Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

The Oracle - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

The OracleThe Oracle

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2009

Reviews: 718 | Hads: 2,445
4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle dated 7/10/2015 into snifter.

A: Golden yellow with two finger white head that lasts forever and leaves heavy lacing.

S: Grapefruit, pineapple, and oranges.

T: Citrus hops mixed with a balanced malt backbone. Grapefruit and pineapple with some slight honey sweetness.

M: Medium body with average carbonation. Some hop resins lingering on the tongue.

O: Very nice beer. Just wished I could have landed more than one single bottle.

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a lighter golden with excellent lacing. Smell is hop heavy with sweet overtones. Taste is sweet up front with a bitter back end, but no bitter aftertaste. Feel is very creamy and the beer really coats your tongue.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottled 7/10/15. 12oz.

After very good smoke it pours a wonderful hazy tangerine orange color with a 1 finger head that fades slowly. The nose is strong, sweet citrus, with hops, and caramel in there, as well. The taste is also very much sweet citrus, with some very nice pine in there, too. That’s up front. On the back end, some solid hop bitterness; much more than some of the other Bell's IPA's I have tried. It does back off a bit as the beer warms.

I am getting some alcohol but it’s 10% ABV so there. Excellent carbonation. World class lacing.

This is a different offering than Hopslam or Two Hearted altogether. What separates it is the bitterness; way more pronounced than the other two. I like it. The bottled date was clearly printed on the label.

3.93/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, bottled 7/ /15, poured into Hopslam snifter

A- pours a hazy golden-orange color with a one-finger foamy off-white head that reduces to a think film floating on top, some lacing left behind

S- citrus & pine dominant aroma up front with notes of citrus peel & some subtle floral hops lingering. Underlying alcohol and sugary malt

T- lots of piney and citrus hops up front with some resin notes, big hit of sweet malts hits mid-palate, followed by some alcohol, more sweet malt on the linger with some piney hops poking through

M- heavy viscous body with low carbonation leads to a creamy mouthfeel and a chewy finish with plenty of alcohol linger

O- super boozy, which tends to outweigh the hop bitterness a bit, definitely a sipper

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%

07/2015 bottle poured into IPA glass.

Pours a clear dark orange, nice pillowy head. Gorgeous DIPA.

Nose is muted hops and decent malt forward. Not what I expected.

Flavor on this seems off to me - huge amounts of malt and a really subdued hop profile. I feel like this must have spent days in the back of a hot truck. Malt forward and hops there but thinner than expected and not really all that pleasant.

Glad I got to try it but what I have definitely doesn't stand up to the hype.

3.79/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

07/2015 bottle served in a pint glass.

Bright orange color with a thick and frothy head from the hard pour. Nose is piney, heavy citrus, grapefruit, oranges, dank and bold with spicy hop character. The taste is strong and follows the nose with the grapefruit and piney quality. The mouthfeel is lighter than I expected and the 10% ABV is hidden well however not necessary. I liked this one. I was left impressed with the 2 bottle limit at one of my local bottle shops.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

deep hazy orange, thick head settles quickly. nose; floral hops, orange peel, slight sticky sweet fruit (pineapple & light mango) and booze. the taste follows the nose, except a much juicier orange flavor and a slight sting from the 10% abv. massively bitter with a surprisingly small malt profile, which leaves the bitters, florals and fruit flavors to work their magic with each sip and without the frothy buildup that accompanies heavily malted double ipa's. finish is slightly dry and very bitter, with the sweet fruits still hanging around. this brew makes me imagine a bell's two-hearted with a shot in the arm (and a touch more orange juice). a definite winner for me!

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful orangish-gold hazy beer drank out of a snifter. Smell didn't overwhelm me. Tasted like pine, grass, and hops, but not an overwhelming hop bomb, the 10% ABV is well hidden. I didn't really get as much of the citris fruit flavors as some have mentioned, to me this was a very Earthy brew. Definitely satisfying. I sure wish I had bought more than one single when I had the chance.

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

12oz bottle served in a tulip glass. Bottled on 07/05/15. Thanks to Belmont Party Supply in Dayton for one of the staff giving me this one as an exchange when I came by and they were out of what I was looking for. As always - a great bottle store!

Appearance: Cloudy orange-amber with a thin white head and lots of fine lacing all over the glass. The cloudiness glows a bit when held up the light.

Smell: When first poured - a lot of orange citrus. A few minutes after the pour, there is fresh cut grapefruit, citrus, tropical fruit, and just a hint of something floral. As it warmed up with a swirl I think I get a hint of Simcoe hops, but it is quick and fleeting - hard to say.

Taste: Nicely hoppy and bitter from start to finish, but with some nice malt to back everything. Hops are grapefruit citrus, pine, leafy bitterness. Malt is lightly caramelized and bready at the same time mixed up among the hops. The bitterness at the end is strongly lingering with more of the leafy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Quite smooth and nicely thick. Just there carbonation. Quite sticky on the teeth with all the hop oils.

Overall / Drinkability: A slow sipping hop bomb of a beer. Did I discover all as the Oracle hinted? Well, no, but I did find a hop-forward DIPA worth enjoying. Because it is so strongly bitter, one is enough per evening for me.

1.41/5  rDev -66.3%

One of the most disgusting beers I've ever had. I gave this a second chance this year and it's a harsh many bomb. No hoppy flavors just a strong disgusting beer. Drain poor. Bell's is better than this....

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured a murk orange with a good looking head.
Lots of citrus fruit in the smell. Malts are present as well
Tons of citrus flavors with a great combination of earthy hops and a little malt
Low carbonation with a heavy feel
A really good imperial IPA. I agree with everyone who said this competes with hopslam easily. Would definitely seek out in the future.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

This one's a strong winner. DIPA brings big flavors of fruit paired with big bitterness of chewy pine resin and caramel. Body is soft, ample, plush, but somehow maintains a fairly lean and clean presentation. In my opinion, exemplifies what is meant by a DIPA. You're not gonna mistake it for a barleywine, bringing massive hop bitterness to balance out the big body. I really enjoy DIPAs, and this was top-notch.

4.16/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz bottle dated 7/10/15...poured into a tulip glass.

A - Poured a semi hazy orange with a one finger fluffy head. Lace retention is decent.

S - Grapefruit, citrus, sugary malts, some biscuit and mild heat.

T - Smack of piney and flowery hops, tropical fruit and orange notes, mid swig malts, and a bitter finish.

M - Carbonation is medium low, mouthfeel is somewhat heavy, it almost gets sticky/syrupy.

O - Well made and well balanced. A tad less heat would have sent this over the top.

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tropical grapefruit notes on the nose and taste. Pick up some green apple as well. Some sweet caramel/brown sugar backbone. This seems like a scaled back hopslam, and that's not a bad thing.

3.84/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a no-nonsense IPA. There's no citrus to it, and there's no pine to it. It's hops, front and center. There's also a strong alcohol feel to it.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled July 10, 2015 brought back from Indiana to Ohio and enjoyed August 11, 2015.

Look - Bright but matte orange. Less than finger of white head that dissipates quickly. Lacing from the get go where head was more apparent. Fine to medium bubbles.

Smell - Dank hop. Grapefruit. Pine. Pineapple. Lemon.

Taste - Malt and pine. Light grapefruit. Caramel and booze on back end.

Feel - Thick carbonation. Medium to heavy feel. Rips away at my tongue.

Overall - I like it. Compares to I Hardcore You, Double Crooked Tree, Devil Dancer, and other malt heavy double IPAs. I thought it wasn't coming to Ohio so got it in Indiana and it showed up today.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I would say that The Oracle is better than Hopslam, I found it much more drinkable. Alcohol is well hidden for such a huge brew, plenty of citrus in the nose and taste. Very impressive.

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%

On my want list for about 2 years and might I say lived up to expectations. Cloudy orange with little head that laces my snifter. Aroma is citrus and hops. The taste was the same. Hope to score a whole 6 of this. My bottle shop only had singles for sale.

Poured a cloudy copper tinted orange with frothy head and lace ring down glass. The aroma is intense, bursting with dry and citric hop aromas and very little else. Soapy, spicy, citric hops in a medium body that somehow is creamy at times yet coats the tongue with tastebud nuking hoppy goodness. A pleasant sipper that is must for a hophead (and a must avoid for any non-IPA drinkers).

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is just another great bells DIPA. Pours a deep golden color with a hint of orange. Hoppy aroma with notes of citrus and sweet malts. Flavor is hops up front with a piny / lemon peel after taste balanced by a light malt finish.

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

What a perfect brew for my one hundredth review.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a hazy deep golden orange with two fingers of frothy off-white head. Retention is borderline insane as it lingers for quite awhile. Lacing is extravagant and insanely plentiful. Incredibly beautiful and inviting, it has one of the most beautiful pours I've seen.

S: Aromas of citrus, sweet malts, and pine/grass like hops initially. Then you get some honey, orange peel, grapefruit, caramel, and peach. Also has a slight boozy quality.

T: Sweet malts, caramel, honey, and pine up front. In the middle you find some citrus, most notably orange, lemon, and grapefruit. Finishes grassy, bitter, and slightly boozy. Leaves a resiny pine like aftertaste. Very intense onslaught of flavors, this beer is phenomenal but not for the faint of heart (and/or palate).

M: Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Has high levels of pleasant astringency. Smooth and bitterly crisp, finishes dry and bitter with a noticeable alcohol warmth. Definitely a sipper but still very pleasant to drink.

O: Honestly Bell's has been leaving me at a loss for words lately. Most of the Planet Series absolutely blew my f***ing mind... the rest left favorable impressions. Hopslam, Two Hearted, Third Coast Old Ale, and Expedtion Stout all hold a special place in my heart. And Black Note Stout is easily one of my top ten brews. I really enjoyed this brew last year (my first time trying it) but I feel that it's true greatness was somehow lost to me... until now. This brew is a world class example of true brewing prowess. I give Bell's yet another giant metaphorical tip of the f***ing hat. This is a true whale that as far as I can tell doesn't get even close to the credit it deserves. I truly wish I could do a (fresh) side by side of this and Hopslam because honestly I don't know which is better... and on a random note Mars might have been better then both. Sorry for the rant everyone but this brews greatness has turned my mind to pudding. Overall this is a must try for any DIPA fan, in the endless ocean of brews I've been trying lately this one stands out as a true beacon of hope.

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz, 4 weeks old, into a tulip

L - Pale hazy orange with a half inch head that dissipates into heavy lacing
S - a touch of citrus and pine, but not a lot going on
T - Subtle malt sweetness followed by a thump of harsh bitterness
M - medium to full bodied for a DIPA. Soft carb and smooth mouthfeel

Can't get over the lack of balance on this - I know it is supposed to be a big hard DIPA, but somehow the floral / fruity / pine characteristics have been stripped away to just leave a harsh bitterness right in your face. An interesting experiment certainly, but a jarring beer to drink

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Hazy orange body, with big head that fades slowly to a thin cap, with one of the most extensive cases of lacing I've seen.

S - Floral elements are out front, smart grapefruit pith, with a definite caramel malt note.

T - Front is fruit and grassy flavors, citrus pith and flesh, that goes to a sweet malt element in the middle, caramel and honey, closing with a strong bitter punch in the close.

M - The carbonation is moderate, and drying considerable.

O - Glad to try one. This is a bit more bitter than my preferred go-to DIPAs, but the floral range and honeyed malts are nice complements. Very solid.

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on date of 07/10/15. I was extremely surprised to come across the last six pack of this at a local shop, as I've never been able to get my hands on a single bottle.

A- Pours a very nice looking cloudy orange color with a fair amount of white head which hangs around awhile.

S- Not as aromatic as I would expect, but some decent hints of pine on the nose.

T- Tons of piney resin character on the initial taste. I really don't get much citrus that some other reviews note. The back end of the taste leaves some heavy notes of caramel malts.

M- Medium bodied, very hoppy and bitter, alcohol is noticeable at 10% ABV. Leaves a rather dry finish.

Very nice sipping DIPA, and pleased that I got to try it. A bit pricey, but expected at a higher ABV.

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Perfect golden cooper color with a rich fantastic aroma. Taste is about as good as it gets for an ipa. Hopslam and Oracle are at the game when it comes to dipas. There might be a few better but not many.

The Oracle from Bell's Brewery, Inc.