Bell's Uberon - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Uberon
No picture.

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2008

4.19/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this last weekend at 7 Monks in Traverse City, Bell's 30th Anny Party. Thought it was a beautiful color, with a definite boozy nose to it. Didn't taste much like Oberon, more like a wheaty BW to me. Really enjoyed it.

3.84/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a golden, almost amberish color with half a finger of near white head with ok retention and lacing

S - Bourbony. Light sweet vanilla, wheat and oak. A bit of alcohol presence in the nose

T - Light wheat flavor followed by an oaky sweet bourbon vanilla flavor with a lingering sweetness. Tastes are quick to fade, and its a bit bland, but not bad.

M - Medium/light bodied with good carbonation, quite drinkable body.

O - Not awful, better than i expected but a little bland and one dimensional in my opinion.

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I like Oberon just fine for what it is - unprepossessing lawn mower beer, but it has to be in the top 10 for Most Unlikely Beers to Wind Up in a Barrel. No longer. Never thought I'd see the day. An interesting experiment, but Barrel vs Oberon is really Godzilla vs Bambi. Oberon cannot stand up to the barrel and as a result, Uberon tastes more like Whiskey than any beer I've ever had. Fortunately, I like whiskey, so it was a decent drinking experience. But why not just make whiskey? Nevertheless, worth a try.

3.56/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Hazy golden with frothy, lingering ivory head.

Malt, oak, vanilla, bourbon, and wheat in aroma, with a hint of citrus.

Fairly light malt character allows the barrel and booze to shine. Underpinnings of orange provide subtle contrast. There's a dry, oaky, vanilla finish, slightly peppery.

Body is smooth and creamy, with moderate carbonation and significant alcohol warmth.

I appreciate the effort, but the Oberon is just too weak in backbone. Totally overwhelmed by booze and oak. That said, it certainly drinks lighter than 10 percent, until the bourbon burps set in.

4.02/5  rDev +2%

On tap at Bell's Eccentric Cafe in August 2013.

A deep, clear amber with an excellent head and lacing.

Smells and tastes like a light, wheaty barleywine.

O: Like no other beer I've ever had. I really enjoyed this even though I don't much like Oberon.

3.71/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap, Michigan Summer Beerfest 2013. I can't believe this is a thing. Takin' that pale wheat ale to Mandingo-like girth and dumpin' it in a barrel, with Larry Bell all like, "I do whatever the fuck I want". Is this a counterpoint to Founder's Doom? Let's barrel age something that has no business touching wood. I'll complain about how silly it is, yet stand there like a six year old in line for Santa Claus at the neighborhood mall to get my 5 oz. pour.

Amber, cloudy body, basically pretty similar to Oberon. Maybe a little darker, actually. It's been a while since I've actually had an Oberon (let alone poured it into a glass) so I might be ad-libbing a bit here. Foamy, beige-headed, quick to reduce to a stretchy film, though the film lasts pretty much all the way down the glass and leaves some nice, webbed areas of lacing.

Let's make this clear. There's no way this is regular Oberon tossed into a barrel. It can't be. The barrel would demolish Oberon like a wrecking ball and you'd be drinking a liquid bourbon stave. Bell's has brewed a "Double Oberon" clocking in at 9.5% ABV, and my guess is *that* is the beer that made it to the barrels.

The aroma is mostly light and smooth boubon notes with some orange and citrus zest. White pepper and maybe a touch of barrel-induced vanilla... No, definitely. Vanilla is definitely there. It's surprisingly light for a 10% ABV, regardless of the vapid nature of the questionable base beer. I'm convinced even more that it's Double Oberon, otherwise the nose would most likely have no mention of orange or citrus, at all.

Boozy oak leads the taste and that's pretty much all you get at first. A few more sips opens things up, but not to a whole new order of magnitude. Timid citrus zest for balance, a faint, soft wheat backbone, and a hint of orange. Bourbon, oak, and tannic vanilla lead the charge, though, but even still - it doesn't get overpowering or hard to drink, and it's still pretty "light" overall. Light bodied, too, a little creamy and pretty smooth with low-medium carbonation.

I don't know what this is about. But you know what, it's not awful. It's mostly bourbon and barrel flavors with just a hint of balancing fruity notes, like citrus and orange peels. But the bourbon isn't staggeringly powerful or staunch, which means it's still pretty easy to put down, despite the noticeable lack of base beer flavors. Better than I expected, but I expected nothing.

4.01/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: a deep burnt orange. Nice clarity. A tiny hint of a tannish head that doesn't stick around

Smell: strong oak and some background of wheat

Taste: the underlying Oberon is just barely there. Some wheat maybe a hint of citrus. The beer is dominated by oak character. Very woody and slightly funky

Mouthfeel: very light for a barrel aged. Leaves a nice oaky aftertaste

Overall: an interesting and pleasant change up. The oak character in this beer is outstanding. Very well done aged beer and very light and drinkable

3.94/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap at the Eccentric Cafe on 7/5/2013. Pours a hazy burnt orange color, smells of bourbon with citrus notes. I had not expected a lot from this beer, Oberon has been a disappointment for a long time, however the barrel complements this beer quite well, it reminds me of a weaker Doom, strong on the barrel notes, and not much left of the base beer. I would seek this beer again if I see it on tap.

4.53/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was a pleasant find at Bell's. It is bourbon barrel aged Oberon (according to the Bartender). Enjoyed in a glass, right off the gravity tap.

A - Deep amber. Very clear compared to Oberon (could be related to the additional oak aging). It comes right off the cask through a gravity tap, so unsurprisingly very low carbonation.

S - Smell of wheat and slight oak. Did not catch much of the normal orange peel I typically smell in Oberon over the other two.

T - The bourbon and oak blend well with the Oberon to create something unique here. The bourbon adds a light touch of sweetness. Has a sweet creamy aftertaste in the blend which reminds me a little of an (Orange) Cream soda.

M - Smooth and lightly creamy.

Overall a very drinkable beer. Most of the cask beers I like I would typically only have one in a sitting as they come off a bit heavier. This I would consider having more than one as it is still surprisingly light and refreshing for a cask beer. Oak aging adds a lot of flavor for many beers and Oberon appears to be no different. Would drink again!

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This was poetry in a glass. I can’t say enough good things about this beer. I wish I could have more of this somehow. Simply amazing brew. It's haunted my palate ever since I tasted it.

Bell's Uberon from Bell's Brewery, Inc.