Oscar's Folly - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Oscar's Folly
No picture.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: wisrarebeer on 05-30-2011

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Orange amber colored beer. No literally NO bubbles rising from the surface [which is shocking (see mouthfeel)]. Eggshell white head that leaves no real sign of lacing.

S: citrus and earthy tones.

T: The beer could definitely be considered mild compared to a Stone Ruination or a Sierra Nevada Torpedo, however it is by no means a simple taste. To the last sip it kept you searching for the perfect way of describing it. It starts Piney, but not overpowering. I tasted a bit of the normal grapefruit tones but they weren’t as strong as a normal IPA. It has a mild caramel taste in the middle of the sip. And it finishes with a pineapple flavor (like pineapple that had been soaking in alcohol). The finish is dry but not super desert dry.

M: medium body, medium- medium high carbonation (surprising with no apparent carbonation bubbles). It was also very easy to drink.

O: Overall I was very impressed by this beer. I would have never guess that this wasn't a Bells handcrafted beer by strictly the taste. The fact that this was once a homebrew is a bit mind blowing (even after having good experiences brewing my own beer). I would highly recommend this beer to anyone especially some one who fancies IPAs. I would also highly recommend stopping by Bells Brewery in Kalamazoo Michigan. This was my second trip this year and every time I have had an experience nothing short of wonderful. And from what I know this beer is only sold on tap there.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

I had this beer June 1st, 2011 on the patio at Bell's Eccentric Cafe.

Appearance: Pours orange-amber with a fine white head.

Smell: Strong grapefruit and floral aromas.

Taste: Mild malt taste with very strong citrus/grapefruit and floral hop tastes. Very crisp, refreshingly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Light body and carbonation. I noted a slight chewiness on the finish that I enjoyed.

Overall: Light and refreshing IPA with great grapefruit citrus notes. A little more malt may have balanced the hops out, but then again there's a reason this won the homebrewers' contest. I wish my homebrews were near this good!

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

I was fortunate enough to stop by the brewery for the first time and also be present when they put this one on tap on May 27th at 1805.

Bell's had their first-ever homebrew competition and the winner had their beer brewed commercially at the brewery.

A: nice amber color, good head
S: malt and tons of grapefruit
T: mild in malt with good grapefruit finish
M: easy drinking but lighter in body for ABV
O: good IPA, tons of hops but not well-balanced

Oscar's Folly from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.