The Oracle - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

The OracleThe Oracle

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2009)
macrosmatic

3.36/5  rDev -20.4%

Thanks to Cyclone8 for this one! Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into an Upland pint glass.

A: Pours quite hazy, bronze-ish gold, with a half-finger of white head and an average amount of small bubble visible carbonation.

S: Pine, caramel and biscuit malt sweetness, and bitter citrus. Not a huge aroma for a DIPA.

T: Caramel malts, a lot of bitterness, some pine and the bitterest of citrus rind hops, and quite a bit of boozy alcohol. As it warms, the booze and bitterness increases up front, then fades into some malt with caramel sweetness.

M: Medium body with quite a bit of carbonation sensation. The alcohol it quite noticeable, but nothing like DFH 120 Minutes.

O: This embodies a lot of the characteristics I don't like in a DIPA. Big alcohol flavor, caramel, and bitterness without the underlying hop flavors to keep me interested. While not a drain-pour, this isn't anything that I'll go back to.

10-18-2013 16:24:39 | More by macrosmatic

Lukass

08-30-2014 01:12:24 | More by Lukass
Homers_Beer_Odyssey

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

APPEARANCE - Clear orange with a off-white 2-finger head that lasts. Good lacing

AROMA/SCENT - Sweet, citrusy.

TASTE - Bitter, dry. ABV well-hidden.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Beer is light, well-carbonated, with a pleasantly creamy head.

VALUE - A bit pricey

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - A very fine beer indeed. Quaffable.

08-30-2014 01:06:34 | More by Homers_Beer_Odyssey

ThatsThatDude

08-29-2014 21:44:25 | More by ThatsThatDude
ksimons

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a bright golden orange color with a fingers worth of white head. Tropical fruits, citrus and grapefruit smell.
Taste is great. Light caramel and bready malt, tropical fruits, and good amount of citrus and grapefruit in the finish. Medium body with moderate carbonation.
Overall a delicious DIPA, hard to tell it is 10%, with a nice long bitter finish

08-29-2014 21:34:59 | More by ksimons
dwoolley1

08-29-2014 20:32:44 | More by dwoolley1
woodychandler

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

I am supposed to be getting out of the bottled beer business, but I saw a notification come across that these were (briefly) locally available and since I am unemployed and disengaged, I hied right over and bought one.

From the bottle: "A double IPA that is sure to make you as all-knowing as Pythia. It's just a matter of interpretation."

From my past: I will NEVER forget teaching Summer (2004) School and one of the students pronounced it as "Thee Oh-Rack-Uhl" and soon, the entire class began to pronounce it that way, despite my attempts to correct them.

Enough looking backwards into the past! I Pop!ped the cap, began an aggro pour and sat back as a pseudo-cascade morphed into three fingers of dense, rocky, eggnog-colored head with frightening retention. I had already angered The Oracle and I had no one to blame but myself, since #TheOldLady has repeatedly voiced her displeasure with regard to how I pour beer (among other things). I watched in awe as it settled, producing sticky lacing that only one of Zeus' thunderbolts would be capable of removing. Color was solid Gold (SRM = 5) with NE-quality clarity, but since we were going Greek today, only Midas and Croesus appeared before me. Usually, I discount their nonsense, but I was also in the presence of The Oracle and I did not want to incur her wrath. I fell to my knees and held the chalice out to them from the position of a humble supplicant. As I did so, I caught a whiff of its nose, a majestic smell, like an entire pine forest had been felled and jammed into the bottle. It was actually NE-plus clarity because this time, The Oracle was going to look into my future! I felt faint. I began to fall backwards when Croesus reached out and grabbed me, bringing the chalice to my lips that I might also partake. I suddenly realized that they respected me, which is why they routinely showed up in my kitchen. I had been mocking them, wrongheadedly, and I vowed to embrace each of them on their next visit. The mouthfeel was a thick and viscous as honey. There was an initial burn on my tongue, followed by a glorious wash of hops and my eyes opened wide. The Oracle was somehow in my psyche and I saw my entire future laid out before me and I understood why mortals should not dabble in such arcane arts! I wanted to forget everything that I had seen, but there was no turning back. I was to become a King Midas of hops. Everything that I would touch after a certain point would become laced with hops! My tongue fell from between my lips and lolled around, overwhelmed by the intensity of the hops inherent in this beer. It was not meant for mortal consumption and yet The Oracle, Midas and Croesus had seen fit to confer me with some of it. The finish was as dry as the desert islands of Alonissos and as my throat constricted, I fell back, into Midas' arms only to awake on my living room couch. Was it all just a dream-like vision or did I really drink this beer? Only Pythia knows for sure!

08-29-2014 18:14:16 | More by woodychandler

KornWallace

Date: 8/28/14
Location: DeCicco's Harrison
Glassware: Snifter

Appearance: Amber to Orange in color with a cloudy fluffy white head. The head is wildly long lasting. Opaque and fairly easy to see through when held to the light. Very nice cling
Aroma: The hops give off a truck load of fruit aroma. Rinds of grapefruit, mango, and pineapple hit hard. In the back there is a light bread malt.
Taste: The fruit again is the star- the hops attack and overpower nearly every part of the palate. Intense hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Medium to medium heavy body. Medium carbonation. The hop resins sit on the tongue for ages and leaves lip smacking dry bitterness.

08-29-2014 04:21:55 | More by KornWallace

08-29-2014 00:25:57 | More by dcisco44
kenzilka007

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

08-28-2014 23:47:00 | More by kenzilka007
The Oracle from Bell's Brewery, Inc.