2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

The Oracle - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

The OracleThe Oracle

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,471 | Reviews: 598 | Show All Ratings:
clint1019

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Golden color with a thick cream colored head that sticks to the glass and leaves some nice lacing.

S - Big, Big, Big citrusy, piney hop aroma.

T - Has a nice sweet malt taste up front and a blast of hop bitterness on the back.

M - Medium bodied and full of carbonation that dances across the tongue.

O - Damn this is a fine beer. My mouth is still tingling from all those hops. Will definitely look for this one again next year and would definitely recommend to anyone who loves hops.

09-05-2011 01:24:57 | More by clint1019
timc100

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a bright hazy golden orange with a beautiful dense, clinging, retention crazy head. The aroma is not incredibly pungent, but there are some great things going on - great example of no coast DIPA - astringent overripe pineapple, lemon zest, sharp orange citrus and a great malt backbone - sweet bready malts. Taste is huge! Very bitter and astringent. Coats the mouth completely - full bodied for the style and very smooth. Pungent overripe citrus and tropical fruits play off a sweat biscuit malt base. Fantastic midwest IPA!

09-08-2013 21:03:58 | More by timc100
heliosphann

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle picked up at the Eccentric Cafe. Batch 9306. Served in a pint glass while enjoying Labor Day at a friends house in Ann Arbor.

A: Finger of creamy marshmallow head which hangs around for some time. Pours like a radiant sunburst. There is plenty of active carbonation and lacing is superb for a DIPA.

S: Sweet crushed pineapple, mango, oranges and bouquet of other tropical fruits. Some piney hops round out the enticing aroma.

T: Juicy tropical fruit sweetness hits right off the bat. Followed by big resinous, tongue biting pine heavy hops. Now this is the freshness! Along with the 110 IBU bitter finish, I get a little bit of heat, but it's pretty insignificant considering the ABV.

M: Medium body. A little chewy, but in a good way. Carbonation is just right for a DIPA.

D: For a DIPA clocking in at over 10%, this is one drinkable brew. I could easily kill a few of these back-to-back.

Another fantastic creation by Larry Bell and co. Right up there with Big Head and Hopslam when at their peak. Speaking freshness, I think The Oracle might be a little too fresh? It'll be interesting in a month or two to see if the hops calm down some. That was the only thing holding me back from giving The Oracle a 5/5 for taste. Either way it's still an amazing brew. Word from Larry is we might see this distributed widely next year. I hope that's the case for all the hopheads out there!

09-07-2009 20:24:21 | More by heliosphann
Bierguy5

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle, batch 9306. Pours. Hazy bright orange to copper color. Thick, fluffy white head. Great head retention. Nice patches of lace coating the sides of the glass.

Bursting with hop aroma. I can smell it from the other side of the room. Loads of grapefruit, pine, and a variety of tropical fruits like pineapple and mango. You can get a whiff of sweet malt. Or perhaps that is wishful thinking. Bold and juicy aroma, hard to imagine it could be any better.

Things begin with a good dose of sweet malt. Not much caramel, but there is some depth. Bitter grapefruit comes next. Things dry out a bit in the middle with some tropical fruit and an aspirin edge. Bitterness lingers forever on the palate. A ghost-like second wave of tropical fruit comes and goes like a flash. Or is it my tongue dying?

Medium body, carbonation seems good. Maybe a hint of warming alcohol, but not much. This was very drinkable, even with the full assault of hops. Another great one from bells. Very enjoyable!

10-02-2009 00:33:14 | More by Bierguy5
SpdKilz

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Huge thanks to kzoobrew for this great extra from trading. Cheers buddy!

Appearance - Pours a beautiful hazy copper/dark amber color with over a finger of white fluffy head. As the foam slowly dissipates, it leaves great looking lacing. I'm pretty excited to try this.

Smell - Wow, amazing. Passion fruit, tangerines, and oranges. It smells amazing. This is followed by a mellow yet strong (oxymoron?) hop and piney aroma. Holy cow my mouth is watering in anticipation.

Taste - A bit malty up front followed by some bitter hop taste and ending on an extremely smooth note. I taste grapefruit, tangerines, oranges, etc. This honestly has an utterly amazing flavor and smell to it. I keep sniffing it then taking a nice long sip. I am enjoying this to its fullest.

Mouthfeel - Moderate mouthfeel with decent carbonation. It feels thick, oily, and overall dense...which is a good thing.

Drinkability - I can't believe this is a 10+ abv beer. I feel I may have had this beer a bit after the "crazy" hoppiness as some have described (or maybe I'm just use to West Coast hoppy beers) but this was not a massive hop bomb by any means. This was an extremely balance, utterly amazing smelling and tasting DIPA. This is a DAMN good DIPA. I am thoroughly enjoying this right now and will most definitely search for these when I am in the Midwest. Bravo.

10-29-2009 02:29:32 | More by SpdKilz
jera1350

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Holiday1072 for this outstanding brew.

Pours a foggy golden burnt orange into a snifter. Nice fluffy head with lots of tiny cascading bubbles adding to the mix. Lacing all over the place.

Outstanding smell. Like a bushel of extremely ripe pineapples just split open. Sweet and juicy, I can't wait to taste it!

Wow, this is packed with flavor. Huge and sweet, the bitter hops catch the attention right off the bat. Plenty of sweet malt to add backbone. Good amount of alcohol is present. Lots of citrus and pineapple. Grapefruit finishes it off.

Medium bodied, smooth with plenty of tiny bubbles in the carbonation the keep flavors rolling on the palate. Very juicy feel.

I call this an Imperial HopSlam. Simply amazing. A must have for every hophead. Bell's knows how to use hops probably better than any other brewery. Great beer!

12-12-2009 02:18:37 | More by jera1350
biggred1

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Jo from WCB for hooking me up with this sample bottle.

Hazed honey amber with a creamy eggshell cap that leaves sheets of sticky lace behind on the glass. This beer smells about as good as any I've ever encountered. Pineapple and citrus fruity hops with pine sap and caramel malt all in perfect harmony. This beer tastes ridiculously good as well, maybe even as good as fresh hopslam with resinous and potent hops up front with a smooth caramel malty backbone. Alcohol is well hidden for such a big beer. Medium full bodied and hop oily feeling with smooth carbonation. This beer is dangerously drinkable at 10+ ABV. A beer that is truly as good as advertised. Fantastic.

01-01-2010 04:05:38 | More by biggred1
beerhan

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Wow is all I have to say. This is one amazing beer that just gets me psyched for hop slam. It reminds me a lot of a hop slam with a stronger kick to it. The taste is phenomenal! My only real complaint is that it is not vert aromatic. I could seriously drink this forever it has such a great taste and mouth feel to it I am very sad it is so limited and that me and my friend drank the only two bottles at the bar

09-01-2010 02:50:13 | More by beerhan
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

At $20 per 4 pack, the expectations are pretty high for this one. However, I am going to be fair.

I poured this into a sniffer:

A: Very dark amber color, with moderate carbonation. The retention on this is absolutely stunning considering the ABV. After the session, my glass ended up looking like it had just gone through a car wash on max setting without a rinse.

S: When I initially smelled this brew, I didn't get a decent whiff because it was too cold...far too cold even. I waited about 5 minutes, then took a snort: Ahhhh. Very fresh hop smell - lots of orange, grapefruit, and even a bit of Candy bar-like sugar. After a few more whiffs, I started to notice pineapple poking through.

T: Almost a barleywine, but not quite. Whenever a beer has a very strong hop profile that transcends into the realm of licorice, that is when I start to think American Barleywine. However, this brew skates the edge of that doom very nicely, and rounds itself out with a nice orange pulp taste. Sugary? Yes!... Hoppy? Yes!.... Balanced? Nope, but that's the way I like it!

M: Sure the sugar is cloying, but since this is a "reserve" style "special edition" type of beer in which every drop is meant to be savored, I actually embrace that quality. A true model for this style!

D: I drank this brew during a movie with my wife. The entire time, I found myself in awe of it's flavor, hop profile (which is a tad reminicent of Two-Hearted), and about the brew itself as a sought after White Whale of a brew. Does it live up to the hype? Well, since I am one of the ones who helped hype it, I would say YES!

09-21-2010 01:54:59 | More by Chaney
aerozeppl

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to mikesgroove for this one.

A: Deep copper color with two fingers of white head after the pour. The head settling down had lacing. Really sticky lacing. Perfect pour for a DIPA.

S: The nose is nothing short of scrumtrilescent. Huge blast of citrus. Pineapple. Mango. Just an in your face hop blast. You do actually get a nice bit of malt as well.

T: Wow. Tons of citrus. Very west coast in nature. Pineapple is leading the charge. Has that sweetness that comes from an insane amount of hope and a big ABV beer. A little bit of booze is detectable but that is ok by me.

M: Mouthfeel is full and sticky. Creamy. It is everything you want in a DIPA.

D: I split the 12oz bottle and am regretting it already. This is going down in record time. Stupid drinkability for the ABV. It is expensive but it is also good. I would grab this when I was feeling saucy and needed a serious hop fix.

09-22-2010 23:26:36 | More by aerozeppl
nlmartin

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The beer was served chilled in an Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The beer has a very nice clear coppery orange coloration. The head has a pancake batter coloration. Speaking of pancakes the beer leaves an almost pancake batter lacing on my glass. Great head retention that stands up to my manly mustache.

Smell: Very resinous pine combines with grapefruit marmalade and covers a bit of caramel biscuit maltyness.

Taste: The hops really bite me on the lip. What can I say it warms my cold heart. I am really digging the pine resin hops. The grapefruit vias with the alcohol almost vodka and juice style. Caramel biscuit malt peaks its head out but gets slammed by hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The mouthfeel of the beer is medium. The alcohol is a bit hot but I think it works well. The hops are very forward and aggressive. No balance to be found and really non wanted. This was a beer that should have taken a bit more time to drink but I couldnt stop myself. Very tasty and well made. Man I wish I had more.

10-01-2010 12:11:31 | More by nlmartin
BBP

Ontario (Canada)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Burnt orange with great carbonation and a thin, yet resilient head which lasted the length of the drink.

S- Hops, citrus, some malts, and some booziness.

T- Hops are very upfront, and balanced incredibly by the malt. Grapefruit is all over this one, and really shines in the aftertaste. Some pine notes as well and as some caramel notes. I love how much they could cram into the flavor while maintaining balance between everything.

M- Full bodied, and quite creamy while at the same time being just a little bit sticky and dry.

D- This is an DIPA which has a lot of taste too it, but is very easy to drink at the same time. Somewhat scary how easy it is to drink this. I almost felt like my review had a countdown on it because I wanted another sip right after the last.

The alcohol sadly was slightly noticable though, I got little hints of it after some sips, and on one hand I'm glad it's there, to slow me down a bit from chugging this delicious brew back, but on the other hand it took away from the taste slightly. Removing that would have probably secured a "5" in the taste catergory. I think it's acceptable for all the taste they fit in.

Prime example of a DIPA, and I will have it again if I can.

10-06-2010 21:51:05 | More by BBP
merlin48

Kentucky

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Twelve ounce bottle pours a mostly clear golden amber body with a tall and creamy offwhite head. Retention is excellent and leaves a cap all the way to the finish. Lavish sticky lacing decorates the glass.

Aroma pounds the olfactory senses with a sledge hammer of hops. Grassy, earthy, leafy, citrusy, minty, and hempy notes all make their presence known. Not quite the cat urine hint that I got from Hopslam, but close. Softer notes of florals and ripe plums are underneath and betray a kinship with Two Hearted.

Mouthfeel is a creamy medium, with a smooth carbonation and some hop resins.

Taste is all about the hops. Sharp citrus, grassiness, leafy, floral, minty, earthy, with some pine sap underneath. A nectar like hint of honey sweetness struggles to balance the massive assault of muti-hop bitterness. Finishes with a lasting earthy and leafy bitterness. Alcohol is cleverly concealed except for some warmth at the end.

Superb effort. Seems to blend the better attributes of its kindred, Hopslam and Two Hearted, into a unique identiy of it own. A challenging DIPA that is rewarding and satisying.

10-17-2010 20:00:34 | More by merlin48
Spica66

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Light amber with excellent head formation and retention. Lots of lacing.

S: Wonderful Centennial hops are the star of the show. The malt is there, but only in a supporting role.

T: Bready malt at first, then the hops take over in a huge way! This tastes like Two Hearted's giant brother!! Really citrusy and slightly piney. The only DIPA I have had that tasted more balanced is Pliny the Elder.

M: Full-bodied and very smooth and round. the alcohol warms the chest. You know you are drinking a big beer.

D: My hangover the next day was testament to the easy way these went down the hatch!

12-30-2010 02:52:59 | More by Spica66
brew3crew

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A-pours a hazy yellow with minimum head.
S-more malt than hops. It is slowly fading with age
T-very malty the hops have faded alot and only a faint resemblaNce of what it was.
M-kind of dry and not very good.
D-down quickly. Not bad

This stuff was world class on top of its game. Now with a little bit of age on it. My ratings are from notes while the actual review is from the aged bottle. Do not age it.

01-31-2011 00:30:10 | More by brew3crew
DaveHack

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated 8/12/11. Served at 52 degrees, should've been just a bit colder.

This beer is beautiful. Dark golden color, surprisingly there is very little head.
The smell is fantastic, if just a tiny bit muted. Piney, with a bit of citrusy fruit. It smells great, but seems a little subdued, if that makes sense.
Deliciously bitter upfront, followed by a smooth malty, citrusy finish
I'm feeling this is prety thick as far as DIPAs go. Not overly so, but definately on the chewier side.
Overall, I'm digging it! Does Bell's make a bad beer?? If so I haven't found it yet, BM me if you find one. Cheers!

09-11-2011 03:43:21 | More by DaveHack
brewtus

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured 12 oz into teku. Bottled 8/8/13

A-pours pretty clear orange, single finger white head
S- breads, pine resin, lots of citrus, some bubblegum, some herb that I can't put my finger on
T- honey, deep piney hops, grapefruit, lemon, tastes so fresh, almost no malt caricature. Bitter hop finish
M- as expected, slightly thicker than your usual ipa
O- very very good, piney and citrusy just like I love my dipas. Great west past style, and way different then hopslam and not worth comparing. If you can find it grab a couple bottles. Glad I lucked into this single, the smell is just amazing

08-24-2013 02:09:10 | More by brewtus
StrongAleSkeptic

Arizona

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm stoked this has finally arrived in AZ!
A - Pours a light amber hue with abundant head of various sized bubbles. Settles nicely but retains a thick film of head, lacing heavily on the glass of the tulip.
S - Complex bouquet of floral and piny hops. Citrus and pine resins dominate the aroma character with a subtle light roasted malt backbone. Clean light grain notes interspersed.
T - Soft and warm bitterness intensifies into a complexity of hops. There a touch of citrus, mango, stone fruit mingled with a resiny pine and earthy tone. Domineering residual bitterness is slow to fade after the sip, with a spiciness that lingers on the palate. Very well balanced against the final gravity. Tinge of sweetness that is whisked away in wonderful hop nectar.
M - Warm, wet mouthfeel with a heavier-medium body. Still quite quaffable. Smooth as can be with just a faint hint at the attenuation capacity in the warmth.
O - I have been waiting quite some time to try this after finally falling in love with hopslam five-ish years ago. I had the pleasure of working with a few people from Michigan who couldn't stop raving about this offering. I can finally say it did not disappoint and exceeded expectation. Warm and smooth all around with an intense hop backbone that is still able to tip the scales at such a high gravity.

09-26-2013 04:59:36 | More by StrongAleSkeptic
CuriousMonk

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Big Hunt in DC. Poured into a snifter glass. The Oracle places hop intensity first and foremost, making only the slightest concession to malt & balance. The fireworks start with the floral aromatic punch of two separate dry-hop sessions with Amarillo and NZ Pacific Jade. Resinous, citrusy hop flavors mixed with aggressive bitterness from a massive kettle addition deliver on that aromatic promise. What a great DIPA!

10-25-2011 16:35:31 | More by CuriousMonk
KickbacksSteve

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottled 8/9/13. Aroma includes a unique blend of earthy, spicy, citrussy and piney hops. Strong malt backbone but really really loaded with hops, obviously. Taste is very bitter but not damagingly so, therse's much more going on here. Nice balance and loaded with juicy, resinous hops with a really lovely sweetness on the back end. Glad I got to experience this amazingly delicious beer.

10-23-2013 03:24:58 | More by KickbacksSteve
nandemo1

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a clear gold with a giant cascading white head, definitely 2+ fingers. Head settled out over time and left a lot of sticky lacing.

Smells heavily of piney hops with some sweet citrus notes. Taste is also very piney but not overly bitter. Alcohol is present me up as I get through the glass.

Feels medium bodied with decent carbonation. Very smooth but a little hot at times.

10-09-2011 23:54:16 | More by nandemo1
superspak

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 8/10/2012. Pours a dense lightly hazy golden orange color with a nice 2 finger dense off white head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a thick cap that lingers. Thick soapy lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of huge grapefruit, orange rind, pineapple, mango, lemon zest, floral, caramel, pine, grass, and light herbal spiciness. Incredible aromas that are insanely balanced and complex. I love this smell. Taste of big grapefruit, orange rind, pineapple, floral, mango, pine, grass, caramel, and herbal spiciness. Good amount of pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, tropical fruits, pine, floral, caramel, grass, and herbal spiciness on the finish for a while. Fantastic flavor balance and complexity; with a great balance of bitterness and sweetness. Minimal cloying hop flavor and bitterness. Medium carbonation and full bodied; with a creamy, slick, and sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is an incredible DIPA! Awesome flavor balance and complexity; and very smooth to sip on. World class.

09-11-2012 04:00:10 | More by superspak
MNBeerGeek

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is my kind of IPA. Delicious hop bomb with some malt to balance it out. Pours a nice clear honey color. Not quite a one finger head that dissipates pretty quickly. Great lacing sticks to the glass. Smells very citrusy and resiny. The malt I'd rather hidden in the aroma. A hint of grassiness that ties it all together. Actually quite grassy as it warms. Great fresh citrus flavor. Bitter pine. Lemons possibly. Nice malt comes through in the finish without being sweet. Mouthfeel is full but nicely carbonated. Overall, damn this is a delicious IPA. Wasn't sure what to expect, but wow. Hop bomb meets nice malt balance meets superb drinkability. The 10% ABV is nicely hidden.

08-25-2013 03:22:03 | More by MNBeerGeek
alleykatking

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a semi-hazy golden orange with a hint of a reddish tint to it. Nice 2 finger dirty white..almost light tannish head stays for a good long while. Massive sticky lacing is left on the sides of the glass.

S- You could smell this beer right as soon as you pryed the bottlecap off. Big earthy and floral hop smell with this one. I mean huge. It takes over all other aroma that your nose picks up. Citrus hoppy (pineapple and grapefruit)undertones to this as well. As it sits there and warms a little the sweeter malts also come through a bit more although still covered pretty clean by the musty hop smell.

T- This is what I thought it would be like when I first heard this was being made. Insane hop bitterness and slight citrus sweetness come through in the forefront of this beer. This mellows out a little bit in the middle where the malts come through with a slight sweetness. The hops are all bitter in the middle as well and stay that way till the ending which has a huge earthy bitter hop bite to it. I think the balance in this beer is good but I personally enjoy a nice bitter beer every once in a while and this pulls it off beautifully.

M- This has a nice medium mouthfeel to it. A little chewy I think but still good. Carbonation is dead on and lets the beer leave a trail of piney hop wreckage on the palate. Big hops resin left on everything. It's almost like I just ate a bunch of hops and just sucked on them. Nice bitter hop after taste. Makes you want to drink more and more if you like the earthy hops.

D- This is a very drinkable beer in my opinion. You have to like bitter hop beers to enjoy this one I think though. While I could easily drink a 6er of this I would want to savor each one. Another great DIPA from Bell's which to be honest I think can't really go wrong with making one in the first place.

09-27-2009 17:30:29 | More by alleykatking
PerzentRizen

Mississippi

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into a Duvel glass this is the second time I've had this beer in the past week thanks to brewdan. I still have one more and I think I'll enjoy that tomorrow night..first I'll have to consult the Oracle. This beer is just too good to put down. The color is a glowing copper and the head is nothing more than some collected bubbes as an island in the vast sea of heavenly nectar.

The aroma is piney hops, sweet malt, and white peppery notes. This beer tends to really open up around 45 degrees; much below that and the aromas really are sealed in.

The taste is intensely bitter hops followed by a chewed asprin twang then to a more balanced intensely sweet malt then back to a floral hop flavor. It's almost as if this beer ate hopslam and shat it out but in a good way. The intense honey sweetness is no where in site but you can just about find everthing else you like about hopslam.

The mouthfeel is chewy and perfect for the style. This is much like Moylan hopsickle in mouthfeel. Oracle almost seems like syrup until you start to swallow then it gives in a great way. The intense flavors coat the tongue and the hop resins make the mouth smack while the texture is smooth and creamy.

Drinkability is tough. You want to drink six of these but know you can't. This beer has to be around 9-12% abv. Also the price and rarity will stop you if you can't help yourself. At $4 a bottle and harder to find than a virgin college sophomore this beer is on everyone's want list...the Oracle told me.

09-29-2009 00:44:49 | More by PerzentRizen
The Oracle from Bell's Brewery, Inc.