Bell's Black Note Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Black Note StoutBell's Black Note Stout

Wants: 2,512
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.40% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 06-16-2007

One of the most sought-after stouts in Bell's history, Black Note Stout blends the complex aromatics of Expedition Stout with the velvety smooth texture of Double Cream Stout and ages the combination in freshly retired oak bourbon barrels for months. The resulting harmony of flavors captures the finest features of all three components: malty notes of dark chocolate, espresso & dried fruits, all buoyed by the warmth and fragrance of the bourbon barrel. Aimed squarely at the stout and bourbon aficionados, Black Note makes a grand statement about the art of the dark.
Reviews: 543 | Hads: 3,642
4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

Draft (x2) at City Taphouse during Philly Beer Week.

Pours super dark brown with the slightest hints of ruby in the light. No head whatsoever.

Aroma was big thick chocolate and vanilla dominating the nose, with some hints of molasses and oak. I couldn't get much fruit on the nose, but i felt like there was something there.

Flavor was a super sweet big thick dessert drink. I didn't think i'd get through 3 oz. let alone a whole glass, but the flavor was so incredible I had no problems...and then I went back and got another. Vanilla, molasses, chocolate and some roasted cashews on the finish.

Did I mention that this was big and thick?

Overall, incredible, but not even sure it was in my top 10 beers of Philly Beer Week. (730 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

On Tap at the City Tap House for their 31 flavors of Bell's event for Philly Beer Week, I love this city!

Black note came to me looking black like night with a bubbly thin layered dark tan milkshake head. Some rough patches of lace on the way down, nice considering the barrel aging.

Smells is of dark bakers chocolate, dark fruit, plums, and some vinious qualities in the back. Sweet roasty notes, cream for your coffee with some coffee as well. The bourbon, while not overly huge is a welcomed guest.

Black Note tastes like you think it will, delish. Dark chocolate, semi bitterseet, cocco powder, A light splash of roasted coffee beans, lucious sweet malt roasty malt. A dark fruit component from the expo, a vanilla creamy vibe from the DCB. Some mollasses along with the sweet vanilla are welcome. A nice amount of bourbon from a great barrel that's not all that boozy.

I gotta say, this is the smoothest BA beer that I've had for a while. Smooth, creamy, easy, a steady slope. While the alcohol seeps in a bit, this is not hot in any way. The way this went down after 20 minutes in the glass brings tears to my eyes.

It's big beer, but i found myself taking bigger gulps than usual for a stout. Much smoother as time passes and temps rise, easy drinking, just be careful, it will get ya. Another treat during beer week. I knew this beer would be a winner ever since I heard about it. (1,394 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

10oz pour at city taphouse bell's event

A: Deep brown/black body. One finger dark khaki head that held for some time after the pour. Spotty lacing.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, sweet cream, molasses, roasted malts and dark fruits. Complex and well layered. Nothing really overpowers the other elements.

T: Nice blend of boozy-goodness and sweet, dessert like malts. Warm bourbon is present from the first drop. Sweet milk chocolate, cream, molasses, caramel, a little roasted coffee, vanilla and some figs.

M: Thick, full bodied and viscous. Low carbonation, but appropriate. A bit boozy, but not overbearingly hot. Nice lingering sweetness.

D: At first it was fairly easy drinking considering the thickness, but the beer eventually slowed down for me. This was likely the result of the underlying sweetness. A very nice beer, that is a bit different than the other big stouts out there. Thanks to Bell's and City Taphouse for the fun event. (950 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had this one at City Tap House, 6/7/10.

A-Pours deep black, a bit oily with a very dark mocha head and some pretty good lacing.

S-Outstanding. Caramel, rich dark chocolate, a nice whiff of bourbony vanilla.

T-Warm, rich and sweet from the start. A bourbon sweet note to begin, along with some alcohol warmth, then milk chocolate and sweet cream kick in before a warming finish.

M-A bit heavy in body but a joy to drink.

D-Delicious, though one at a sitting is certainly plenty.

HV (486 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours deep, dark black with minimal head. Scent is filled with booze with touches of roasted coffee, bittersweet chocolate, roasted nuts, dark dried fruit, vanilla. Taste is of young, fresh, high grade burbon backed with aggressive roast flavors, touch of sweet cream and vanilla, molasses, brown sugar, smoke. Full bodied, not quite oily, strong aftertaste. A great beer that is on eof the few booze bombs that hold up well. A sipper for sure. (444 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Had on tap at City Tap House's Bell's 31 event.

Black, no head (ordered it from a waiter so it had time to settle) smells like bread, chocolate and Jack daniels.
Taste is sweet (chocolate, caramel, maybe vanilla too) but not overwhelming. The bourbon is present and not
overwhelming as well except for the quick buzz I'm getting. More
viscous and somewhat flat than carbonated. A bit of a hop bitterness noticeable. A fine dessert.
Good but definitely a sipper. I had to work on this over an hour + while sampling others. A fine example of a bourbon aged product. (567 characters)

4.48/5  rDev -0.2%

On tap at city tap house. 31 bells beers, looks like I've got my work cut out for me. Got one with my main squeeze katie.

A- blackalicous and capped with a finger of coffee and cream colored head. Coats the glass beautifully. Legs for days, this dames got steams.

S- tons of milk chocolate, caoco powder, and sweet cream. Roasty and toasty with some oak and bourbon.

T- oh boy! Opens up with all the rich veinous qualities with port wine, dark chocolate and over ripe black berries. Wood and bourbon with some vanilla and black strap molasses. Plums, dates, raisins all the dark fruits. I keep coming back around and finding new levels of complexity.

M- thick and chewy with some slick and stick. Perfect carb, just enough to lift it all up but not too much that it doesn't stay on the palate for the right amount of time. Bliss.

D- well for a brew of this stature and abv this is as drinkable as it gets. I love it in so many ways. (942 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

Absolutely thrilled to have a 10 oz. pour of this beast during Darkness Eve & never got around to getting my brief notes into the com-pooter.

Black. Dead, no bubbles, ready-to-be-cremated black. Smell is heavy, sweet malts with a whuppin' stick of bourbon. Boozy & rich as all get-out.

AEDCB is one to hunt down, because it's a brew at the top of its game. Usually I'm not as wild about the bourbon-screaming beers (ala BCS) but for some reason it just works here. Perhaps it's my love for the Expy Stout, & the rock-solid base brews it's founded on, but the vanilla & oak that rocket out of the dead pool of black give me pause, then make me happy. Good brownie batter would describe the taste & consistency to some extent, along with a blast of alcohol that doesn't seem out of place. Malts are in there I'm sure. Tastes a lot more like Expy, I don't sense anything Creamed about this, not even in the mouthfeel, perhaps it was overwhelmed by everything else going on.

Excellent beer. I don't know how Stubs landed this one, but if it ever happens again, I'll be there. And if I hadn't needed to get up for Darkness Day, I'd have had multiples. Bell's knows how to do big right! (1,185 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

Sampled at the '10 MBGWF. Black oily pour with a small brown head. Mild and even oak and bourbon notes with some lactose sweetness and lots vanilla. Chocolaty dark fruit background. Very full and creamy body with soft carbonation. Very nicely balanced beer with out over the top barrel aging. (292 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours beautiful pitch black letting no light through whatsoever. Head is just a sim of carmel brown fuzz that is barely there. Nose is of very good whiskey, carmel, toffee and a bit of vanilla. Kind of hard to fully enjoy from a 5-oz. pour sample glass, that is why I had two 5-oz. pours just to be sure. On first sip the whiskey is very up front but soft, well presented and very smooth just like your favorite bourbon whiskey. Layers of caramelized malt roll all over the tongue with such sweetness. Toffee mixes with a nice hop character on the backside that is a bit rustic and nicely drying. Finishes with a mouthfeel that is full, smooth yet very clean and enjoyable. This is my kind of stout, big, rich, with a nice whiskey profile. (739 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -21.6%

Growler supplied by eyebrews and generously shared at the Pliny the Younger release. Sampled from a tasting glass. From notes.

A: Pours motor oil black, opaque in the center but lightly translucent at the edges. I have no idea about the history of this growler, but it was taped well, opened with a hiss, and there were clearly bubbles (dark mocha) on the brew. Retention was short. Promising.

S: Pretty bourbon-forward. Dark chocolate, vanilla, molasses. Anise and some booze.

T: Bourbon and chocolate are pretty evident. Anise, vanilla, molasses. The finish was hot and slightly harsh. I kept expecting more from the flavor; I picked up a lot of the barrel character, but not much of the Expedition or Cream Stout.

M: Silky, rich. Hard to criticize Bell's beers on mouthfeel, most of the time, but their barrel aging here leaves a lot to be desired: the beer is fairly hot and tannic.

D: I liked the beer, but I'm not convinced this is one of the top examples of the barrel-aged imperial stout "style." It's above-average, but nothing to give up the cellar for. (1,073 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Had this at the world record Bell's tapping in Indianapolis.

Poured a black body with little head. It smelled very sweet and chocolatey. I loved the smell of this brew and the way it looked and hoped the taste could match.

The taste was sweet, rich, and full of complex flavors! MMM chocolate, creamy, and cherry flavors were all so well balanced!

I would LOVE to have more of this!

Overall, a GREAT brew and one I hope gets bottled!

Cheers! (446 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +8%

This beer if bottled would be in my fridge constantly.
I texted my friend from the bar that I was drinking the best beer ever.

A: dark, thin tan head. It looked browner than some black stouts, like it was just happy tasting great that it didn't need to be black as night.

s: rich, creamy smell, obviously bb aged.

T: So Good. Everything was in perfect balance. Rich malts make this beer sweet, the barrels have given the beer vanilla notes, and bourbon. It's perfect, it was worth 8 dollars.

M & D: This beer was so smooth, the alchohol wasn't even a thought going down. I'd drink 3 or 4 if had them at home... please mr Bell, bottle this. (644 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

sampled on tap at hopcat jan 22/2010 as part of their 2nd annual extreme beer fest. listed as Black Note, which i understand to be the new name for this BA blend.

pours inky black and nearly opaque, but holding it to the light you can see that it is crystal clear at its thinnest point. a thin ultra-fine dark brown head forms, dropping fairly fast and leaving a bunch of fine lace behind.

aroma is great. bourbon. light vanilla. anise. dark and milk chocolate. coffee. medium toast whole wheat bread and biscuit. dark fruit. hints of earth. nice depth.

taste is amazing. vanilla and bourbon. bit of butterscotch. caramel and toffee. dark and milk chocolate. bit of bittersweet chocolate too. toasted multi-grain bread and biscuit. touch of cracker. lightly warming alcohol. nice light fruity component that works great with the barrel and stouty character.

mouthfeel is great. nice big body. silky smooth super fine medium-low carbonation level.

drinkability is excellent. big and complex yet drinkable as hell. it doesn't seem near 11% and i think i could sip on this all night. great stuff! (1,098 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -6.2%

Had this at Stub & Herbs on Darkness Eve. They had one hell of a stout lineup that night and between this brew and Bell's Rye Stout, they were the best. Drank from a small 7oz sampling glass. Taken from notes on phone.

Appearance- Pours a pitch ass black with basically no head, no cap or collar or lacing.
Smell- The first thing that jumps out at me is the immediate rush of vanilla that meets my nostrils. The oak is very noticeable but not the dominate nasal trait. Sort of boozy as well but plenty of Tootsie Roll milk chocolate and a raw cocoa nib scent. Maybe a touch of molasses and caramel as well.
Taste- Starts very slightly sweet with a browny batter like chocolaty fudge. The brew is very intense and sort of concentrated with plenty of oak and vanilla. I don't really get much of the Cream Stout as I think the wood and Expedition just dominate. Some light caramel and toffee sit in middle as the beer finishes with some light molasses and brown sugar. Like the nose, the alcohol is noticeable but not devastatingly harsh. Loads of vanilla and nuts in the warm finish.
Mouthfeel- Not the biggest feel in the world but considering all things involved not bad. Somewhere around medium with a light carbonation that you have to search for. Slick warming feel.
Drinkability- The beer is huge in flavor and smell but a bit lacking in the feel and looks department. But I could drink this thing all day. It's like drinking a chocolate covered peanut and caramel truffle. Really nice beer that I'm really glad I got to try. Keep up the good work John! (1,558 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -14.9%

Shared by largadeer on 11/06/2009 and poured into a snifter. Thanks Chris! The beer is black with a wispy light brown head. Retention is decent and lacing is scattered.

The nose is of dark chocolate, vanilla, and prominent molasses. The chocolate has a fudge-like quality and licorice presence is strong. Booze and anise are evident. Nice rich nose.

The flavor is licorice, molasses, fudge, and dark chocolate. As the beer warms, the licorice becomes increasingly powerful. The finish is alcoholic and somewhat harsh. Molasses and licorice eventually overwhelm the other flavors. The beer is full bodied with a thick and slightly syrupy mouthfeel. I enjoyed the nose, but the taste had too much licorice and molasses for me. I was enamored for the first couple ounces, but I quickly became disenchanted (804 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -10.5%

Thanks, Chris!

Jet black, rather hysterically so, this beer is blacker than OA Dark Lord. There's a thin, tan head that recedes to a ring rather rapidly

The nose is a pretty excellent combination of licorice, molasses, bourbon and vanilla. I'm not picking up much Double Cream character. Dark chocolate, fudge and a touch of alcohol is present in the back. This mostly smells like what I'd expect BA Expedition to smell like.

Opens with plenty of licorice, molasses and vanilla, there's some bourbon character. Very, very intense, this is almost harsh. There's some dark chocolate mid palate but the finish is disappointing, with the flavors vanishing, leaving just a bitter licorice finish. Full in body with low carbonation, the flavors are great, but the intensity of the licorice is not much to my liking. While I did drink my 4oz, I'm glad I got to try this without having to give up the farm. (901 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Review from notes I took at All Stout's Day.

A- Poured a nice oily black color. Small 1/2 finger mocha/tan colored head. Little lacing on the sides of the glass that just slid back down into the beer. Makes my mouth drool!

S- Like some others said it was muted when first served to me. I let it warm up a little while I sipping on the Oatmeal Stout and then came back to it. Wonderful roasted malts right in the forefront of this beer which I was a little afraid might be pushed back with other aromas. There were some oak and vanilla notes that came and went along with a light bourbon presence. Some chocolate came through a little more than the others mentioned. The alcohol was there but nothing overpowering. It almost smelled just like a Dark Lord dare I say.

T- Good big roasted flavor right off the bat mixes well with a light bourbon and oak middle. There was a light vanilla flavor that I picked up more and more once I drank it. The middle and the end of this beer was a little more creamy and chocolate notes ran freely. The alcohol was there but it was not messing with the overall flavors in the beer. Big tastes in this beer.

M- Heavy mouthfeel. I personally thought the carbonation was a little bit weak on this and could have used a little more. The beer needed a little help rushing across the palate but made its way in a roasted bourbony sweetness fashion. Nice clean afterflavors that enhance the entire drinking of this beer.

D- This beer is very drinkable even with the higher ABV. I couldn't get enough of it when I was at Bell's. I am glad I got to try this and it really was worth the hype that it had. (1,634 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

I was very excited to have this on tap at Bell's All Stouts Day on 11/1/09 known as Black Note and weighs in at 11% ABV.

I had two 8 oz. pours of this delicous brew, but I'll do my review off of my first pour which was into a small 8 oz. snifter.

Black Note pour a deep black with a thin tan head that dissipated quickly. Smells of bourban, wood, chocolate, vanilla and roasted malt dominate the nose. I will say that the nose definetly improves as the beer warms. It was actually a bit difficult to smell all the subtle details when the beer was cold, but as it warms the smell does really shine through. The taste is amazing, a great blend here to be sure as the sweet, sharp molasses charector of the Expo stout is balances perfectly by the creamy smooth mouthfeel of the double cream stout. Flavors up front are of chocolate, wood, vanilla and molasses with hints of lactose sweetness. The finish is dominated by a sweet chocolate, bourban flavor. The layors of this stout are quit impressive and for 11% this is sooo drinkable. On a cold winter day I could drink this all day with out one regret. I feel very fortunate to have been able to try this beer as I know supplies are running very low, but I have to say that this is one of the best blended, barrel aged stout combinations that I have ever had. I think to myself this is such a great idea by Larry and the guys at Bell's I wish they would do a second batch because this beer makes me happy to be alive...well worth the drive and the wait. (1,504 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours black with a small tan head.

Scent of sweet molasses, oak, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, roasted malts, and sugars. The oak and bourbon characters do not overpower here, probably one of the most balanced scents in a barrel aged beers I have come across.

Taste of chocolate, bourbon, roasted malts, molasses, dark fruit, oak, and smoke. Similarly with the scent, this has a nice balance between the base beer and the bourbon barrel.

Mouthfeel is medium heavy bodied and smooth with low carbonation. (505 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -8.5%

Darkness Eve, 7oz pour. The second beer I tried so the palate was rather fresh still...anything after this one need not count. First off this thing blew the shit out of the last regular Expedition I remember drinking, maybe my palate is indifferent to that beer.

A: Great looking beer even next to the multitude of dark beers around it, this one retained a great head that was glorious and made it's identification a little easier. Good lacing on the small glass. Glorious.

S: Not heave on the bourbon surprisingly, but roasted and toasted slight sweet goodness.

T: Big on the oak indeed, got hints of bourbon, somewhat of a chocolate sweetness that pales in comparison to the GI Night Stalker I had before it. The finish is dry with some coffee like bitterness.

M: Thick n creamy, can't complain here.

D: Damn good stout, would drink again. (846 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On-tap at Stub N Herbs Pre-Darkness Day Party. Ordered two 7oz pours of this, because I wanted to make sure I had a couple before the keg blew.

A - Pours black with a thin tan head. Even though there's only a small ring of head around the edge of the glass, there's a good amount of lacing draped along the sides.

S - Sweet chocolate, roasted malts, caramel, light bourbon, some oak/wood. As it warmed up (and I made it to my second glass), things picked up even more.

T - Just outstanding! Lots of sweet milk chocolate mixed with the perfect amount of bourbon. Much like drinking chocolate syrup mixed with a kick of bourbon and some expresso beans.

M - Not quite as think as I was expecting, but doesn't detract much at all from this beer. Very little carbonation, just right for the style.

D - Glad I was able to get two of these because who knows if I'll ever have the chance to try this one again. Easy to drink for the style, but obviously I can only drink so many before I'd fall over. (997 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

Had this for my first beer at Stub and Herbs for Darkness Eve! I am very happy that I got to try it!

Pour was a 7 oz glass.

Color is a big oil black with tan head. No lace to to pour, but I am ok with that because there was more beer in the glass.

Aroma: Amazing. Bourbon, chocolate, roasted malts, earthy hops. Also has some cream flavors and vanilla notes with oak. Very robust and smooth. Wow it is good and I am ready to dive in.

Taste: Bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, oak, earthy hops. Very rich, robust and all around amazing taste. The bourbon is very warming in a good way. You can definitely tell it is there, but it doesn't wreck the beer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, rich. Full bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Ends pretty clean with a malty bourbon flavored aftertaste.

Overall, I love this beer and want more of it. I really hope Bells does this again, because it has to be one of my favorite beers of the style. Simply amazing and very drinkable! Well done! (982 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this rarity at Stub and Herb for the Darkness Day Eve celebration. 7 oz pour for a very affordable price!

Pitch black with a small ring of molasses colored head. Doesn't leave a ton of lacing.

The nose is bourbon, wood, vanilla, coffee and chocolate. Really well made beer.

Taste is pretty much spot on the nose. Bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, cream, coffee, chocolate, woody and earthy tones...just amazing. So smooth and easy going down but boy does it pack a punch of flavor.

Mouthfeel is thick and sticky, coating your mouth. Smooth and creamy, just awesome. Alcohol is completely hidden by the layers of flavor.

Drinkability is awesome. This 7 oz pour went way to fast, but by the time I realized it, the small keg was long gone. Very happy I got the chance to try this mammoth of a beer. This is excellent stuff. (825 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap @ Stub & Herb's for the Darkness Pre-Release Party.

Pours black with a thin, mocha head. This was served to me in a 7oz glass and the head was just about gone by the time it got to us.

Lots of woody and roastiness in the nose. Bourbony, vanilla and chocolate are all in here. This smells divine.

Even more barrel flavors come out in the taste. Bourbon, oak and dark fruit skins. Like a perfect milk chocolate bar. There's a creaminess to this that makes this just so damn enjoyable.

Of all the amazing beers we had that night, this was the one I made sure I remembered. I actually let my 7oz last near three hours as I wanted to see how it opened up. It just got better and better. What a beer! (705 characters)

Bell's Black Note Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.