Wild One - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Wild OneWild One

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Wild Ale |  6.60% ABV

A blend of brown ale and wheat wort aged in oak wine barrels. Beer is tart with subtle Brett notes.

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 12-08-2007)

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Thanks to decadence for the bottle in the I'm at 3floyds lif.

Pours a copper color with a small one finger head that recedes quickly. Leaves no lacing on the glass.

Smell is sour and slightly vinegar. Spot on for the style. Very inviting.

Taste is tart and vinegar. Excellent sour. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is thin and carbonation is medium to high. Very refreshing.

Overall, this is a winner. Very nice beer. Wish they made more of this. Thanks decadence.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

In looking back I now realize that my introduction to sour ales came much earlier than I previously thought, as I remember tasting the Wild One long before I had anything from Russian River or overseas and that was only because it was at Bell’s. So a note of appreciation, and a nod to this brief trip down memory lane.

This pours a burgundy color with thin to no foam remaining. There’s a tart, tart, tart aroma noticeable at first sniff. I pick up black cherries and maybe some sherry? The tartness is present at first sip as well, mouthpuckerinly so, mouthpuckeringly soured with more of the dark cherries and intense tartness that lasts through the finish. A wild one indeed. Fantastic.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed at the Eccentric Cafe.

A- A medium brown with a small off white head that doesn't stick around. Good clarity.

S- Tart apple, slight vinegar, lemon, oak, vanilla, slight funk.

T- Similar to aroma nice medium-high level of sour, apple, lemon, light vinegar, vanilla, and funk.

F- Medium, a good easier to drink sour.

O- This is one of my favorite sours and Bell's beers. It has nice complex flavors and isn't rip your face off sour. I really enjoy the barrel character that comes out in this one, it really complements the sour.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Finally got to try this at Bell's and I loved it.

Poured into a pint glass with a small head. Dark brown color with lots of carbonation.

Smells very sweet. Lots of sugar and brett as well as some cherry. It has that nice funky taste to it that I love.

This beer tastes exceptional. I was blown away. It reminds me of a Flanders Red ale except brewed only a few hours away from me. Just delicious and not too tart, just the perfect blend of dryness and fruit.

I could easily drink any amount of this. The carbonation is perfect and the alcohol is great. I hope this is bottled some day as it is now one of my favorite beers from Bell's.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Had while at Brewvival! Served from tap into a sampler Brewvival imperial pint. Poured dark brown with a one finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained good lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, funk, and hints of fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart, funk, and dark fruits. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. I found myself going back quite a few times to sample this one. I was really looking forward to trying this one as it was a Bell's Wild Ale I haven't had before and it seemed like it would be a nice brew. My thoughts were right. The flavor and aroma on this one were quite nice and kept me craving more. The keg finally kicked and that was the only reason I stopped sampling it. A definite must try without doubt!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Wild One from Bell's Brewery, Inc.