Bell's Batch 10000 - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Batch 10000Bell's Batch 10000

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.20% ABV

"Strong Brown Ale"

(Beer added by: Spica66 on 11-29-2010)
enfield249

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

A - Very nice looking strong ale. Dark red in color, off white head that fades to a thin mist of foam.

S - Slightly grainy malt aroma. Not much else.

T - First thing I get is some hop flavor, resin maybe? Then a strong flavor of dark fruit, very sweet. Plums or figs perhaps. Then it fades to a slight roast.

M - Medium to full. Middeling amount of CO2.

D - I gotta say, I was expecting a lot from this beer for bells 10k batch, and it let me down. What is this? Nothing bad, but certainly nothing to write home about. A very pedestrian strong ale.

12-23-2010 02:39:56 | More by enfield249
waltonc

Colorado

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%

Thanks to kzoobrew for hooking me up with this as well as several other great Michigan brews.

A: Pours dark brown, and ruby when held to light, with ample tan head.

S: Smell is a blend of chocolate, caramel malt, hops, and a cacophony of other notes.

T: I find both the smell and taste very nondescript, which I assume is because this contains the kitchen sink of ingredients. Lots of malt, lots of bitter hops, fairly strong booze quality, chocolate, coffee, etc.

M: Body is medium, with medium/high carbonation.

D: Overall, not a beer to have more than one bottle of in one sitting, and not a memorable way to end the Batch series. But I am glad to have the opportunity to try this and share with friends. It will be interesting to see what some age does to this brew and whether it rounds it out much. I will miss the Bell's Batch series beers and hopefully they will come up with some new interesting brews in the future, especially with the recent brewery expansion. And hopefully Bell's will stick with 12 ounce bottles. Something I have always appreciated about their beers.

12-22-2010 00:37:44 | More by waltonc
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

Picked this up at D's six pack tonight while bringing the kids and my brother and sister to eat some Chicago Dogs. 10,000 batch for Bell's and 2,200 review for me. Pours a deep dark ruby caramel edged deep brown bodied hue for me, chunky large bubbled deep khaki tan head forms thick rising well above the edge of the glass. Aroma hints of smoked malt not quite as strong as an ashtray but definitely getting there. Dark chocolate roasted malt characteristics with herbal mint green notes coming through. The smoke definitely overpowers the nose initially let's see how things progress throughout the experience. Flavors bring out rich alcohol and deep malted barley layers of smoked meat, sweet syrup, and dark roasted coffee/dark chocoalte notes with hints of acidity. Remember when you were a kid and if you mixed every color from the crayon box it ended up looking like a dark poop brown color. This is the same thing, I'm not sure how strategically they blended all of these ingredients in this beer but they're definitely not making it out in the flavor profile. A blend of dark roasts, well hidden hops a bit of pine and earthiness finish my thoughts on this beer. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied mellow carbonation, big chewy texture. Drinkability a take it easy sipper for colder winter months.

12-21-2010 10:41:04 | More by WVbeergeek
boomer31

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

A - Paours a dark brownish copper with hints of red around the edges. Huge tanthick head, looks almost soapy with the large bubbles.

S - This is odd...kind of a jumbled mix of smoke, leather and figs. I was hoping for more hops but this is very malt forward

T - Similar to the nose; smoke and fig but there is a hint of hop bitterness way in the back. This is an interesting barely wine, very enjoyable if you like smoked beers. The more I drink this the more it reminded me of HotD Adam.

M - Rich, malty and nice low carb. Not overly sticky

D - No hint of alcohol here just a nice smokey barley wine. If you like smoke you'll like this.

Overall pretty nice, too much smoke for me but I don't like smokey beers. I'm sure this will age very well and I'm excited to hold onto one for a while...farewell batch (insert number here) series.

12-21-2010 02:12:37 | More by boomer31
TCHopCraver

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Reviewed from notes made on 12-8-10.

Into a snifter, 10 grand pours dark brown with a golden-ruby tint. There is almost no head after a medium hard decanting, but what is there is a medium khaki/brown hue. A haze remains on top of the body and from what I can see, lots of little carbonation bubbles scoot swiftly upward. The lacing is understated and nicely sticky.

Threre seems to be a fairly even balance of caramel and brown sugar malt aromas with pine and citrus hop scents. If any advantage is attained between the two, I would say that the hops win the smell battle by just a hair. Accompanying the massive malt and hop war is a hint of a metallic smell, like tap water with a lot of iron in it.

Citric hop bitterness and hop oils yank at the bitter points of my palate and marry pretty well with the sweet malts when I take the beer into my mouth. I get a lot of brown sugar and caramel from the maltbill, as well as some acidic coffee and milk chocolate notes. The finish has a very stout-like quality with a roasty and acidic nip on my palate.

The mouthfeel is a compromise between medium-bodied creaminess and a biting hop presence. There is a lot going on in this beer, which makes it feel muddled at times, but it also serves to make the feel very interesting and varied, which I like. It makes me think more about what I am drinking.

For a kitchen sink-style experimental brew, I think it turned out pretty darned well and was certainly interesting to drink. I generally prefer style beers done exceptionally well, but this is a fun, unique beer that I will have again in an attempt to decipher its secrets.

12-19-2010 22:09:11 | More by TCHopCraver
ahking

3.48/5  rDev -9.1%

Saw the ingredient list for this beer on Bell's website. I've got to say I'm impressed but I wouldn't want this to become a trend. Pretty complex flavor based on all of the various dark and roasted malts in the grain bill.

Malt is the main player here, but there is a nice resiny hops backbone tying it all together.

Pours a dark mahogany with a tint of garnet red when held to the light.

I taste a lot of smoke, candied apple, burnt caramel, and a tinge of piney resin. The is a roasted ancho chili in the finish.

This one you have to sip and savor to really appreciate. It wasn't until I opened the third one that I "got it."

Taking a couple down to the basement to age right now.

12-19-2010 20:27:12 | More by ahking
AleWatcher

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

The second beer from the Blind Beers 3 BIF. Reviewed without any knowledge of the brewer, style, or beer.
says to use a snifter...

A very dark reddish brown. Looks black at some angles, and deep red in the light. A frothy 2 fingers of creamy tan bubbles leave minimal spotty lacing, but the overall impression is quite lovely.

Smell has chocolatey, coffee, black licorice, and a boozy goodness. This has a sweetness with a smooth, cocoa bitterness, spiciness, and boozy bite on the finish. The finish is drier than expected, but it all works well.

Mouthfeel is a little thin for a double stout... But it is medium-full for a strong ale... A slick oiliness is decently mouth-coating.

This started off great... But as it warmed, a piney hop quality, alcohol burn, and any cocoa, coffee, or sweetness disappears.
The beer seems like it could use some time in the cellar... But overall, isn't bad.

---reveals beer to be... Bell's Batch 10,000!
Sweet. I'm glad I got a chance to sample this one... Overall, it is decent, but I'd really be interested in trying this beer in a year or two!

Thanks Seth. (mpbugeye)

12-18-2010 21:24:50 | More by AleWatcher
Ambiorix

Kentucky

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Dark brown pour with a fast-fading tan head. Fair lacing.

S: Tobacco leaves, smoke, dark fruit. No hop aroma. Muddled. Nothing really stands out.

T: Smoke, bitterness, astringent finish. Dark fruit, sandalwood, cedar. Moderate hop character in the finish. Second sip much better than the first. The bitterness really lingers long after the beer is gone.

M: Medium-thick, with good carbonation keeps the brew from coming off as cloying.

D: I'm not sure what to think of this one. It seemed to improve some as it warmed. It's quite different from anything standard and really cannot be pigeonholed. I've got 5 more bottles left, so perhaps I'll see what some aging on some of them will do, though I don't have my hopes up. I liked 9,000 better.

12-18-2010 13:55:15 | More by Ambiorix
DavoleBomb

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a snifter. Got accepted to med school today, so time to celebrate!

4.5 A: Dark brown, but not super black like I was expecting from a 101 malt brew. One and a half fingers of light tan super dense creamy head. Good retention and plenty of lacing.

4.0 S: There's a lot of stuff going on, but surprisingly most of the components are subtle. Everytime I take another sniff, I pick up completely different things. Roasted barley, smoke, layers of caramel, toffee, chocolate, anise, nuts, and black currants. Hops are floral and citrusy with orange, pineapple, grapefruit, mango. There might be some coconut in there as well.

3.5 T: Taste is a bit less complex as many of the flavors seems to meld together. The main ones include roastiness, smoke, caramel, toffee, and anise. Secondarily, I get figs, raisin, tobacco, rum, chocolate, molasses, and coconut. Hops offer more of what's in the nose. Moderate bitterness, sticky hoppiness, orange, grapefruit, pine, pineapple. Alcohol is well hidden.

4.5 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Very good creaminess. Mouth puckering hoppiness on finish.

4.0 D: Surprisingly, it is already pretty mellow. Not overly flavorful, but stout enough to be interesting (think fresh Third Coast). None of the flavors dominate, which may be good or bad (I don't know). Once the hops die out, I imagine the malts will appear to be more robust. I think this will turn into something pretty good a few years down the road. I might have to get another case in case I'm right.

12-18-2010 03:18:16 | More by DavoleBomb
schoolboy

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Well I made a mistake - not in buying this but in opening it. I just busted it right open, wanting to see what wonderfulness Bell's had for me here. I took a sip or two only knowing what was written on the bottle, which give no hint of the style.

Immediately, it was too heavy for what I wanted. Then I read that it is a barleywine. Duh, it probably should sit a while longer.

But I will say that for a relatively green barleywine (I usually let them sit in my basement for a year), it is drinkable. But that doesn't make it great, just better than most barleywines that haven't had some of my basement conditioning.

12-18-2010 00:22:30 | More by schoolboy
bluejacket74

4.1/5  rDev +7%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown with about an inch tan head. Head retention is OK, and there's a good amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is roasted malt, caramel, licorice, pine and citrusy hops, leather, chocolate, and molasses. The first sip is sweet and hoppy. After that it tastes like citrusy and pine hops, chocolate, smoked malt, dark fruit, molasses and an earthy/herbal taste I really can't describe well. I guess that's to be expected with all the different kinds of hops and malt in this brew. There's also a nice bitter finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and creamy with decent carbonation. Drinkability is very good, I certainly didn't have any problems finishing this one. It's quite a unique beer, but I liked it. It'll be interesting to see how this one ages.

12-17-2010 01:25:55 | More by bluejacket74
bsp77

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter.

Appearance: Very dark wood-like brown with almost a purplish cast to it. Not much head or lacing, but has some nice wispy tendrils.

Smell: Strong citrus and pine hops battle a surprising peat smokiness. Some underlying Barleywine-like sweetness.

Taste: Initial impression is bitter and smoky. There is an undercurrent of caramel and toffee malts, but a strong peat taste pushes this almost closer to a Scotch Ale than a Barleywine. The hops are impressively bitter with some citrus and pine, but not quite as much hop flavor as I expected from the aroma.

Feel: Moderately low carbonation. Smooth body that, while full, is less than expected for a Barleywine/Strong Ale. Very dry finish that is also very warming.

Drinkability: I know a lot of people think this is a mess, but I am pleasantly surprised. I think the Scotch Ale / Barleywine mix works, and the dry American bitterness is just an added bonus.

12-17-2010 01:10:36 | More by bsp77
7ways

Georgia

1.78/5  rDev -53.5%

A: Looks pretty good, nice warm dark brown with a soft tan head, with tiny flecks of lace left behind.

S: Smells weird. Quite medicinal, with notes of herbs/anise/licorice, light/fake smoke, and cereal grain. Tree bark. Figs. Overall, it's pretty weak in strength and character.

T: There are so many flavors competing it's like being screamed at by an entire room full of people. Lots of transitions, kind of variable from sip to sip, so I guess you can call it complex, and it all seems to come full circle by the end of the glass. I pick out German hops and Simcoe (or some other catty hop), pretty balanced against the 986,000 different malts. But mostly I'm noticing some evil combination that tastes like headache medicine, menthol, soap and ham, and glue on the finish. Some things just weren't meant to be.

M: Dry and astringent, light/medium bodied.

D: I won't finish this glass.

If this beer was made by anyone but Bell's I don't think anyone would notice it.

12-17-2010 00:28:51 | More by 7ways
OWSLEY069

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a deep amber to black in color with a light tan head. In the aroma, alcohol, roasty malts, coffee, toffee, chocolate. In the taste, licorice, alcohol, sticky sweet toffee and a dry malt underneath it all. A smooth and medium to bigger bodied mouthfeel, with a dry licorice and alcohol in the aftertaste. Kind of feel like a big stout, I bet it would be nice after a couple years of age on it.

12-16-2010 15:43:59 | More by OWSLEY069
Keffa

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Bottle from Beverage Source in Newark. Batch number? Take a wild guess.

Poured into my Unibroue tulip. Review temp is about 45 degrees.

A: Poured a dark, DARK brown, nice 2 finger tanish head that settles into a thin cap, nice lacing on the sides of the glass. Held up to light, there are nice deep ruby/garnet hues to the edges. Beautiful beer.

S: Deep roasted malt, caramel, toffee, biscuit, chocolate, a tiny bit of citrus, a little floral. The hops smell like a VERY toned down version of Two Hearted. Mainly a malt beer here though. No reason it shouldn't be. Good.

T: This is a barleywine? O_o. First taste was coffee, orange, caramel, flowers, and toffee, in that order, and with a quickness. Second drink, a little wheat twang, more coffee, chocolate, flowers again, and toast. This is confusion incarnate for a beer. No one flavor dominates to the point that you don't pick up anything else, although the deep roast, coffee like flavor is very prominant. Excellent.

M: For the ABV, this one is on the thin side of medium, and is well carbonated. Creamy. Not bad.

D: Almost 9.5%? Really? You are kidding. This one and it's ABV is very well hidden in all the mish-mashed flavors. Easy to drink though, and the "new flavors every sip" approach (I.e the kitchen sink method) make this one dangerous. Clean, smooth, creamy, and deep, complex flavors. What isn't to like?

This one is amazing. My first thought when I saw the list of ingredients was "Watch this one tank". Now I am kindly *drinking* my words, and enjoying them. Fantastic job to Bell's. Now for a suggestion: Make this one year round :P

12-16-2010 05:56:27 | More by Keffa
biggred1

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Dark brown with a fine coffee cream colored head that leaves some filmy lace behind. Smoked malt and fruity hops, dark fruit etc.. Band aid, peaty smoked malt and citrusy hop notes. This is a strange brew, no doubt caused by the insane amount of fermentables and hops but not as weird as I had imagined. Medium bodied and mildly carbonated. Chalky, smoky, peaty, hop-oily finish. A ballsy brew..I dig that Bell's would actually do a production run of something so strange. I wonder what some age would do to this?

12-16-2010 02:53:53 | More by biggred1
RTrain12

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured into my FFF pint glass

A: Pours a dark brown. Almost looks like a cola. A very small paper thin head that was light brown. Some carbonation is visable.

S: Smells good. I'm picking up some malt, hops, pine, and bacon.

T: Theres alot going on here, pine, caramel, smoke, coffee, choc., and bacon.

M: Thin bodied, slightly carbonated. Smokey after tatse.

D: This brew is ok. Batch 9000 was one of the first craft beers I had ever bought. So I had to get the 10,000. I couldn't drink more that one of these in a sitting. More of a sipper for me. Not sure if I would consider this a barley wine. Looking forward to see how this beer ages.

12-16-2010 01:16:54 | More by RTrain12
Franz4

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

A- dark with a red tint to it, no head.

S- spices, cinnamon, clove, a little pine, some toffee. Smell isn't overpowering, but is quite appealing.

T- toffee up front with just a touch of hops in the finish, not an overpowering barleywine by any means.

M- lots of carbonation, seems to be pretty dry

D- not much to say about this one, it's ok, setting a couple aside to put a bit more age on them, hopefully that will bring this brew up to a level that is worthy of a special beer from a great brewery.

12-16-2010 00:35:27 | More by Franz4
AScribjr

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

I picked up a six pack at Joesph's Beverage center in Toledo, Oh. Thanks Matt. This beer was not as good as Batch 9000,but i did enjoys this beer as I do with all of Bell's beers. I was really excited abut getting this beer. But this beer left mr wondering What made up this beer. I poured into 20oz snifter glass With 1 inch head, That did not last long with no lacing. Being very cold in my area this beer seemed to fit. I'm going to are 3 for next year, letyou know how that turns out ...

12-15-2010 22:08:41 | More by AScribjr
JToad

Indiana

2.73/5  rDev -28.7%

Picked up a single bottle for around $3.00

Poured into a standard pint glass a dark chocolate brown, almost motor oil like in color alone.

The smell of burnt shoe leather quickly fills the air. My wife sitting across the room complained "Jesus, I can smell that from here!". Roasted coffee, peat moss and fresh cut crass. You can definitely tell there are loads of different grains and malt used.

Decent hop bittereness, which is a bit different for a barleywine. The leather is way too overpowering though, and eventually destroys your tastebuds. Lacks the sweetness of so many other barleywines. Roasted grains and some smokiness are kings here, almost tasting like a cheap cigar.

Good mouthfeel, full and crisp. Leaves no stickiness on the tounge or teeth. Alcohol is very well hidden underneath all the burnt tobacco and leather.

All in all, I did not enjoy this. I ended up pouring half of it down the drain. It is a cluster of flavors that just doesnt work for me. It can't quite figure out what it wants to be, and in the end, it's just not that good. I realise and can appreciate what Bell's was trying to do here. It just didn't turn out to be a good beer.

12-15-2010 15:33:13 | More by JToad
womencantsail

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

Thanks to Derek for sending me a couple bottles of this.

A: The pour is a clear dark amber color with a soapy off-white head.

S: Smells kind of like what I expected: a clusterfuck of hops and malts. Despite what is likely a very small percentage of the grain bill, the smoke/peat malts are quite strong. There's a bit of a citrus aroma, which is nice enough. Some mild coffee, toffee, and molasses.

T: Weirdly sweet right on the front but the smoke comes on quite strongly after that. A moderate hop bitterness, especially on the finish. Strong molasses flavor and some burnt sugar and very toasty. There's a strangely rubber-like flavor to this beer, too.

M: The body is medium to full with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: Just way too smokey and oddly rubbery. Not really a fan of this one. I'll try to age this one and see if it changes at all.

12-15-2010 06:32:53 | More by womencantsail
cadaugherty

3.13/5  rDev -18.3%

Served in my awesomely cheap New Belgium Globe glass-

Appearance- Dark Brown with reddish highlights on the edges of the glass. Nice fluffy head off a gentle pour.

Smell- Good bit of hops, not a surprise I guess based on the recipe. Honestly a little citrusy for my taste in this beer.

Taste- A little sweet for my taste, not much roast going on here. The bitterness on the end bumps this up a bit though.

Mouthfeel- Thin but oily, not my taste.

Drinkability- This is a one and done for me in a sitting. Halfway through I felt myself wishing I was done.

I have a hunch some age will make this better, but I don't think it will age as well as 9000 has. Glad I got some to try but also glad I only paid $15 for my 6 pack.

12-15-2010 05:30:13 | More by cadaugherty
jsh420

3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

pours dark brown with some red and a 1+ finger head that left some lacing

smell - strange mix but i do pick up 2hearted in the background
some chocolate some smoke

taste much like the nose - what i taste is a smoked chocolate 2 hearted with belgian yeast??

mouthfeel is light medium with decent carbonation

drinkability - glad i tried one fresh and i will do an updated review every year or so to see how this ages

12-15-2010 04:57:45 | More by jsh420
Bmoyer0301

2.4/5  rDev -37.3%

Appearance:

Pours a dark brown with some reddish and deep purple hues. On the pour there is a very thin (not even one finger thick) of head lingering around my glass. When I hold it up to the light there this baby is opaque with no yeast chunks floating around. Upon swirling my glass I notice the viscosity is pretty decent.

Smell:

Right off the start I am getting chocolate, heat alcohol and something rubbery. As my glass warms up a little bit I am finding plastic notes followed by band aids and cough medicine. Maybe some grapes ? There is absolutely no hop presence and in the finish some dates and licorice.

Taste:

Again, rubber and cough medicine are taking front stage here followed by some caramel notes. There really seems to be a hodgepodge of hop flavors that contradict themselves becuase it goes from earthy, spicy, to citrus. Very astringent almost like sucking on a tea bag that has been smoked.

Mouthfeel:

Not bad actually, but for a barley wine I'd like just a little bit more on the palate.

Drinkability:

I was rather let down by this one, I feel like they made this recipe by cleaning out the grain room and the hop storage cooler. There were flavors all over the place and I just couldn't get into it. Oh well, Bells still makes other great ales that I am generally very pleased with.

12-14-2010 22:43:30 | More by Bmoyer0301
PittBeerGirl

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Got to try this fairly fresh-as a great BA in MI hooked me up with this-Im sure it will be available in PA shortly.

A- Body is a very dark mahogany hue. Body is nearly opaque and appears almost black until held up to the light. Pours with a one finger or so off white head. This quickly fades to a thin collar and no lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Nose is quite complex and its hard for me to decipher everything as I don't really drink barleywines. Citrus and herbal hops are definately most dominant. Behind this is a lot of maltiness-can't quite put my finger on what type.

T- Flavor is quite hoppy and tropical fruits and citrus hops are the main character up front. The flavor is quite juicy and the malt background reminds me of a scottish ale with rich toffee components to balance it out. The finish mixes citrus hop bitterness with sweetness of the malt. The malt wins-but only slightly.

M- Body is rich, oily, and caramely. Very well done. Medium carbonation-I could see it being much smoother with this combination of flavors.

D- This is one of my favorite brews from Bells, actually. Not sure how much of a barleywine vs strong ale this is-but I REALLY enjoy the hopppiness with the scotch ale qualities. Very well done overall.

12-14-2010 01:46:34 | More by PittBeerGirl
Bell's Batch 10000 from Bell's Brewery, Inc.