2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Amber Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Amber AleBell's Amber Ale

Ratings: 2063

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Amber Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,063 | Reviews: 843 | Show All Ratings:
philosobeer

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

First, Let Me Say why I decided to review this beer is that I still think it's underappreciated in the amber ale style. I had a couple little moments of clarity about beer while drinking this beer years ago, and I wanted to confront it again. I wanted to see if my now-better-attuned palate still held it in such high regard and find out why or why not. And as a defense against a mostly-IPA-drinkin' friend who said to me "Do you really LIKE that beer?

Yes. I do like this beer.

Start with the nose, shall we? I think that I used to be hit a little harder by the hop aromas, but now? I smell the malt first. Smells a touch english in the grain profile, tending to bitter -- crystal grain on pale malt and a bit of grainy sweetness. But, the hops blossom floral and full. It's a good balancing act they played here wth that.

Moving along, let me talk about the taste and drinkability here. It really comes out with something that lands on your tongue light and crisp, hits you with some orange-blossom hops and slightly warm sweetness, drys out bitter at the end... it leads you to take another drink. Something of a creaminess here, too, and I cannot no matter how hard I try figure this one out.

This has some things I love about amber ale and about beer in general. It's complex, it's doing its own thing, and it isn't overpowering you with hops (which I think can be left to IPA). Let me use the word again -- Balance -- you taste the awesome floral hops and even a bit of citrus, but you taste the classic amber malt body too. I'm not going to call it my favorite beer, but it's possibly my favorite amber. Good show!

11-03-2010 19:52:05 | More by philosobeer
StoutHunter

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

I picked up a six pack of Bell's Amber Ale last week for $8.99 at Krogers. I have drank many bottles of this beer in my life, but for some reason I never got around to reviewing it, so since I was in the mood for a well made Amber Ale I decided to pick up a six pack and give it a proper review, so here it goes. Batch# 10624 bottled on August 16 2011. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label is simple yet classy looking, I have always thought it was pretty classic looking. It poured a hazy orangish amber color with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and it left some nice lacing. Now this is a proper looking Amber Ale.

S- The aroma starts of with lots of sweet malts that impart a nice slightly toasted grainy aroma. The hops are the other half of the aroma and at first smell pretty floral with some citrus at the end. The aroma is a nice balanced mixture of malts and hops.

T- The taste is pretty similar to the aroma. The first thing I pick up is a good amount of lightly sweet malts that have a nice amount of toast to them and impart some nice caramel flavors. The hops are on the light side but still retain that nice mixture of hops with the floral hops showing up the most and just a little bit of citrus that shows up more towards the end and in the the after taste which has a very light amount of bitterness on the finish.

M- Really smooth, slightly crisp, medium bodied, and it had a high amount amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was spot on for an Amber Ale.

Overall I thought this was an excellent Amber Ale. This beer is exactly what a great Amber Ale should be light, great balance between malts and hops, great looks, great mouthfeel, and great drinkability. I could have drank a six pack of this in a sitting, its got good flavor and it goes down so smooth that I can't help but want to grab another one. This is also a great beer to have with dinner and goes great with a steak or a bratwust. What I like most about this beer is pretty much everything, it looks good, it smells good, it tastes good, and it feels good, its firing on all cylinders. There isn't really anything I don't like or would change about this beer, it is fine just the way it is. I will be buying this beer again as I have for a while now, it's a great example of it's style and I will always have room in my fridge for a six pack. This beer should be tried by everyone, and if you love Amber Ales, this is one of the best widely available ones. So far this has been the best Amber Ale I have had, it has the right amount of balance that to me makes the perfect Amber Ale. Bell's really does a great job at making a beer to style with great balance, I find a lot of Amber Ales are either malt forward or hop forward, but this beer was right in the middle and that is how it should be done, other brewers need to take note.

11-04-2011 03:35:27 | More by StoutHunter
UncleFlip

Alabama

Bottled 6.3.03- tasted 7.19.05

Nice honey-orange colour, a bit hazy. Looks a bit like a hefe.

Smell is fruity, with hints of orange and a VERY slight musky quality. Some hops behind it.

Taste is very pleasant, a little woody and spicy, with subtle sweetness underneath. Hops kick in at the end.

Fizz hits right off and disappears quickly. Nice and creamy after. Alcohol hits WAY after everything else is gone.

This one gets tops for drinkability. I could make a nice evening of it.

Be well
-UF

07-19-2005 20:03:43 | More by UncleFlip
sonicdescent

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appears a copper color with a moderately small off white head. Very hazy. High carbonation.

The first hint of the nose is a citrus scent, surprising expecting the advertised malt to jump out. A little agitation gets some of the sweeter caramel scent. Very nice.

Taste..Very very good. A great balanced drink that doesn't equate balance with weakness. There is definitely some hop and malt action here. Begins sweet and ends bitter, with a citrus aftertaste.

Mouth is appropriate. Relatively thin bodied and relatively high carbon.

Drinkability is very good, this is one of my favorite of this style and if I am in the market for an American Amber, I would go here.

01-08-2009 01:33:36 | More by sonicdescent
droomyster

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a beautiful hazy amber, full of fine particles gently suspended mid-body. A small tan head to top it off. Aromas are subtle but extremely good. Sweet drizzly malts like molasses and citrus hops. The taste is stunningly good. Perfectly balanced; complex malts with flavors ranging from tropical fruit to toffee, toasty goodness backed by equally complex hops that span the floral spectrum and with a touch of oranges. Extremely tasty. Medium body is sticky; its flavors linger long. I could become a evangelist for this brew. Exceptionally good taste in an eminently drinkable beer.

01-29-2009 09:31:50 | More by droomyster
hotstuff

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

I had this beer on tap at Bell's and I really, really enjoyed drinking it. In fact, this is a beer that I would drink all night at a bar or party. In fact, one just wasn't enough as it went down very smoothly and I just had to have more and more and more. It ended up being a fun night at Bell's!

07-10-2003 10:10:44 | More by hotstuff
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

12oz bottle served cold, right out of the fridge and poured into a New York Harbor Pint Glass

A - Poured a very nice orange tinted amber with a large three finger high head of thick white foamy lace that towered over the top of the glass. Very nice retention let this one hang around for a good long while before it was able to finally settle down and relax into a small pillow of white lace across the top of the glass. Nice carbonation was apparent as chains of bubbles rippled up to the service from the bottom of the glass. There was also a decent amount of cloudiness or haze to it as well that was very easy to pick up, along with just the slightest amount of floating sediment, which eventually filtered its way out.

S - The aroma was surprisingly hoppy for an amber ale, which to be honest shocked me a bit. Usually you expect an amber ale to just be the usually malty ale, but this was thinking to shape up to be a different kinda of ale. The first whiff that came across was clearly a floral pine like hoppiness that cut right through the underlying, malty base. There were definitely some hints in there of earthy notes, cereal like grains and a touch of bready like notes in the back. Rather complex for a straight up amber ale, and really quite nice.

T- The flavor itself followed along with the aroma very closely. To be honest it was much more of a well balanced IPA like flavor then that of an amber, but still very very well. There was a first initial rush of hops that greeted you as soon as the first flavor hit your tongue, as this rolled past the sugary malted backbone started to come though. Hints of grain and bread along with some nice notes of orange and even a touch of tangerine started to come though. All of these were blended very well and gave this a staggeringly good balance. The finish was strong and bitter with a huge hop presence. Nice dried out pine flavor to cap it all off.

M - The feel was also just great. A light to medium bodied ale, it had a little more weight to it then I would have thought it would have. Great carbonation lasted throughout the entire session, never going flat and keeping it from feeling dull. No slickness or watered down flavor here.

D - This was almost a perfect session beer. The ABV was low and the flavors were very tonight and well put together. Great carbonation with a crisp, clean and refreshing feel to it. I really could have put down the entire sixer my self and not even looked back.

Overall this was a very good beer here from Bell's/ I had not really had much experience with their regular lineup, tending to stick more with the bigger seasonal offerings, but this may have changed my mine, really showing what they can pull off on a more mass produced level. This was very good and I would not hesitate to try it again on any condition.

01-28-2008 10:40:40 | More by mikesgroove
dmamiano

West Virginia

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

nice, copper colored ale, with a nice, off white head and some lacing.
At first smell, I could tell right away I was in for a treat. Heavy malts hit the nostrills. Caramel malt were detected, sweet and heavy with nary a note of hops. My eyes almost rolled bck in my head from pleasure.
Tatse was big o malts, thick in the mouthfeel with heavy malts of caramel, bready and nice.
Good, good beer1

07-11-2008 22:22:00 | More by dmamiano
psugrad98

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured a reddish brown into a pint glass. Nice thick foam hung throughout with slight lace as beer went down.

Slight sweet hints of sweet carmel malts with hoppy undertones. Very smooth and slightly sweet maltiness was first flavor followed by smooth balancing hoppiness. Finished smooth and was very drinkable. A very approachable Amber ale that is neither too hoppy or too malty. Very nice and balanced.

09-28-2008 13:03:15 | More by psugrad98
fastsrt

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

poured form the bottle to a pint glass nice head that stayed till the last sip, laced my glass and had a rich-golden brown color, there was quite a bit of sediment in floating around. smelled of malt all the way. Just the way it smelled, this ale tasted of malt with just enough bitter to balance out the sweetness. over all i enjoyed this beer and could easily knock a few back.

12-19-2009 05:38:23 | More by fastsrt
alexhammond

Maine

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

my first Bell's product, and what a treat this one was.

the first scents I notice are fruity, with a bit of citrus and hops, all blended together nicely.
in the taste, I'm getting some hints of pear, apple, and maybe some kind of berry flavor. a bit of hops gives it just enough bitterness to balance out the sweeter flavors.

by far, one of the best amber ales I've had, the balance and intensity of the flavors really makes this one unique.

12-25-2009 20:47:10 | More by alexhammond
mpcrump

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Nice amber color. Not much head.

S: Malts and hops very well balanced. Not strong but not weak.

T: Starts out with a nice citrus hop taste and ends slightly bitter. Just a hint. Love that.

M: Very nice and balanced. Perhaps a bit sweet. But again just a hint.

D: Very nice combinations. I tend to prefer Ambers and I think this one does quite well.

A- Nice light amber color with a small white head the quickly dissipates.

S- Sweeter malt is a light scent with a small hop backbone, not very strong but it is pleasant.

T- Nice mix of malts, some sweeter than others, bit of a bitterness at the end with a slight citrus hop flavor, balances well with the malt.

M- Medium body and on the higher side of medium carbonation. Nice and crisp finish.

D- Very good beer, one of the better amber's that I have had. Nothing too special but would make an excellent session beer.

Reviewed on: 11-05-2010 00:13:20
Report Abuse | id: 1305330

philosobeer ( Chicago, Illinois )

A / 4.35
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | drink: 5
rDev: +11.5%

Yes. I do like this beer.

Reviewed on: 11-03-2010 19:52:05
Report Abuse | id: 1304252

Shrews629 ( Leitchfield, Kentucky )

B / 3.65
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | drink: 3.5
rDev: -5.5%

Appearance - Very nice amber, copper color showing some orange hues. Substantial off white head that hung around for a bit and left a solid amount of lacing. Mostly clear body.

Smell - Attractive caramel malt pulling its way to the front of the nose. I'm also detecting a bit of a peach smell. Seems to be a bit more fruity in the hops department than most Ambers I have encountered. Nice and well balanced in the nose.

Taste - Malty at first in the taste, but gives way to the fruit kick. The malt is still the main ingredient however. A nice stab of the alcohol comes in at the end and brings a bit of the warmth and toastiness.

Mouthfeel - Seems to me to be a little thin on the mouthfeel, but it does finish rather dry and crisp. Coats the throat and tongue delicately.

Drinkability - This, all in all, is not a bad little brew. Nice bit of warmth at the end. The beer looks great and is very enticing. I'm glad I gave it a try. It's a brew that I wouldn't have a bit of trouble quaffing for and evening.

Reviewed on: 11-02-2010 20:18:03

12-05-2010 03:44:04 | More by mpcrump
AleWatcher

Bottle into tulip pint.

Orangey amber body with a small tan head. Incredible retention. Thick lacing is virtually opaque before it slowly rides the legs back into the body.
Smells of toffee, caramel, and a pleasant, though surprising, note of something reminding me of coffee.

Wow is this drinkable. Without paying much attention I've sucked down 3/4 of my glass... Nice little hop note at the back providing a punchy little dry bitterness. Roasty malt with some sweet caramel and toffee up front. Very nice for an amber ale.

Feels medium bodies, well-carbonated, and a little oily.

Overall- this really is a great amber ale. It won't ever get the love and praise it deserves: it is just a solidly well-made beer... Of course, coming fr Bell's I would expect no less.

07-10-2012 02:30:27 | More by AleWatcher
stckhndlr

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

A- Quite a dark amber color. good head and lacing. Cloudy with sediment that reminds me of some quads I have had before.

S- good solid notes of caramel and breadiness. A hint of spice as if from the hops.

T- That is just delightful. Sweet bready caramel up front with a hoppy bitter in the finish.

M- All is right with this one. Perfect balance of smoothness and carbonation. Just right.

O- This is a great amber that will be gracing my fridge for years to come.

07-13-2013 18:46:50 | More by stckhndlr
AtLagerHeads

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Whoa Nellie. This is one great beer. An incredible cloudy orange amber brew covered by heaps of golden tan creamy head. Lovely, really lovely looking beer. Gorgeous lace deposits that won't quit. The nose seems somewhat subdued 'neath the heavy cover of foam, but comes across as bready and yeasty. Looks to be lots of chewy substance in the fluid portion of the beer. Great balance between the grainy sweetness and the bittering hops. Lip-licking taste and a nice medium body that is perfectly matched to the look and taste of this great beer. Man, I'd like to get this on tap. Time to head north to Michigan.

Postscript notes: nose moves to caramel as the beer warms. Lots of cream sediment in the bottom of the glass. Please, go get yourself one of these.

04-29-2003 17:46:25 | More by AtLagerHeads
smerkinb

From notes on 4/23/09.

The Bottle label states this is the breweries "flagship" beer and promises a "rich, sweet flavor unlike any other". Let's see...

This is a pretty brew--1 finger loose tan head tops a wonderful burnt orange cloudy body. Remaining collar leaves negligible lacing throughout.

Smells of bready malts a touch of sweet that is coy at first but becomes more dominant. Smell almost syrupy sweet--almost get some coriander characteristics. So far so good, it's got me wanting some.

Sweet malt mixes with light floral hops. There's a moment of caramel that is only a peek-a-boo taste. Not too complex but seems well-balanced. The malts come through grainy and the hops never overwhelm, but instead finish things up nicely--turns a bit "hairspray-ish" after warming.

The mouth is almost poplike. It's tingly, but richer and thicker but never getting to "syrupy". It's definitely quenching as the finishing hops hit just the right note.

Tasty and refreshing-sweet yet quenching and nice overall balance. More? Yes, please. Perfect for a warm spring day!

05-13-2009 01:21:17 | More by smerkinb
cdizinno

South Carolina

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Poured into a tulip glass from a brown bottle with no best by date.

A: Cloudy dark orange amber with a light tan head. Heavy lacing leaves several thick rings on the glass.

S: Malty sweet with mild citrus hops and grains.

T&M: Medium bodied with moderate crispness from the carbonation. Nice mild malt sweetness. Excellent balance of citrus hop flavor that is not over the top. Taste fades slowly and nicely with toasted and citrus flavors.

I bought a 6-pack for the amazingly low price of $4!!! The taste is really growing on me and each one is getting better. I've had this on tap and it seems better in the bottle, but very similar.

08-24-2009 21:58:23 | More by cdizinno
JordanEllwanger

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

Beautiful amber color with that coffee cream head. A little cloudy and not very active, maybe less carbonation. Smells sweet and delicious, very ripe. Great tones of malt and hops swim across my taste buds. A superb blend of ale. Feels medium with a tendency towards the lighter side. My most frequent stop on the Bell's lineup.

Cheers.

12-19-2009 05:03:08 | More by JordanEllwanger
Bouleboubier

look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: hazy amber, with a load of dark, speckled sediment in suspension... don't know if this is normal, only having had this out of a bottle 2-3 times now... the haziness has been there each time

S: moderate-to-bold caramel... light bread crust, underlying herbal-earthy hop... background of red, cherry-ish fruit and perhaps a hint of roasted red pepper skin... complex... subtle culture funk?!... overall, very inviting to maltophiles (i.e. me)

T: supremely rich-malty - caramel up front, fruit and understated bitterness midway, toasty and bread-crumby finish... caramel carries and lingers throughout... floral hops in the aftertaste... actually fairly bitter - increasingly as it goes on

M: like a dextrin-rich 'stock ale' a la North Coast Old Stock or Founders Old Curmudgeon... slightly viscous... the alcohol is felt rather than explicitly tasted... long, smooth flow with a little fizzle on the back end... liquid love

O: fantastic, unique amber ale - unique in that it has a ton of the right flavors going on, perhaps crossing into a few style categories with its rich maltiness and body... worth a try - I've witnessed some casual beer drinkers digging this a lot

03-21-2014 17:47:02 | More by Bouleboubier
Jason

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

Presentation: On tap, served in a 16 oz. American tumbler glass.

Appearance: Cloudy orange hued amber with a well dispositioned tiny bubbled lace leaving several thick rings on the glass.

Smell: Malty sweet with overtones of fresh toasted grain and a subtle flowery oily hop holding a citric nose.

Taste: Well formed malt sweetness within the medium body, moderate crispness from the carbonation. Faint buttery diacetyl, toffee and toasted malt make for the base of this brew, a tamed yet multi-layered hop runs through a pungent bitterness, an oily flower and a citric flavour towards the end. After taste lingers long and hard with more toasted and citric flavours.

Notes: This is an awesome example of the American Amber Ale Style, robust and very flavourful yet still not a problem having a few or even making it a session beer. Right up there with Full Sail or Anderson Valley in greatness in this style.

06-12-2002 06:14:19 | More by Jason
budgood1

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

pours out a semi-cloudy copper colour with a rather paltry head that dies down to spider web of lace. delicious aroma of fruit; sweet maltiness balances the nose. tastes predominantly of the juicy hop load...some yeast...unlike any amber i've had before....impeccably smooth and full bodied. hop profile stays mostly fruity and citrusy, with hints of pine and spruce. any overriding bitterness is washed away by a malt base worthy of praise. finish is slightly bitter with notes of alcohol. this is a remarkable amber ale...full of hop flavour without the residual harsh bitterness. slides down without effort. a sessionable ale that would appeal to all.

cheers to feloniousmonk for the sample.

10-03-2003 23:35:34 | More by budgood1
bahumutx

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with the batch number of 6956.

Appearance: Pours a dark amber color with a small head. Lacing all around the class as I drink the beer.

Smell: A slight smell of malt and hops. Smell very delicious. Also a slight fruity aroma.

Taste: Very well balanced beer. Starts of somewhat sweet with a slightly bitter hop finish. More malt taste present then hop. Also can pick out a somewhat roasted malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light body that has appropriate carbonation.

Drinkability: A very drinkable beer. Could defiantly drink more then one in a sitting.

Overall, another great beer from Bells. They never cease to amaze me with their beers. Keep up the great work Bells!!!

08-10-2005 00:07:00 | More by bahumutx
Slatetank

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into a Boddington's hourglass shaped ale glass, served cold.

A - The appearance of Bell's flagship ale left something to be desired at first, perhaps due to my vigorous pour which produced a three finger head that gradually relaxed leaving plenty of lace. Suspended floating matter most likely yeast was evident in the golden amber liquid.

S - A delightful smell of honey like malt, faint berries, and tinges of woody hops mask a slightly estery ale yeast scent.

M - Medium body w/ adequate, but not overpowering carbonation. A sweet but light dryness leads to a crisp smooth finish.

T - Nice malt flavors are saddled by slightly citric hops at the initial taste. Pleasant nuttiness leaves a clean taste of pale malt and faint ginger spiciness and sweet wheat notes. More of an earthy flavor emerges as it warms.

D - Surprisingly drinkable, great example of the style. A beautifully balanced amber ale with subltle hops and a clean finish. Most definitely something you may want to session in my opinion.

04-10-2007 00:15:22 | More by Slatetank
Proteus93

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

A: A murky gold, quite a bit of sediment got poured in there. Decent retention on the off-white head.

S: Soft and sweet, light toasted malts, a bit of a floral scent.

T + M: A mild bodied drink, light & sweet toasted malts. A little bit of both a buttery feel and taste in there together, along with floral hops towards the end. Barely bitter, but just enough so to round it all out. Excellent.

D: I would have another of these in a heartbeat. There's not much more that could be done to make this any easier for me to drink.

02-21-2008 20:22:34 | More by Proteus93
scottyshades

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

A: Pours a light brown/caramel color with a 4 finger head that leaves a decent lace

S: Sweet nose, mostly roasted malts and caramel...overall a sweet smelling beer. Nice and piney hops.

T: Sweet; caramel, roasted malts, hops, and possibly molasses

MF: Clean, not dry, not bitter, good aftertaste, goes down easily

D: Superb, very drinkable, definitely my new favorite session beer during the summer

06-01-2008 02:40:08 | More by scottyshades
Bell's Amber Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.