The Oracle - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

The OracleThe Oracle

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
GRPunk

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Bottle (batch #9306) poured into a tulip glass.

A- A normal pour produced about 2 fingers of pillowy, off-white to tan head. The head is sustained at about 1/2 a finger (until eventually falling to a full lace) and leaves all kinds of sticky, fluffy, rings and spots about the glass. The body is a neat combination of gold and peach tones that border on pink. There's a slight haze and light carbonation.

S- The intial aroma was full of hops, lots of earthy/flowery hops with some notes of citrus. It was like sniffing a hop bag. With a little warmth and another whiff or two, the sweeter malts come through. The strong hop aroma eventually comes off with a bit of a pleasant mustiness.

T- So nice. A great mix of bold hops and a sweet malt background. The hops hit up front, give way to the malts, and come back in the finish. You get the early hops in the form of citrus and earthy flavors, a nice sweetness through the middle, and a drying finish. Any notion of high ABV is well hidden.

M- Fairly thick without becoming syrupy. Carbonation is light and the head retention means you sip through some fluffy bubbles. There's a good bite from the hops and a clean, dry finish.

D- It tastes so good, I just want more. The alcohol is well hidden, but definitely makes a statement with a little light-headedness. I'd pick this one up again and put it just ahead of Hopslam as far as Bells' DIPAs go.

09-25-2009 22:50:27 | More by GRPunk
jampics2

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Bottle from a trade with TasteTester - thanks for the hookup!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Bell's Pint Glass.

A - golden orange. Really looks nice but nothing insane. Small white head that sticks around, probably stuck to the hop oils ;)

S - smells of spicy hops, a bit of citrus (I've had more citrus-y beers), but mostly a nice dank hoppy spice. Not too pine-y - I've had a few beers that exhibit the same smells, but this puts them all together really well!!

T - WOAH! Two sips totally destroyed my palette. Seriously dank, hoppy, bitter, and ruinous. I like DIPA's all day, but I must admit I tend to like just a little more balance - this is waaay bitter and lingers on and on. I would like this more if they had chosen going one of two ways, with the decision between a sweeter malt or a slightly more citrus-y sweet hop (this is more spicey to me than others have described). Finishes a bit too hot for my tastes, but gets much more tolerable when paired with a salty snack.

M - Mouthfeel is exceptional, like Hopslam - these little bubbles won't quit. Carb is perfect, just perfect mouth on a DIPA. Bells is king of this.

D - Drinkability is hard to rate honestly. I could drink many more, but would I taste them? Above average but not A material IMO.

I was lucky enough to score a 6 pack, so I'll need to give it another shot or 5. Good, but not legendary - I'd take Hopslam 1,000,000x's over this, but glad to have tried it. This is for those who like their hops spicey, bold, and unforgiving. All in all, glad to see Bell's still pushing new flavors. This just isn't anything monumental to me.

09-25-2009 22:21:30 | More by jampics2
koopa

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottle (batch 9306) received as an extra in a trade with iceicebaby....sean you are one of my favorite traders on this site, you totally rock!

Appearance: Cloudy but radiant orange color body with a 1 finger white crown that shows a touch of retention and plenty of lace.

Smell: Oh mama this is citrus hop paradise. Loads of pineapple, grapefruit, a touch of malt, and some floral hop notes too.

Taste: same as the nose but a healthy dose of hop bitterness to boot. A touch too bitter IMHO but otherwise great.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, a touch chewy, could possibly use a bit more carbonation.

Drinkability: Only thing holding it back from a better score is the hop bitterness.

When I poured and smelled it I was thinking "Is this Bell's Pliny Clone?" but upon tasting it I don't think that anymore. Not as well balanced as Pliny but a nice addition to the IIPA market!

09-25-2009 21:13:22 | More by koopa
orbitalr0x

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Have been very excited for this one. Pours into my glass a brilliant reddish orange with a two finger head of creamy foam on top that leaves behind patchy lacing. Hops are there before I even bring the glass close! Huge resinous citrus, grapefruit, tropical and floral aromas burst up at you. Sweet malt backbone with candied accents. The hop oils are so bright it is like inhaling the perfume of a fresh handful of cones. Intoxicating.

First sip brings a wall of hops upfront with tropical citric tones, grapefruit along with some floral and pine notes. Flows down with sweet malts and a bit of an earthy character. Huge tongue wrenching bitterness throughout. Resinous hop oils linger on in the finish along with lasting bitterness.

Mouthfeel is dense, rich and creamy with good carbonation. A bit slick, but goes down pretty smooth. Overall, just another top notch DIPA from Bell's. I think I still might like Hopslam a bit better, but in the interim this is quite tasty. Thanks hoppymeal.

09-25-2009 02:00:53 | More by orbitalr0x
pwoods

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Steve for sharing this bottle.

12oz. Brown bottle into a snifter.

A: Hazy golden orange. Moderate head with a bit of retention. Decent sticky lacing.

S: Lots of stinky, resinous hops. Somewhat catty. Plenty of citrus with enough malt.

T/M: Bitterness isn't huge and niether is the citrus. Plenty of the sticky stinky hop resin. Lots of malts, deep and rich. Pleasant spiciness in the back. Body is nearly full with good carbo. Sticky feel.

D: Drinks ok and pretty interesting.

09-25-2009 01:21:18 | More by pwoods
BelgianAleSlut

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours bright orange with small white foam that quickly disappears.

Smells heavy of grapefruit and citrus, little maltiness.

Tastes as though grapefruit has been added. Low carbonation. Not getting much malt body through the bitterness of the hop. There is something in there though rounding off the corners.

I was expecting a bold DIPA/IIPA but it seems this beer has taken a little different course than double-double. However, its mellowness is kind of appreciated. Very nice, if muted, taste.

The beer is lazy in the glass but does react on the tongue when sipping. Mouthfeel is pretty good for a sipper of this type.

Drinkability is good assuming the known limit is 1-2.

Is this the future of DIPAs? I guess The Oracle would know.

09-25-2009 00:12:57 | More by BelgianAleSlut
Pedro07

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Grabbed a single seeing as limited a brew this is.

A: Poured into a regular pint glass. Great look. Oberon-ish glowing color, slightly hazy color (love haze!). Wonderful head, rather light colored. Great clinging lace.

S: Wow, lots of citrus, not a whole load of grass but rather orange-rind. Good hops!

T: Mmmm, citrus. I shouldn't have read reviews on this one before trying it, but I did. Someone earlier described it as "Oberon on steroids"....YES. This beer's been in the gym for a while and I like it. It actually has a sweet citrus taste after it warms some! Moderate bitterness in the back/finish...enough to let you know it's been lifting "hop" iron.

M: Very pleasant. Actually smooth while being delightfully carbonated. As in most heavy pale's or IPA's, it's mouth coating.

D: Yeah, I could have a few of these. High five Larry and team!!

09-23-2009 00:07:50 | More by Pedro07
GbVDave

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint.

Batch # 9306

A: Pours a hazy, glowing, apricot color with a gorgeous looking dallop of light orange/eggshell colored foam up top. Very bubbly and sticky. Retention is fantastic and a ton of lace is left behind.

S: Massive amount of pineapple in the nose. Pineapple mixed with fresh cut grass, dried wildflowers, floral hops, caramel, and toasty malt.

T: The tastes continues the theme started by the smell. Huge sweet pineapple, herbal/floral hops, a dash of pine, caramel, grass clippings, and toasted malt.

M: A perfect balance of sweet & juicy pineapple, peppery & herbal hops, and dry & astringent malt. Incredibly long lasting finish. This is what a DIPA should feel like!

D: Not sure of the ABV but I'm sure it's pretty stout and this drinks like an APA/IPA around 5 1/2 - 6%. This goes to show that big beers CAN be refreshing and aren't necessarily a chore to drink. Consider me awestruck!

09-21-2009 23:51:23 | More by GbVDave
jt31914

A: One finger of head - hazy gold/amber color. The beer almost goes from light on the outside to amber in the center. Slightly darker for a form of an IPA - head disappeared quickly.

S: Very citrus type smell - specifically with orange. Also has a hint of hops.

T: Intense citrus/orange taste; it is hoppy as it goes down yet the aftertaste leaves orange in the mouth. The beer balances the citrus and bitterness phenomenally; the orange is the dominant flavor, but does not overtake the beer.

M: Bubbly and smooth. Very refreshing.

D: Highly drinkable - this smooth and refreshing beer is one I could easily down a six pack of.

The bitterness of this beer comes out as it warms, which only makes the whole drink better.

This beer is like Oberon on steroids!

09-21-2009 04:30:22 | More by jt31914
rudylaw

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

12oz bottle courtesy of hoppymeal. Thanks Derek!

Pours an extremely bright orange with a huge white head that has plenty of lacing.

Smelly of juicy orange, tangerines, melon and pineapple. Not like any IPA I've ever had!

The taste is an explosion. Hoppy with pineapple stealing the show. Juicy, juicy pineapple. I'm not catching much of the orange and tangerine I originally smelled, but that's fine. There is a tiny hint of caramel balance present as well.

The mouthfeel is amazing! Perfect, medium carbonation. Unbelievably drinkable. Just an absolute frigging pleasure. Bell's continues to not be happy to just make beers, they're happy to crush styles into oblivion. One of the best DIPA's ever! Make this an annual and DISTRIBUTE!

09-21-2009 02:33:54 | More by rudylaw
kirok1999

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

I really didn't know much about this beer before one was offered to me so there were not too many expectations.
Pours a sticky and chunky hazy orange. Tons of head and super sticky lace. Want to know how many sips you took? Just look at the glass and count the rings.
Smells very sweet, lots of caramel and sweet fruits.
Taste is just massive! Very sweet and creamy, lots of caramel, bits of milk chocolate, and yet the brutal amount of hops brings all the sweetness down. This thing is a battle in a glass. The bitter hops and massive sweetness compete and no one loses.
Feels rich and creamy, well carbonated and very smooth. Very easy to drink but only if you sip slowly.

09-21-2009 02:25:01 | More by kirok1999
FrognutUnl

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

A - Lovely three finger slightly off white head with decent retention leaving a good amount of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Hazy golden amber color. So far so good.

S - Big resinous, grapefruity nose. I must admit not a whole lot of complexity, but still smells delicious.

T - Wow, this certainly has some bite to it. The hops provide a resinous, spicy bitterness with a fair amount of grapefruit. Malt comes in a distant second to the overpowering hops, but provides welcome relief in the finish.

M - Dry with a medium body.

D - I love everything about this brew, if Bell's were smart it would be part of their regular/seasonal line up.

09-21-2009 01:40:25 | More by FrognutUnl
fishbrew

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Purchased two 12oz. bottles from the Bell's General Store in September 2009. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance:
Poured with a two finger head and left beautiful lacing. Light orange, golden hue. I would estimate 11 SRM.

Smell:
The most intense sweet pineapple aroma I've encountered in an IPA. I've often thought that a beer smelled of citrus, but this is different. It immediately reminded me of the plastic pineapple juice cups with the foil peel-back lids you often get on flights. Very pleasant, I couldn't help but take in the aroma before every drink.

Taste:
Starts with an intense hoppy pineapple flavor coupled with a delicate caramel sweetness, and finishes with a pleasant bitterness and some alcohol. IPA's are often described as either citrus or pine flavored; The Oracle is entirely citrus. This is a very well balanced IIPA, with a sweetness which compliments the flavoring hops and keeps the bittering hops in check.

Mouthfeel:
Very typical of an IPA. Slick and silky, not too thick.

Drinkability:
I don't think The Oracle was designed with excessive consumption in mind, yet it manages to go down easy in moderation. In my opinion that's how an IIPA should be; rich and complex in flavor and meant to be enjoyed in small quantities. One bottle is just right; two may be pushing it.

Overall this was a nice treat from Bell's. It's disappointing that the availability is so limited, because this was a very good IPA which offers a unique twist on the IIPA style.

09-21-2009 00:19:16 | More by fishbrew
charlesw

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Pale orange amber. Um. It's light. But it's not like yellow, like, at all. No. It's amber. But orange amber doesn't really describe it, either. I should be a color wheel, man. It's a good color. A finger-sized head of almost white tiny bubbles that hang around leaving lacing that never leaves. And a thin film that's there until I finish my glass. Very nice. I'd like the head to last longer (the head proper is only around for 2-3 minutes).

Smells like some malty hoppy dipa we've all had before. Huh. Cascades or similar up the yin-yang (as they say). You smell hints of fields 3 or 4 days after they've spread manure. Oh, there's no way at all you have the slightest clue what I'm talking about. It's earthy. Certainly not "shit" or "barnyard" but there are hints of that in with the earthy grassiness.

Pulling in a sip... It's rich and thick and, yeah, hoppy as all get out. But rich and thick - there's the sweet balance to that ridiculous hoppiness. Kudos, guys! Serious. Pt[E|Y]: eat your heart out! Just watching it slowly ooze back down the side of the glass is an experience... Amazing. And now the whole side of my snifter is covered with foam - just from the one sip. more plus points on the appearance. Anyway, right. Flavor. Sweet and bitter grapefruit. Thick and sweet and bitter and grapefruit. Thick and sweet not at all like a grapefruit of any kind. Like a DIPA should be, frankly. Yes, of course it's amazingly bitter. But there's a big malt backbone to balance that out. And there's no way you detect any alcohol in it - it could be the most amazing energy drink you've ever had, for all you know! But, no, it's fricking beer! This is beer! GTFOOH! Wow. OK. Let's not go overboard. I'm a hardass when it comes to reviews. I've got a reputation to live up to. I've got to find faults. "Hang with me, Joe!" I guess it could use the tiniest bit more sweetness to balance the bitter. Of course, most people won't get to try it this fresh so that will probably be taken care of. Ah. Shucks. I guess this is exactly the way a DIPA should taste, then. You win!

Spot on in the mouth and if I were local and whatever I'd buy cases of this to drink mostly on my own but maybe with a little help from my wife. But, seriously, very nice. Score!

09-20-2009 22:36:39 | More by charlesw
webmanspidey

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Bottle poured into small chalice... a dark golden color with a solid inch or two of head. Aroma is a nice mix of hops and honey, slight pine. Taste is filled with intense hops.. this is one of the most bitter beers you'll try. This has a fairly high alcohol presence. The ABV is not on the bottle and hasn't been listed here yet but I'd guess it's got to be around 10%. Medium to full mouthfeel, but this is not one of those thick, heavy on the malt type IPAs. Pure hops here, and I'd say this is pretty comparable to HopSlam.

EDIT: Tried another after trying fresh HopSlam and I definitely think this is by far the better of the two.

09-20-2009 03:27:38 | More by webmanspidey
Arbitrator

3.63/5  rDev -14%

A bottle shared by largadeer at a BA tasting. Even though we shared 3 very strong beers before this one, it was so strong that I feel confident I managed to experience its full range of flavors. As Chris put it: "this is a palate-raping beer."

A: Pours a cloudy, effervescent amber body. A vigorous pour filled the glass with substantial foam for even the small sample size; it receded slowly and left some lacing behind. Nice.

S: Pineapple and assorted tropical fruit (I swear I pick up lychee, but then I am craving lychees). Tangerine, orange. A touch of biscuit. Great aroma.

T: Wow, tongue-bruising and palate-raping. Tons of pineapple citrus, but it's almost like drinking pineapple juice, which reminds you of that small cut on your tongue. Enamel-peeling and harsh. Mango / grapefruit / tangerine blend. I get the biscuit malt I smelled in the nose, but it's very subtle and easy to miss on most of the sips. The beer finishes hugely bitter. It's similar to HopSlam in some respects, but not as enjoyable.

M: Wayyy more bitter than I enjoy; I like a clean flavor. Noticeable booze. Medium-bodied, medium carbonation.

D: Points for extreme flavor, but this is a beer that throws balance by the wayside and kicks it while it's down. I'm not sure if I'd go out of my way to trade for this, but if it were shared again, I wouldn't turn it down. An enjoyable beer, just not something I'd use as an ideal representation of the style.

09-20-2009 00:37:59 | More by Arbitrator
nickd717

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Bottle very generously shared by largadeer on BA. Let's just say it would not surprise me to see this beer break into the Top 100 soon. It is awesome.

A - Pours hazy golden-amber with a one-finger creamy white head.

S - Awesomely intense pine and grapefruit hops as well as a hint of sweet malt.

T - Some sweet malt but mostly an incredible blast of sharp citrus and pine hops as well as light tropical fruits. The hops stay with you for a long time. Just a tiny bit maltier than a top west coast IPA like Pliny or Sculpin.

M - Palate is awesome, medium bodied with a massive hop bite and ridiculous lingering bitterness. This is about as much of a palate wrecker as you can get.

D - Well the crazy IBU level hurts this category a bit, but it still keeps you wanting more. Overall this is a hell of a DIPA.

09-19-2009 20:36:17 | More by nickd717
alcstradamus

Washington

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to schro126 for the trade. Glad I get to try this super fresh.

Pours a nice amber color with a billowing 3 finger head when poured directly into my 16 oz. chalice. A nice web of lacing is left behind despite the fact that this glass had some residue on it before pouring.

The smell is huge, pungent hops. They are mainly of a floral variety, although notes of both pine and citrus do exist.

The taste is a smack in the face of bitter hops. Smack might not be the right word, this is a Mike Tyson knockout blow. Bitter as all hell, lots of pine invading all the senses. Bell's didn't mess around with this one. A hop heads dream, although personally I prefer a bit more citrus kick to really put it over the top.

Mouthfeel is medium to full and fairly oily, quite a bit of carbonation splashed this one throughout the mouth. This is a huge beer, and not for the faint of heart. My mouth tastes like I just ate pureed pine needles. I recommend this to any serious hop lover, but peronally I will stick to Hopslam. Still....highly recommended.

09-19-2009 03:09:07 | More by alcstradamus
largadeer

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Received a few bottles of this in a recent trade with Tyson. Thanks.

The Oracle pours a cloudy, hop-hazed and slightly turbid amber. A hard pour fills my tulip with dense, clinging foam. Head retention is outstanding.

The nose is tropical, fruity, resiny. A pine backbone supports mango, pineapple and grapefruit. I get a touch of biscuit-like malt, but no sweetness to speak of until it reaches warmer temperatures, and even then it's subtle.

The taste opens with a touch of malty sweetness - just a touch - before the aggressive hop flavor takes over. Resiny, rich and bitter with a tropical undercurrent, this has to be one of the ballsiest DIPAs I've ever had. Pineapple and mango fruitiness fades into deep resiny bitterness, with a lingering, borderline astringent finish that never seems to subside between sips. This is a bitter alcoholic beast, but it shows just enough restrain to remain pleasant and drinkable. I wouldn't call this an easily quaffable DIPA, but it's quality stuff. The polar opposite of Hopslam. I'm looking forward to drinking the rest of my bottles.

09-18-2009 22:45:30 | More by largadeer
BierFan

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a cervoise. Batch number of 9306, bottled on August 28th. No printed abv.

Appearance: A hard pour produced 3 fingers of tan foam that displays great retention. Hazy body the color of dark honey. Good lacing.

Smell: Big fruity hop aroma. Grapefruit and pineapple. Sweet malty backbone and the alcohol manage to fight their way through the hops.

Taste: Very smooth and supremely drinkable. Grapefruit and citrus peel. Finishes with a strong but not overpowering bitterness. I think this is the first DIPA I've ever had where the alcohol has been so noticeable.

09-18-2009 21:40:42 | More by BierFan
slater1313

Indiana

Thanks again Derek!

A-Pours a beautiful, hazy orange. Nice head. Excellent retention and good lacing.

S-Citrusy, piney hops! Some malt coming through, but most hops. This beer smells amazing.

T-Piney and dry. Some malt sweetness which is surprising. Some warmth in my chest, but I didn't detect any alcohol taste. Very good DIPA.

M-Very good mouth feel. Low carbonation.

Overall a great DIPA. Hopefully next year they will distribute to more states. This will tide me over until Hopslam. Yet another great Bell's beer.

09-18-2009 20:06:38 | More by slater1313
emerge077

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Fresh as fresh can be, batch 9306 packaged August 28, 2009. Thanks d0b for the hookup! Review from notes.

Orange with a little touch of hop haze, sticky foam on top that produces sheets of lacing over time. Retention is strong, and there's a generous amount of head for the duration of the glass. Nose is funky and dank with fresh hops, green and oily. Lots of fruity dried apricot, with tropical and citrus notes that were hard to isolate. A musky element to the dankness, some might say cat pee. There's alot going on in each whiff. Rich toffee flavor, dry resiny citrus oils. Fruit roll up/leather impression. Intense bitterness verging on face-caving. A moderate level of alcohol is wrapped up in the rich layers of this DIPA. Definitely a slow sipper, although a couple of these wouldn't be out of the question. A palate destroyer/tongue bruiser/take no prisoners style hop bomb. Thanks again Dave for sharing!

09-18-2009 16:46:28 | More by emerge077
HopHead84

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks a ton to Masterski for sending this to me. I owe you one. Batch 9306 consumed on 9/17/2009 and poured into a snifter. The beer is slightly hazy and vibrant golden in my glass. The white head rises an inch above the nectar and recedes very slowly, eventually devolving into a small lingering bubbly froth. Some lacing clings to the sides of my glass.

My nose is greeted by notes of tangerine, peach, orange, lemon, pineapple, passion fruit, and some grapefruit. The citrus is lively and some floral character is evident, as well as lesser notes of pine resin. There's a honey-like sweetness that fits very well with the hop notes. This is a sweeter than a San Diego Pale Ale, but man is it good. The malt profile is caramel and a nice foundation is laid for the hops. Alcohol is noticeable. The aroma is outstanding.

The flavor is immediately bitter at a high level with more pine resin than there was in the nose. The cornucopia of fruit is back in the flavor with prominent peach and orange pith. The sweetness is honey-like and complements the hops and caramel malt nicely. Bitterness remains at a fairly high level throughout and the alcohol seems strong. The flavor is good, but it didn't quite live up to the aroma. I found the alcohol to be a bit distracting and overshadowing. The finish is bitter citrus alcohol.

The beer is light medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation and a sticky mouthfeel. A light body Double IPA with a killer fruit aroma and an aggressive flavor that's on the sweeter side.

09-18-2009 05:53:07 | More by HopHead84
Amyliz4

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

A: Pours a beautiful golden orange with a 3/4 inch off white head.

S: Smells like pure heaven. Citrus and crisp hops.

T: The taste is absolutely perfect. This beer has everything I want in an IPA--intense hops, lots of sweetness, and a bite of citrus.

M: The mouthfeel is just right. It's light, yet filling. Crisp and slightly creamy.

D: The Oracle is incredibly drinkable. This beer is one of the best I've had and I hope Bell's decides to brew more of if more often!

09-17-2009 23:19:47 | More by Amyliz4
brownbeer

Missouri

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Blaheath for organizing this trade.

A- It's hazy bright yellowish-orange.

S- The nose is packed with tropical citrus, orange sherbert, lemon zest, and becomes more floral as it warms.

T- Fruity up front, litter box, mandarin orange and pineapple.

M- Smooth at the start and finishes bitter, bitter, bitter...

D- Not all that drinkable in my opinion. Tastes great but it's an alpha bomb. I'm really glad I got to try it.

09-17-2009 17:54:21 | More by brownbeer
The Oracle from Bell's Brewery, Inc.