Bell's Amber Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Amber AleBell's Amber Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2001)
Reviews by mpcrump:
4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Nice amber color. Not much head.

S: Malts and hops very well balanced. Not strong but not weak.

T: Starts out with a nice citrus hop taste and ends slightly bitter. Just a hint. Love that.

M: Very nice and balanced. Perhaps a bit sweet. But again just a hint.

D: Very nice combinations. I tend to prefer Ambers and I think this one does quite well.

A- Nice light amber color with a small white head the quickly dissipates.

S- Sweeter malt is a light scent with a small hop backbone, not very strong but it is pleasant.

T- Nice mix of malts, some sweeter than others, bit of a bitterness at the end with a slight citrus hop flavor, balances well with the malt.

M- Medium body and on the higher side of medium carbonation. Nice and crisp finish.

D- Very good beer, one of the better amber's that I have had. Nothing too special but would make an excellent session beer.

Reviewed on: 11-05-2010 00:13:20
Report Abuse | id: 1305330

philosobeer ( Chicago, Illinois )

A / 4.35
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | drink: 5
rDev: +11.5%

First, Let Me Say why I decided to review this beer is that I still think it's underappreciated in the amber ale style. I had a couple little moments of clarity about beer while drinking this beer years ago, and I wanted to confront it again. I wanted to see if my now-better-attuned palate still held it in such high regard and find out why or why not. And as a defense against a mostly-IPA-drinkin' friend who said to me "Do you really LIKE that beer?

Yes. I do like this beer.

Start with the nose, shall we? I think that I used to be hit a little harder by the hop aromas, but now? I smell the malt first. Smells a touch english in the grain profile, tending to bitter -- crystal grain on pale malt and a bit of grainy sweetness. But, the hops blossom floral and full. It's a good balancing act they played here wth that.

Moving along, let me talk about the taste and drinkability here. It really comes out with something that lands on your tongue light and crisp, hits you with some orange-blossom hops and slightly warm sweetness, drys out bitter at the end... it leads you to take another drink. Something of a creaminess here, too, and I cannot no matter how hard I try figure this one out.

This has some things I love about amber ale and about beer in general. It's complex, it's doing its own thing, and it isn't overpowering you with hops (which I think can be left to IPA). Let me use the word again -- Balance -- you taste the awesome floral hops and even a bit of citrus, but you taste the classic amber malt body too. I'm not going to call it my favorite beer, but it's possibly my favorite amber. Good show!

Reviewed on: 11-03-2010 19:52:05
Report Abuse | id: 1304252

Shrews629 ( Leitchfield, Kentucky )

B / 3.65
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | drink: 3.5
rDev: -5.5%

Appearance - Very nice amber, copper color showing some orange hues. Substantial off white head that hung around for a bit and left a solid amount of lacing. Mostly clear body.

Smell - Attractive caramel malt pulling its way to the front of the nose. I'm also detecting a bit of a peach smell. Seems to be a bit more fruity in the hops department than most Ambers I have encountered. Nice and well balanced in the nose.

Taste - Malty at first in the taste, but gives way to the fruit kick. The malt is still the main ingredient however. A nice stab of the alcohol comes in at the end and brings a bit of the warmth and toastiness.

Mouthfeel - Seems to me to be a little thin on the mouthfeel, but it does finish rather dry and crisp. Coats the throat and tongue delicately.

Drinkability - This, all in all, is not a bad little brew. Nice bit of warmth at the end. The beer looks great and is very enticing. I'm glad I gave it a try. It's a brew that I wouldn't have a bit of trouble quaffing for and evening.

Reviewed on: 11-02-2010 20:18:03

mpcrump, Dec 05, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

The flagship of Bells,pours a medium amber color with a nice medium sticky head,the aroma is is sweet with a good hop presence.A very nice balanced ale starts out malty sweet and fruity with a nice hop bitterness in the finish.A personal favorite and easy to find when Iam home in Michigan.

oberon, Aug 07, 2003
3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance – This is a gorgeous Amber Ale. The body is deep, rich, and hazy orange and the head is huge. It came up with an easy pour, showed great retention, and left some cool-looking lace on the inside of my glass.

Smell – The light, grainy notes are quite nice. They are laden with an orangy sweetness and a rather impressive hop profile.

Taste – This is about as good as American grain gets. It is husky but smooth and complimented by a nice sweetness, which I have found to be quite repugnant in most other grainy ales. The grassy hops keep this one balanced.

Mouthfeel – Closer to medium-bodied than light, this crisp American Amber goes down well and even has a bit of dryness at the finish.

Drinkability – I’m not a huge fan of the style, but this is about as good as it gets. Or, I should say, about as good as I’ve had to date.

Comments – Thanks to feloniousmonk for including this in a nice trade package.

RoyalT, Jul 10, 2004
3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

Beautiful bright orange with lots of yummy yeasties floating around to distinguish the men from the people who don’t like little white aliens floating aroung in their beer.

Thin beige head. Cool Bottle.

Overall, I dig the presentation both in and out of the bottle.

Smell is pretty sweet and not to exciting.

Pretty darn robust taste but it could be better. Lots of flowers and citrus, toasted grain, slightly bitter.

I bet it would be better on tap.

Very, very drinkable any time of the year.

DaPeculierDane, Sep 06, 2005

t2grogan, Oct 05, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +11%

Shakerman, Mar 15, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Medium amber color when poured into a pint glass. Small off-white head with several minutes of retention; good lacing.

S: Nice complexity of malts and hops. Not too aromatic but enjoyable.

T: Malts and hops blend together tipping toward the malty side. The flavors are richly married but not overwhelming. The finish allows the light bitterness of the hops to come through and allows it to be relatively quick and clean.

M&D: Light to medium body and fullness. Little to no separation on the tongue let the flavors stay together all the way down. Smooth.

I really like this one. If you are serving this to a squeamish friend, beware of the sediment on the bottom of the bottle. It made no difference to me whatsoever but there was no mention on the label or I would have poured more carefully. Beautiful ale!

SIRIUS2, Feb 10, 2008

joemetric, Jul 10, 2014

Bitzer, Aug 19, 2014

bdkucharski, Feb 18, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a very murky orange color, with the yeast I poured in accidentally. Smell is quite funky. I don't like it much at all (although I can't describe what it is I don't like...). Taste isn't all that bad (compared to other Bell's beers I've had), although I'm really not all that crazy about it. There's some malty, with a bit of creamy texture, and a little citrusy hops.

This, to me, is yet another disappointing Bell's beer. While it's better than some other Bell's beers such as Cherry Stout and Two Hearted (shudder), it isn't a beer I'd buy again. There are just too many good ones out there to waste my money on semi-drinkable brews.

skybluewater, Dec 24, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer pours a nice golden amber color with a 1/2" think head. The head lingers for a bit, but dissipates pretty quickly. My nose picks up some malt tones coupled with hoppy undertones. Quite nice overall. There is quite a bit of yeast floating in the glass...and even more on the bottom of the bottle. The first sip comes with a strong sweet malty flavor and a bit of hop bite on the finish. Biterness is hardly there...mostly caramel tones and a bit of a bready yeast flavor. It's quite a tasty ale and goes down clean and smooth. This definetly would qualify as a quality session brew. Bell's produces some fine brews and this one is no exception.

orbitalr0x, Sep 08, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Another yummy beer from my Bell's mixpack. Brazenly purchased in Harrisburg, PA, and stealthily brought back across the New York State border via an underground tunnel that was carved out under the Hudson River at least a half century ago. Maybe drinking Bell's in New York City makes it taste better because we vociferously aren't supposed to have it. If so, who cares? This is a great beer.

It pours a nice deep amber (duh) with about a one-inch head. The aroma hops aren't too far forward and the maltiness you get from quaffing this beer is also present in the aroma.

This is an Amber you could drink gallons of and not get tired of it. Some nice biscuity flavors going on here.

nycjag, Nov 02, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

sabitu, Apr 09, 2012

Outchillen, Mar 15, 2012

danthehopslamman, Aug 10, 2013

beaversfan12, Sep 28, 2013
4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a Cigar City snifter (my all-purpose glass for vacation time beer drinking).
The beer was a hazy copper color with a small tan head.
Caramel malt aroma, sweet. Both floral and citrus hops.
Very much caramel in the taste, late hops, mostly citrus, but some piney hops also.
A little more depth in the mouthfeel than I'm accustomed to in this style.
Very sessionable.

lordofthewiens, Feb 07, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Cask at The Soup Spoon

Pours reddish brown with no head at all. Aromas of caramel malt, a bit of bread and maple, vanila and a faint nuttiness. Taste is similar with a bit of hops thrown in. Pretty nice. I've had this in bottles several times, and it is noticeably more enjoyable on cask. Very smooth mouthfeel with a faintly bitter finish. This is a style I normally don't enjoy that much except for hoppier ambers, but on cask this is pretty enjoyable.

warnerry, Jun 01, 2012
3.55/5  rDev -7.3%

Bell's Amber poured a golden amber with lots of big flakey particles, and a nice creamy thick head with nice retention - almost stout-like. The aroma was pretty underwhelming with some slight fruity tones. It was a nice tasting amber with a fruity initial flavor and a nice hoppy finish. Overall, a good drinking amber ale.

Beaver13, Nov 28, 2003
Bell's Amber Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.