Bell's Oarsman - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's OarsmanBell's Oarsman

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Berliner Weissbier |  4.00% ABV

Sour mash wheat ale.

"Designed as a flavorful session beer, Oarsman Ale uses a classic German brewing technique to impart a light, refreshing tartness. Oarsman Ale grew out of a desire to explore the tradition of session beers, trading intensity for finesse while still creating a worthwhile experience for the taster. The grain bill includes a healthy portion of wheat, while light hopping lend citrus & herbal notes to the aroma. Fermented with Bell's house ale yeast, Oarsman comes in at 4.0% alcohol by volume. Rather than being the dominant flavor note, the tartness in Oarsman takes on more of a palate-cleansing role, making it perfect with meals or purely on its own."

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 04-12-2009)

HeyYoMar, Sep 16, 2013

KingMe, Mar 12, 2014

zchops, Apr 15, 2012

xDeadGuYx, Jun 21, 2012
1.55/5  rDev -55.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a 12oz Tumbler Glass

Appearance - Extremely Hazy & Cloudy Wet Straw and Yellow Color that shows off alot of carbonation, almost like lemon juice. There isn't really any head to speak of here on this one, and with that being said, no lacing either

Smell - Has a very sour lemon, wheat, and grassy smell to it. In regards to the wheat, there's a scent of what smells like sourdough bread. There's a slight skunky smell as it starts to warm up and can get a bit offensive.

Taste - Very sour tasting beer with some lemon and wheat notes. Once you get used to the taste, the sour/tart taste starts to die down and you can start to pick up on the barley and grassy notes. The sourness of the beer sort of makes me cringe as I drink it.

Mouthfeel - Light body but alot of carbonation and there's almost a syrupy sort of feel to it and it feels a little unpleasant.

Overall - It's extremely sour and it starts to smell quite offensive after a few minutes of being out. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not used to this style of beer but I didn't really find myself enjoying Oarsman at all. I know Bell's produces excellent beers, but this is sadly not one of them

NuclearDolphin, Dec 12, 2011
1.65/5  rDev -53%

I saw this new Bells beer in the store and had to pick it up as I've like just about everything Bells has produced. To start this definitely is nnot my style of beer.

I found the aroma to be fowl, I find it hard to drink because of this.

The taste has a slight citrus flavor which seems like it would be highlighted by a slice of orange but I didn't have anything available at the time. With that said, I found the taste on itself to be unpleasant. The initial taste is tart with a strange aftertaste.

I like a light beer for the summer, but unfortunately this is one Bells beer I won't be buying again.

FASTPACE, Sep 12, 2010
1.73/5  rDev -50.7%

This beer poured an almost straw yellow color, wit very small head that dispated quickly. The smell was minimal. The taste was rather stale, and there was hints of some lemon, or other citrus. I found the taste offensive and unpleasent, and I couldnt even finish one. Overall I found this horrible, and I was disapointed that such an abolation from my one of my favirote brewers could be sold.

vette2006c5r, Dec 28, 2010

Zonian1, Nov 02, 2012

Knowlesbryan, Jun 26, 2014

beerhast, Jan 20, 2013

amalahow, Feb 09, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -47.3%

Poured into a pint glass. This beer was a headless wonder. The color was near-transparent.

There's not much to pick up in the scent. Tonic water would be the closest comparison that I could come up with.

Unfortunately the taste followed the scent pretty closely. I felt like I was drinking Perrier with a twist of lime. The bite was pretty toothless, with the only standout flavor being the bitter citrus. Strangely there seems to be neither malt, nor hop character. I really felt like I was drinking lightly carbonated water with lime. Did I get a bad bottle or is this what this beer is supposed to be?

How do you rate the mouthfeel of a beer with the consistency of water? I guess it didn't feel offensive in my mouth.

Likewise, the 4% abv paired with ultra-lite flavor and watery consistency gives this a pretty high drinkability. If you don't mind the pucker inducing bitterness I imagine you could drink these all day and night; but why would you really want to?

weizenbob, Oct 23, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -45.9%

A-Pours a murky golden color with a smallish head and moderate amount of lacing on the glass.
S-Mostly funk and sourness overpowering the bready malts.
T-Lemony flavor primarily and alot of sourness.
M-Thin feel and moderate carbonation.
D-NOT...this was a drain pour for me.

bierenutz, Nov 17, 2010

JIMTRK16, Feb 26, 2014

Jwilly, Aug 21, 2013

Danielr26, Feb 18, 2013

brudz2134, Aug 02, 2013
Bell's Oarsman from Bell's Brewery, Inc.