The Wild One - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

The Wild OneThe Wild One

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Wild Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: hoppymeal on 12-08-2007

A blend of brown ale and wheat wort aged in oak wine barrels. Beer is tart with subtle Brett notes.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 315 | Reviews: 74
3.51/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I had this at Bells Eccentric Cafe, $4 for a 12oz goblet. The chalkboard described it as "sour brown ale, tart".

The beer was clear-to-translucent, dark reddish copper color, with about 1/2 finger of off-white head. The aroma was really unique, kind of odd, the strongest notes I get are pickles and peppers. As in pickle juice and jalapeno peppers, but behind these there's a hint of brett and some mild malt aromas (a little grainy). The taste was strong on the peppers, some tartness but not as aggressive as I'd personally prefer, and there's a little chalkiness in the aftertaste. On re-reading, these adjectives sound more unpleasant than the actual taste of the beer, but they seem descriptive to me.

Medium bodied, all in all a peppery gateway to the sour style. It was OK, not something I'd go after in bottles, and a few notches below Golden Funk from the same brewery.

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

Bel'ls Wild One is a decent sour beer. It doesn't have the polish of the Russian River sours but it still has some good points too.

A: Cloudy orange. Not much head. 3.5

S: Sour with some lemon vomit flavour. 3

T: Lemon zest. Apple. With some sourness. Quite pleasant. 4.

M: Flat. 2.5

O: Yum. 4

3.6/5  rDev -13%

Enjoyed at a recent tasting hosted by hoppymcgee.

Pours a bright fall orange/light brown color with fizzy light off white head.

Aromas begin with lots of white vinous grapes. Golden apples, pears and a Champagne effervescence.

The tastes are highlighted by a dry, earthy oakiness. I am looking for more but the flavors are fairly one dimentional. As it warms you get a little more with some sour tart cherries and light lemon. These are very tart. A big vinegar and acidic flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. The finish is very tart and bone dry; really really crisp and drying on the palate. Too dry to be honest for me.

Overall this was an okay beer but the base malt flavor profile didn't quite meld with the intense drying oak flavors. Not bad by any means, but not one I will be seeking out anytime soon. The small sample was enough to know this was not my cup of tea.

3.6/5  rDev -13%

Thanks to Murren for sharing this. Poured into a snifter, this brew appears a burnt color of orange to copper. Some yellow clarity is seen around the edges and a tan froth sits atop the brew with a finger strength.

The aroma includes a mild note of fruity sweetness almost like cherry mixed with a bit of oakiness. A hint of sweet vanilla and apple cidar vinegar across the back that gets a little cheesy with some funk. Overall the nose is lacking a bit of punch but the subtle character that's there is enjoyable.

The taste is tart with a fruited cherry quality just like the aroma suggested. A slight inclusion of vanilla barrel character tames the tartness and helps blend into a taste of apple cidar vinegar. There is a lingering aftertaste of apple skins. I think the flavor came up a bit short here. It was easy drinking but not as wild as one would expect.

This is a medium bodied brew with a pleasant warmth of alcohol. I really appreciated the opportunity to give this brew a try but it was a little weak. I think the comment was made that this was a fresh released batch? I wouldn't mind trying it again if given the opportunity and it has some aging potential I'm sure but as-is I felt it was lacking.

3.6/5  rDev -13%

This sour pours out as a deep reddish brown color. The head in nonexistent along with the lacing. The aroma of this beer is definitely sour. There is plenty of acidic tartness on the to tongue too. The mouthfeel is more like a wine, not much carbonation at all here. The finish is dry, and earthy. It's a decent sour ale. Not my favorite style but glad I tried it.

3.62/5  rDev -12.6%

On-tap at the Cafe...A medium copper, clear. The head is light head, ok thin ring but no lacing...The aroma is really light, wish it was stronger as this shows some promise. Light cherries, vinegar, a little oak. Reminds me of an American oud bruin. Surprised it was aged in a wine barrel, don't get that at all. Lactic sour notes, want them stronger... The taste is stronger but not as good as the nose, lightly tart, vinegar, oak, pretty light and boring finish. I get the wine barrel in the finish and feel, lots of grape skin going on.

An average sour that I'd skip in the future.

3.63/5  rDev -12.3%

On tap at bells in december

Pours a beautiful purplish red with minimal head. smells very tart and sour. A bit of sweetness on the nose. Tastes like sour sweet tarts and lots of wine characteristics. Too bitter and sour for my taste but overall pretty solid. Okay mouthfeel but overall not something that sits right on my pallette.fairly drinkable for such a sour beer

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

This one pours a dark cherry red with little to no head. It smells very tart and bitter, like tart cherries. The tastes is very tart and very, very dry. Like a fellow sampler put it, it's like a cherry wine with the after taste. It's very tart, very dry, and very bitter. It drinks crisp and fresh and very dry. It lacks true complexity. It doesn't offer any other fruits, yeast, funk, etc. It's kind of like a middle of the road kriek. The dryness definitely carries over to the after taste, leaving a tart cherry flavor behind. It's just ok as far as I'm concerned for a wild. I expected more. It's more like a middle of the road kriek than anything, and not very complex.

3.66/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on-tap at Bell's Eccentric Cafe.

Man, this is a funky beer. Or maybe I should just call it wild. I'm not positive, but I think this is my first of the style. Where do I begin. I'll begin with a summary... how does that work? I'll make it work. All around, this beer is just oddly compelling. When I first smelled it I was wondering what the hell it was supposed to be, because of the yeast. Fruity garbage, almost? After a couple smells and a few sips, I actually grew to like this a lot. There's a lot of puckering, sour fruit in the flavor department, with a good amount of malt. The spicy aromatics that I pull are just... interesting. Fruity garbage with vegetable juice -- how does it work? I don't know, but it does. This is hardly something that I could have often, but I love a "different" kind of beer time-to-time, and this did it for me. I could definitely see myself bumping the scores up for this beer the next time I have it/can compare it to others of the style. Until then...

3.67/5  rDev -11.4%

1/22/2012

Bottle shared by womencantsail, thanks!

A: Reddish orange with a fleeting white head.

S: Vinegar accompanies a general berry presence. I detect apple, vanilla, leather, and earth. The aroma is lightly lactic with a dash of cheese and a little oak.

T: Lightly tart with soft vinegar notes. Dark cherry blends with vanilla, currant, and plum. Acetic acidity is restrained. Lactic notes are pervasive. The finish displays a brief tartness that quickly fades with some drying oak.

M: Medium body with lower high carbonation.

Overall: A solid Wild Ale, but it tastes like lots of other beers of the style and nothing sets it apart.

3.71/5  rDev -10.4%

Huge thanks to Derek for this one.

Pours a brownish color with a tall off-white head. Starts off with some dark fruit and a mild tartness. There's a little bit of hay and grass as well as some oak. Just a little bit of lemon peel. The flavor is slightly sweet with a light tartness throughout, but most notably on the finish. Some drying oak notes as well as some tannic maybe berry type notes. Overall, it's good, but fairly simple.

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz tap pour at Bells Eccentric Cafe

(A)- Pours a hazy reddish caramel color. Produced a good white head that dissipated after awhile.

(S)- A nice earthy dry brett funk with tart fruits in there too.

(T)- A good dry acidic tartness with nice fruits and dry funky earth.

(M)- A nice crisp carbonation level and a great balance. Not very sour, but carries a good acidity and funk.

(D)- A nice example for the style coming out of the midwest! I do wish it had a bigger sourness, but this is definitely a mellower, more balanced example.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
The Wild One from Bell's Brewery, Inc.