1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Batch 10000 - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Batch 10000Bell's Batch 10000

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.20% ABV

"Strong Brown Ale"

(Beer added by: Spica66 on 11-29-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 699 | Reviews: 398 | Show All Ratings:
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

I got this as an extra but I can't who it came from.

It pours a pitch black; I held my glass to the light and couldn't see any light or hints of red or...

There's a nice 1 finger head of off white foam and it has oodles of lacing.

It has an overall sweet smell to it. I'm guessing a fruity sweetness, dark pitted? mixed in with caramel malt. It's very pleasant.

My first sip and I do not taste anything fruit like at all. I find some grain and caramel malt, a bitterness that is dark chocolate insinuating, toffee, perhaps figs....a pretty good tasting brew except, I'd say, the goodish flavours there aren't really vibrant. I don't know when this originally came out but I reckon it's a good drinker now so no worries on my part.

The carbonation is on the light side with a more than ample body. Some alcohol that I can feel more than I can taste and that's always a good thing. Yep. I'm liking this Batch 10,000.

11-21-2011 22:50:45 | More by Bitterbill
pBRale

Iowa

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I was able to enjoy this on tap at Bob's bar in Columbus... Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Dark brown-black pour with a creamy and dense pale tan head that settles slowly. The head eventually dissipates into a short little creamy ribbon that leaves a thick lace down the glass. Truly a beautiful beer.

Smell: The smell was a little hard to identify, but could definitely detect a lot of dark fruits and some subtle sweetness of toffee. The malt aromas were complex and delicious.

Taste: This beer was phenomenal with huge robust flavors that were nearly overwhelming. The malt profile was too complex for me to identify everything, but it reminded me of a cross between an imperial stout and a scotch ale. Incredible flavors that are well blended and powerful. Nice toasted malt flavors combined with a rich almost smoky flavor and a hint of coffee as well. The alcohol/booziness is present but not overpowering. Very well done.

Mouthfeel: The body is full and thick and the carbonation is medium, just perfect for the beer. This is an incredibly drinkable beer for >9%.

Overall: An excellent beer that is very well done. The alcohol is surprisingly mellow and this is a beer I wish I could have a large supply of. Thank you Bell's for batch 10,000!

11-19-2011 18:18:48 | More by pBRale
mdaschaf

Washington

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pours a very deep brown with a smallish tan colored head. Not much retention, quickly dissipating to a ring of foam on the top. Large bubbly, lacing forms on the sides.

S: A little bit of citrus hops, some toffee, a little bit of a nutty aroma, a little bit of wood, and a hint of smoke.

T: An interesting combination of flavors. Some caramel and toffee, a bit of coffee, brown sugar, a little bit of floral hops. The smoke returns right at the end again.

M: Medium to full bodied with low carbonation. Slight hint of alcohol, but overall well hidden.

O: Pretty good, better than I was expecting. Liked it better than 9000, but not something I am dying to have again.

11-16-2011 02:22:07 | More by mdaschaf
Stockfan42

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a dark brown body that lets a little light through with a foamy tan head.

Smell has a lot of heat to it as well as some roasted malts, sweet molasses, and some dark fruits.

Taste has a bit of heat to it as well. Dark fruits like raisins and figs stand out, roasted malt and sweet molasses as well. A bit of a toffee like lingers in the back.

Mouthfeel is a little bit thick, almost velvet like yet still almost medium bodied. Carbonated nicely and leaves a nice bitter aftertaste.

Overall this was a pretty tasty beer. A pretty generous extra tossed in on a recent trade. A beer I will likely seek out again.

11-14-2011 01:46:41 | More by Stockfan42

Freshness: Released in November, 2010
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle
Glassware: Tulip
Purchased: Single from Chuck's, Bowling Green, KY

I believe this beer is right at 1 year old now.

Color is a deep, dark brown with little clarity. The head is tan and about 2 fingers in height, with fair retention and a nice lace on the glass.

Aromas are strong, with dominant notes of sweet, dark fruits and alcohol. This smells like a barrel-aged beer or dark Belgian ale to me, with oak and also molasses characteristics. Very nice aroma overall.

The taste is reminiscent of an imperial stout, with big flavors of toasted malts, bittersweet chocolate and coffee. Rich, with malty sweetness, but it is tempered by a strong hop bitterness. The bitter aspects are not as assertive as in other strong ales I've had, however. Definitely some alcohol warmth in this one as well.

The mouthfeel is thick and full-bodied, with a finish of moderate bitterness from the roasted malts.

Overall I found this to be a very interesting beer, quite unlike anything else I've had. If I had to guess what style this was in a blind taste test I'd choose either a strong dark Belgian ale (from the aromas) or an imperial stout (from the taste). I guess that's what happens when you combine 100 different malts/grains and 60 different hops in a beer.

11-08-2011 04:45:52 | More by sommersb
bcostner1

Tennessee

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Got this as an extra from surlytwinsfan. Thanks Marc!

A: Dark, deep brown with a thick, creamy tan head. Pours beautifully. Just about the right amount of carbonation apparent.

S: Malt, molasses, a little bit of rye maybe. Mild boozy quality in the nose. Overall the smell is good, I just wish there were a little more of it.

T: I love the way this one tastes. Reminds me a lot of He'Brew Vertical Jewbelation which is one of my all time fav beers. I find this one to be very complex. I get: malt and molasses primarily along with heavy, rich, decadent caramel; hints of vanilla; very mild spicy/peppery characteristic; maybe some dark fruit/date characteristics too; ends with a very very mild woody/rye whiskey-ish quality to me. I am enjoying it quite a bit.

M: Very smooth and silky. Easy to drink. Can hardly detect any alcohol. It is deceptive at 9.2%.

Overall, I'm a big fan. I wish I had access to more of this...I would for sure buy it up and save some.

11-01-2011 23:00:27 | More by bcostner1
mdvatab

Indiana

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Bordeaux glass.

Aroma: Roasty caramel malt, an odd metallic twang, alcohol, and some scotch at the end. Metallic note aside, not a bad aroma, but it also didn't give me a great idea of what I was getting into.

Appearance: Dark brown body with a bit of a haze. Light tan one-finger head has decent retention, and leaves a sheet of foam on the inside of the glass when I tip it.

Flavor: Very strange... Canteloupe, some black licorice, come vanilla and coconut, wet leather, and Band-aid. Malty sweetness up front, and a stronger bitterness on the back end. Not what I was expecting, and not very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation and medium-full body. A bit of peppery from the alcohol in this one.

Overall: I'm sorry to say that this is probably the first Bell's beer that I'd never care to drink again. It wasn't horrendous, but at the same time, just didn't do it for me. I'd heard some good things about it, so maybe it was just me. Give it a try for yourself if given the opportunity, but I wouldn't recommend picking this one over other well-rated beers.

10-29-2011 20:43:32 | More by mdvatab
Strix

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Celebrating the birth of my first child last week.

Pitch black, brown edges. Good initial head, some lacing.

Smells of anise, malt, raisins, bread, citrus.

Amazingly complex. Sugar, malt, caramel, raisin, lingering pine and grapefruit flavor. Some other sort of strange notes in there (cardboard, bandaid?), but they melded into the mix.

Mouthfeel smooth and coating.

A lot like a barleywine. I just read this has 191 ingredients - hilarious! Considering that, it's a really nice concoction. I guess it's the kitchen sink, but I found it to be a tasty kitchen sink.

10-27-2011 01:41:15 | More by Strix
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.13/5  rDev -44.4%

Bottle: Poured a medium murky brown color ale with an average size foamy head with light retention. Aroma of fusel alcohol, caramelized malt with a bunch of other characteristics that are hard to describe. Taste has lots going on with notes of fusel alcohol, caramelized malt, light smoke, some paint and astringent finish. Body is quite full with good carbonation and some apparent alcohol. I guess this is what happened when you throw everything in the kettle.

10-26-2011 19:48:01 | More by Phyl21ca
FosterJM

895th Review on BA
Bottle to Snifter
12 oz

2010

App- A dark brown color with an aggressive pour only yielded a 1/2 finger of semi bubbly head. Falls to a 1/8" of a ring of bubbles. As you drink more cling presents.

Smell- A good bit of drunken raisin scent with a strong malt behind it. A good bit of that grainular brown ale note.

Taste- A mix of strong ale and brown ale. Dark fruits, booze, malts and grain. A few flavors mesh pretty well but the raisin stands out. A little awkward but still good.

Mouth- A light/medium grainular body with a bubbly medium carbonation. A bit of strong dark fruits and strong booze flavors.

Drink- This is a bit lighter and less boozy than 9000, but more bubbly. This was good but didnt overwhelm.

10-26-2011 04:26:43 | More by FosterJM
UCLABrewN84

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Thanks to Pellinore1 for sending me this one!

Pours an opaque and murky dark brown with a 1 inch puffy khaki head that settles to a small cap. Foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt, brown sugar, and some subdued citrus zest. Taste is of toasted malt, brown sugar, molasses, and citrus zest. There is a burnt/roast flavor that comes out as the beer warms. A mild citrus zest bitterness lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp and slightly sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good that reminds me very much of a barleywine. I am glad I got to try one of these.

10-26-2011 02:19:57 | More by UCLABrewN84
yemenmocha

Arizona

Pours a very dark ruby/amber when held to light, otherwise very dark brown. Thin, creamy head with pale tan color. Nose has some dark fruits and malt. Palate has a whopper of malt flavor, dark jammy fruits, and then hops ride onto center stage (with bitterness too, of course). Finishes leafy/hoppy and dark fruits.

10-25-2011 01:36:28 | More by yemenmocha
JayAre46

3.33/5  rDev -13.1%

A - pours a deep root beer color with sharp ruby highlights around the edges and 1 finger of off white head sits on top, minimal retention.

A - roasted caramel, light hops, lightly toasted malt as well. touches of cocoa.

T - toasted malt, roasty characteristics, nutty, burnt caramelized sugars, hops are almost gone, more of the cocoa, different spin on things. raisins, more dark fruits, this beer is the opposite of delicate very boozy and warming, the hops have faded so not sure if it would have played a strong affect anyway although still a good bitterness in the end. hot

M - decent medium body, moderate carbonation that keeps it from being creamy. harsh on the palate and a alcohol numbing affect on the toungue.

O - its alright, i like the cocoa part, less the toasted characters want more of the roasted and burnt caramel. not bad but kind of hot and a mess. not sure if fresh neccessarily means better.

10-23-2011 02:43:32 | More by JayAre46
MrOH

Maryland

2.35/5  rDev -38.6%

Very dark reddish brown, but still shy of black. Half finger of tan head with very little retention.

First whiffs are sweet, raisiny, and bready. Figs, prunes, sniffs of chocolate, roast, and hops come up with a couple of swirls. Some alcohol and traces of everything from citrus to rye and smoke are in there too.

Confusing. Definitely get some smoke, sweetness, and hops. A wide range of hop flavors; spice, herbal, citrus. The smoke sticks around. The dry spiciness I associate with rye is there, as is the breadiness that goes with wheat. There are only hints of the darker malts. A lot of the stickier dark fruits that you get in barleywines are there as well. As it warms, things smooth out a tad, but the breadiness takes over from the sweet dried fruits. Just disjointed as a whole.

Pretty heavy, medium carbonation, as expected at its strength.

Well, after 8 or 9 months, it still hasn't come together. I think this might be one that I just have to forget about for 5 years or so. Hate to give it a lowish (for the site) score, because I'm sure it will come together with time.

10-19-2011 04:27:17 | More by MrOH
Bendurgin

Maine

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%

I got this one from Grant a while back. Thanks. Poursed into a tulip. Pours a cola brown with a light khaki head with giant bubbles. Sparce lacing here.

Hazelnut in the aroma with hints of fruit and cocoa. A touch of sweet mollasses in the background. Seems a bit unbalanced, a little fruitier than I would have though. The pallet gives of some nuttiness with hints of dry cocoa powder and dark fruits such as dates and figs.

The body is medium with soft carbonation. Overall not a bad beer. Not really sure what Bell's was going for here but this is tasty either way.

10-12-2011 02:49:59 | More by Bendurgin
zeledonia

3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

Batch 10000 (duh). Bottled 16 November 2010. Bought this a few months ago, finally getting around to drinking it.

Pours very dark, rich chocolate brown at the edges, but black if there's not light behind it. One finger of light tan head, faded fast and left a decent amount of lacing. Dark and deep, deep and dark.

Smell is all about sweet dark fruits - figs and plums, and things like that. There's a whole lot of malt "stuff" going on underneath that, but the fruits are dominant. They're so strong that I wondered if this was spiked with fruit, or if it's all coming from the the malts. Either way, I like them.

Taste is sweet, rich, malty, and fruity. But it has a weird layer of flavor on top. Kinda like cardboard oxidation, but there's something else going on. Bitter but not in a good hoppy way. Strange and unpleasant.

Medium-heavy body, low carbonation.

Not super impressive. Possible signs of oxidation, but it's less than a year old, and from a store whose beer storage I trust. There's some really nice dark fruit malt character, but I wish that came through more clearly in the flavor, instead of whatever had me smacking my mouth, trying to clear it out.

10-09-2011 03:35:00 | More by zeledonia
mattgreger

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Picked up this brew at Capone's Bottle Shop in East Norriton

The pour on this brew was a nice dark black/brown color with a nice 1/2 cap head. It was supper creamy and had some very nice retention to it. It had some nice lacing throughout the brew leaving small webs down the glass.

Aroma on this brew is out of this world. I wasn't expecting so much from such a brew. The front of the brew is sweet, I am detecting a bit of pineapple. Then I am hit with a bit of smokey, caramelness. It also has a nice touch of some dark fruits as well. You can also sense a bit of hoppiness to the brew, but its not the forefront of this brew.

The flavor of this brew is much the smell. It has a nice smokey/roasted malt flavor at the front of this brew. Its quite pleasent. It then leads to what I can only explain to a pineablle like flavor. There is also hints of coffee/toffee and some chocolate as well. There is also a nice hint of citrus and some dark fruits at the end. This is one power house of flavor that gives up each flavor at different times. It is well balanced, allowing the change of each to work very well together.

This is a great medium-bodied brew. It is super smooth and very clean. Its got a nice dry finish just a touch of syrupy stickiness.

This is a great brew. Wasn't sure how it was going to be when I picked it up, but this is a beer I would certianly pick up again. Its a little pricey, but worth every cent.

09-30-2011 15:06:31 | More by mattgreger
AgentZero

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

A - Dark brown beer with a bit of off-white head and a bit of lacing.

S - A lot of peat/smoke and roast. There's some anise and a little bit of citrus on top of the usual molasses stuff.

T - Kind of sweet with a bit of roast. Some burnt sugar and a bit of a smokey and peaty character. Some bittering hops, maybe this fades a little over time and gets better. It's average.

M - Smooth, lower carbonation, fairly full bodied.

O - Not a good beer, not a horrible beer, it's average, but something I may pass on given most other options.

09-30-2011 00:29:28 | More by AgentZero
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

The beer is dark brown hued, with crimson highlights. Atop the beer rests 1/4" of tan head that leaves a fair amount of lacing in its wake. The beer smells of sweet malt, caramels, dark fruits, and alcohol. The flavor is pretty sweet, with additional notes of toffee candies. I imagine this brew would likely develop well if cellared for two or three years. Alcohol presence is noticeable throughout, though not overwhelming. The finish warms the throat, and leaves lingering tastes of dark fruits soaked in booze. A decent beer, I would be curious to try it again in a couple of years.

09-25-2011 00:41:57 | More by Huhzubendah
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%

12oz bottle.

This beer pours a clear dark ruby red hue, with one finger foamy of beige head, which leaves a nice broken sprectral lace paint job around the glass as it settles. It smells of faint caramel malt, pine sol, yeast, and earthy hops. The taste is edgy, somewhat medicinal caramel malt, a moderately smoky, salty, peaty character, and bitter leafy hops. The carbonation is average, if a bit zippy, the body medium weight, and mildly assaulted. It finishes bitter, smoky, and a bit uplifted and airy.

It took a while to figure this one out - smoked beer, really. Ok, then, not too shabby but still rather challenging.

09-24-2011 04:53:36 | More by biboergosum
Blanco

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

Beer pours an almost black, but still very much brown color with large white head. Excellent lacing and stickiness on the glass walls. Smell is somewhat muddled. Smell has hints of latent hoppiness, but is primarily of caramel malts. Taste is again muddled. Only the slightest hint of bitterness, dark fruit notes, with hints of something "soapy." thick mouthfeel. I really don't know what to make of this one. i was skeptical when I realized it was every hop known to man with every malt known to man in one brew and my suspicions came to fruition.

09-23-2011 02:32:11 | More by Blanco
JackieTH

Appearance: Translucent mahogany with a medium tan head, laces nicely.

Smell is grapefruit pith, pine resins, roasted caramel malt, coffee. It's quite complex. Taste is roasted caramelly malt and coffee dominate, but when sipping dominating a whole host of other flavors - oranges, chocolate, peat, pine, tree bark, anise and earthy herbs..

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy.

Drinkability: As always this one is unique. One serving at a time, enjoyed in moderation.

09-18-2011 21:24:26 | More by JackieTH
zachary80

Indiana

2.8/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

9/17/2011

L
Dark brown, some light gets through. Creamy beige head. Lots of lacing

S
Prominent aroma is a hard to describe variety of hoppiness. There seems to be an almost plastic or soapy smell going on that is unpleasant.

T
Everything kind of melds together, but isn't really complimentary. Some sweetness up front but not very strong. Bitterness sticks around a bit but is mellow. Not as roasty as expected for the color.

M
Somewhat light for 9.2%, finish isn't quite crisp but not sure of a better word right now.

O
Overall Batch 10000 is a little better than average. I think it has started to go downhill - peaked maybe around 6 months. Need to try another bottle before being sure though.

09-18-2011 03:15:03 | More by zachary80
PaulStoneAnchor

3.48/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Pours a dark ruby brown with a great head and nice lacing.

S: sweet caramel, candied ginger, toffee, and some burnt sugar

T: It is very hard to describe, but I get some earthy hop bitterness with a lot of burnt sugar, toffee, and some slight caramel.

M: It has a smooth creaminess and little carbonation

O: Overall, this beer is very interesting and complex. I get a lot of burnt sugar out of it, but also there are other lighter background notes that have a hard time coming through because of the burnt sugar. I have to say it was definitely great getting to try for a first time, but I dont know if I would drink this again.

09-13-2011 08:16:34 | More by PaulStoneAnchor
beerdrifter

Germany

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

Dark brown, almost black pour with a hint of ruby. One and a half finger head with decent retention and great lacing. Dark fruits dominate the nose with hints of spicy hops, molasses, burnt chocolate, alcohol, and a touch of burnt electronics. The dark fruit is also a big part of the taste, but unfortunately so is the burnt electronics. It's kind of a cross between a German Rauch beer and a Barleywine that just doesn't work for me. It's almost peaty tasting. It has all the ingredients for a decent beer, but it's just so unbalanced. The smokey, peaty, burnt taste does fade as it warms, but it's still there. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy with a very bitter finish. Definitely a sipper. Bells has been one of my favorite breweries and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with this offering.

09-07-2011 17:16:18 | More by beerdrifter
Bell's Batch 10000 from Bell's Brewery, Inc.