Bell's Batch 10000 - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Batch 10000Bell's Batch 10000

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.20% ABV

"Strong Brown Ale"

(Beer added by: Spica66 on 11-29-2010)
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Got to try this fairly fresh-as a great BA in MI hooked me up with this-Im sure it will be available in PA shortly.

A- Body is a very dark mahogany hue. Body is nearly opaque and appears almost black until held up to the light. Pours with a one finger or so off white head. This quickly fades to a thin collar and no lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Nose is quite complex and its hard for me to decipher everything as I don't really drink barleywines. Citrus and herbal hops are definately most dominant. Behind this is a lot of maltiness-can't quite put my finger on what type.

T- Flavor is quite hoppy and tropical fruits and citrus hops are the main character up front. The flavor is quite juicy and the malt background reminds me of a scottish ale with rich toffee components to balance it out. The finish mixes citrus hop bitterness with sweetness of the malt. The malt wins-but only slightly.

M- Body is rich, oily, and caramely. Very well done. Medium carbonation-I could see it being much smoother with this combination of flavors.

D- This is one of my favorite brews from Bells, actually. Not sure how much of a barleywine vs strong ale this is-but I REALLY enjoy the hopppiness with the scotch ale qualities. Very well done overall.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Ah, the enigmatic Batch 10,000. I decided to review this fresh, I might add tasting notes in a year or so on an aged bottle.

A - Pours thick and brown, almost the color of a root beer barrel hard candy. Deep crimson edging when held to the light. A finger and a half beige head forms and recedes slowly. A moderate amount of lacing coats my snifter as I drink.

S - Very hard to pin down. One whiff yields molasses and brown sugar, another anise and pumpernickel bread. Alcohol pungency as well, and some citrus and grass, presumably from the hops.

T - Burnt sugar and malt liquor? Licorice and dried fruit? Definitely malt-heavy. The hops are prominent as well, but primarily as an undefined earthy bitterness. Despite all this, not unpleasant at all, and manages to taste somewhat like a barleywine. Tastes like nothing else, for sure, that I know of.

M and D - Not at all sticky-syrupy, like some barleywines. Full-bodied, finishes fairly dry. Nice, slowly-building alcohol warmth makes this a pretty charming sipper on winter nights.

This isn't as impressive as Batch 9000 (don't have a review as I lost those notes), and I don't think it will age as well, though I will hold a bottle back for a year or so to be certain.

However, I enjoy this as a weird old ale/winter warmer hybrid, and I look forward to cracking open another at Christmas.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a dark walnut color, nearly mahogany, with a 2 cm. fluffy tan head. Not really much retention here, and just a touch of lacing.

Smell: Raisins, figs, and some other dark fruits. Sweet dark malts, some pepper, and some herbal funk.

Taste: Starts out with some molasses-like sweetness and a smooth variety of darker malts. Some roasted malt here, but honestly the malt flavors really blend together. On average, it has a dark and roasted character. Some pine and herbal bitterness emerge from the plethora of hop varieties. Finishes bitter with a touch of sweetness and a dash of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: I like the overall creamy feel here, but it actually finishes a bit watery. The lack of strong carbonation may contribute to that. Slightly sticky, smooth, and a warming alcohol sensation in the stomach.

Drinkability: This was an interesting concept with the huge bill of various ingredients, but I just don't get into it. The flavor just does not blend that well. I expect more from Bell's.

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

Dark crimson in the meniscus, fading upwards into darkness. Thick lid of sticky foam, etching itself onto the inside of the glass. Lasts a good while, garnering an attractive appearance score.

Aroma of overripe fruit, cantaloupe, melon, raisin and bready malts. Initial whiff of faint wildness manifesting as notes of horsehair and leather. Call me crazy.

Tastes ok, but muddy and indistinct. Pretty hoppy, pretty malty, what is it? Long residual pine aftertaste from the hops used, big caramel/specialty malt body, but ultimately uninteresting. Generic "Strong Ale" profile, not burly and rich as a Barleywine might be. Even carbonation, feels a bit light for the ABV, but i'm apprehensive about cellaring. Big "meh" for 10,000, Bells is capable of greater things.

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance -- Pours a dark brown, nearly black in the glass, with a slim sudsy beige head. Lacing is pretty nice for a beer of this strength.

Smell -- citrus, figs and dates, toffee, cocoa powder, mint, woodsmoke, leather, and tobacco. Smell is...confusing.

Taste -- Zesty citrus, toffee, pine resin, caramel, dates and figs, brandy-soaked prunes, woodsmoke, tobacco, and black leather. Hops create a menthol-like flavor toward the finish. Lingering flavors of smoke and citrus pith.

Truthfully, this tastes like a blend of half a dozen strong ales. Alcohol is hidden well enough.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with ample prickly carbonation.

Drinkability -- Glad I bought a single of this, actually. Given the dozens of malts and hops used in this beer it's not surprising how muddled it tastes. It's not that it's terrible in as much as it is completely unfocused and refined. Instead of something exceptional it turned out to be another kitchen sink strong ale. Bell's, you're better than this.

2.53/5  rDev -33.9%

Batch 10000, I have been waiting for you.

A: Rosewood red/brown. A decent light brown head.Looks dark and wonderful!

S: At first smell, you get a nice dose of citrusy hops with a background smell of smoke, plum, burnt chocolate and other dark fruits. Really smells like a good Barleywine.

T: First thing that hits you is a HUGE smoked malts/smoke flavor. Transitions into a gamut of hops...first you get the piney resinous hops, and on the back you get the citrusy hops. Not a huge alcohol presence. When it warms, you get a SERIOUS cough syrup (robotussin) finish. Very unappealing in that sense. This beer is all over the place.

M: Good mouthfeel. It's not a huge "sticky" beer and is pretty smooth. No real "burn" This is the best aspect of the beer IMO.

D: After 3 of them in the past week or so, giving it every chance I possibly could... I won't be having another.The last one, I really almost didn't want to finish it. As I stated before, when it warms even a little..it starts to become fairly unenjoyable.

As a huge fan of Bells beer, this came as a massive dissapointment. When I heard the specs of the beer, I was hoping this wasn't how it would turn out...a huge mess. A beer that tries to be everything, and ends up going nowhere. Maybe I will try one a year from now if the opportunity presents itself, just to see how it ages and to compare, but that's it.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a Mohogony brown/almost black color with a huge pale head that lasts forever and leave huge amounts of lacing as it dissipates.

I get smoke, leather, burnt sugars, freash hops, and some caoco nuttiness in the aroma.

In the flavor I taste a present but not overpowering smoke (something like a beechwood or other light smoke). Roasted malts, a hop twange, and caoco nuttiness fill in the rest of the flavor.

The mouthfeel is a smooth velvet like feeling very different from the rich flavors warming alcohol. Still I cannot stop sipping this beer.

3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

An extremely dark maroonish brown color with a creamy tan head that produces some nice lacing.

The nose is pretty light overall. I pick up some citrus and pineapple notes from the hops and if I really dig, I can get some peaty smoked malt with molasses sweetness. Again, it's very light.

Not too bad, but there is a lot of clashing amongst the flavors. There is a nice hop character up front with some smoked and roasty malts coming in after. Getting some cola with dark fruit and brown sugar sweetness. There is so much going on, but many of the flavors do not blend, they fight each other. Not too bad though. I think age will help immensely.

Smooth feel with some nice frothy carbonation. Medium full bodied.

It's a fine beer, but I really think this needs some time to meet its full potential. A bit confusing, but drinks decent enough. I will have to see if this one improves over time to make a final judgement.

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Half Acre shaker pint glass.

It was an added surprise to find singles o' this when I showed up to grab my bottle of Rare BCS. It pours an almost opaque maroon topped by a half-finger of dirty ecru foam. The nose comprises watermelon bubblegum, toffee, light vinyl, and lavender. Okay, I have no idea what to expect from this aroma: It's not really good, but it's also not repulsive. It is, though, very intriguing. The taste holds notes of rubber, tobacco, smoky toffee, mandarin oranges, and a light whiff of menthol. Again, things are all over the place, confusing the judgment center of my brain. The body is a straight medium (I have no idea how), with a light moderate carbonation and an almost chewy feel. Overall, this may be the most confusing and confused beer I've ever imbibed. And, frankly, I can't say much more than that until my mind is restored to normal working order. I'll get back to you in a few weeks...

12 oz bottle.

It pours a nice deep black/brown with a hint of ruby when held to light. The head is thick and foamy and light tan.

The smell is surprisingly n-muddled. It just smells like another version of a strong ale. It has a decent amount of roastiness, some fruitiness, and some nice hop character.

The taste is a bit more complex. It is interesting how this one seems to be all over the place, but it doesn't taste weird. It has roastiness, coffee, fruitiness, sweetness, a hint of tartness, and some nice hoppy bitterness. It has moments where it is reminiscent of a porter, and others where it is almost a BSDA fruit beer.

It runs the gamut for sure, but it is tasty and drinkable despite the uncertainty surrounding its ingredients. One bottle is worth purchasing.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. 2010.
A: A nice looking ale, with a creamy head that sinks into a fine layer, atop a deep brown body. Lacing left in vertical patches.
S: A lower intensity aroma, which I had to search hard for this one. A bland and chalky note, with a grainy undertone. Very light aroma for the overall taste.
T/M: Nice up front character with a good level of complex malt complexions to a fine hoppy finish. The body is a bit thin, but the lingering taste is very prolonged. Nice figgy after notes.
D: I find this to be a very drinkable barleywine, one goes down easy, we will see what a couple more years does to them.

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

12oz bottle poured into Delirium tulip.

A- Pours a deep amber that lets in some light around the edges. A big three fingers worth of head leaves great lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Pretty balanced in the nose. Big amounts of hops but counterbalanced by the malt. A little bit of a meaty smell to go along with some cocoa and a hint of spice.

T- The hops greet the tongue right away but again, are balanced by the malt. There is a slight soapiness to the taste and that meaty flavor. I wouldn't say they are off but this beer would be better without.

M- Medium bodied with lots of bubbly carbonation. As for the classification, it feels a little on the lighter side. Just a bit dry on the finish.

D- This seems to be a mixture between a stout and barleywine. The hops are pretty present but balanced out by the malt. I wonder how this one will age.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

Served in a pint glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this bottle

This beer pours a dark dark ruby with not a lot of head. The smell is interesting to say the least. There is a strong note of fake grape like that found in Dimeatap. There is hints of smoke in the background of the nose. There are lots of sugary malts on the nose. This beer tastes too complex...I never thought I'd say that. The combined number of malts. There is a really sugary taste to this beer, the fake grape and almost a root beer flavor. Odd things that you'd never guess to taste in a beer. This beer may need time, but I don't know how well this beer will age. It's an intense experience to say the least. I can't honestly say that I enjoyed this beer, but it was interesting.

4.58/5  rDev +19.6%

A= pours a nice dark black color with a two finger tan head on it that holds some nice retention and lacing.

S= Smells like pineapple to me... Then I smell a lot of tobacco... leather? smoke? chocolate? dark fruit notes come through as well. This baby is all over the place. The hops take a back seat a little bit to some degree. Tons of interesting notes coming from here. If I waited long enough I think I could do a little bit of everything.

T= The taste is just like the smell. Smokey is the first thing that comes to mind here. Then leather and tobacco. Pineapple is in there as well. Pretty interesting how these notes all hit you at seperate times though. There's chocolate and coffee in there. Wow. A little orange to it. I'm telling you for a kitchen sink beer this one has a lot of seperate notes coming through rather than just a mess of them.

M= Smooth as velvet. This is one of the things I liked most about this beer. Smooth and clean mouth.

D= As I mentioned before this is a kitchen sink beer... With that said I had low expectations but this is one of the most complex beers I've ever drank. If you go into it with an open mind it will take you places.

Pours out a dark amber/red ,filtered, thick concoction that has 1/2 finger of tan suds forming a bubble ring of very small tiny little bubbles. Lacing.
Smell is charred malt and raisin bread with a burning yeast/hop aroma that takes over the nose. The alcohol is barely noticeable here.
Taste is bitter coffee then a quick sweetness like a malt ball then the bitterness takes back over and ends in a fig/raisin flavor. Cool.
Mouthfeel is a little sticky but you can't tell the alcohol in this one until it hits the back of the throat well after the embibing.
Drinkability is pretty good for such a big barleywine. Bells did a pretty good job here considering how awful 9000 was.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Brown, with red when held to the light. Good head, good lacing.

Smell: Hits with some dark fruits to start, then mild citrus aroma.

Taste: A real mixed bag. Reminded me of the roasted flavors of a porter but without the usual coffee or chocolate. Bitter pine hop flavors come through and has a dry finish.

Drinkability: Limited availability and high price mean one is probably all I'll have.

A hard one to decipher for me. I suppose the massive ingredient list battled it out and what my taste buds said was "bitter porter". Interesting to try, maybe aging would make this one better.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Wow. I don't even know how to describe this one. Barleywine? No. This one is an American Strong ale by my standards. The beer pours a deep mahogany to dark brown with a thin cream colored head that settles quickly. Retention is average, and a thin froth remains on the surface. Lacing is excellent.

The smell is a bit faint. Mostly malt, with dried fruit, caramel, and toast. Hops are faint on the nose, but express floral character.

Taste is almost mind-blowing. Citrusy and grassy, with malt notes of caramel, honey, baked bread and dark fruit. Hops are clearly abundant, with more floral and fruity notes, leading to a long, dry finish.

Overall, Bell's did an awesome job with the final "Batch" brew. It wasn't my favorite, but still worth buying. This beer has some longevity, as it will likely mellow and develop some serious flavors in the long run. Get it while you can!

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into NB globe.

A: Pours a deep dark brown with minimal light passing through. Generous frothy head with very dense creamy bubbles and heavy lacing.

S: notes of deep roasted and caramel malts which is surprisingly mild for the abv. Some hop character kicks in as well with earthy and spicy notes. Overall, the nose is rather muted.

T: nice mellow malty character up front with some notes of chocolate and raisins, big hop character kicks some bitterness in and the finish is all hops. The hops are piny with deep earthy tones.

MF: thick body with creamy texture, mellow carbonation, very nice.

D: for how big this beer is and how many ingredients are packed in, this brew is quite mellow. The hop character is interesting. The abv is very well hidden which makes for a drinkable barleywine. Not quite as bold as I would expect.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottle poured into a Goose Island tasting nonic.

A: Nice, frothy, tan head sits on top of a fairly clear, dark ruby/brown body. The head retains pretty nicely, with plenty of webbing left behind.

S: Hops, booze, raisins, and oddly a hint of melon. It's an interesting nose, for sure--I can't think of much like it offhand. There's a light, lemony sweetness to it that I can't pin down, but enjoy.

T: Chocolate, dark malt balanced with some nice hopping both up front and lingering through the dry finish. Really nicely done--balance of hops and malt, booze.

M: Medium mouthfeel, a little bit of chew and a nice mouth-coating sensation. Not too hot at all--just barely noticeable.

D: Overall, pretty high. Balanced bitterness from malt and hops, and not at all too sweet as many American interpretations of the style can be, at least while young. Really well done.

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip. 9% ABV

The Dtrain's next stop is in Comstock Michigan to try Bell's limited edition Batch 10,000 Ale. This American barleywine is heavy. Thick pour of dark purple. The aroma is all malts, almost too much. Big hops and malts in the well balanced with coco, fruits, coffee.

Thre is a lot going on here. The malts do get a bit overwhelming but this barleywine is enjoyable.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Boom. 1st review. Take that, posterity!

Look is dark brown, not black.

Smell is interesting. I like that school lunchroom trash-bin remark a previous reviewer made. It gets better.

Taste is great & complex. After tasting & enjoying the other beers that I would deem similar (Founders Nemesis '10, Sierra Nevada 30th Jack & Ken's Black Barleywine, ST Iniquity, Widmer W'10. et al...), I would have to say this is one hell of a fine beverage. Nice & smooth. But then again, I'm a raging alcoholic. Take that for what it's worth. Now & forever. Amen.

Feel is awesome. Someone said it stays there. Yep. Because I want it to. stay. there.

Dinkability is off the chart. Taking it all into account as the nurse (she's a new one, cute - nice purse) administers my IV, I am glad I purchased more than one 6'er.

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a deep brown with amber highlights. A half an inch or so of loose, khaki tan head. The head falls to a ring that leaves a few spots of lacing.

I smell caramel and toffee...upon agitation I smell some woody / piny hop notes. It kind of reminds me of chicory coffee. Not bad, not great, not what Id expect for a one time limited release.

I taste bitter woody root flavors. Chicory, pine, bark, and horehound come to mind...It is a bit earthy with caramel and toffee undertones.

Full bodied with minimal carbonation...this beer just sits in my mouth.

This beer is not bad, its just not that good. Its not hard to drink, its just not fun to drink! Im not sure what they were going for with this one. It has elements of stouts, barleywines, old ales, porters, and IPA's. It reminds me of something one of my co-workers brewed once. Too much is too much.

5 to the cellar!

(edit 2-20-11: this beer is getting much better with just a little time on it. The aroma and taste have improved with just a couple months in the cellar. I think Ill stock up on these in the name of science.)

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- maroon dark with a bit of head that hangs out for a whiiile

Aroma- all malt. So much for those 60 hops ;) chocolate roastyness and some dark fruit flavors

Taste- remarkbly well balanced for having so much going on. Tastes of dark fruit, mild hops, a bit of sweet chocolate and roasted flavor

Drinkability- Very drinkable for such a big beer... Definitely something that will Change a lot from year to year

Mouthfeel- smooth, very nice

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Live review of a 12 oz bottle (batch 10,000... oh, wait...)
A: Purplish black with brown hues, poured with a one-finger tan head that settled to a thick film and collar that leaves a lacing.
S: Definite roast like smoked bacon, a nice blackberry caramel sweetness. Hints of other fermentables: molasses, mead, wheat, and creamy oats kind of complicate things... but aren't detrimental. There is apple here (not sour). I can't describe it but it has some characteristics of a Belgian stout... maybe it's the slight cigar or the yeast fingerprint?
T: Nice creamy thick roasted malts and dark fruits (raisins, blackberries, raspberries) turn to a creamy wheat froth that is washed away with a crisp alcohol like wine, mead, and gin but lingers like rum with an oaky vanilla. A lingering roasted meat with a slight acidity that comes off almost like very sweet apples (fuji).
M: Thick with a creamy frothiness that is wisked away with a cleansing alcohol.
D: OK. One 12 oz is enough.

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my DFH Snifter.

A - Poured out of the bottle it resembles maple syrup in consistancy, maybe a tad thinner but its definitely got some viscosity. Pours really dark brown to almost black and you can't see anything through the glass. Pours a nice 1 1/2 finger head that is tan in color and slowly turns into a perfect cap and ring around the glass also leaving some sticky white lacing.

S - Chocolate and coffee come to my nose right off the bat. Perhaps also some vanilla and caramel tones as well. Smells very smooth and sweet. Toffee definitely is in here. Smells almost of a stout. Familiar smelling to say the least.

T - Wow this is smoooth but got some pretty good alcohol kick to it. Some ageing will mellow that out I hope. I taste carmel and chocolate right away. Theres also lots of those toffee notes that came from the nose as well. Vanilla and sweetness finish this off with that slight alcohol burn. Very enjoyable.

M - Very creamy and syrupy. It has some good carbonation to hold up to the big flavors and really is a great beer.

D - A very drinkable beer. I didn't get to try any of the other Batch beers from Bell's as I jumped on the bandwagon to late but this beer is awesome and if the rest of the Batch series tasted like this one, then I really missed out. I will be ageing a few of these from my six pack just to see what some time does to the beer but this is still a very drinkable beer now.

Bell's Batch 10000 from Bell's Brewery, Inc.