet black, rather hysterically so, this beer is blacker than OA Dark Lord. There's a thin, tan head that recedes to a ring rather rapidly

The nose is a pretty excellent combination of licorice, molasses, bourbon and vanilla. I'm not picking up much Double Cream character. Dark chocolate, fudge and a touch of alcohol is present in the back. This mostly smells like what I'd expect BA Expedition to smell like.

Opens with plenty of licorice, molasses and vanilla, there's some bourbon character. Very, very intense, this is almost harsh. There's some dark chocolate mid palate but the finish is disappointing, with the flavors vanishing, leaving just a bitter licorice finish. Full in body with low carbonation, the flavors are great, but the intensity of the licorice is not much to my liking. While I did drink my 4oz, I'm glad I got to try this without having to give up the farm.

11-11-2009 00:24:43 | More by DefenCorps
nickd717

4.7/5  rDev +3.3%

Hand bottle shared by largadeer - thanks a lot for sharing this rarity, Chris!

A - Pours pitch black with a small, frothy brown head.

S - Amazing aroma of bourbon, vanilla, coffee with cream, and rich chocolate. Some slight -bal notes. The smell of well-crafted beers of this type is seriously one of my favorite smells in the world.

T - Roast and creamy coffee, lots of vanilla and bourbon balanced by an awesome, thick, intense base stout with loads of chocolate, and hint of anise, and some date and raisin notes. Yes, it is awesome. This is definitely up near the top impy stouts I've ever had.

M - Incredibly creamy, smooth, and full palate with soft carbonation. Not really any astringency from the coffee, and not very boozy, especially after it warms up.

D - Pretty high for a bourbon -bal aged imperial stout. I know a lot of people can't stomach much of this type of beer, but I could get through a bomber by myself easily.

10-14-2009 19:40:04 | More by nickd717
largadeer

3.75/5  rDev -17.6%

Big thanks to stfun37 for this one.

Black in the glass with a tiny dark brown head that rapidly recedes to a ring.

The aroma is woody and earthy, with a backbone of bittersweet chocolate. Boozy bourbon is present but more subtle than I was expecting, and sweetness is very reserved. Expedition's unmistakable burnt licorice/molasses character shines through with surprising strength here.

The taste is impressively complex; licorice up front, burnt whole grain bread, bakers chocolate, tobacco, vanilla and light earthiness. Medium-bodied without much sweetness. Hot bourbon flavors come through more in the finish, along with woody tannins, strong burnt bitterness and lingering espresso.

This was a pretty interesting beer. The Double Cream Stout and -bal aging have helped tame Expedition's harshness, but not as much as I would have liked. Still enjoyable, but not as remarkable as I was expecting.

10-14-2009 19:14:32 | More by largadeer
craytonic

District of Columbia

4.78/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Near perfect for the style.

Smell: Deliciousness? Bourbon, cream, molasses, brown sugar, dates, figs. Perfect integration of bourbon and cream, typically it doesn't work out.

Taste: Bourbon, cream, dark sweet chocolate, sweet molasses, brown sugar, oak, vanilla, figs and dates. A bit of a hot chocolate element, also marshmallows, almost like a smore. Wow this is good stuff.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly creamy, rich and smooth.

Drinkability: Best imperial stout I have ever tasted. This one lives up to the hype. Wish I had a barrel of this. This stuff kills bourbon-barrel and vanilla-bean dark lord. Only a few minor imperfections with the malt keep this from being fives across the board. If you see how I rate other beers of this style you will realize how good this one really is.

08-25-2009 14:23:12 | More by craytonic
ralflord

Connecticut

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Enjoying this with a buddy. Holy moly! Unbeliveably black with no head. The smell was creamy, vanilla, and bourbony. It made me think of what heaven would be like. The mixture was perfect, the blended beers complimenting each other like a great rythym section. Coltrane's Impulse years comes to mind. The beer finished incredibly strong, with a sublime taste that will rest on my palate for a long time. This is an all-time great beer. If you have the means I highly suggest you try it. It is so choice.

07-14-2009 01:58:10 | More by ralflord
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.8/5  rDev +5.5%

I cannot believe I was actually able to land this beer. Persistence pays off people! Much thanks to the wonderful man from Kentucky who grabbed me a small growler of this one earlier in the week and rushed it right down to me. Chilled down in the fridge and then immediatly decanted into a pint glass. This one was consumed on 06/26/2009.

The pour was as dark and inky black as one could possibly get. Amazing this thing looked like a black hole. A very small little puff of tan came up over the top and settled down very quickly leaving the top nearly bare with just a touch of lacing. The there was the aroma. Tons of molasses and bourbon that was laced with huge notes of vanilla and coffee. A hint of licorice maybe? Possibly dark fruit but simply amazing and intense but that was nothing compared to what I was in for when I took that first elusive sip. It was on now. Big. Full bodied, thoroughly coating and amazing flavor. Nearly the perfect balance of hot bourbon, rich milk chocolate and coffee all hit you up front. But as it warms it morphs on you, prune like flavors, hints of maybe some grapes like tartness overlay the vanilla from the barrel and make it a sublime finish that literally seemed to get sweeter with every sip.

Overall I am not gonna lie, this one kicked my butt! It was an supreme joy to drink, but it is strong. Taken in context though, I could have sipped on this at the end of the night, every night. It was simply divine. Much thanks again for getting to try this, it was worth the wait and one of the best tasting stouts I have ever come across.

06-27-2009 12:12:40 | More by mikesgroove
LongBeachHopHead

4.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Served out of a Growler traded for Pliny the Younger.

A: Dark, rich and very inviting. Not much head at all. Very viscous and chewy looking.

S: A barrage of bourbon, vanilla, roasted goodness. This beer smells amazing.

T: What a great brew. This beer has tons of bourbon notes, the vanilla is very strong and sweet. The only beer that I can say comes close to it, that I have tried, is Firestone 12. This pretty much blows it away though. I think it's the greatest tasting Bourbon Barrel aged beer I've ever had. For being a huge hophead, this might be my favorite beer ever. I am glad that Reed415 decided to trade with me; thank you!!! Clapping, hand shaking and jumping 8 feet off the ground go through my mind.

M: Mouthfeel is thick and covers the palate in all great ways. Velvety smooth and the alcohol (10%?) is apparent but helps to define the beer so it's not a bad thing. You almost don't want to swallow it for a few seconds because the taste and texture is so awesome.

D: I would love to drink this all the time but unfortunately this one is pretty rare. If it ever comes out in bottles, I'll buy/trade for tons of it if I can. I think the drinkability is a little low because of the richness of it. It took me a good two hours to finish a tulip of it.

We shared this at Beachwood BBQ and everyone seemed to have liked it. I even gave some to one of the line chefs and he loved it. In all, this is one of my favorite beers of all time. Thanks Bell's for brewing such a masterpiece and thank rallison for driving the Younger growler down from Santa Rosa and BrewbakerE and Merritt for filling it. It took a lot to get this.

02-28-2009 01:29:49 | More by LongBeachHopHead
rallison

4.63/5  rDev +1.8%

Thank you Glenn for cracking this incredible growler.

Super bourbon vanilla in the nose. Chocolate. Awesome.

Rich, rich chocolate and bourbon in the taste. Incredible. Smooth as butter.

Amazingly drinkable beer. Wow. Low carbonation but perfect for this beer.

One of the best beers i have had in a long time. Once again, thank you Glenn for opening such an incredible beer.

02-27-2009 08:33:16 | More by rallison
tmoneyba

4.43/5  rDev -2.6%

Growler sample from shigadeyo.

Poured a black color with a moderate creamy brown head that diminished slowly and produced sticky legs and fair lacing.

Good roasted malt, licorice and woody bourbon aroma.

Full body with a smooth texture.

Complex sweet stout flavor with a smooth bourbon woody finish.

Very well balanced complex barrel stout.

This is a standout beer.

01-28-2009 21:20:03 | More by tmoneyba
egajdzis

4.63/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured an opaque black color with a thin, tan head that left light lacing on the glass. Aroma of bourbon, raisins, buttercream, lactose, vanilla, cognac, smoke, and marshmallow (almost s'more like). Taste of dry roasted malts, more smoke, bourbon, vanilla, caramel, chocolate, a bit of lactose, and faint alcohol, with a super-creamy mouthfeel. Thanks to Chris for this!

11-10-2008 00:32:28 | More by egajdzis
Bell's Black Note Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.