Bell's Batch 9000 - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Batch 9000Bell's Batch 9000

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

"Black, dense, and rich, this is a great ale for the cellar."

(Beer added by: alexgash on 01-29-2010)
3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large wine glass. Pours pretty thick and dark, but there is still a little light that finds its way through around the bottom and edges of the glass. The color I see is a pretty dark brown with maybe a hint of red. Minimal head and lacing present.

Smell: You definitely can smell the molasses and licorice right off the bat. I also get some brown sugar, raisins, dark fruits, and just a touch of coffee. The alcohol is detectable, but not overpowering. Very sweet and pleasant.

Taste: This one hits you pretty quickly with rich, sweet toasted malt flavor. Big dose of molasses, brown sugar, and a little bit of bitterness. The beer packs quite a sweet punch and is almost like enjoying a glass of brandy or bourbon. The alcohol is definitely a big part of the flavor and puts things on the edge of being a tad boozy. I imagine if I tried one after aging it awhile, it would go down a bit smoother though.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy! As soon as you take a sip, the sweetness coats your entire mouth. The touch of bitterness did balance things out a bit though.

Drinkability: For what it is, this beer is pretty drinkable. It's a nice drink to sip for a while and let that be the end of it. It would take me far too long to enjoy more than one of these!

BuckyFresh, Feb 18, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured on 2/17/10 into a RIS glass @ about 45 degrees.

A: Rating to style the first thing I noticed about this beer is that is pours a deep mahogany. Light creeps through towards the top and bottom of the glass. Definately not as black as Expedition.

S: The smell is good, the sweet is very apparent. Huge notes of black licorice and molasses are immediately present as well as the alcohol. As it warms dark/ripe fruits raisins, dates and figs notes are also present.

T: The taste is very good as well, sweet is definitely the theme. The licorice stands out for me the most followed by the molasses, and sweet ripe fruits. Some subtle hints of the roasted malt and sweet chocolate, which came more forward as it warmed. This is a very interesting Impy stout. It has such a unique taste the best way I can explain it is that it is a mix between their Third Coast Olde Ale and Expedition Stout. It is quite spectacular really.

M: This is not as chewy/thick as some. I was hoping for a little more here compared to others in this category. It doesn't distract you from this awesome beer but rather when compared to style, it lacks in this category.

D: The sweetness makes this a sipper, and being so young it is quite hot. Although the hotness is rather nice. I cannot wait to revisit this in about 2 years.

Overall a very unique brew from Bells that continues to deliver some of the best in the business!

Cheers!

pmoore311, Feb 18, 2010

Poured a standard dark brown almost black body with a lil' head and lace patches. Strong malt smell of roasted, hints of coffee, some dark chocolate, really strong so I think something like molasses (since it is on label) and it comes across more sweet than dry in the aroma.
A real smooth yet strong medium to full bodied beer, slightly syrupy/sticky. A good biscuity, oaky, dry coffee taste blends with some chocolate and some other sugary malts for a mix of sweet and dry, sturdy stoutishess. While not overly sweet the sweetness pokes through the most until the backbite which is a dryer, huskier finish which I believe stems from the very high ABV (for the record, the ABV is well-hidden considering how high it is). Other than malts I barely detect any tastes other than maybe figs or raisins and/or black cherry. A quality stout to sip on.

clayrock81, Feb 18, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +21.9%

Picked up two sixers of this delicious nectar.

A - Pours thinly for an imperial stout, but pitch black. There is no head.

S - Sweet with a strong hint of alcohol. Smells like burnt chocolate and molasses with a hint of raisins.

T - Delicious burnt maltiness! It tastes a bit like an alcoholic chocolate cake with prominent hints of molasses flavor. It actually reminds me of '08 Darkness if it was a little less sweet.

M/D - This thing has a nice, sweet burn to it. I would have liked it to be slightly thicker, but as it is, it is wonderful. It's a sipper, but highly drinkable for an imperial stout. This is definitely one of the best imperial stouts I have had.

DasBooot, Feb 18, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

As most of us here on BA, I have been waiting for quite some time to write this review. And so here it goes....review #132.

Picked up what seems to be one of the last 6 packs here in Rochester this evening. I am sure glad I called ahead and had some set aside. Tomorrow, I pick up my some more from my friend Mike at another store. After this review, I will know if reserving more was a good decision.

Nervous....maybe just a little. Excited....very much so. Larry and the boys at Bell's haven't let me down yet.

A - As I pour Batch 9000 into my RIS glass, I notice that it is not as thick as other Imperial Stouts. It pours out a very dark brown. Very little head with minimal lacing. Black, not quite. What little light there is, does seem to make its way though, especially around the top and bottom of the glass. Reminds me of a very dark brown ale or some strong barley wines that I have had.

S - This is a very important part to a good RIS. Lets see or should I say smell what is going on inside this beer. Alcohol is there as well as a burnt honey smell. That must be the Molasses coming through. Also I am picking up some dried prunes and raisins. Smells like a strong ripe fruit. I think with some considerable aging, this RIS will mellow out a bit on it aroma. Not bad but smells like a "new" beer that has just been born.

T - Yep, there is the bite. Alcohol is very present on this one. Warms the tongue and throat almost instantly. HOT but not in a bad way. As far as taste, again, the molasses is very very present. Malty. Dried figs and prunes come to mind. This is a sweet RIS. Saying this, I don't think that there are that many calories in this glass...Yeah Right! It tastes burnt, like roasted marshmallows. I wish there was more of the licorice present but that might come through with age. So far, not as impressed with the taste compared to aged Expedition. But, this will change with time. It always does. Therefore, only a 3.5 for this guy at this time. Time, and a lot of it, will only improve this one.

M - Liquid Sugar. Syrup. Coats the lips and mouth. But also has a grainy feel. Not as smooth as an aged beer of this ABV. Again, only time will improve this beer. Because of this....3.5

D - Good. Love the warming effect. This is a sipper and I like how it tastes. Alcohol is present when it is going down and when the burps start to arrive.

Overall, a very impressive RIS that will ONLY improve with time and aging. I plan on revisiting this review within the next few years but until then, this one needs to sit for some time....2 years minimum in my book. So, it looks like I will be back in 2012 to rewrite this review and make every other BA jealous knowing that I do have another 17 of this bad boys just laying low for their day in the sun...Mmmm.

Thanks Larry. Can't wait to see what you come up with for 10000. Until then...

Edit....This beer becomes much more mellow the warmer it gets. My suggestion...Pour it and then let it sit for a good hour. This beer is MUCH better, the warmer it gets. Don't drink it cold!

schellsbeer, Feb 18, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

Ah, the long awaited batch 9000.

A - Jet black. I think there is a danger it may stain my glass. However, this loses an easy point because there's no head, even with an aggressive pour.

S - Subdued, but sweet with not just malty sweetness, but what I am guessing is the molasses coming through. Some dried fruit, but just from the smell, you can tell this is going to be a monster.

T - Hits like a ton of bricks, all the imperial stout maltiness are right at the front, this is an imperial stout's imperial stout. Lots of alcohol, and dried fruity flavors. I think this is one of those beers you only drink one of.

M/D - Mouthfeel is extremely thick, rich, great beer. Drinkability is as good as it gets for an imperial stout.

mwa423, Feb 18, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +9%

Poured in my Duvel Tulip

A - Pours a dark cherry red but is black in the tulip, about a finger and a half of mahogany head that sticks around for a bit, not very much lacing from it.

S - Big aroma of cherry juice, some apple juice, molasses, malts, just a great smell.

T - A nice balance of molasses, licorice, malts, some cherry. A bit boozy at first sip but definitely smooths out. Goes down smooth and hides the 12.5% abv well.

M - Smooth mouthfeel with a little bit of oil but I like it.

D - Wow I really like this, maybe it is just the excitement of finally getting it but I definitely want more than the 6 pack I have, hopefully can pick up another 6 pack before it is all gone.

semibaked, Feb 18, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

A nice opaque black in the snifter, hints of foam in the center.
Smells mildly sweet, rich dark malts, mild dark fruit.
Taste is much like the smell but a bit thin. I hate to compare beers in review but I was hoping for something as amazing as Batch 7000. Maybe with some aging it may mature into something rich and special. It is a well brewed, mildly sweet stout but lacks the dense nature of Batch 7000.
Very nice to sip on with some cheese.

kirok1999, Feb 18, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +9%

#51
Reviewed 02-16-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass, also let warm closer to room temperature

A -1 finger of reddish/dark tan foam. Carbonation is present with a decent lacing ring after it settles

S - Dark roasted malts with molasses and black licorice. Slight hop pine smell but easily masked by licorice and molasses, I believe I could smell some pine unless my nose was deceiving me!

T - Big bourbon punch with a slight smoke aftertaste mixed with sweet licorice

M - Big Imperial stout taste with a lighter bodied smoothness. Slight gritty feel but finishes really smooth. It seemed after I let it warm up to more of a room temperature, a better sense of the aroma and taste of the brew really had come out!

D - Very glad to have gotten a six pack of this. Pretty enjoyable brew that if you have a chance to get a hold of a couple of bottles then do so. I plan to add to my review after I let some of my other bottles sit in my cellar! Yeah I couldn't drink too many of these in one sitting and expect to enjoy other brews. Best by itself or sharing with others.

FreshmanPour77, Feb 17, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

2/13/10

Bells
Batch 9000

L=4.5 Pours to a medium black body and a thin off white head

S= 4.0 Nose of molasses, fig, and sweet malt

T= 4.5 the nose carries over to an upfront sweetness, sweet-tart molasses, and dark figs

F= 4.0 It has a nice lively feeling with a velvety, medium creamy body

D= 4.0 One is all you really need. I would bet this beer cellared is quite nice. Maybe 2 years?

tippebrewcrew2, Feb 17, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -1%

Pours a dark semi-opaque brown with ruby highlights. Little brown head that recedes quickly to nothing. Typical of these high ABV stouts. Smell is a little hot, though nice notes of molasses, licorice, raisins, overripe dates, oak, and just plain sweetness. Actually, the aroma and taste is akin in ways to Utopias (maybe I'm way off base, but the heat in this one coupled with the dark fruit etc. reminds me at least a little of Utopias). Taste follows suit, though adds complexity. Very hot still, I get some caramel malt, a bit of molasses, some herbal hops, chocolate, dates, and a bit of oak again. Great complexity, would like to see a year or so on this guy. Very happy to have tried it, I'm lucky to live in a area that's great for beer. Drinkability is surprisingly high for the ABV, though the MF is a little thin. Definitely coating, sticks with you for a while. Only things that hurt the drinkability is the robustness of the flavor and hotness--makes this a sipper for sure. Glad I got to try this, will be cellaring the others for a while.

LordAdmNelson, Feb 17, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +4%

Picked up a case of this at Bourbon and Canal today. About time it made it to Terre Haute! $18.99 per sixer.

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter. Pours a deep dark brown with a two finger light tan head that quickly retreats to a soft and fluffy cap. Limited frothy lacing was left in the bottom half of my glass. Mostly opaque with small amounts of garnet light coming in on the top.

Tons of syrup/molasses. This smell absolutely dominates the nose of this guy. Smells very, very impressive. Small amounts of alcohol are mixed in on the back-end but seriously, the majority of the smell is the sweetness. Gosh, I think that is toffee in there as well. It really almost smells like thick, rich candy. Partway into this guy, I started getting the licorice as well, but you have to work to get there.

The taste lines up perfectly with the smell. This is a damn sweet beer. Caramel smoothness that reminds me a bit of the DFH 120 and the DFH WWS....or is that just the glass talking? Dark, dark fruits are very pronounced at the end with just enough alcohol zip to snipe you at the finish line. Fairly full mouthfeel, despite looking too thin for my liking. Very smooth with low carbonation - velvety.

The taste of this is excellent, but there is just a bit too much sweet for me - it borders on cloying. The previous reviewer mentioned that he thought it tasted a bit like Dark Lord. When I read that, I was very skeptical. After drinking it, however, it definitely has that overpowering sweet at the end like the 2009 Dark Lord did. Maybe he put that idea in my head, but I think he's onto something with the whole Dark Lord thing. The alcohol is well masked, although slightly discernible. I really did enjoy the beer, but couldn't drink more than one due to massive sugar high. Unfortunately, that means that my overall score on this guy is going to end up being a bit lower than a true reflection of my "desire to drink" would indicate. Another great batch by Bell's!

Consumed: 2/16/2010

hayesez, Feb 17, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

I had this beer 5 minutes ago in my Bell's snifter. Loved it...

A 4: poured our a dark brown with a lighter than expected creamy head. The Marbling on the glass was not exceptional but was definitely pretty good.

S 4.5 : Smelt of molasses and dark fruits, what else. Also a sweet smell of alcohol. I could smell it as I was poring it, which was amazing.

T 5: Wow. reminded me of dark lord. Havent had something this potent for a while. sweet, yet had that awesome bite of alcohal at the end.

M 4: coated the mouth but I was not super impressed. I'm a huge fan of those gritty, motor oil-ish stouts, and this was lacking a bit. It definitely coated the palate and sat very well on the tongue.

D 4.5: easy to drink. I'm about ready for 1 more... Definitely packs a punch at, what, 13 ABV, but still very drinkable.

I enjoyed this beer to the last drop. Worth every penny of the 6 pack I bought.

pml0904, Feb 17, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours very dark, nearly black, with an occasional clarity showing through burnt sienna highlights. Thin head of around 1/4" hung around for a while, but settles to very little, not a surprise though.

Smells rich, and nicely so. Blackberries, tree bark, leather, dry bitter chocolate, and a little alcohol spiciness. Chewy smell, but nicely balanced.

Sweet, round, and moderately bodied (not to be deceived, there's plenty of fullness, it's just not overly heavy). Malty backbone of dark toast and dense bread is filled in with cocoa, dark fruits (but not too sweet), and molasses. Other hints of leather and tannic wood, some spice. Finishes with a hanging alcohol astringency and some settling bitterness. Rather sweet, but still mostly in balance. Sweetness is maintained by a dry nearyl-burnt toast flavor. It somehow tastes like a wintry holiday evening with fruitbread in the oven and a fire roaring nearby, steam covered windows, heavy snow-laden jackets heaped in a corner... sorry, that's my taste-nostalgia, not that you're interested. A very nice sipper.

Alcohol is somewhat more notable than I care for, adding a spice to the nose and heat to the mouth that's hard to ignore once I've noticed it, though it's not altogether a bad thing. It also warms a bit in the stomach. An overall nice, richly balanced ale with some excellent nuance that sets it well outside of many similarly styled beers. I definitely wish I had a lot more to hang on to for years to come, mostly to be enjoyed in the aforementioned setting.

lightindarkness, Feb 16, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A little something special for my 350th review. Poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pour is pitch black and starts with a one finger creamy tan head that fades quickly to a small island of thin bubbles and a thin ring around the surface; body is entirely opaque; on the pour, the body looks a little thin -- more on this later though; spotty and loose washes of lacing are left holding to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Quite a bit to sort out here -- a slightly smokey presence; deep roast/burnt maltiness; definite whiff of alcohol offers a slight burn to the nostrils; potentially some dark fruits in there combining with the brewer's licorice.

Taste: Wow - pretty intense, robust and much sweeter than I expected (a syrupy molasses and malty presence); the dark fruit and licorice is a nice touch and blended/swirled together with a slight woody smokiness at the beginning and there is a lingering presence of alcohol that is mellowed from the sweetness. Originally, I was going to give the taste a 5, but after working my way through the bottle, I found the sweetness became a bit too much and could use just a little bit of bitterness to balance it out.

Mouthfeel: Feels thicker than I thought it was going to be based upon the pour -- the body is a little slick, but still quite creamy and thick enough to be sure; leaves a nice coating on the roof of the mouth that helps the flavors linger; gums are tingly and the belly is left quite warm from the higher ABV; carbonation is quite soft and mellow.

Drinkability: A very nice offering, no doubt about that. The only two detractors that I feel are the high ABV (12.5% wouldn't allow me to get through too many of these in a sitting) and the sweetness which becomes slightly cloying after a bit. Still glad to have had it and can't wait to see what some age will do this offering.

bamadog, Feb 16, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -6%

Batch 9000, interesting to note that I had Two Hearted earlier that was batch 9435. Larry Bell's must work at a relaxed pace. Finally found this brew around after coming up empty handed.

A: I was expecting some black goodness, but I'll settle for the darkest of brown leather with a nice large bubbled 2 cm head. Retention is pretty good and the lacing is present for a high ABV beer.

S: Brewed with Molasses? You don't say! Big malt build in this beer and molasses is the one left standing after the game of king of the hill. In addition to the molasses some caramel and unfamiliar dark fruits come through. The licorice is noticeable as well. This is way sweeter than the 7000 I smelled a few days ago. I like it's intensity.

T: The taste is equally as big, but you can find a little more depth here. What I meant by depth is alcohol and I'm sure after two of these I'd be yielding onto intoxicated avenue. The sweetness is big, but not big enough to mask the alcohol. I am afraid that age will be the only thing to make that happen. It's variable with each sip - molasses, raisin, traces of chocolate., but most licorice. The alcohol finish isn't to my liking, very grainy and sort of harsh. To the cellar batchman.

M: It's medium-thick bodied, syrupy, and very warming with it's alcohol but over my acceptable threshhold.

D: This beer is like adolescent and needs some age, the sweetness is not too cloying and the alcohol is turning me off. This review will have to be edited circa 2012.

MPLS, Feb 16, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

12 oz aggressive pour yields a jet black color with minimal carbonation, but with a very thin brown foam layer that, when swirled, clings to the sides of the glass, then slides down in tiny clumps of foam.

Aroma is of strong alcohol, raisins, & black licorice (which dominates). Some undertones of fig as well.

Thick, heavy-bodied & syrupy, bordering on cloying, the taste is much the same as the aroma. No hops presence.

Drinkability is quite low, due to how thick & sweet it is.

Straight from the fridge, I don't care for this at all. Everything that's good about this beer becomes a negative when cold (or cool). As with many big beers of the style, this beer is best served warm & I enjoyed it much more by the 2nd half of my glass. Having said that, one is more than enough in one sitting. I picked up a few bottles of this highly hyped release, and will just cellar the remainder for a few years, as I'm sure that it will improve with some age on it.

Overall, this is a solid release

Bulkman, Feb 16, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Dark pour, off-white head. Reduces off to dusting quickly. Smell is very sweet, raisins, sugary with definite roasted undertones and elements of baker's chocolate.

The flavour on this is sweeter than I anticipated, sugary sweetness and dark fruits keep a coffee and roast undertone to a dull, albeit present roar. The licorice and hops that they used add an odd, sort of off twang to the flavour that's interesting but not in my particular wheelhouse.

Texture is syrupy, thick, wonderful on that front. Drinkability, again, I don't even know where to begin with a beer like this. It's a big beer that is meant to be sipped.

Overall: I've had all of the Batch beers since 6000, as they are always interesting offerings. 9000 continues in that tradition, a huge, unique, almost Belgian take on what I would classify as an American strong ale (not the stout that this one is slotted into, though I can also see why that would fit as well). I enjoy the things that this one brings to the table, though it's not about to usurp 6000 as my favourite of the commemorative batches that I've had. Like all of the big batches, it's probably best aged out a couple of years.

CortexBomb, Feb 16, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear glass snifter at cellar temp. No freshness date but batch 9000 marked on back label. Purchased as 6-pack at Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $18.49.

A: Very dark brown with burgundy highlights and soft, short-lived beige head with no lacing.

S: Toasted grain aroma with sharp alcohol and lots of sweet chocolate, licorice, and molasses, with molasses the most prominent of the three. There are also plenty of dark fruit aromas.

T: Flavor is very sweet as the sugars dominate this strong ale. This beer does not strike me as an imperial stout -- it is way too sugary and not roasted and dark enough to meet the RIS category. Calling this an RIS is like calling Arrogant Bastard a DIPA - it has qualities but not enough of the right ones. Maybe you could call it an imperial milk/sweet stout. It is still delicious with abundant raisin, candied fig, and roasted malt and lactose sugars. Chocolate and coffee make their appearances, but the mildly acrid but syrupy molasses component is most tongue-catching. The licorice is not as strong as in the aroma. The hops are light but herbal in nature.

M: It is a very sticky brew, but not all that thick and viscous, yet another reason that it fits best in the American strong ale style. Body is medium with a strong roasted barley and molasses aftertaste. The strong alcohol in the nose is a nice complement to the licorice, molasses, and roasted malt sweetness.

D: A really good brew from Bell's that pushes the boundaries of sweet with very good success. Surprisingly drinkable at 12.5% but more than one would be a challenge. It will be interesting to see how the other 11 hold up over the next 4-5 years.

argock, Feb 16, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 Fl. Oz. bottle poured into pint glass. Served 55-60 F.
A: Dark. Cannot see through dark. Pours inch of brownish head. Very very frothy. Thick blotchy lace is left around pint.
S: Chocolate, molasses, and a strong ferric aroma.
T: Chocolate, molasses, and ferric taste. Yes, the same, but more. The chocolate is very very sweet more towards the milky side. Dark roasted malts are faint. A bit of bitter hops hits after body. Dark dried fruits. Licorice is faint, but noticeable.
M: Medium to heavy on tongue. Syrupy and slightly warming.
D: Big big body. Well balanced. Very impressive that so many flavors can appear but blend well.

THORN, Feb 16, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Had this on tap at the Hopcat. Imperial Stout my ass! This is more of a barleywine or Strong Ale. I noticed very few stout characteristics.

Dark very opaque. Looks like a stout upon first glance, but then u dig deeper.

Smells of molasses and licorice. Dark fruit undertones.

Tastes sweet, notice the licorice right away. A little alchohol burn, but pretty tame. Very rich and complex beer.

Thick and syrupy, tastes just like Samichlaus Helles in my opinion. Which isnt a bad thing, one of my favs. Just not what I expected.

All in all, a great beer. If you go into it with an open mind, you will love it. But if you are expecting an Impy Stout, you will be confused and dissapointed.

JToad, Feb 15, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

So this beer exists after all. 12 oz bottle poured into a snifter. Not like this beer has been hyped or anything; just a little hard to review this from a clean slate.

Pours a clear cola color, not particularly thick of viscous as it fills the glass. Liquid settles in what appears a black, but against light is a deep chocolate brown with hints of burgundy at the edges. Initially produces a thick tan head of tiny bubbles. Head fades to a thin ring with some intense lacing. Aroma is very sweet and roasted, strong notes of anise and licorice, with an almost peat like presence in the background. Very little alcohol present. Not entirely appealing or complex aroma at this stage. First sips of this are very off-putting. Initially very sweet, licorice with dark fruit, and boozy finish. Clearly this will be a sipper. As this warms up and the palate acclimates to the sweetness this becomes more pleasant. The sweetness remains in the start, with a body of light roasted malt and molasses before a rich chocolate and toffee flavor balances the licorice sweet in the finish. Body is a little thinner than expected, with very light carbonation. Not much alcohol burn in the flavor, but very hot and warming in your chest and the flavors linger well after the sip. This will most likely be a divisive beer given the year or so most have been waiting for this, the expectations from Batch 7000 and the moderately unique (sweet) flavor profile. I much more excited to try this beer in a few months and few years than I am to drink another that soon.

yourefragile, Feb 15, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

A= pours a super syrupy black color. When held up to the light you can see through it an it is a very dark brown color but in the glass it's black. The head almost is non-existent. This was a flat looking pour. No whisp when the cap came off and it too some rigorous pouring to get a thin skin on top of the head. The skin falls and leaves nothing but a super this syrupy beer. This may be the most viscous looking beer I've ever seen...gelatine.

S= Hot! This beer needs a lot of age on it. This baby is rocket fuel hot right now. Every drop of the 12.5% alcohol is present and screaming as I dip my nose in. Other than the heat I get some liqorice but not much. Alcohol is so light and pungent that it just takes over the nose.

T= Not as hot as the smell leads on to believe. This one has a lot of rasins in it and dark fruit. There's some liqorice in it and some but not much chocolate and roasty malts. Super sweet.

M= Thick Viscous coating syrupy and flat are the words to describe this one. The thickest most viscous thing I've ever had. Tastes like it could solidify if I put it in the fridge a little longer.

D= Well... I thought it beer would be horrible fresh. It wasn't as bad as I thought but it was lacking in the carbonation area. Some age on this one and it will be world class but it is way way way to young right now. I just can't hold this beer up to the hype it has recieved yet. In three years come back to this one and I bet it will be a whole new beast and a much more complex smooth drink after all it's not gonna loose any carbonation in that time.

jjanega08, Feb 15, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a very dark brown that shows only against light, with about half an inch of brownish head and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells of sweet malts, dark fruits, chocolate, and licorice. Very interesting.

t - Tastes strongly of alocohol and licorice. Also tastes of sweet malts, molasses, and hints of fruit. Again, rather unique but very alcoholic.

m - Sweet yet dominated by alcohol. Full bodied with moderate carbonation.

d - Not really sure what to make of this one. It smelled and tasted stongly of licorice and alcohol, making an interesting mix. I think for now it's too hot and could benefit from some time in the cellar. I'll be putting the other 5 bottles in the cellar and sitting on them for a while, which I would suggest.

mdfb79, Feb 15, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

A - Dark, Dark mahogany-red-brown with ruby highlights in the corners. Slight head of espresso colored foam.

S - Bang! Dark fruit, plums, prunes, a little chocolate. Smells like a pound cake.

T - Wow! Sweet, sweet sweet. Again with dark fruits, chocolate, maltiness. A little coffee, but that is way back there. Slight bitterness, I would guess from grains and not from hops.

M - Full-Full, cloying. Not hot with alcohol however.

D - I'm giving this because, against the wishes of my medical team, I could drink this beer a lot. Well brought, I can't wait to see batch 10k!

enfield249, Feb 15, 2010
Bell's Batch 9000 from Bell's Brewery, Inc.