The Oracle - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

The OracleThe Oracle

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2009

Reviews: 703 | Hads: 2,369
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Poured from the bottle into a Duvel tulip. Body is clear golden-orange with a small white head. Nice lace left behind. 4.25.

S: Sugar-cookie dough malt foundation is followed up by tropical fruity hops.

T: Light malt foundation - again, I think of sugar-cookie dough - is overrun by the hops: tropical fruit salad and pine at the finish. Lingering raw pine needles on the palate in the aftertaste. Heat from ABV is noted on the back end of the sip and in the belly.

M: Medium in heft with a slightly gritty feel to it - perhaps that overly-bitter pine needle sensation creates that feeling. Still quite nice though.

O: A very good DIPA. Lingering piney hop bitterness let's you know this one is a hop bomb.

O: Real nice (731 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11%

2014 Vintage
12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance
Golden amber with a short wispy head that dissipates quickly. Slightly hazy with medium-light carbonation.

Nose
Papaya, tangerine, peach, grapefruit, pine, and caramel.

Taste
Papaya, tangerine, and navel orange. Sweetened grapefruit juice and grapefruit zest. Nicely balanced caramel and honey maltiness. Pine sap, zesty green florals, and touches of onion. Slight suggestions of peach and honeydew melon rind.

Mouthfeel
Medium-plus bodied, semi-dry, smooth, and silky with a medium bitterness.

Overall
Always amaze-balls, Bells. I wish this stuff was easier to come by.

---------------------

2013 Vintage
12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance
Golden orange with 1/2 a finger of white head that dissipates quickly. Hazy with low-moderate carbonation.

Nose
Navel orange, tangerine, papaya, mango, pineapple and candy sugar.

Taste
A lot of citrus and tropical fruits. Navel orange, tangerine, white grapefruit, papaya, mango and pineapple. Thin candy sugar backbone with notes of honey. Finishes with good amounts of pine resin, florals and dried grass.

Mouthfeel
Full bodied, juicy, crisp, oily, sticky and moderately bitter.

Overall
Yeah, it's a pretty freakin' good DIPA. (1,252 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is pine, with hints of citrus and caramel. Taste is piney with a matching malt backbone, that gets increasingly bitter. The finish is bitter, bordering on unpleasant. (173 characters)

12oz bottle, dated 08/08/2014, poured into SA glass.

Hazy, golden-honey elixir, one-finger white head dissipates to thin rim. Scant lacing.

Heavy pine, citrus, subtle spice and earth tones.

Citrus, mangoes, spice, pine. Alcohol after taste brings this one down a bit.

Medium body, alcohol presence.

Good not great DIPA. (328 characters)

12oz bottle from 2014 poured into 16oz snifter

A- Hazy copper color with thin white head, lots of lacing
S- Subtle sweetness, a bit of dank hops, but not too big of a nose here
T- Sweetness, then big citrus peel-bitter- hops. Like limon and orange peel in almost too bitter of a way. Leaves me with a bitter, almost metalic taste.
M- Medium, leave the mouth sticky with saliva

O- Good, but not great to me. The bitter citrus peel that pushes its way to metalic is holds it back for me. But just one man's opinion. (521 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%

Perhaps it was my much too high expectation of this that I was let down. I've had many examples of DIPAs, and The Oracle didn't live up to most.

The pour leaves me optimistic as it immediately appears like a glass of thick and chewy hops. Which it is. Brownish copper (like its label) in color with a two finger head, the hops come right at the nose, and I'm still thinking this will be awesome.
Ubiquitous hop flavors of pine and grapefruit are nice, but the bitterness kicks in too early before the hop complexity can get going.
Also this lacks the palate leveling quality of hop resin soaking into the taste buds. Bells, give us Hopslam twice/year, and take The Oracle back in for an overhaul... (708 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

The Oracle smells of hops front to back with a little bit of booze mixed in. It pours a nice orange blossom honey color with a two finger head. Good lacing and carbonation. The taste is slightly boozy on the top but is covered well by the citrus hop that stays with you till midway though then the pine and booze finish it out. Feels lighter in the mouth than most dipas but still had a nice hop oil feel. Overall it was a solid beer. I am looking forward to seeing how well it ages. I would buy it again any day but won't spend a lot of time searching. (557 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a deep orange amber with snow white lacing that looks mesmerizing.

Pine, citrus, earthy, fresh, spicy, and some cucumber(?).

This definitely packs a hop punch. Not much malt to speak of. Just very citrusy, resinous, and piney hops with very little malts, but are on the spicy end.

Mouthfeel is sticky and resinous, perfect for an (I)IPA.

Overall, not outstanding, but worth trying two maybe six times. (412 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -1.2%

PKGD 8/08/14

Hazy orange with an attractively creamy head that sticks to the surface and leaves drippy sheets behind. Aroma certainly hints at a high ABV, but hides the booze fairly well behind a wall of orange, tangerine, lime, pineapple, and floral hops. Just a bit of caramel under it all. Flavor is hoppy and smooth...juicy citrus bitterness, pine resin stickiness, melon, peach, and apricot. Malt presence is low, contributing a touch of residual sweetness for balance. Creamy, bitter mouthfeel finishes dry and leaves a warming sensation in the throat. Pretty nice overall, I'm glad the residual sugars are held at bay. (632 characters)

A: Bright gold with a nice white head to it. The lacing on this beer is phenomenal.

S: Citrusy and fruity

T: Tastes a little more fruity than Hopslam and I am a little disappointed with the aftertaste.

M: Good and full

O: I think this is a good DIPA and I would recommend trying it yourself but this isn't something I would kill to have again (348 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -16%

Appearance: pours with a glowing golden orange color. Finger worth of frothy white head. Active carbonation is a touch above average for the style but very fitting. Sticky rings of lacing left behind with each drink.

Smell: pine and oily hops jump out right away. Heavy saturated citrus with notes of grapefruit, tangerines, and ripe oranges. A potent malt backbone packs a semi-sweet punch of caramel and sour dough bread. Bitter hops give a welcome bite on the back end. Resinous pine and hop oils carry throughout and are felt on the finish.

Taste: Sweet malts and touches of booze immediately warm the palate. Potent saturated citrus quickly follows on the front. Joining force and evening out the potent hops is malts notes of bread, toffee, and molasses. Bright oily hops and some herbal pine notes bright this beer full circle.

Mouthfeel: Lots of hop oils. Bitterness and sweet malts play well off one another.

Overall: Lots of similar characteristics to Hopslam. Tasty but nothing I would really go out of my way for. So many DIPAs these days, this one is another face in the crowd. (1,117 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Had a chance to obtain a few bottles of this and tried it for the first time alongside Mars. I wanted to get a good side by side comparison of two DIPAs from Bells.

Although this was a solid DIPA, I did not like this as much as many of the other great DIPAs out there and even side by side with Mars, it did not stack up to another similar beer from the same brewery.

I thought the beer had a slightly harsh alcoholic burn. Part of me thinks this beer could actually mellow out and develop nicely with some age but that is always a tricky proposition with a Double IPA.

Glad I got to try this beer but not one of my favorites. (633 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

APPEARANCE - Clear orange with a off-white 2-finger head that lasts. Good lacing

AROMA/SCENT - Sweet, citrusy.

TASTE - Bitter, dry. ABV well-hidden.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Beer is light, well-carbonated, with a pleasantly creamy head.

VALUE - A bit pricey

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - A very fine beer indeed. Quaffable. (323 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a bright golden orange color with a fingers worth of white head. Tropical fruits, citrus and grapefruit smell.
Taste is great. Light caramel and bready malt, tropical fruits, and good amount of citrus and grapefruit in the finish. Medium body with moderate carbonation.
Overall a delicious DIPA, hard to tell it is 10%, with a nice long bitter finish (359 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

I am supposed to be getting out of the bottled beer business, but I saw a notification come across that these were (briefly) locally available and since I am unemployed and disengaged, I hied right over and bought one.

From the bottle: "A double IPA that is sure to make you as all-knowing as Pythia. It's just a matter of interpretation."

From my past: I will NEVER forget teaching Summer (2004) School and one of the students pronounced it as "Thee Oh-Rack-Uhl" and soon, the entire class began to pronounce it that way, despite my attempts to correct them.

Enough looking backwards into the past! I Pop!ped the cap, began an aggro pour and sat back as a pseudo-cascade morphed into three fingers of dense, rocky, eggnog-colored head with frightening retention. I had already angered The Oracle and I had no one to blame but myself, since #TheOldLady has repeatedly voiced her displeasure with regard to how I pour beer (among other things). I watched in awe as it settled, producing sticky lacing that only one of Zeus' thunderbolts would be capable of removing. Color was solid Gold (SRM = 5) with NE-quality clarity, but since we were going Greek today, only Midas and Croesus appeared before me. Usually, I discount their nonsense, but I was also in the presence of The Oracle and I did not want to incur her wrath. I fell to my knees and held the chalice out to them from the position of a humble supplicant. As I did so, I caught a whiff of its nose, a majestic smell, like an entire pine forest had been felled and jammed into the bottle. It was actually NE-plus clarity because this time, The Oracle was going to look into my future! I felt faint. I began to fall backwards when Croesus reached out and grabbed me, bringing the chalice to my lips that I might also partake. I suddenly realized that they respected me, which is why they routinely showed up in my kitchen. I had been mocking them, wrongheadedly, and I vowed to embrace each of them on their next visit. The mouthfeel was a thick and viscous as honey. There was an initial burn on my tongue, followed by a glorious wash of hops and my eyes opened wide. The Oracle was somehow in my psyche and I saw my entire future laid out before me and I understood why mortals should not dabble in such arcane arts! I wanted to forget everything that I had seen, but there was no turning back. I was to become a King Midas of hops. Everything that I would touch after a certain point would become laced with hops! My tongue fell from between my lips and lolled around, overwhelmed by the intensity of the hops inherent in this beer. It was not meant for mortal consumption and yet The Oracle, Midas and Croesus had seen fit to confer me with some of it. The finish was as dry as the desert islands of Alonissos and as my throat constricted, I fell back, into Midas' arms only to awake on my living room couch. Was it all just a dream-like vision or did I really drink this beer? Only Pythia knows for sure! (2,971 characters)

Date: 8/28/14
Location: DeCicco's Harrison
Glassware: Snifter

Appearance: Amber to Orange in color with a cloudy fluffy white head. The head is wildly long lasting. Opaque and fairly easy to see through when held to the light. Very nice cling
Aroma: The hops give off a truck load of fruit aroma. Rinds of grapefruit, mango, and pineapple hit hard. In the back there is a light bread malt.
Taste: The fruit again is the star- the hops attack and overpower nearly every part of the palate. Intense hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Medium to medium heavy body. Medium carbonation. The hop resins sit on the tongue for ages and leaves lip smacking dry bitterness. (658 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -11%

Bottle purchased at Nathaniel Square Corner Store in Rochester, NY.

Pours a dark orange, with a half inch head, and a lot of lacing.

Smells quite floral and piney, with a bit of grapefruit. No malt is noticed.

The taste is the same- incredibly piney and floral, just smacks you over the head with hop flavors. It's exceedingly bitter, almost to the point of a problem. The bitterness overwhelms any other flavors that might have been intended by the brewer. There's a bit of sweet syrupy malt flavor. No alcohol is present that I can tell.

This one has a fairly big, sweet syrupy body and mouthfeel, with a medium amount of carbonation. A bit of a slow sipper.

Not the best DIPA I've had, there are a few problems here. (726 characters)

App 4.75, Nose 4.25, Taste 4.25, Feel 4.75, Overall 4.25
Bottled on 8/8/14 and enjoyed on 8/24. Poured from a bottle into a Goose Island tulip. Slightly hazy and light orange in color. Low to moderate carbonation, but a rough pour produces a dense, creamy head with good retention and lacing. The nose has sweet bready notes, grapefruit, stewed apricots, and wheat thins.

Very creamy feel for the style. An impressive malt backbone easily supports a pretty potent hop bill that provides an intense quinine-like bitterness. Lots of gnarly grapefruit, pine, and flowery flavors exist all along the palate and linger strongly on the finish. No trace of booziness. The hops basically devour everything.

This is about the third time I've had this beer, but the first time I've bothered to review it. I'm glad I waited because it tastes better than I remember it, though I still don't think it's quite worth the price. (914 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle, PKGD 8/08/14, batch 13367, 10% ABV. This is one I've wanted to try for a few years, but never put in any sort of effort to find it.
A 4.75 - hazy and golden in color, frothy off-white head holds good retention leaving thick lacing on the glass
S 3.75 - citric, grassy, tropical - nothing overly spectacular
T 4 - big and bold, pungently bitter with pine and grapefruit rind punishing the palate, biscuity grain with caramel, bread, grass, faintly tropical
M 4.25 - full body, ample carbonation, quite boozy, it's dry and bitter with the pine and grapefruit zest riding out the finish
O 4 - not as balanced as some other notable Bell's DIPAs. I'm not complaining, but I don't think I'd seek it out again. I'll just wait until January for some Hopslam. (763 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

Alcohol is too noticeable for me. It is very warming right from the first sip. Not what I am looking for in a DIPA. Some sweetness with nice hop flavor but alcohol is on the back end too. Just not what I am looking for in a DIPA. (233 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

poured 12oz bottle into snifter.

A -Hazy orange with some amber and a 2 finger white head. Fades to a ring and leaves loads of lacing on the glass.

S - Sweet bread drenched in caramel. Hops bring pineapple, some citrus, and pine. Smell is very pleasant and more of a citrus/tropical IIPA.

T - Starts off with some sweet bread and caramel. Then the hops assault your palate viciously. Pine and pineapple take the first hit, then come some citrus of orange and grapefruit rind. Finish is quite bitter and there is some booze to it.

M -Medium body with nice carbonation. Alcohol is warming and noticeable.

O - A nice big IIPA from Bells that seeks balance, but really brings the hops, more so than Hopslam IMO. (715 characters)

Poured into a New Glarus Pilsner glass.

Two finger head, clear and a clover honey color. The beer is very juicy and creamy. Hop character is mild, citrusy, orange candies, honey, malt, toasted breads. Awesome beer grab one, it's similar to FFF Apocalypse Cow. It's like a DIPA ice cream that's melted in your glass. (318 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -0.7%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 8/8/2014. Pours slightly hazy bright orange color with a 2 finger dense and rocky off white head, with incredible retention, that reduces to a large cap that lasts. Dense soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, floral, grass, pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of bright citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, floral, grass, pine, light caramel, and floral/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine/citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pinapple, lemon/orange zest, citrus rind, pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity of juicy citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; with a good malt/bitterness balance and minimal cloying bitterness after the finish. Medium carbonation and fairly full bodied; with a moderately slick/sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is fairly well hidden with a small warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent DIPA. All around great complexity and balance of citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; and fairly smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A very enjoyable offering. (1,464 characters)

This pours with a glowing orange color and a stiff mound of bright white foam.

The nose is light, for the style, but I get earthy dankness, pithy citrus rinds, apricots, lemon and tea leaf.

At first the flavor really knocks you over with hops but just a few minutes it settles and opens up. Pine and bitterness are more prevalent but I get some grapefruit, apricot, honey, tea leaf, barley, caramel and cilantro. This is very bitter and astringent but has no alcohol bite.

Well crafted and very complex this is worth a try but not necessarily worth the $.35 an ounce price tag. (582 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Deep yellow pour with a huge white head that holds on for a long time. Hoppy - citrus aroma. Taste is grapefruit style citrus with a ton of hops and bitterness from the beginning till the end. Almost like a non coated pill that gets stuck on your tongue. A bunch of pine too. Very slick resiny feel to it. I know my rdev is going to be way off on this an I am in the minority, but for a DIPA, I find this to be very unbalanced and not real enjoyable. As an American IPA, it I would score differently. If you like an IBU slap to the face then go for it for sure. Bell's makes some great beers. They have always been hit or miss with me though. This one is a miss personally. (673 characters)

The Oracle from Bell's Brewery, Inc.