Bell's Batch 10000 - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Batch 10000Bell's Batch 10000

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: Spica66 on 11-29-2010

"Strong Brown Ale"
3.52/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into my FFF pint glass

A: Pours a dark brown. Almost looks like a cola. A very small paper thin head that was light brown. Some carbonation is visable.

S: Smells good. I'm picking up some malt, hops, pine, and bacon.

T: Theres alot going on here, pine, caramel, smoke, coffee, choc., and bacon.

M: Thin bodied, slightly carbonated. Smokey after tatse.

D: This brew is ok. Batch 9000 was one of the first craft beers I had ever bought. So I had to get the 10,000. I couldn't drink more that one of these in a sitting. More of a sipper for me. Not sure if I would consider this a barley wine. Looking forward to see how this beer ages.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- dark with a red tint to it, no head.

S- spices, cinnamon, clove, a little pine, some toffee. Smell isn't overpowering, but is quite appealing.

T- toffee up front with just a touch of hops in the finish, not an overpowering barleywine by any means.

M- lots of carbonation, seems to be pretty dry

D- not much to say about this one, it's ok, setting a couple aside to put a bit more age on them, hopefully that will bring this brew up to a level that is worthy of a special beer from a great brewery.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

I picked up a six pack at Joesph's Beverage center in Toledo, Oh. Thanks Matt. This beer was not as good as Batch 9000,but i did enjoys this beer as I do with all of Bell's beers. I was really excited abut getting this beer. But this beer left mr wondering What made up this beer. I poured into 20oz snifter glass With 1 inch head, That did not last long with no lacing. Being very cold in my area this beer seemed to fit. I'm going to are 3 for next year, letyou know how that turns out ...

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

Picked up a single bottle for around $3.00

Poured into a standard pint glass a dark chocolate brown, almost motor oil like in color alone.

The smell of burnt shoe leather quickly fills the air. My wife sitting across the room complained "Jesus, I can smell that from here!". Roasted coffee, peat moss and fresh cut crass. You can definitely tell there are loads of different grains and malt used.

Decent hop bittereness, which is a bit different for a barleywine. The leather is way too overpowering though, and eventually destroys your tastebuds. Lacks the sweetness of so many other barleywines. Roasted grains and some smokiness are kings here, almost tasting like a cheap cigar.

Good mouthfeel, full and crisp. Leaves no stickiness on the tounge or teeth. Alcohol is very well hidden underneath all the burnt tobacco and leather.

All in all, I did not enjoy this. I ended up pouring half of it down the drain. It is a cluster of flavors that just doesnt work for me. It can't quite figure out what it wants to be, and in the end, it's just not that good. I realise and can appreciate what Bell's was trying to do here. It just didn't turn out to be a good beer.

3.11/5  rDev -18.8%

Thanks to Derek for sending me a couple bottles of this.

A: The pour is a clear dark amber color with a soapy off-white head.

S: Smells kind of like what I expected: a clusterfuck of hops and malts. Despite what is likely a very small percentage of the grain bill, the smoke/peat malts are quite strong. There's a bit of a citrus aroma, which is nice enough. Some mild coffee, toffee, and molasses.

T: Weirdly sweet right on the front but the smoke comes on quite strongly after that. A moderate hop bitterness, especially on the finish. Strong molasses flavor and some burnt sugar and very toasty. There's a strangely rubber-like flavor to this beer, too.

M: The body is medium to full with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: Just way too smokey and oddly rubbery. Not really a fan of this one. I'll try to age this one and see if it changes at all.

Served in my awesomely cheap New Belgium Globe glass-

Appearance- Dark Brown with reddish highlights on the edges of the glass. Nice fluffy head off a gentle pour.

Smell- Good bit of hops, not a surprise I guess based on the recipe. Honestly a little citrusy for my taste in this beer.

Taste- A little sweet for my taste, not much roast going on here. The bitterness on the end bumps this up a bit though.

Mouthfeel- Thin but oily, not my taste.

Drinkability- This is a one and done for me in a sitting. Halfway through I felt myself wishing I was done.

I have a hunch some age will make this better, but I don't think it will age as well as 9000 has. Glad I got some to try but also glad I only paid $15 for my 6 pack.

3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

pours dark brown with some red and a 1+ finger head that left some lacing

smell - strange mix but i do pick up 2hearted in the background
some chocolate some smoke

taste much like the nose - what i taste is a smoked chocolate 2 hearted with belgian yeast??

mouthfeel is light medium with decent carbonation

drinkability - glad i tried one fresh and i will do an updated review every year or so to see how this ages

2.39/5  rDev -37.6%

Appearance:

Pours a dark brown with some reddish and deep purple hues. On the pour there is a very thin (not even one finger thick) of head lingering around my glass. When I hold it up to the light there this baby is opaque with no yeast chunks floating around. Upon swirling my glass I notice the viscosity is pretty decent.

Smell:

Right off the start I am getting chocolate, heat alcohol and something rubbery. As my glass warms up a little bit I am finding plastic notes followed by band aids and cough medicine. Maybe some grapes ? There is absolutely no hop presence and in the finish some dates and licorice.

Taste:

Again, rubber and cough medicine are taking front stage here followed by some caramel notes. There really seems to be a hodgepodge of hop flavors that contradict themselves becuase it goes from earthy, spicy, to citrus. Very astringent almost like sucking on a tea bag that has been smoked.

Mouthfeel:

Not bad actually, but for a barley wine I'd like just a little bit more on the palate.

Drinkability:

I was rather let down by this one, I feel like they made this recipe by cleaning out the grain room and the hop storage cooler. There were flavors all over the place and I just couldn't get into it. Oh well, Bells still makes other great ales that I am generally very pleased with.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Got to try this fairly fresh-as a great BA in MI hooked me up with this-Im sure it will be available in PA shortly.

A- Body is a very dark mahogany hue. Body is nearly opaque and appears almost black until held up to the light. Pours with a one finger or so off white head. This quickly fades to a thin collar and no lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Nose is quite complex and its hard for me to decipher everything as I don't really drink barleywines. Citrus and herbal hops are definately most dominant. Behind this is a lot of maltiness-can't quite put my finger on what type.

T- Flavor is quite hoppy and tropical fruits and citrus hops are the main character up front. The flavor is quite juicy and the malt background reminds me of a scottish ale with rich toffee components to balance it out. The finish mixes citrus hop bitterness with sweetness of the malt. The malt wins-but only slightly.

M- Body is rich, oily, and caramely. Very well done. Medium carbonation-I could see it being much smoother with this combination of flavors.

D- This is one of my favorite brews from Bells, actually. Not sure how much of a barleywine vs strong ale this is-but I REALLY enjoy the hopppiness with the scotch ale qualities. Very well done overall.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Ah, the enigmatic Batch 10,000. I decided to review this fresh, I might add tasting notes in a year or so on an aged bottle.

A - Pours thick and brown, almost the color of a root beer barrel hard candy. Deep crimson edging when held to the light. A finger and a half beige head forms and recedes slowly. A moderate amount of lacing coats my snifter as I drink.

S - Very hard to pin down. One whiff yields molasses and brown sugar, another anise and pumpernickel bread. Alcohol pungency as well, and some citrus and grass, presumably from the hops.

T - Burnt sugar and malt liquor? Licorice and dried fruit? Definitely malt-heavy. The hops are prominent as well, but primarily as an undefined earthy bitterness. Despite all this, not unpleasant at all, and manages to taste somewhat like a barleywine. Tastes like nothing else, for sure, that I know of.

M and D - Not at all sticky-syrupy, like some barleywines. Full-bodied, finishes fairly dry. Nice, slowly-building alcohol warmth makes this a pretty charming sipper on winter nights.

This isn't as impressive as Batch 9000 (don't have a review as I lost those notes), and I don't think it will age as well, though I will hold a bottle back for a year or so to be certain.

However, I enjoy this as a weird old ale/winter warmer hybrid, and I look forward to cracking open another at Christmas.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a dark walnut color, nearly mahogany, with a 2 cm. fluffy tan head. Not really much retention here, and just a touch of lacing.

Smell: Raisins, figs, and some other dark fruits. Sweet dark malts, some pepper, and some herbal funk.

Taste: Starts out with some molasses-like sweetness and a smooth variety of darker malts. Some roasted malt here, but honestly the malt flavors really blend together. On average, it has a dark and roasted character. Some pine and herbal bitterness emerge from the plethora of hop varieties. Finishes bitter with a touch of sweetness and a dash of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: I like the overall creamy feel here, but it actually finishes a bit watery. The lack of strong carbonation may contribute to that. Slightly sticky, smooth, and a warming alcohol sensation in the stomach.

Drinkability: This was an interesting concept with the huge bill of various ingredients, but I just don't get into it. The flavor just does not blend that well. I expect more from Bell's.

3.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Dark crimson in the meniscus, fading upwards into darkness. Thick lid of sticky foam, etching itself onto the inside of the glass. Lasts a good while, garnering an attractive appearance score.

Aroma of overripe fruit, cantaloupe, melon, raisin and bready malts. Initial whiff of faint wildness manifesting as notes of horsehair and leather. Call me crazy.

Tastes ok, but muddy and indistinct. Pretty hoppy, pretty malty, what is it? Long residual pine aftertaste from the hops used, big caramel/specialty malt body, but ultimately uninteresting. Generic "Strong Ale" profile, not burly and rich as a Barleywine might be. Even carbonation, feels a bit light for the ABV, but i'm apprehensive about cellaring. Big "meh" for 10,000, Bells is capable of greater things.

3.11/5  rDev -18.8%

Appearance -- Pours a dark brown, nearly black in the glass, with a slim sudsy beige head. Lacing is pretty nice for a beer of this strength.

Smell -- citrus, figs and dates, toffee, cocoa powder, mint, woodsmoke, leather, and tobacco. Smell is...confusing.

Taste -- Zesty citrus, toffee, pine resin, caramel, dates and figs, brandy-soaked prunes, woodsmoke, tobacco, and black leather. Hops create a menthol-like flavor toward the finish. Lingering flavors of smoke and citrus pith.

Truthfully, this tastes like a blend of half a dozen strong ales. Alcohol is hidden well enough.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with ample prickly carbonation.

Drinkability -- Glad I bought a single of this, actually. Given the dozens of malts and hops used in this beer it's not surprising how muddled it tastes. It's not that it's terrible in as much as it is completely unfocused and refined. Instead of something exceptional it turned out to be another kitchen sink strong ale. Bell's, you're better than this.

2.58/5  rDev -32.6%

Batch 10000, I have been waiting for you.

A: Rosewood red/brown. A decent light brown head.Looks dark and wonderful!

S: At first smell, you get a nice dose of citrusy hops with a background smell of smoke, plum, burnt chocolate and other dark fruits. Really smells like a good Barleywine.

T: First thing that hits you is a HUGE smoked malts/smoke flavor. Transitions into a gamut of hops...first you get the piney resinous hops, and on the back you get the citrusy hops. Not a huge alcohol presence. When it warms, you get a SERIOUS cough syrup (robotussin) finish. Very unappealing in that sense. This beer is all over the place.

M: Good mouthfeel. It's not a huge "sticky" beer and is pretty smooth. No real "burn" This is the best aspect of the beer IMO.

D: After 3 of them in the past week or so, giving it every chance I possibly could... I won't be having another.The last one, I really almost didn't want to finish it. As I stated before, when it warms even a little..it starts to become fairly unenjoyable.

As a huge fan of Bells beer, this came as a massive dissapointment. When I heard the specs of the beer, I was hoping this wasn't how it would turn out...a huge mess. A beer that tries to be everything, and ends up going nowhere. Maybe I will try one a year from now if the opportunity presents itself, just to see how it ages and to compare, but that's it.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a Mohogony brown/almost black color with a huge pale head that lasts forever and leave huge amounts of lacing as it dissipates.

I get smoke, leather, burnt sugars, freash hops, and some caoco nuttiness in the aroma.

In the flavor I taste a present but not overpowering smoke (something like a beechwood or other light smoke). Roasted malts, a hop twange, and caoco nuttiness fill in the rest of the flavor.

The mouthfeel is a smooth velvet like feeling very different from the rich flavors warming alcohol. Still I cannot stop sipping this beer.

3.61/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

An extremely dark maroonish brown color with a creamy tan head that produces some nice lacing.

The nose is pretty light overall. I pick up some citrus and pineapple notes from the hops and if I really dig, I can get some peaty smoked malt with molasses sweetness. Again, it's very light.

Not too bad, but there is a lot of clashing amongst the flavors. There is a nice hop character up front with some smoked and roasty malts coming in after. Getting some cola with dark fruit and brown sugar sweetness. There is so much going on, but many of the flavors do not blend, they fight each other. Not too bad though. I think age will help immensely.

Smooth feel with some nice frothy carbonation. Medium full bodied.

It's a fine beer, but I really think this needs some time to meet its full potential. A bit confusing, but drinks decent enough. I will have to see if this one improves over time to make a final judgement.

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Half Acre shaker pint glass.

It was an added surprise to find singles o' this when I showed up to grab my bottle of Rare BCS. It pours an almost opaque maroon topped by a half-finger of dirty ecru foam. The nose comprises watermelon bubblegum, toffee, light vinyl, and lavender. Okay, I have no idea what to expect from this aroma: It's not really good, but it's also not repulsive. It is, though, very intriguing. The taste holds notes of rubber, tobacco, smoky toffee, mandarin oranges, and a light whiff of menthol. Again, things are all over the place, confusing the judgment center of my brain. The body is a straight medium (I have no idea how), with a light moderate carbonation and an almost chewy feel. Overall, this may be the most confusing and confused beer I've ever imbibed. And, frankly, I can't say much more than that until my mind is restored to normal working order. I'll get back to you in a few weeks...

12 oz bottle.

It pours a nice deep black/brown with a hint of ruby when held to light. The head is thick and foamy and light tan.

The smell is surprisingly n-muddled. It just smells like another version of a strong ale. It has a decent amount of roastiness, some fruitiness, and some nice hop character.

The taste is a bit more complex. It is interesting how this one seems to be all over the place, but it doesn't taste weird. It has roastiness, coffee, fruitiness, sweetness, a hint of tartness, and some nice hoppy bitterness. It has moments where it is reminiscent of a porter, and others where it is almost a BSDA fruit beer.

It runs the gamut for sure, but it is tasty and drinkable despite the uncertainty surrounding its ingredients. One bottle is worth purchasing.

3.39/5  rDev -11.5%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. 2010.
A: A nice looking ale, with a creamy head that sinks into a fine layer, atop a deep brown body. Lacing left in vertical patches.
S: A lower intensity aroma, which I had to search hard for this one. A bland and chalky note, with a grainy undertone. Very light aroma for the overall taste.
T/M: Nice up front character with a good level of complex malt complexions to a fine hoppy finish. The body is a bit thin, but the lingering taste is very prolonged. Nice figgy after notes.
D: I find this to be a very drinkable barleywine, one goes down easy, we will see what a couple more years does to them.

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

12oz bottle poured into Delirium tulip.

A- Pours a deep amber that lets in some light around the edges. A big three fingers worth of head leaves great lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Pretty balanced in the nose. Big amounts of hops but counterbalanced by the malt. A little bit of a meaty smell to go along with some cocoa and a hint of spice.

T- The hops greet the tongue right away but again, are balanced by the malt. There is a slight soapiness to the taste and that meaty flavor. I wouldn't say they are off but this beer would be better without.

M- Medium bodied with lots of bubbly carbonation. As for the classification, it feels a little on the lighter side. Just a bit dry on the finish.

D- This seems to be a mixture between a stout and barleywine. The hops are pretty present but balanced out by the malt. I wonder how this one will age.

3.47/5  rDev -9.4%

Served in a pint glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this bottle

This beer pours a dark dark ruby with not a lot of head. The smell is interesting to say the least. There is a strong note of fake grape like that found in Dimeatap. There is hints of smoke in the background of the nose. There are lots of sugary malts on the nose. This beer tastes too complex...I never thought I'd say that. The combined number of malts. There is a really sugary taste to this beer, the fake grape and almost a root beer flavor. Odd things that you'd never guess to taste in a beer. This beer may need time, but I don't know how well this beer will age. It's an intense experience to say the least. I can't honestly say that I enjoyed this beer, but it was interesting.

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%

A= pours a nice dark black color with a two finger tan head on it that holds some nice retention and lacing.

S= Smells like pineapple to me... Then I smell a lot of tobacco... leather? smoke? chocolate? dark fruit notes come through as well. This baby is all over the place. The hops take a back seat a little bit to some degree. Tons of interesting notes coming from here. If I waited long enough I think I could do a little bit of everything.

T= The taste is just like the smell. Smokey is the first thing that comes to mind here. Then leather and tobacco. Pineapple is in there as well. Pretty interesting how these notes all hit you at seperate times though. There's chocolate and coffee in there. Wow. A little orange to it. I'm telling you for a kitchen sink beer this one has a lot of seperate notes coming through rather than just a mess of them.

M= Smooth as velvet. This is one of the things I liked most about this beer. Smooth and clean mouth.

D= As I mentioned before this is a kitchen sink beer... With that said I had low expectations but this is one of the most complex beers I've ever drank. If you go into it with an open mind it will take you places.

Pours out a dark amber/red ,filtered, thick concoction that has 1/2 finger of tan suds forming a bubble ring of very small tiny little bubbles. Lacing.
Smell is charred malt and raisin bread with a burning yeast/hop aroma that takes over the nose. The alcohol is barely noticeable here.
Taste is bitter coffee then a quick sweetness like a malt ball then the bitterness takes back over and ends in a fig/raisin flavor. Cool.
Mouthfeel is a little sticky but you can't tell the alcohol in this one until it hits the back of the throat well after the embibing.
Drinkability is pretty good for such a big barleywine. Bells did a pretty good job here considering how awful 9000 was.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance: Brown, with red when held to the light. Good head, good lacing.

Smell: Hits with some dark fruits to start, then mild citrus aroma.

Taste: A real mixed bag. Reminded me of the roasted flavors of a porter but without the usual coffee or chocolate. Bitter pine hop flavors come through and has a dry finish.

Drinkability: Limited availability and high price mean one is probably all I'll have.

A hard one to decipher for me. I suppose the massive ingredient list battled it out and what my taste buds said was "bitter porter". Interesting to try, maybe aging would make this one better.

4.11/5  rDev +7.3%

Wow. I don't even know how to describe this one. Barleywine? No. This one is an American Strong ale by my standards. The beer pours a deep mahogany to dark brown with a thin cream colored head that settles quickly. Retention is average, and a thin froth remains on the surface. Lacing is excellent.

The smell is a bit faint. Mostly malt, with dried fruit, caramel, and toast. Hops are faint on the nose, but express floral character.

Taste is almost mind-blowing. Citrusy and grassy, with malt notes of caramel, honey, baked bread and dark fruit. Hops are clearly abundant, with more floral and fruity notes, leading to a long, dry finish.

Overall, Bell's did an awesome job with the final "Batch" brew. It wasn't my favorite, but still worth buying. This beer has some longevity, as it will likely mellow and develop some serious flavors in the long run. Get it while you can!

Bell's Batch 10000 from Bell's Brewery, Inc.