Third Coast Beer - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Third Coast BeerThird Coast Beer

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002)

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured beer not knowing what it was....

Appearance-Yellow/Orange body, pretty clear. Small bubbly 1 inch head with pretty good retention and little lacing.

Smell-Lots of grain and light earthy hops. Not too inviting, kind of funky.

Taste-Bitter, not want I exactly want in a blonde ale. Light citrus and sweetness.

Mouthfeel-Light bodied with lots of carbonation.

Overall-Not really want I was hoping for. I have yet to try a Bells beer I haven't liked, until now. Will not seek out this beer again.

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This pours hazy light greenish amber (okay, I'm color blind) - it leaves a head, and it stays around, and laces...

Smells pretty good. Hoppy and floral.

Taste - eeh, um, not for me. Bitter, watery, like a mixture of hops and soda water.

Mouthfeel - okay. It starts out okay, sort of creamy, but kinda flattens out right quick. Then it ends up like thin water.

Finish is bitter. Nothing but pine bitter.

Then, after it is gone the pine bitter sits in your mouth like an old gym sock. And lingers. And lingers. eegh.

This beer is really not for me. A little thin, and the pine hops isn't balanced very well.

2.78/5  rDev -19.2%

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a small off white colored head that left little to no lacing.

S- Bready, some grains, pale malts and some citrus hops. Actually more citrus than I expected.

T- Very sutle and nothing jumps right out at me. Bitter acidic grapefruit and lemony citruc over a nice biscuity pale malt backbone. Also some metallic taste.

M- Light in body maybe too much carbonation.

D- Fairly easy to drink just not a lot going on here.

2.83/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured in a Sam Adams perfect pint. Appearance is a cloudy haze with some debris floating around. Smells a little hoppy and yeasty. Taste some pleasent bitterness from the hopiness. Light bodied feel, grity. Could drink a few more of these but not likly.

2.85/5  rDev -17.2%

I was not very impressed with this particular selection. Although supposedly a pale ale, it did not really look or taste like one to me. First, I was a little frightened by the appearance - a myriad flecks of yeast (I suppose) were floating about in my glass. It pours a pale yellow color, several shades paler than what I am used to seeing from pale ales. The smell was almost acidic and chemical-like. The taste was only slightly better. I hope that perhaps I just got a bad bottle - I was not expecting something of this quality coming from the same brewers that bring us the divine Two-Hearted Ale.

2.88/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours a goldish/ yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, small grapefruity hop, and a grainy malt. In the taste, buscuity malt and small grapefruity hops. A small bitter and medium mouthfeel, and a dry, small hop aftertaste. Nice balance, kind of standard pale, with a touch bigger hops.

2.88/5  rDev -16.3%

I wanted a good warm weather beer, so I picked this up. The style is apparently American Blonde Ale based on BA, however I hear this is actually a lager. Usually I try to rate beers based on the interpretation of the style, however I will rate this one on my overall assessment.

Pours a bland straw yellow color. Great care was taken to keep most the yeast in the bottle, however there is still some that litters the beer. Strong two fingerbreadth head that dies down quickly. Very carbonated. The aroma is lacking and bordering on unpleasant. I get a hint of lemon rind and sweetness, however this is followed up w/ a terrible skunkiness. Not very inviting at all. The taste is significantly better, but nothing fantastic. There is an attack of lemony bitterness initially, but this is followed up by bland malts. There is a nice hint of fruitiness and honey that follows. Unfortunately it is not enough. The mouthfeel is right on for what I wanted. Crisp, clean and refreshing. Unfortunately the rest of the beer didn't cooperate.

I love Bell's, but this is not one of their best. It is like a lager w/ ale hoppiness, however they just didn't blend well. It is light like I wanted, but not very drinkable due to the harsh hops and skunkiness. Maybe I got a bad batch (couldn't test the date as the website was down), but this is my 4th beer from the six pack and they have all been consistently dull. I don't think I'll pick this up again, however I would like to try it on tap to see if the experience differs.

2.88/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12-oz brown bottle, no date.

Sparkling medium gold with some floating particles. Medium creamy-white head with lace clinging to the sides.

Grapefruit-y citrus hops with some biscuit malt underneath. Some skunk-y light struck smell, also. Light-struck smell dissipates.

Grapefruit citrus hops with plenty of pith bitterness. Not enough malt for the bitterness. Pithy bitterness overwhelms the malt.

Nice light, sparkly mouth feel.

Too much plain bitterness. Needs more maltiness or more sweet citrus taste to balance the bitterness.

Have had and enjoyed this before both on tap and in bottle, but the last two bottles I have had have been disappointing.

2.9/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured yellow and slighly cloudy with a very weak head. Smells mainly grassy with a tiny bit of malty sweetness. The taste is pretty much purely bitter with a nearly bile-like aftertaste. I got a small amount of malt up front, but that was about it. Mouthfeel was decent with lots of sharp carbonation. Drinkablity was OK, but I found the hop profile to be all wrong. In truth, I thought I was getting the Third Coast Old Ale, but I grabbed this instead. Oh well.

2.9/5  rDev -15.7%

A - This one is mustard yellow with a crisp white head. Retention is decent, and some white lace is left on the pint glass.

S - Tangy citrus-oriented hops with a hint of salty sea air. This almost smells like a German pils but maybe a hint more sour.

T - Yeah, this is definitely noble-hopped. This one is confusing to me... it feels like a pale ale, but has very acrid and bitter German-style hop flavors, and the saltiness is a bit off-putting. Not terrible by any means, it's just weird. Weird can be good.

M -Thinner than it should be, this is pretty much highly carbonated, sharp, and crisp. Finishes hoppy with a hint of something herbal. Tea and mint maybe.

D - This is a very off-centered brew that seems too strange to really enjoy. Not bad by any means, but I'd pass on a second one.

2.9/5  rDev -15.7%

Golden. Mildly aromatic, slightly tart, with notes of vanilla, orange creamsicle, lemon and pilsner malts. When I was drinking this I wasn't sure if this was a lager or an ale. The malts are grainy, unexciting, and have notes of corn and butter. The hops are herbal and earthy, with notes of lemons, herbs and cream.

Third Coast Beer from Bell's Brewery, Inc.