Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

The Oracle | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2009

Reviews: 726 | Ratings: 2,504
4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Happy birthday, Dad, this one's for you. tangfoot was extremely generous, and gave me a couple of these for nothing. Thank you, Fred!

A very attractive pour, clear amber with a big, off-white head with great retention. Gorgeous lacework is left as the head gently recedes

Such a pungent hop aroma, I fear that a lightstruck version of this beer will smell like a skunk apocalypse. Rousing pine and grapefruit with a mild sweetness present. Candied orange

Wow. Opens with a strong bitterness with a resiny, piney, weed-like flavor. Mildly spicy, a touch of alcohol heat is noticeable. The hop flavor is pretty top notch, with a lot of pine and grapefruit. Sweetness, while present in form of a mild caramel-like character, is restrained and does it's fair bit in tempering the bitterness. The finish is fabulously bitter, like drinking pine sap. Medium-high in carbonation with a medium-light body and a fabulous finish, this is excellent on the palate.

Thoroughly drinkable, though my currently addled brain is swimming from a sleepless night halfway into this beer. Very highly recommended.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Cigar City pint glass from a quart-sized growler.

A- Comes out a see-through amber with a quarter-inch head and retains a bubble pattern on top that indicates healthy yeast. Damnit, I took a sip of it before I even smelled it. Couldn't resist, since I've had this beer before.

S- Mmmmm. That smells fantastic. Beautiful wet, grassy, dank hops that give way to a perfumey alcohol compliment. I can tell dry-hopping was a crucial step in this beer's production. Not much malt detected though. Can't wait to really sink my tongue into this.

T- Aww yeauh! Hops, hops and more hops assaulting my palate with IBUs just the way I like it: savory and lingering. Kinda boozy but with good reason to be (since I believe it's actually 10.4% this time around contradictory to BA's report of 10.0%). Not really sensing the malts as much because there's so much bitterness present, plus it makes sense given its somewhat light color. I taste equal parts grass, bitters AND lemon-orange. Every single hop varietal they used swirls together to make a pronounced and tasteful combination of flavors. I'm sure everything I'm sensing is extra pronounced since it's off the tap. Man, is this shit good. Now I see why it's rare and sought-after. Although, once again, I'm missing some malt balance that would most likely provide an extra dimension of sweetness that could really accelerate this beer's flavor.

M- Very smooth (I know that's a cop-out adjective, but really!) yet abrupt. I kind of feel like the mouthfeel makes this beer because the carbonation gives the hop profile its kick.

O- Thus far in my experience with Bell's, their IPAs are where they shine. This and Two-Hearted could easily be considered their best single and double IPA, hands down.

3.48/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottled 8/12/11. Pours a nice clear deep amber/copper color with adequate soapy/bubbly eggshell head lacing nice sticky lacing.

Aromas are really pleasant but quite typical for the style. Lots of sticky pine and grapefruit resiny hops. Also getting some nice floral, earthy, vegetile hops as well; smells like Simcoe was used here in combination with Centennial hops. There is a nice sweet bready malt backbone with hints of caramel, almost toffee maltiness. Very east coast/mid-country DIPA. Alcohol becomes apparent as it warms to room temperature.

The tastes begin initially with a little sweet bready and light caramel maltiness but they are immediately overpowered by the pungent grapefruit, blood orange and resiny pine hops. As you further sample you get the earthy and floral, almost oniony hops flavors. Alcohol once again becomes apparent as it warms to room temperature.

The mouthfeel is quite full bodied with adequate carbonation for the style. The finish is sticky and resiny and the grapefruit and pine bitterness lingers on the palate, alcohol is also drying on the palate which invites you to sample more, which is dangerous when you have such a big ABV beer.

Overall this is a decent example of the style but not my favorite by a long shot. Too much in the grapefruit and pine hop department and not enough of the sweeter citrus or tropical fruit flavors. I could and would not want more than 1 or 2 of these in a sitting because of the apparent alcohol flavors that emerge and the rather generic intense hop bitterness and flavor profile. Worth a go if you can buy it by the single but a 6 pack is not for me.

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slightly rusting orangy yellow color with nice cap of stiff whiite foam leaving great lacing. Scent is a wonderful, slightly sweet blend of fresh citrus, tropical, piney and floral hops and a touch of fresh cereal grain. The taste is a bright and fresh blend of grapefruit, mango, pineapple with a touch of fresh pine and fresh flowers. Decent, semi-sweet grain profile on the back-end. Medium bodied, perfect carbonation, dry and no lingering bitter aftertaste. A truly unique, fresh tasting DIPA that hides its ABVs well and is not overly bitter.

4.14/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a medium clear gold with a medium white head and retention. Not much retention.

The aroma is the best part of this very with a very pleasant sense of fruit, mostly grapefruit and strawberries. You get a little hops.

The taste is kind of let down, because it strays so far from the aroma. Its not sweet at all, the beginning and middled are light flavorless, but it has a very very bitter and strong finish which almost makes up for it.

The mouthfeel is average, and you can drink a lot of this.

4.43/5  rDev +6%

I picked up these bottles at Holiday Market in Royal Oak for $3.99 each. I'm totally stoked to try this new creation from Bell's: The beer could not look better, it's hazy translucent - goldenrod color with a thick frothy foam that lasts the duration of the drink and laces in thick sheets. The first sniff brings Hopslam to mind, strong hop aromatics and a hint of honey, this is pungent with grapefruit and other acidic citrus. The taste confirms that this is among the hoppiest beers I've ever tried. There's a lot of sweetness but not the cloying type you get from crap like 120 minute. This is a master craft beer that pushes about as far as possible in the IPA direction without losing it's critical essence of drinkability. Not even close to balanced with the malts, no fear of the barley-wine boundary (at least while fresh).

If I had to sub-categorize this I'd call it a west-coast DIPA, possibly similar to Pliny the Younger. But it's been a while since I've had Younger, and in any case this beer seems definitive enough itself. I'm glad I had the chance to try it and I'm glad I have more bottles. Completely recommended to hop heads.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a slightly hazy light copper color with a white head that leaves solid lacing.

Smells of pale malts with large amounts of bright citrus and tropical fruit hops. Also present is some underlying herbal notes.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Mildly dry pale malts up front are joined almost immediately by large citrus and tropical fruit hops – pineapple, grapefruit, and papaya. Midway through herbal hops turn the flavor profile slightly more bitter, carrying through to a moderately bitter ending. Mouthfeel is good, with decent carbonation.

Overall this beer did not disappoint – it’s just a touch away from the Plinys of the world. Well worth a shot.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours hazy, yellow-brown in color, with amazing one inch head. Wow what a hops assault. Bells is not fooling around here. Get pine and grapefruit hops with a bit of lemon. There might be a tad bit of malt, but there is not much to speak of. This is the definition of a sipper. Really good and hoppy beer. Could only do one in a session, but will get this again if I want a super hoppy beer.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Golden Orange colored body with a bone white head thatstarts almost 2 fingers high. The head drops down into a thin cap ontop the beer that remains during entire glass of beer. Sticky lacing.

Smell: Nice fresh hops notes. Grassy, a little herbal, and piney notes. The booze is also noticable after your nose gets past the smell of the hops. Buscuity malt profile is hard to find, but its there...really subtle though.

Taste: Moderate bitterness from the hops that have a fairly one demensional flavor of pine. The hops have a wonderful fresh taste to them and that is the shining point of this beers taste. The beer has an aftertaste with a decent alcohol bite.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation levels. Fresh and clean DIPA. This beers alcohol level is fairly apparent and definately warming for the style.

Overall: This is a solid DIPA. It reminds me of RR's Pliney the Elder, but I like pliney a little better. Hopslam is my favorite Hoppy beer hands down and I would say that the Oracle is Hopslam's little brother. Bells Hopslam is my favorite DIPA, but the Oracle is still a quality beer made by Bells.

4.01/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle, PKGD 8/08/14, batch 13367, 10% ABV. This is one I've wanted to try for a few years, but never put in any sort of effort to find it.
A 4.75 - hazy and golden in color, frothy off-white head holds good retention leaving thick lacing on the glass
S 3.75 - citric, grassy, tropical - nothing overly spectacular
T 4 - big and bold, pungently bitter with pine and grapefruit rind punishing the palate, biscuity grain with caramel, bread, grass, faintly tropical
M 4.25 - full body, ample carbonation, quite boozy, it's dry and bitter with the pine and grapefruit zest riding out the finish
O 4 - not as balanced as some other notable Bell's DIPAs. I'm not complaining, but I don't think I'd seek it out again. I'll just wait until January for some Hopslam.

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

Courtesy of 2BDChicago. 10588 PKGD 8/12/11 indicated on the back label. Served in a tulip at 51 degrees. Pours a brownish-orange hue with a mostly translucent clarity; just a slight haze. Head is a quarter inch, frothy and off-white and eventually settles into a broken slick and a bubbly band around the shoulders. Thick, cascading bands of lacing are revealed during the tasting. Nose primarily expresses light toasted malts, a suggestion of ethanol and a piny/citrusy/earthy character; however, there's also a trace of tropical fruit in the foreground. Taste reveals an earthy/piny bitterness, as well as caramel and a buttery character along a malty backbone. That said, the considerable alcohol presence makes it difficult to parse out the nuances of the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is medium-light with a slightly oily consistency and a prickly carbonation. There's also a light acidity and some residual alcohol heat. Overall, I think this beer could use a little more time in the cellar. Alcohol is a bit too over the top and really muddles the flavors. It's not bad, but I prefer a little more balance and sweetness in my DIPAs.

A - Pours a medium copper color with a good two fingered billowing white head of foam that sticks to the glass like cotton candy when it starts to subside. Carbonation is very subtle.

S - Pineapple, oranges, red grapefruit rinds with some ppery spice, lightly moderate resin.

T - Even though the hop intensity has faded, there's enough there after (4) months to tell me this must have been one intense beer when it was freshly bottled. The tropical fruit is still there, not overly intense, but still enjoyable and detectable. The tongue is met with a blend of tropical fruit (oranges, grapefruit, and pineapple rinds), a floral bouquet, and seet caramel (which is still surprisingly subdued for its age). Around midway through, the malt resurfaces again, but briefly, following by an alcohol effervescence, some more tropical fruit, and then squashed by a bitter wave of pink grapefruit.

M - The bitterness is intensely lingering and leaves a peppery spice and a little metallic aftertaste that coats the mouth. Heavy medium body, light alcohol burn in the beginning, and some boozy effervesence.

O - I really can't recall many (if any) big IPA's that I can say I've enjoyed that much at 3-4 months out, this is one. It's intensely bitter and mildly fruity and resinous. Any sweet malt that is now coming through adds a complemented blend to the beer that still makes it enjoyable.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

on-tap, maduro, pre-great taste party

cellphone notes

appearance: pretty dark for a dipa - rich garnet-amber body, foamy tan head

smell: strong malt body, grapefruit peel, bitter citrus, lots of pine

taste: oracle comes through a bit boozier than hopslam with a bigger malt punch - pine is rather intense along with bitter grapefruit.

mouthfeel: relatively large body, high bitterness, alcohol present in the finish

drinkability; good

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz bottle, dated 7/10/15

Hazy orange golden color, bright white head. Good head retention, and lots of lacing.. strong hoppy aroma of citrus zest. Mild biscuit malt flavor is dominated by the hop bitterness and flavor. Drier finish. a bit too bitter for me. Medium body, mouthfeel is a bit sticky.

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip. 9306 Batch number. (Packaged Aug. 28th '09). No info. Part four in the "Birthday Beer Extravaganza"

Thanks a TON to Sweemzander for two bottles of this glorious beer!

A - The color is an impressive clear golden honey yellow color with a moderate two-finger, slightly off-white head. I noticed right away I could see right through the bottle. The head had moderate retention and left some good, sticky lacing to the sides of the glass. A thick ring hung around to make it look taller than it was. That was followed by thick lacing down the glass as it started filling me with joy as it entered mah belleh!

S - The nose is immediately well-balanced and not overpowering as I expected. Tons of floral hops with a tiny bit of grapefruit and pine resin. A good lemony citrus splash follows with an impressive fruit medley; a big pineapple-mango juicy nose. The malts do a great job of staying in the back as support while providing a nice, low-level sweetness. One of the most perfect DIPAs I've had the pleasure of smelling.

T - Holy Shit. This, with in sips, could be one of my favorite DIPAs, if not beers, ever. The hops overpower the malts but in all the right ways. The hops give off a lot of fruitiness. Like the aroma, it's got pineapple, mango, a drop of lemon, and a kiss of grapefruit bitterness. There is also a pine resin that pops in and lingers through the finish with a dry, almost astringency to it. The malts let the hops do all the work being there only as moral support. Much less balances than the aroma, but rightfully so. The pale malts provide a low sweet background with a slight dab of honey on a thinly sliced wafer of toast.

M - Smooth and creamy with a great carbonation feel that just blends in, it's a superb feeling beer that lacks only in being a bit too dry and resiny on the finish. Great level of bitterness and sweetness that play well together. A very nicely balanced body that teet-or-totters between medium and full bodied. Also very crisp and refreshing.

D - Wow. I think this has to be my favorite DIPA to date. Nothing has rocked my socks this hard or inspired such a long review out of me since my first encounter with the Pumking. It's an absolutely fantastic beer that's brewed to near perfection. The fruit bouquet is absolutely delicious and blends so well with the hop and malt flavors. Almost in the same way the simple yet ornate label can enjoyed in layers. The alcohol isn't even noticeable in this beer at all, not even in small traces.

I can't say enough thanks to my friend Sweem for hooking me up with two bottles of this outrageously good beer!

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

Served in a pint glass at Beer Run in Charlottesville. From notes. Reviewed 1 February 2012 (last night).

A: Nice head fades fast. Clearish orange; great lace.

S: Lots of citrusy hops and fruity malts.

T: Fan-freaking-tastic. Huge, fruity flavours; loads of hops; bitter, tasty fruit. Indescribably good. Seriously, I'm not even going to flesh out my review of the taste because it wouldn't do it justice and I'd rather drink another glass than sit here reviewing it.

M: Excellent. Firm, malty, and delicious. The aftertaste is wet and full of fruit.

O: One of the all-time best beers I've ever drunk. I absolutely love it. Highly recommended. I will drink again and again wherever I can find it. If you choose not to...Heaven help you.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Thanks chipped in the direction of notCreative for smuggling a few bottles out of Michigan & dropping them with me here in the Cities. Thanks Matt.

Pour is a nearly opaque orange with little head, but what exists is clingy as a bad girlfriend. Smell is a psychic kick of citrus & grapefruit, with something strange & dank lurking underneath. Odd.

Comparisons with HopSlam are perhaps inevitable, as Bell's makes another legendary DIPA that's one of my all-time favorites. This is more aggressive than HS IMHO. Hops are front, center, back, under, sideways, & sucking liberally on my tonsils. I hate to say this, but it's borderline bitter overload; that's not an experience I've ever had before. The grapefruit & pine are so hot they overload the senses & make me start sweating like a jalapeno sandwich. Couldn't drink more than one of these in a sitting.

Well. Very good beer, but I've finally hit my hophead wall. Too much. Really enjoying it, but give me some HopSlam any day!

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

thanks to biglobo8971 for this sweet extra - 12 oz bottle poured into tulip glass

A - Somewhat hazed golden orange. A smaller head fades to a filmy layer with a smaller amount of streaky lacing.

S - Slightly sweet bitter hops and a dash of fruit with malty caramel.

T - Plenty of bitter, juicy hops which explode onto the palate. A somewhat sweeter fruit center dotted with honey peeks through before the malt backbone rises up, delivering a different, darker sweetness. The hops return during the finish with more popping bite, along with a touch of alcohol.

M - Medium bodied, slightly creamy, avoids becoming too dry while remaining balanced.

D - For a boozier DIPA, this goes down way easier than some of its contemporaries.

Superbly delicious beer, I just wish there was a bit more excitement in the nose.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

A-pours a deep transparent amber color with a dirty off white head.

S-the aroma is a hop explosion, a strong caramel and brown sugary malt foundation have a good presence up front but the hops dominate the nose. Tons of pine citrusy hops with a good bit of grapefruit and appricot in the back.

T-the taste is slighlty more balanced but still a hop focussed brew. the caramel and brown sugar are up front showing the true size of this beer as the malt foundation can still show under a hop blanket. Resinous piney hops take over, lots of bitterness setting in. the back end brings the sweet citrus with tons of grapefruit and the bitterness keeps hitting, its moderate in strength but long in duration lingering for some time.

M-the body is syrupy and a little grainy on the palate, falls off a little in the back making it slick on the throat.

D-huge beer, lots of balance but definitely a hoppy brew. there is definitely a nice tropical fruity sweetness in the back but the caramel, brown sugar and pine work together to transition the malts and hops. tasty stuff!

3.26/5  rDev -22%

12oz bottle thanks to Rusty Diamond, appreciate it! I split this with two friends and they both liked it and said it was good whereas I was disappointed. Nice orange color, smells liek a lot of hops alcohol and malt but very muddled. I almost wish I knew how old this beer was. The taste was like a very malty DIPA, I guess I was expecting something closer to Hopslam. Overall, I would take Hopslam over this beer every single time. In fact, I'm not sure why they felt the need to brew this since hopslam is so damn good.

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Very excited to try this one...I love Hopslam and this is right up there in my book (although a little different).

A-Peach colored...light white lace..

S-Very impressive...a mix of herbalness and tropical fruits

T-Tropical fruits evident but not boisterous. Pineapple, mango, papaya and even a little coconut. Malt is sugary but subdued and not a big player in this....this has hop flavor but also a nice tight dry bitterness on the finish that compels me to keep picking up that glass.

M-Feels about right....not immense but definitely bigger than a regular IPA...creamy texture...nice balanced bitterness on the finish.

D-Top notch. I'd put this up there with the best of the best for DIPA's

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a golden yellow color, looks very thick, lacy white head that is easy to rejuvenate with a little swirl of the glass. Smells of deep hop oils, spices, alcohol, with a tad of grapefruit and pine tree. The taste is right behind it, tasting of lots and lots and LOTS of hops, resin, pine, with just a bit of grapefruit sweetness. Lots of spice and alcohol, especially in the aftertaste. It has a bit of malt in the finish as well. Very, very high bitterness with low carbonation. Very heavy on the mouth and leaves a very sticky feeling.

Somewhat similar to Bell's Hopslam with a bit more of hops and grapefruit, sans the honey induced sweetness. A very good brew, but definitely one you have to sip.

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Thanks to Steasy66 for this and all the other great beers!

Appearance. Pours a hazy orange-gold with over a finger of thick off white head - great retention and nice lacing.

Smell. Honey, brown sugar and caramel, yellow grapefruits, grass and floral hops, some pineapple, oranges and cedar.

Taste. Caramel and grass, yellow grapefruit, oranges and pineapple, honey and floral hops. Good bitterness in the finish with a lightly herbal, almost licorice root note.

Mouthfeel. Fairly full body, low carbonation.

Overall. No shortage of hops here with a big base to back them up. Good stuff.

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The Oracle is a thick burnt gold-orange color, technically translucent but very nearly opaque. On top rests a head that's one finger tall and shows incredible strength, heaviness and thickness. This thing looks almost solid. It immediately leaves a ring of lacing, even before it's possible to really anything has settled. It eases up on the heaviness, but continues to cling almost to the bottom of the glass.
The aroma pops out of the bottle even before it begins to pour, and it's all orange and grapefruit with some tropical fruits as well, pithy and zesty with a supporting juicy sweetness. Malts provide a bit of support, but there's a whole lot of bitterness here.
I've rarely been hit with bitterness like my palate does with this beer. The tropical fruits and citrus are here, but the first slap is pine, leaf and raw pith all the way. There's a complex texturing of flavors as the juiciness comes out and the various aspects of the malts lightly support but are strongly overshadowed by the hops. It's all resinous after that, going into a lingering bitter and dry finish.
It has a soft crispness in its medium body, and a little creaminess to start, but it goes pretty quickly to the dryness that pulls it into the finish. It does remain smooth for the duration.

4.79/5  rDev +14.6%

A: This poured a clear dark gold with moderate light tan head.
S: It smelled like mango and pineapple with some grapefruit and honey, and a bit of peppercorn.
T: It tasted like sugary sweet honeydew melon and mango, with pineapple and grapefruit. The aftertaste started sweet, then became very bitter and lasting.
M: It was slick and oily with moderate carbonation.
D: This was a phenomenal IPA with wonderful tropical scent and taste, along with a smooth body. The alcohol was hidden very well also, so it was too easy to drink. But delightful to sip and savor. Instantly one of my favorite IPAs ever. Boo yah!

The Oracle from Bell's Brewery, Inc.