Third Coast Beer - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Third Coast BeerThird Coast Beer

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

1.52/5  rDev -56.4%

Probably good that I tried this one, since I otherwise was getting the impression that Bell's didn't make any bad beer.

Mostly it's just terribly mediocre, from folks who can do vastly better.

Pours from a 12 ounce bottle a bright straw yellow, limited head.

Aroma... is really tough. Honestly, it smells a little like fresh vomit. That makes it sound worse than it is, but I really can't get that idea out of my head each time I smell it.

Taste is bitter, a little harsh, acrid, and just not pleasant. Limited hops noticeable. A flat, slightly metallic grain aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is average to a little thin.

I suppose it's possible that I could have just gotten a bad bottle, but since I bought Two Hearted at the same time, and stored them the same way, it seems relatively unlikely.

Really blah stuff, bordering on bad. I definitely won't bother again, and I poured out about half the bottle. Back to the Two Hearted!

2.06/5  rDev -41%

A: Hazy light amber. Like every other beer ever.
S: Little to no smell. The slightest hints of floral.
T: Taste very watery with few flavors. A little bit of hops in there but really nothing to it.
M: Sits like water with a little too much carbonation.

Overall a really poor showing from Bells here. I think I see what they're getting at which is an easy drinking beer for the masses. They have succeeded at this but have sacrificed a lot in the process.

2.1/5  rDev -39.8%

Looks like someone put Corona into a snow globe. Clear and straw gold, it's full of little floaties. Up top is a nice sized, bright white head with good retention and a sloppy lace. Unfortunately, it looks little different than something I can purchase 18 of for 12 bucks.

Grainy, rice-like, slightly floral. Think macro.

Is this a Budweiser?

See above. It's mostly got a chalky, bitter feel. Grainy and sour. Nothing resembling 'craft beer.'

Epic fail.

2.14/5  rDev -38.7%

Third Coast pours a gold color with a large head. There is an offensive aroma that is similar to cat pee. The taste has a cat pee flavoring, with a strong cereal flavor. The taste is very light, and rather offensive. Overall this is an avoidable beer. Not too much good can be said.

2.18/5  rDev -37.5%

Appearance: This pours hazy yellow with a white head.
Aroma: The smell is slightly hoppy, with some dustiness to it
Flavor: I was disappointed. As fine a brewer as K'zoo Bells is, this one isn't too good. It had a sour taste.of those around here. I'll pass

2.2/5  rDev -37%

I absolutely agree with ManekiNeko's taste assessment.

Citrus rind smell and flavor. I think it has a medium mouthfeel. Instead of a salty aftertaste, I got a weird soapy aftertaste. This aftertaste has been consistent over the few times I've had this beer in the past.

To add, I think this is predominately a bitter beer. Grapefruit rind in a bottle. I like bitter, but I find this one-dimensional and I am not too impressed. I'll finish the bottles in my fridge and will probably not buy or drink this again.

2.28/5  rDev -34.7%

This brew had a fruity aroma, a large white head of small to medium bubbles and a cloudy yellow orange body. Initial bitter taste followed by a dislike for the taste. It got a little better with time, but still not high on my list.

2.4/5  rDev -31.2%

Well, I like nice, clean, simple beers. Since I know Bell's makes a quality product, I was excited to see their rendition of this. I was not impressed. Not at all.
I poured the beer into a wine glass (all my other glasses were dirty), and it looked, well, average. Nothing too special, just somewhere in the nether-regions between penny and straw. The taste, yuck! Not pleasant. It reminded me a lot of Anchor Small. Resinous and generally unpleasant. Keep in mind, I normally like hops, but they just really tasted out of place here.
Thankfully, the taste improves considerably when you add the yeast. I guess the beer was designed to be drank with the yeast. With this addition the taste goes from truly aweful to merely unimpressive.
I won't be getting this beer again.

2.49/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured this thing into a lager mug glass.
Pours this nice pale/dark gold color. Foam head is moderate in an aggressive pour and dissipates quickly enough.
Tastes like a bitter IPA. Strong hop taste but not as strong as other IPA's I've had.
Feels good though, would be easy to drink if it weren't so hoppy.
It's alright, i didn't realize I was getting myself and IPA, but it's Bell's and I should have guessed. Still good to know what it tastes like for my own knowledge.

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours with deep yellow colouration with a thick head and plenty of body visible while the smell is dominant floral, reminiscent of an IPA.

The hops in evidence in the smell carry over to the flavour as the taste starts and finishes with a strong bitterness. There also are a few malty tones in the middle, but the bitterness is what carries this brew, and I didn't overly care for the effect.

Mouthfeel has at least got some body, and I can't knock the drinkability much, but overall this is a pretty average brew.

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This review is from a 12oz bottle sampled on 12-19-04. Cloudy straw yellow in the glass with a small white topping of bubbles. Not much lace and the puny head disappears quickly. Aroma has a touch of hops over a funky odd smell, not really sure what it is but it didn’t give me high hopes for the flavor. Taste had the same funky flavors to it with a bit of hops through in to control it. Fairly light mouthfeel but crisp. Not exactly something I would drink again. I am not sure what the hell is going on with this beer but I will avoid it in the future. Thanks to clvand0 for the sample.

2.51/5  rDev -28.1%

A- pale golden yellow with a small head on it. a bit of sediment and some active carbonation.

S- almost like a macro lager, nothing good here

T- also macro lager like with a mild hoppy finish and aftertaste.

M- medium feel with lots of carbonation

D- really nothing special here. glad i went for the single bottle and not any more as i doubt id want to try it again.

2.58/5  rDev -26.1%

I picked this up from Gomer's Midtown in KC. They had it listed as a limited release, and I usually like Bell's beers.

12 oz bottle, poured into an Imperial Pint glass. Color is a hazy golden orange. Ok head, but receeded quickly to almost no lace. Smell is grassy. The first time I drank this was strait from the bottle. I thought it was overly sour and bile-like, and didn't really like it. The taste improves dramatically from a glass, but still very sour. It's like lemon grass. I was warming up to the taste as I went along, but not enough to want to get this again.

2.58/5  rDev -26.1%

Nice hazy amber with a small head.Nice tight bubbles rising in glass.Somewhat bready aroma with a sharp hop bite.Hops dominate the flavor but are almost overpowering.Doesnt come across as an IPA or the like.Has a sharp flavor to match the aroma.Somewhat astringent flavor.Pretty standard going down-the better mouthfeel is washed away by the overall flavor.No big deal stick with their stouts.

2.58/5  rDev -26.1%

Hazy lemon with a one finger foamy white head with decent retention. Smells like lemons, yeast, grain, and light pale malts.

This beer tastes just like it smells. Lemon, yeast, grain, and light pale malt. Also tastes like there is biscuit malt present.

Light bodied, plenty of carbonation, and has an unpleasant, bitter aftertaste. It does not seem like this fits any one style very well. I don't care much for this beer.

2.6/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours a weak golden/green clear with hundreds of unidentified particles floating all around. Moderate white head mostly diminishes. Aroma of corn, grain, adjunct smell that is unappealing. Do I have the High Life with floating pebbles? Natural Light? The Beast? Aroma is no appealing whatsoever. Taste - bitter and not as bad as the aroma, but still nothing pleasant. Pale grains, slight lemon taste, just not what I expect from Bells. I really, really tried to be an advocate on this one, giving it a 2nd pour, but just cannot rate this any higher.

2.64/5  rDev -24.4%

A: Pours a clear golden body with a tight white head with great retention.
S: Rice and corn, but not much smell present.
T: A bit of alcohol, some rice or corn kind of like an adjunct lager, though a bit more of a hop bitterness in the end.
M: Fine--pretty bubbly but not too much so.
D: I guess I'm usually not a fan of blonde ales. For a blonde though, it is slightly below average for what I've had. Went okay, however, with Indian food.

2.65/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours to a clear and pale golden straw color with a fine white head. There is a stillness to this beer that I found quite disturbing for the style. Has some suspended sediment that seems to be frozen in the liquid like it was some sort of gelatinous substance. Carbonation is moderate, but the beer still seems to appear as if frozen in time.

The smell is a bit horrendous. Corny and biscuity, possibly even skunked hops? Funny thing how all of the beers that my drinking buddy brought back fresh from the brewery shelves seems to be out of date or badly kept; and the trip from Michigan to Iowa City is not too grueling on cooler-ed beer compared to some of the uber-fresh beers I've recieved in trade (Prima Pils!).

The taste is of vegetable oil, soybeans, and corn. Also has a bit of a sweetness backing it, and a "crisp" spicy hop bite to it... bleh. It's not too horrendous, but I might even drink a Bud over this if both were offered by a friend at the same time.

The mouthfeel has a sting to it, and leaves more of a veggie taste in your mouth. Blech. Finishes dry and spicy/herbal/skunky hopped.

Drinkability is average, but this is borderline offensive for a supposedly in-offensive style.

2.68/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - very pale golden, with a finger of thick white head

S - grainy, rice smell. Reminds me of mass produced lager.

T - very easy to drink, but not a lot of flavor.

M - descent thickness for such a Light beer. On the higher end of carbonation

O - true to the style, but I'm not a fan. Ended up dumping half the bottle. Was hoping more from bells, but that's more my high expectations talking (since the beer stayed within the style)

2.74/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured not aggressive but not carefully into a Pils glass. A very pale, straw yellow with tons of carbonation bubbles running to the top. Almost little to no head could be found thus almost no lacing. Body is cloudy and looks unfiltered with some floaties. Nose if floral with a touch of lemon zest. Grainy malt with some citrus hop carbonation zing in the back of the tongue. The body is very light and dry. Kinda a tangy finish. I'm sure this would be a good hot weather beer but not my cup of tea.

2.76/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured beer not knowing what it was....

Appearance-Yellow/Orange body, pretty clear. Small bubbly 1 inch head with pretty good retention and little lacing.

Smell-Lots of grain and light earthy hops. Not too inviting, kind of funky.

Taste-Bitter, not want I exactly want in a blonde ale. Light citrus and sweetness.

Mouthfeel-Light bodied with lots of carbonation.

Overall-Not really want I was hoping for. I have yet to try a Bells beer I haven't liked, until now. Will not seek out this beer again.

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden color. There's a finger worth of white-colored head, as well. Retention is just average for the style, but there's something to be said about leaving a lot of lacing behind...and this one certainly does that.

S: Well, there's a promising salvo of hops on the nose. Nothing too extreme, but certainly existent. This naturally makes me assume this won't be some bland, middle-of-the-road blonde ale. There's also a strong crackery presence coming from the malts. I'm not blown away, but the promise is there...

T: Up front is the crackery, bready malt profile. Past that is where the hops come - sadly, they're kind of undefined, bringing only generic bitterness along with maybe a *twinge* of citrus. Sadly, the hops don't really add anything to the bready backbone, even creating a clash between the two elements.

M: Unusually full-bodied for the style. Sure, the creaminess is nice, but the thick texture does nothing for its drinkability. Some out there will like the low carbonation, though. Still, it's definitely not crisp or clean enough for the style.

O: As a hoppy blonde, this isn't turribly successful. There's way too much hop/malt clash for me. Having said that, this isn't something I'm going to drainpour - it's only kinda crappy instead of godawful. I don't need to have this one again.

2.8/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This pours hazy light greenish amber (okay, I'm color blind) - it leaves a head, and it stays around, and laces...

Smells pretty good. Hoppy and floral.

Taste - eeh, um, not for me. Bitter, watery, like a mixture of hops and soda water.

Mouthfeel - okay. It starts out okay, sort of creamy, but kinda flattens out right quick. Then it ends up like thin water.

Finish is bitter. Nothing but pine bitter.

Then, after it is gone the pine bitter sits in your mouth like an old gym sock. And lingers. And lingers. eegh.

This beer is really not for me. A little thin, and the pine hops isn't balanced very well.

2.8/5  rDev -19.8%

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a small off white colored head that left little to no lacing.

S- Bready, some grains, pale malts and some citrus hops. Actually more citrus than I expected.

T- Very sutle and nothing jumps right out at me. Bitter acidic grapefruit and lemony citruc over a nice biscuity pale malt backbone. Also some metallic taste.

M- Light in body maybe too much carbonation.

D- Fairly easy to drink just not a lot going on here.

2.82/5  rDev -19.2%

I was not very impressed with this particular selection. Although supposedly a pale ale, it did not really look or taste like one to me. First, I was a little frightened by the appearance - a myriad flecks of yeast (I suppose) were floating about in my glass. It pours a pale yellow color, several shades paler than what I am used to seeing from pale ales. The smell was almost acidic and chemical-like. The taste was only slightly better. I hope that perhaps I just got a bad bottle - I was not expecting something of this quality coming from the same brewers that bring us the divine Two-Hearted Ale.

Third Coast Beer from Bell's Brewery, Inc.