Third Coast Beer - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Third Coast BeerThird Coast Beer

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002)
1.25/5  rDev -63.7%

mwbrady12, Jul 17, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -56.4%

MacStinson, Nov 17, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -55.5%

Probably good that I tried this one, since I otherwise was getting the impression that Bell's didn't make any bad beer.

Mostly it's just terribly mediocre, from folks who can do vastly better.

Pours from a 12 ounce bottle a bright straw yellow, limited head.

Aroma... is really tough. Honestly, it smells a little like fresh vomit. That makes it sound worse than it is, but I really can't get that idea out of my head each time I smell it.

Taste is bitter, a little harsh, acrid, and just not pleasant. Limited hops noticeable. A flat, slightly metallic grain aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is average to a little thin.

I suppose it's possible that I could have just gotten a bad bottle, but since I bought Two Hearted at the same time, and stored them the same way, it seems relatively unlikely.

Really blah stuff, bordering on bad. I definitely won't bother again, and I poured out about half the bottle. Back to the Two Hearted!

warmstorage, Sep 14, 2006

ChugMan, Jun 02, 2013

senorscientist, Jan 30, 2012

sourgrass, Aug 28, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -40.4%

A: Hazy light amber. Like every other beer ever.
S: Little to no smell. The slightest hints of floral.
T: Taste very watery with few flavors. A little bit of hops in there but really nothing to it.
M: Sits like water with a little too much carbonation.

Overall a really poor showing from Bells here. I think I see what they're getting at which is an easy drinking beer for the masses. They have succeeded at this but have sacrificed a lot in the process.

Jamesthebrit, Apr 12, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -39.5%

Looks like someone put Corona into a snow globe. Clear and straw gold, it's full of little floaties. Up top is a nice sized, bright white head with good retention and a sloppy lace. Unfortunately, it looks little different than something I can purchase 18 of for 12 bucks.

Grainy, rice-like, slightly floral. Think macro.

Is this a Budweiser?

See above. It's mostly got a chalky, bitter feel. Grainy and sour. Nothing resembling 'craft beer.'

Epic fail.

RickS95, Aug 31, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -38.1%

Third Coast pours a gold color with a large head. There is an offensive aroma that is similar to cat pee. The taste has a cat pee flavoring, with a strong cereal flavor. The taste is very light, and rather offensive. Overall this is an avoidable beer. Not too much good can be said.

vette2006c5r, Jan 01, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -37.5%

Appearance: This pours hazy yellow with a white head.
Aroma: The smell is slightly hoppy, with some dustiness to it
Flavor: I was disappointed. As fine a brewer as K'zoo Bells is, this one isn't too good. It had a sour taste.of those around here. I'll pass

jcalabre, Jun 13, 2003
2.17/5  rDev -36.9%

I absolutely agree with ManekiNeko's taste assessment.

Citrus rind smell and flavor. I think it has a medium mouthfeel. Instead of a salty aftertaste, I got a weird soapy aftertaste. This aftertaste has been consistent over the few times I've had this beer in the past.

To add, I think this is predominately a bitter beer. Grapefruit rind in a bottle. I like bitter, but I find this one-dimensional and I am not too impressed. I'll finish the bottles in my fridge and will probably not buy or drink this again.

silenius, Jan 22, 2004

matjack85, Feb 11, 2013

DubCo21, Apr 15, 2014

McBAINx, May 03, 2014

terence, Feb 23, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -34.6%

This brew had a fruity aroma, a large white head of small to medium bubbles and a cloudy yellow orange body. Initial bitter taste followed by a dislike for the taste. It got a little better with time, but still not high on my list.

TheDM, Jul 06, 2003
2.35/5  rDev -31.7%

Well, I like nice, clean, simple beers. Since I know Bell's makes a quality product, I was excited to see their rendition of this. I was not impressed. Not at all.
I poured the beer into a wine glass (all my other glasses were dirty), and it looked, well, average. Nothing too special, just somewhere in the nether-regions between penny and straw. The taste, yuck! Not pleasant. It reminded me a lot of Anchor Small. Resinous and generally unpleasant. Keep in mind, I normally like hops, but they just really tasted out of place here.
Thankfully, the taste improves considerably when you add the yeast. I guess the beer was designed to be drank with the yeast. With this addition the taste goes from truly aweful to merely unimpressive.
I won't be getting this beer again.

shbobdb, Nov 26, 2005
2.45/5  rDev -28.8%

Pours with deep yellow colouration with a thick head and plenty of body visible while the smell is dominant floral, reminiscent of an IPA.

The hops in evidence in the smell carry over to the flavour as the taste starts and finishes with a strong bitterness. There also are a few malty tones in the middle, but the bitterness is what carries this brew, and I didn't overly care for the effect.

Mouthfeel has at least got some body, and I can't knock the drinkability much, but overall this is a pretty average brew.

CortexBomb, Feb 18, 2004

TooGood, Apr 17, 2014

detroitpat, Jul 03, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This review is from a 12oz bottle sampled on 12-19-04. Cloudy straw yellow in the glass with a small white topping of bubbles. Not much lace and the puny head disappears quickly. Aroma has a touch of hops over a funky odd smell, not really sure what it is but it didn’t give me high hopes for the flavor. Taste had the same funky flavors to it with a bit of hops through in to control it. Fairly light mouthfeel but crisp. Not exactly something I would drink again. I am not sure what the hell is going on with this beer but I will avoid it in the future. Thanks to clvand0 for the sample.

meathookjones, Jan 05, 2005

Yoopermk, Oct 24, 2012
Third Coast Beer from Bell's Brewery, Inc.