Bourbon Barrel Aged Hell Hath No Fury Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Hell Hath No Fury AleBourbon Barrel Aged Hell Hath No Fury Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.40% ABV

An American take on a Belgian Dubbel aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: grub on 01-24-2010)

appearance is black with a little bit of tan head which is good. Not to thin and not too thick. Smells of malts and black cherry. Taste is the same as the smell. Black Cherry and malt. Mouthful has good feeling to it. Smooth. Drinkability is great. Even at 8.4% a six pack would be great with the guys.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance- Dark but thin, nice brown head which quickly vanished leaving behind a reddish brown surface

Smell- while the growler was being filled even I could smell the bourbon with hints of coffee. Definitely could tell the alcohol content is up a bit. In fact, smells more boozie then it really is!

Taste- first and foremost, bourbon... sweet sweet bourbon. Stronger coffee then I was expecting but it blends well with hints of chocolate, bourbon, oak, more bourbon, and a bit of bourbon on the finish. Whatever barrels were used must have yielded phenomenal bourbon :)

Mouthfeel- Smooth but thinner then I was expecting. I guess I forget this is a Belgian... light carbonation, a hint of "sharpness" at the end...

Drinkability- definitely a sipper. Tastes more potent then it is but its so so good. I could sip on it all day but I'd be on the floor in no time. Overall, phenomenal beer!

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Big thanks to Blake for the chance to try this rare brew after the Brooklyn Black Chocolate blew mid growler fill... Never thought I'd get to try this one...

I'm off work today and my plans are to sip on this brew all day long until the growler is gone... A tall order for sure but I can't wait any longer to try this...

Pours into my new DFH signature glass pretty much black with perhaps a few purplish highlights... Slow forming head wisps away to a trace atop... Laces all the way around the glass... A bit darker than I was expecting actually...

Heavy aromas of oak and vanilla and dark booze soaked fruits with a subdued at first bourbon note that becomes stronger throughout...lots of chocolate influence here as well... I find this to be quite balanced actually... When I had a taste off the tap, the bourbon characteristic seemed much more pronounced and boozy if you will... It seems to have mellowed (thankfully!) some over the few days I've had this... Seems like more vanilla and oak at this point and its one of the better aromas I've ever experienced on a brew... Quite similar to KBS with some raisin aspects thrown in... Its badass... Everytime I pick up the snifter, its a different note.. I'm having this a couple of days after Christmas and the blend of bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate, and raisins has me thinking Christmas pudding all the way.. I'm really loving this...

Sip after sip of bourbon barrel laced chocolate covered raisins with a vanilla and oak note to them... Best way to describe this taste experience... The bourbon is definitely there... Present and accounted for... But it doesn't at all dominate here.. It plays a key role in the development of the brew but doesn't overpower it as in some others... No, the cocoa and fruit seem to be the stars here and they meld together in a mind-numbing array of flavor combinations... One time I get raisins and booze, another I get cocoa and vanilla while yet another I get a sweet oaky bourbon thing going on... This just seems world class to me...

One of the best brews I've had since I've started my obsession with beer... It pushes the envelope right to the edge without teetering over into the land of excess... Its a big beer, no doubt, but one that I will sip on throughout the day.. I'm making a day of enjoying this gem...

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

Had at Capital Ale House Midlothian

A: arrived in a Belgian glass, with a finger of dark brown head that fell quickly before i could take the first sip. the body was black brown, and brown around the edges.

S: Strong bourbon and sweet dark roast malt. coffee along with some chocolate, alcohol is noticeable.

T: can defiantly taste the bourbon, almost like the barrels were not emptied completely before beer was aged in them. sweet but not cloyingly, light coffee and bittersweet chocolate. there is also a hint of oak in the aftertaste, along with the bourbon.

M: smooth coating and thick, carbonation seems low but is understandable for being barrel aged.

D: very sippable but defiantly only a one per sitting brew

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

had a full growler of this one either last year (or the year before), sorry about the delay.

S: immediately i get a oak and bourbon aroma that is well balanced by dark fruits, chocolate, and alcohol

T: a very flavorful beer. like the nose, it has a dominant bourbon and oak that that is balanced about by a caramel backbone that has a splash of vanilla notes. the creamy finish puts an added content to it that allows one to want to take another sip.

overall, this is a damn good beer and the alcohol is very well hidden in the taste

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

On tap @ Fat Head's Brewers Brawl. I had a bunch of pours, this was amazing! Easily the best beer out of the 50+ offerings that the day brought to Ohio. Thanks to Fat Head's for a great event, it exceeded my expectations and I'll be back next year for sure.

So dark it's the next thing to black, opaque and beckoning. It's mocha colored head hangs on but is slowly consumed by the darkness. A beautiful looking beer!

Smells out of this world. Coconut is the main flavor, implied by the wonderful bourbon and vanilla. The malt comes through with some chocolate notes, but this is mainly about the bourbon and the Belgian yeast. The yeast gives a fruity tone, and the bourbon kicks this one into outer space.

The barrel rules the taste and that's fine with me. This has such a prominent coconut and vanilla thing going on. The beer underneath is well complimented by the expert -bal aging. The yeast and dark malt give fruity notes, some vinous elements, and a great chocolate sweetness. Ends up smooth with another kiss of bourbon. Really flavorful, but the original beer provides just enough base for this high rise of flavor. My favorite Belgian style Barrel Aged beer yet!

The mouthfeel is nice on this beer. Nothing unique, but a nice medium bodied ale. Creaminess abounds.

I loved this. It was right up my alley. A huge beer that's perfect for special events. And this beer made this event extra special. I offer a raised glass to Bells for the beer and to Fat Heads for the great time!

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on draft at Jose Pistola's.

Pours pitch black and completely opaque with a massive three finger dark mocha head that slowly fades into a lasting cap. Minimal spots of lacing left behind.

Sweet malty aroma with a huge bourbon character in the nose. Slight earthy oak and vanilla from the barrel aging complimen the bourbon and dark malt notes. Hints of dark fruit and subtle spice. Picking up tart dark cherry, fig and plum. So far this beer looks and smells amazing.

Incredibly smooth drinking with the perfect amount of sweet bourbon and heat balancing out the dark raster malt notes and sweet tart dark fruit. Chewy and slightly viscous with zesty peppery spice and alcohol heat. As in he aroma, the barrel aging adds complexity giving off hi ts of vanilla and earthy oak. This beer is incredibly complex and even though the bourbon gives off some heat and warmth in the finish, the ABV is decently masked, making this dangerously drnkable. Highly recommnded!!!!

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

another gem that i was able to share with calton last night. enjoyed on 5.14.11.

Rich caramel colored pour with a light head of off white that caps it off rather nicely. Settling down it left a little bit of a light sticky lace along the sides. Aroma was the best I have ever come across. Rich toffee and butterscotch, tons of sweet nectar notes. Candy in all its glory. Perfectly aged with a smooth, perfect profile of vanilla, toffee, and rich butterscotch that will not let up. Rich bourbon flavor just rolls across the palate with a smoothness unlike anything I have run across before. Rich vanilla and boozy notes combine to form a perfect balance of rich sweet notes and oak soaked barrel flavor.

Incredibly complex and drinkable this was was everything I had wanted it to be and more

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Woodford Reserve was a great choice for the barrel on this beer. The Belgian funk is there, and it integrates much better with the caramel and oak from the bourbon barrel than I would have expected. Complex, a bit tart and quite satisfying. This is something I'd love to see bottled.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Served in a Bell's tulip glass at The Firkin.

Apparently the Firk went on a bourbon barrel binge this week. This positive proof pours a sleek obsidian (though this does lighten into a straight black-brown later on) topped by a healthy bit of sienna foam. The nose comprises figs, raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, light whiskey, chocolate, light apple, red grapes, and a touch of oak. The taste holds notes of chocolate, red grapes, light whiskey, roasted malts, molasses, oak, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, red apple skin, a touch of anise, light papaya (I know, right?), and some very light maple syrup. It's all good, baby. The body is a hefty medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a smooth, nearly chewy feel. Overall, one of the best things I've had from Bell's yet. Good times had by all (and by all, I mean me).

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

I got this beer from my brother from an other mother, Bierenutz. Thanks Dave for this real treat.

I poured this beer in my all time Struise glass. Depdepdarkbrown to black fluid with a very nice lightbrown head, three fingers. Good smell of light coffee and chocolat and some dark candy.

Very delightfull taste. Where is the alcohol? So well hidden! What i can't detect is the influence of the barrel. Great brew! I am in debt Dave!

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Bourbon Barrel Aged Hell Hath No Fury Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.