Bell's Batch 10000 - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Batch 10000Bell's Batch 10000

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: Spica66 on 11-29-2010

"Strong Brown Ale"
4.04/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Dark brown with red highlights. A very thick, light tan head dissipates over the course of a few minutes to a thin film.

S: A bit of bread and sugar, but the primary scent is of mango and pineapple.

T: Molasses, bread, and a bit fruity. Definitely more malty than hoppy, but a bit of flowery hops come through. A bit sweet.

M: Slightly grainy and a bit of carbonation.

D: Alcohol is very well-hidden and it goes down smooth.

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%

12oz bottle

Pours out a nice amber brown color and almost looks like a cola during the pour. The pour produces a slow growing brown head that hangs around for a while and has nice lacing.

Not a lot happening with the nose. Caramel malts are the most noticeable with pine hops also hanging around.

Thank goodness the taste has more going on. Caramel and chocolate malts are easy to pick up immediately. Molasses, pine hops, roasted and possibly even smokey malts make an appearance.

The brew is decently thick, medium to thick bodied with low carbonation.

Overall this is a decent brew. Not one I think is worth the price, but I'm not disappointed I tried it.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours an extremely dark brown color that gives up some dark ruby highlights when held up to a bright light source. The head is a medium tan color and fades all too quickly, leaving pretty nice lace.

The aroma is not at all what I had expected. Very hoppy with some noticeable grapefruit, pine and mint. I also detect a bit of roasted malt, brown sugar and plenty of chocolate notes. It has a definite sweetness to it and a bit of a boozy quality. As I dig deeper I get a little bit of a fruity character and some earthiness.

The flavor is quite similar to the nose, but it seems like the malts take a bit more of the spotlight. There is a ton of chocolate flavor in this beer. In fact, I would say that chocolate is the number one flavor component that I am picking up. I also get a pretty decent kick of coffee like roasted malt, and more of the citrusy hop kick. There is a good amount of caramel as well and a spicy earthiness and even some smoke. This beer is impressive in its balance given all the different ingredients. It could easily be too crazy, but that balance really improves the overall flavor.

The mouthfeel is on the fuller end of the medium spectrum. Carbonation is subdued and it has a bit of smoothness to it that is a good foil to the sharp hoppy dryness. The finish is a bit on the tacky side, but not too offending.

This is one crazy ass beer that is really hard to pin down. It is so many things all at the same time, yet it does not seem overly muddled. The one thing that I can pin down is that it does taste pretty good and it is a fun beer to drink. Congrats to Bell's for 10,000 batches, and here's to 10,000 more!

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Saddened to hear this series will be ending. I enjoyed the one's I was able to partake. However, knowing this brewery they will continue to provide interesting options.
Pouring into SN tulip. Been sitting at about 55 degrees and threw into fridge for a couple of minutes.
Pours looking like a cola. Similar color and almost same consistency. Nice solid dense head with a tannish hue.
Complex malt aroma with hints of several things. Touch of roast, a little sweetness, bit of alcohol, a little toast, all with a mild background of hops - a little soft spice, touch of green, a little fruit. I'm curious how this may develop over time.
Flavor holds a similar complexity, although the alcohol is warmer and hoppy bitterness rather prominent and very extended. Hop flavor intermingles with the malt. There is a strange deadness at the beginning of the drink. It's followed by a long trail of subtle and evolving flavors that finishes with long extended bitterness and hop flavor. As it opens up I'm getting a nice sweetness up front (like an IPA).
The body and carbonation are done very well. Smooth and a really nice soft creaminess to the bubbles that is really quite exceptional. Heavy enough to match the carbonation, but not too big.
Drinks dangerously easily for size of beer. The bitterness is not so big to inhibit the next drink and neither is the alcohol or richness.
I'm intrigued by what this may have to offer over time. Which malt flavors will develop as the hops and bitterness subside. Almost too complex for its own good at this time, but not muddy or messy as others have claimed. I'd say just not yet refined. I look forward to the others...all in good time.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from bottle into 13 oz tulip. Nice tan head cresting the top of the glass. Looks like a dark brown but after further review its a deep deep red when held against the light. Smell is a tad complex but i get fruity hops and carmelized dark fruits ..cherry being predominate. Taste is as complex with citrus and pine hops, toffee..a touch of chocolate and fruit all dueling for supremacy...at this early stage i believe the hops win, but the sweet finish leaves me wanting more. A nice mouthfeel coats the tongue, not overly carbonated. I think its drinkable now and will continue to be a nice 1 to return to in the future. I drank it for what it is...a nice big beer.

3.87/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Look:
Dirty brown/plum. Bubbly light tan head.

Smell:
Bitter and citrus aromas. Lightly roasted coffee and spices.

Taste:
Very complex. Caramel, toffee, brown sugar, grapefruit and citrus peels. Mixed spices with a touch of black pepper. Undertones of cinnamon, smoke and dark fruits. Roasted nuts and a dirty root like flavor as well. A bit of a food fight going on here, but surprisingly works well enough.

Feel:
Medium/thick with proper carbonation to match the style.

Despite the identity crisis, it was still a very good beer.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance: Poured from Bottle into a pint glass. Dark, Coppery, Misty Brown with a thin caramel colored head. About one finger tall with spotty lacing around the glass, Nice thick legs.

Smell: There are a lot of smells here, but overall I get a waft of Sweet Citrus Caramel. Very Hoppy.

Taste: On the first touch to the tongue its almost bitter but then it evens out. It has a rich Toffee, Caramel blend.. Reminds me almost of a Scotch Ale.

Mouthfeel: Dry, Medium body, medium carbonation.

Drinkability: More of a a sipper than a drinker.

Overall: The 9.2% ABV is covered nicely with a plethora of tastes. It's apparent that Bell's threw pretty much every flavor they could into this to see what would happen. I Really Like this beer. It's a good Brew, but probably wouldn't make it as a Mainstream Bell's release. I would only drink maybe 2 of these. Any more and you'll be hurtin'.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Thanks to Cavie for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark amber color with a white head. The aroma is tobacco, leather, roasted malt and grassy hops. The flavor is more complex, but I am not sure how good it is. I get a lot of roasted malt, smoke, dark fruit, leather, tobacco, licorice and quite a bit of hop bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

A very interesting beer with a complex recipe, but the variety of flavors and aromas don't seem to meld too well. Maybe this will improve with age.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottle purchased from Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours a dark brown color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of dark malts with large amounts of pine and earthy hops. Also present are slight hints of roasted malts that fade as the beer warms.

Tastes slightly more complex than it smells. Dark, roasted, and chocolate malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by pine hop flavors. Slight hints of coffee flavors make a brief appearance midway through the sip before fading out, allowing the light roasted malt and pine hops to carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall this was a more complex beer than most I've had with a huge number of ingredients. Still, the complexity didn't seem refined. A nice enough beer but one not worth seeking out.

3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

A - Very nice looking strong ale. Dark red in color, off white head that fades to a thin mist of foam.

S - Slightly grainy malt aroma. Not much else.

T - First thing I get is some hop flavor, resin maybe? Then a strong flavor of dark fruit, very sweet. Plums or figs perhaps. Then it fades to a slight roast.

M - Medium to full. Middeling amount of CO2.

D - I gotta say, I was expecting a lot from this beer for bells 10k batch, and it let me down. What is this? Nothing bad, but certainly nothing to write home about. A very pedestrian strong ale.

2.86/5  rDev -25.3%

Thanks to kzoobrew for hooking me up with this as well as several other great Michigan brews.

A: Pours dark brown, and ruby when held to light, with ample tan head.

S: Smell is a blend of chocolate, caramel malt, hops, and a cacophony of other notes.

T: I find both the smell and taste very nondescript, which I assume is because this contains the kitchen sink of ingredients. Lots of malt, lots of bitter hops, fairly strong booze quality, chocolate, coffee, etc.

M: Body is medium, with medium/high carbonation.

D: Overall, not a beer to have more than one bottle of in one sitting, and not a memorable way to end the Batch series. But I am glad to have the opportunity to try this and share with friends. It will be interesting to see what some age does to this brew and whether it rounds it out much. I will miss the Bell's Batch series beers and hopefully they will come up with some new interesting brews in the future, especially with the recent brewery expansion. And hopefully Bell's will stick with 12 ounce bottles. Something I have always appreciated about their beers.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Picked this up at D's six pack tonight while bringing the kids and my brother and sister to eat some Chicago Dogs. 10,000 batch for Bell's and 2,200 review for me. Pours a deep dark ruby caramel edged deep brown bodied hue for me, chunky large bubbled deep khaki tan head forms thick rising well above the edge of the glass. Aroma hints of smoked malt not quite as strong as an ashtray but definitely getting there. Dark chocolate roasted malt characteristics with herbal mint green notes coming through. The smoke definitely overpowers the nose initially let's see how things progress throughout the experience. Flavors bring out rich alcohol and deep malted barley layers of smoked meat, sweet syrup, and dark roasted coffee/dark chocoalte notes with hints of acidity. Remember when you were a kid and if you mixed every color from the crayon box it ended up looking like a dark poop brown color. This is the same thing, I'm not sure how strategically they blended all of these ingredients in this beer but they're definitely not making it out in the flavor profile. A blend of dark roasts, well hidden hops a bit of pine and earthiness finish my thoughts on this beer. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied mellow carbonation, big chewy texture. Drinkability a take it easy sipper for colder winter months.

3.44/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Paours a dark brownish copper with hints of red around the edges. Huge tanthick head, looks almost soapy with the large bubbles.

S - This is odd...kind of a jumbled mix of smoke, leather and figs. I was hoping for more hops but this is very malt forward

T - Similar to the nose; smoke and fig but there is a hint of hop bitterness way in the back. This is an interesting barely wine, very enjoyable if you like smoked beers. The more I drink this the more it reminded me of HotD Adam.

M - Rich, malty and nice low carb. Not overly sticky

D - No hint of alcohol here just a nice smokey barley wine. If you like smoke you'll like this.

Overall pretty nice, too much smoke for me but I don't like smokey beers. I'm sure this will age very well and I'm excited to hold onto one for a while...farewell batch (insert number here) series.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Reviewed from notes made on 12-8-10.

Into a snifter, 10 grand pours dark brown with a golden-ruby tint. There is almost no head after a medium hard decanting, but what is there is a medium khaki/brown hue. A haze remains on top of the body and from what I can see, lots of little carbonation bubbles scoot swiftly upward. The lacing is understated and nicely sticky.

Threre seems to be a fairly even balance of caramel and brown sugar malt aromas with pine and citrus hop scents. If any advantage is attained between the two, I would say that the hops win the smell battle by just a hair. Accompanying the massive malt and hop war is a hint of a metallic smell, like tap water with a lot of iron in it.

Citric hop bitterness and hop oils yank at the bitter points of my palate and marry pretty well with the sweet malts when I take the beer into my mouth. I get a lot of brown sugar and caramel from the maltbill, as well as some acidic coffee and milk chocolate notes. The finish has a very stout-like quality with a roasty and acidic nip on my palate.

The mouthfeel is a compromise between medium-bodied creaminess and a biting hop presence. There is a lot going on in this beer, which makes it feel muddled at times, but it also serves to make the feel very interesting and varied, which I like. It makes me think more about what I am drinking.

For a kitchen sink-style experimental brew, I think it turned out pretty darned well and was certainly interesting to drink. I generally prefer style beers done exceptionally well, but this is a fun, unique beer that I will have again in an attempt to decipher its secrets.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

Saw the ingredient list for this beer on Bell's website. I've got to say I'm impressed but I wouldn't want this to become a trend. Pretty complex flavor based on all of the various dark and roasted malts in the grain bill.

Malt is the main player here, but there is a nice resiny hops backbone tying it all together.

Pours a dark mahogany with a tint of garnet red when held to the light.

I taste a lot of smoke, candied apple, burnt caramel, and a tinge of piney resin. The is a roasted ancho chili in the finish.

This one you have to sip and savor to really appreciate. It wasn't until I opened the third one that I "got it."

Taking a couple down to the basement to age right now.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

The second beer from the Blind Beers 3 BIF. Reviewed without any knowledge of the brewer, style, or beer.
says to use a snifter...

A very dark reddish brown. Looks black at some angles, and deep red in the light. A frothy 2 fingers of creamy tan bubbles leave minimal spotty lacing, but the overall impression is quite lovely.

Smell has chocolatey, coffee, black licorice, and a boozy goodness. This has a sweetness with a smooth, cocoa bitterness, spiciness, and boozy bite on the finish. The finish is drier than expected, but it all works well.

Mouthfeel is a little thin for a double stout... But it is medium-full for a strong ale... A slick oiliness is decently mouth-coating.

This started off great... But as it warmed, a piney hop quality, alcohol burn, and any cocoa, coffee, or sweetness disappears.
The beer seems like it could use some time in the cellar... But overall, isn't bad.

---reveals beer to be... Bell's Batch 10,000!
Sweet. I'm glad I got a chance to sample this one... Overall, it is decent, but I'd really be interested in trying this beer in a year or two!

Thanks Seth. (mpbugeye)

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Dark brown pour with a fast-fading tan head. Fair lacing.

S: Tobacco leaves, smoke, dark fruit. No hop aroma. Muddled. Nothing really stands out.

T: Smoke, bitterness, astringent finish. Dark fruit, sandalwood, cedar. Moderate hop character in the finish. Second sip much better than the first. The bitterness really lingers long after the beer is gone.

M: Medium-thick, with good carbonation keeps the brew from coming off as cloying.

D: I'm not sure what to think of this one. It seemed to improve some as it warmed. It's quite different from anything standard and really cannot be pigeonholed. I've got 5 more bottles left, so perhaps I'll see what some aging on some of them will do, though I don't have my hopes up. I liked 9,000 better.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured into a snifter. Got accepted to med school today, so time to celebrate!

4.5 A: Dark brown, but not super black like I was expecting from a 101 malt brew. One and a half fingers of light tan super dense creamy head. Good retention and plenty of lacing.

4.0 S: There's a lot of stuff going on, but surprisingly most of the components are subtle. Everytime I take another sniff, I pick up completely different things. Roasted barley, smoke, layers of caramel, toffee, chocolate, anise, nuts, and black currants. Hops are floral and citrusy with orange, pineapple, grapefruit, mango. There might be some coconut in there as well.

3.5 T: Taste is a bit less complex as many of the flavors seems to meld together. The main ones include roastiness, smoke, caramel, toffee, and anise. Secondarily, I get figs, raisin, tobacco, rum, chocolate, molasses, and coconut. Hops offer more of what's in the nose. Moderate bitterness, sticky hoppiness, orange, grapefruit, pine, pineapple. Alcohol is well hidden.

4.5 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Very good creaminess. Mouth puckering hoppiness on finish.

4.0 D: Surprisingly, it is already pretty mellow. Not overly flavorful, but stout enough to be interesting (think fresh Third Coast). None of the flavors dominate, which may be good or bad (I don't know). Once the hops die out, I imagine the malts will appear to be more robust. I think this will turn into something pretty good a few years down the road. I might have to get another case in case I'm right.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%

Well I made a mistake - not in buying this but in opening it. I just busted it right open, wanting to see what wonderfulness Bell's had for me here. I took a sip or two only knowing what was written on the bottle, which give no hint of the style.

Immediately, it was too heavy for what I wanted. Then I read that it is a barleywine. Duh, it probably should sit a while longer.

But I will say that for a relatively green barleywine (I usually let them sit in my basement for a year), it is drinkable. But that doesn't make it great, just better than most barleywines that haven't had some of my basement conditioning.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown with about an inch tan head. Head retention is OK, and there's a good amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is roasted malt, caramel, licorice, pine and citrusy hops, leather, chocolate, and molasses. The first sip is sweet and hoppy. After that it tastes like citrusy and pine hops, chocolate, smoked malt, dark fruit, molasses and an earthy/herbal taste I really can't describe well. I guess that's to be expected with all the different kinds of hops and malt in this brew. There's also a nice bitter finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and creamy with decent carbonation. Drinkability is very good, I certainly didn't have any problems finishing this one. It's quite a unique beer, but I liked it. It'll be interesting to see how this one ages.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter.

Appearance: Very dark wood-like brown with almost a purplish cast to it. Not much head or lacing, but has some nice wispy tendrils.

Smell: Strong citrus and pine hops battle a surprising peat smokiness. Some underlying Barleywine-like sweetness.

Taste: Initial impression is bitter and smoky. There is an undercurrent of caramel and toffee malts, but a strong peat taste pushes this almost closer to a Scotch Ale than a Barleywine. The hops are impressively bitter with some citrus and pine, but not quite as much hop flavor as I expected from the aroma.

Feel: Moderately low carbonation. Smooth body that, while full, is less than expected for a Barleywine/Strong Ale. Very dry finish that is also very warming.

Drinkability: I know a lot of people think this is a mess, but I am pleasantly surprised. I think the Scotch Ale / Barleywine mix works, and the dry American bitterness is just an added bonus.

1.84/5  rDev -52%

A: Looks pretty good, nice warm dark brown with a soft tan head, with tiny flecks of lace left behind.

S: Smells weird. Quite medicinal, with notes of herbs/anise/licorice, light/fake smoke, and cereal grain. Tree bark. Figs. Overall, it's pretty weak in strength and character.

T: There are so many flavors competing it's like being screamed at by an entire room full of people. Lots of transitions, kind of variable from sip to sip, so I guess you can call it complex, and it all seems to come full circle by the end of the glass. I pick out German hops and Simcoe (or some other catty hop), pretty balanced against the 986,000 different malts. But mostly I'm noticing some evil combination that tastes like headache medicine, menthol, soap and ham, and glue on the finish. Some things just weren't meant to be.

M: Dry and astringent, light/medium bodied.

D: I won't finish this glass.

If this beer was made by anyone but Bell's I don't think anyone would notice it.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a deep amber to black in color with a light tan head. In the aroma, alcohol, roasty malts, coffee, toffee, chocolate. In the taste, licorice, alcohol, sticky sweet toffee and a dry malt underneath it all. A smooth and medium to bigger bodied mouthfeel, with a dry licorice and alcohol in the aftertaste. Kind of feel like a big stout, I bet it would be nice after a couple years of age on it.

4.21/5  rDev +9.9%

Bottle from Beverage Source in Newark. Batch number? Take a wild guess.

Poured into my Unibroue tulip. Review temp is about 45 degrees.

A: Poured a dark, DARK brown, nice 2 finger tanish head that settles into a thin cap, nice lacing on the sides of the glass. Held up to light, there are nice deep ruby/garnet hues to the edges. Beautiful beer.

S: Deep roasted malt, caramel, toffee, biscuit, chocolate, a tiny bit of citrus, a little floral. The hops smell like a VERY toned down version of Two Hearted. Mainly a malt beer here though. No reason it shouldn't be. Good.

T: This is a barleywine? O_o. First taste was coffee, orange, caramel, flowers, and toffee, in that order, and with a quickness. Second drink, a little wheat twang, more coffee, chocolate, flowers again, and toast. This is confusion incarnate for a beer. No one flavor dominates to the point that you don't pick up anything else, although the deep roast, coffee like flavor is very prominant. Excellent.

M: For the ABV, this one is on the thin side of medium, and is well carbonated. Creamy. Not bad.

D: Almost 9.5%? Really? You are kidding. This one and it's ABV is very well hidden in all the mish-mashed flavors. Easy to drink though, and the "new flavors every sip" approach (I.e the kitchen sink method) make this one dangerous. Clean, smooth, creamy, and deep, complex flavors. What isn't to like?

This one is amazing. My first thought when I saw the list of ingredients was "Watch this one tank". Now I am kindly *drinking* my words, and enjoying them. Fantastic job to Bell's. Now for a suggestion: Make this one year round :P

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Dark brown with a fine coffee cream colored head that leaves some filmy lace behind. Smoked malt and fruity hops, dark fruit etc.. Band aid, peaty smoked malt and citrusy hop notes. This is a strange brew, no doubt caused by the insane amount of fermentables and hops but not as weird as I had imagined. Medium bodied and mildly carbonated. Chalky, smoky, peaty, hop-oily finish. A ballsy brew..I dig that Bell's would actually do a production run of something so strange. I wonder what some age would do to this?

Bell's Batch 10000 from Bell's Brewery, Inc.